PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel July 17 - 23

Lady Carol
07-17-2005, 04:47 PM
The place to post those unfinished pieces for advice or just to show that you have been painting. We would love to see them.

I have not had much of an opportunity to paint this week but the background has further progressed. A lot of work still remains before I start on the bird.
36X48 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2005/11811-hawk2-small.JPG

Artguy29
07-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Carol- I love how the background is coming out...it really captures the flight of the bird! :)

Here's what I'm currently working on - just a basic sketch so far:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2005/25905-canvassketch.jpg

Dave

Lady Carol
07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Dave: tahnks.

Your dog is loaded with personality already. This is going to be good.

Hazel_S
07-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Thank you for all your lovely comments when I posted this painting on last week's 'what's on your easel' thread....

(It's acrylic - 20" x 16" - on a box canvas)

I've done some more on Wednesday and yesterday so almost done now :)

Charlie's Mum
07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Hazel, are these two Cornish Cream Teas? ............ just needs the cuppa to go with them :D
Very inviting :D

Hazel_S
07-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Thank you :)
Yes they certainly are delicious aren't they... clotted cream too - I guess you can tell I have a sweet tooth ;)

tremblad
07-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Carol, I love your background. Makes me believe that the bird is in movement and flying very fast. Good job!

Faded
07-18-2005, 08:47 PM
This is what I've been up to in class. I only work on it there, so it's taking a while. It's about 80% along now. There is a story that goes with this picture, I'll condense it for the finished posting...lol. I will say this is the first portrait I've done of someone I've known personally. This is grisaille, 12x16 on 5/8" gallery wrap canvas. Thanks for lookin' : )
-Faded

Lady Carol
07-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Daniel: thanks for looking and the comments

David: your grisailles are fabulous in themselves. This is no exception at all.

Silent Jaguar
07-19-2005, 02:09 AM
This:

LisaArt
07-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Great work going on everyone!
I have so much dust on my easel at the moment, and it is the basement. Have been so busy this summer so far with so many guests visiting, that I had to clear out my little studio :( to make room for them, and I have not had a chance to paint.
Can hardly wait for September to start paitning again.
It has been inspirational to check up on what you guys have been up to. Bravo...and bye for now! Happy summer holidays to you all :)

Faded
07-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks Carol. Your sense of motion in the background is amazing, I can't wait to see the finished piece. Dave, your dog looks like he is listening to every word, and rarin to go. Those pastries are making me hungry Hazel. Great work everyone
-David

Lady Carol
07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
This:
And your easel area is way too neat. Stop that this instance :D

Silent Jaguar
07-20-2005, 01:23 AM
And your easel area is way too neat. Stop that this instance :D

I have a fixation on extremely efficient and tidy art materials such as easels and using the same brand. Yes, there is a Liquitex bottle of gesso, but it is filled with Golden's gesso. I had to compromise because Golden's gesso came in a big fat jar, it didn't match my other bottles nor did it fit on my easel. :o

Silent Jaguar
07-20-2005, 02:09 AM
.... just don't ask to view the other side of my studio... it's a different story.

KrisKoz
07-20-2005, 02:20 AM
Newbie here- love the idea of this thread.

Carol, I'm also diggin' that moving background you've got. Very cool!

I've had this sitting on my easel for a couple of weeks now. I have no directon for it. Anyone have any ideas?

timelady
07-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Some nice stuff here, love the scones! mmmmmm.... sorry I haven't contributed much lately. I'm working on a series of the 50 Oceanids (sea nymphs). Yes, 50 canvases. :) Fortunately they're only 12"x12". I've finished about 5 of them so will try and get some photos this afternoon. And that really big canvas I posted in the past is finally done! Rolled up and ready to ship. So I'll show you the end result of that too.... must get up the energy to leave the house now. *sigh*

Tina.

idylbrush
07-20-2005, 07:38 AM
This:

Oh my, another sparkling neat studio set up. May have to destroy my place now before it become infectious. :D

Starsprite
07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
This is what I've been up to in class. I only work on it there, so it's taking a while. It's about 80% along now. There is a story that goes with this picture, I'll condense it for the finished posting...lol. I will say this is the first portrait I've done of someone I've known personally. This is grisaille, 12x16 on 5/8" gallery wrap canvas. Thanks for lookin' : )
-Faded

Wow David!!! This is fantastic!!!! Is this Mr. Miller or maybe your dad? Your grisaille work is outstanding... hope you are enjoying your classes. :) :clap: :clap:

gnu
07-20-2005, 11:23 PM
SNAP! Kris, we have the same canvas setup! neato.. :clap:
Here's my Mum's pressie, she said doing the geese would be good practice!
Is it a bad thing dividing that one goose? or is he OK?
going to be lots of autumn colour in background, but it will be a little muted.
lots of ripples yet to go, and I'm trying hard to get some tones right, keeping it light and the focus on the bird coming at ya!
:D
each canvas 25cm x 50 cm, or 10" by 20". Knife
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2005/7242-IMG_7394_geese_wip_sm.jpg

gnu
07-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Love what's happening here, food, animals/birds, ppl, abstract, great going everyone!

gnu
07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Newbie here- love the idea of this thread.

Carol, I'm also diggin' that moving background you've got. Very cool!

I've had this sitting on my easel for a couple of weeks now. I have no directon for it. Anyone have any ideas?
DIRECTION! now there's a thought..how about a brighter colour giving the illusion of direction? like an arrow does, around the circle ,perhaps within the lighter colour? just a thought, you may hate it :) :rolleyes:

KrisKoz
07-21-2005, 03:40 AM
Gill! Rockin canvas set-up! :) ;) Have you done skewed canvases before? I haven't and I didn't start out trying to do it that way. I originally had the red sides facing inward, with the canvases side by side, then realized if I lined up my "centers" that my canvases may be more interesting because they *aren't* side by side. Anyway.... that's when I lost any sort of direction.

And thank you, your "direction" idea may have given me some!

As for your geese, I like the way you've placed them. Don't think splitting that one guy at the neck is bad at all. He's the goose that holds it all together. ;)

Can't wait to see what we both end up with. :)

Kris:music:

gnu
07-21-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks and this is my second setup like this..here's the first one, sold on Trade Me, an auction site here in NZ.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2005/7242-azure_bay.jpg
I am going to do many more cos ppl here like them..
thanks for your feedback, I thought he was a good link but it was never my intention to split one, but I think it works ok too. I changed head directions and even completely turned some of them around to keep the eye from straying out of the canvas..
glad I gave you a little food for thought too..

Lady Carol
07-21-2005, 12:02 PM
KrisKoz: it looks almost finished to me. The only bit I don't like is the patchy red, which I think needs more work. The rest is stunning.

tremblad
07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
KrisKoz, if that can give you any idea, when I first looked at your paintings, two things came in my mind. First was a "solar eruption" (hope this is the way you call it in English). Second one was an orange cut in the middle.

I like this kind of setup also (good for Gnu too)!

KrisKoz
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Gill- Fantastic scene! I love your water/waves. I'm sure there's no shortage of awesome views like that in NZ! :cool:

Carol- Thanks! I agree the red area needs work. :)

Daniel- very interesting! Thanks so much for your thoughts. I was worried it might be looking too ...pizza-esque. ;)

This feedback is...invaluable! Many thanks!
Kris:music:

timelady
07-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Here's my promised updates. A few of the finished sea nymphs, and a few unfinished. Did the underpaintings today. The bottom right one is a bit different for me, my unpaintings don't usually have tight edges. And of course the finished 'South Side 53rd Street' which gets shipped soon. :) The nymphs are 12"x12". The other one is 200x130cm. My biggest painting yet! Grr, well the south side one is too large because it's 550 x 375. I'll never understand the 500x600 rule. Only for portrait orientation evidently. Bah.

Tina.

Nitole
07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Hello How is everyone? This is a painting I just finished. I am going to sell prints of it and give the money I receive to the town to help fix the park that was destroyed by a tornado recently. The painting is acrylic on 11 X 14 inch canvas.

stevenbg
07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
"Evening Stroll".
From the ImageLibrary.
Started this one on Friday, and worked on it a little bit more today (Sunday).
I still have a LOT more to do on this one, (still blocking things in right now) but I think it has potential....

9X12" acrylic on Masonite.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2005/38431-IMG_0547.JPG