PDA

View Full Version : Varnishing? Charcoal, canvas, resin, acrylic

timelady
01-05-2002, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure how to varnish this piece and would love some advice. It's on stretched canvas: charcoal, alkyd resin and acrylic texture paste. Basically, I'm most concerned about smearing the charcoal if I try to varnish with a brush. (I've sprayed a small amount fixative on it). The alkyd resin brushed over it did smear the charcoal, which was my intention but I don't want the varnish to change the image of course!

Any ideas? Is there some sort of spray varnish I could use? preferably retail stuff as I'm not into making my own concoctions. I don't varnish my paintings often so am not an expert in this. :) Thanks! I may cross-post this in acrylics or oils so sorry if you read it twice.

Tina.

sassybird
01-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Timelady, I have used clear acrylic spray to fix some work and that has worked well. Are you wanting a shiney or matte surface to the piece? I tell you who would probably have the answer for you, mame. She does a lot of glazing with different things on her pieces. Send her a pm. I'm sure she would be happy to help you out.

timelady
01-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks for that. I will pm mame. And I'm actually looking for a variety of finish - shiney areas where the alkyd resin is and matte elsewhere. Not sure if I can combine the finishes. Or maybe leave the resin areas unvarnished? Could work since the areas that I know NEED to be varnished are the acrylic and charcoal areas. The resin should be fine anyway. Or so I think/hope/pray. :)

Tina.

arlene
01-09-2002, 03:15 PM
tina,
check the home improvement stores...they might have something to put down that'll help it adhere...that and sanding...i mean people do paint on plastic.

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Hi Tina :)
Folk Art and Plaid put out a Clear Acrylic Sealer that seals prints, paints, bisque, stain, charcoal, pastel, wood, glass, metal and cast resin and plaster.

www.joann.com has info too