PDA

View Full Version : It Did Not Sell! Is It Because It Is Summer or My Item Is Not Salable?

JUDERM
07-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Guys,

How are your views or sales so far this summer? I am trying to analize what went wrong to my "cat auction". Normally everytime I list a cat painting it always sells even in slow days. But this time I listed a cat oil original painting last 2 weeks ago and ended up with 282 views the other day but no one bid on it. Many people sent me emails during the auction complimenting the cat and loves it, however the listing ended with no bid. I even listed it with double FP for 10 days and ended on a Friday noon. During those times I was slow in listing items and listed only 3 pieces. Do you think the cause of this is because of the time it ended (noon time) or because the slow summer where everyone is off their computer or maybe because of their inspirations from some of my feedbacks that they were not move to buy. Usually cat sells all the time but this time it did not and I am curious to know what went wrong.

Are you having the same experience? If the reason is because my auction was listed during this very slow summer perhaps it is best not to list this season but wait until September. I am thinking of re-listing this but just in a regular listing. What do you think? I will pappreciate your answers. This is the link of my cat auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7334826869

Thank you very much!

Jude :confused:
artist

tortolitas
07-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Jude :confused:
artist

Must be summer...
competent work
reasonable price.

-guy

Helen Zapata
07-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey Jude :music:

I think that the problem was probably the ending time being Friday at noon. I've been watching my traffic patterns, and it seems like Fridays are much slower days for me. And, I don't know about other places, but remembering my days out at the workforce, it was on Fridays that we would tend to go out to lunch, in celebration of the coming weekend, rather than staying in the office. I imagine there just weren't enough people sitting in front of their computers when it ended.

It's a cute piece. I love the butterfly!

Helen

andymathis
07-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Yep, everything is saleable.
People can't buy what they can't find and see.

surreal
07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Alot of us have been complaining about the lack of views this summer.

There seemed to be a definite rise in views directly after the 4th of July, but it didn't last long enough.

However even powersellers do not seem to be earning as much as they used to this summer; I do alot of research on ebay and have observed this to be the case.
;)

Your cat looks very salable to me.
:)

Try listing it again in the Fall.

pampe
07-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Not every piece sells every time

At least for me

Maybe your experience has been better

I agree that ending on a Friday at noon is a very porr decision

Better luck next time

myblusky
07-16-2005, 04:25 PM
This summer is very bad due to all the changes Ebay has been going through with the alpha testing. Couple this with the fact that July is the busiest travel month of the year, plus you chose a Friday afternoon during the summer - most people leave work early on Friday afternoon to go do outdoor activities.
I would keep the kitty painting for now and relist it in the fall. Ebay will probably never be as profitable as it once was due to the changes it has made, however, I still think your painting will sell better in the fall.

gnu
07-16-2005, 04:31 PM
He's adorable and makes me smile! I sure don't sell everything at auction, I'm surprised you expect to..gotto match the buyer with the item, that doesn't always happen in the short time of an auction. I'm just happy if I see my sales going up, but I would never expect to sell everything first time, bound to get dissappointed with that view..
You sell on ebay with many more viewers, but harder to find the art you want, I sell with far fewer viewers on Trade Me here, yet much easier to browse, with fewer pieces to view, probably evens out a little.. I stopped auctioning over about 6 weeks here of summer, not enough pple looking.

jocelynsart
07-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Pretty salable as far as I can see. Maybe a bit high a starting bid for a slow period? However, don't open anything for less than you are willing to take. Sometimes, a second listing catches the right viewers and buyers online at the time that weren't the first listing. However, for a good ending price, maybe wait till Sept. Also, and this is personal, I am not a keen believer in listing a supposed Gallery price if you can't back that up. It kind of does turn some buyers of artwork off. They question why is it on eBay than? Just the way most people think. I'd maybe avoid that. One reason to avoid it is also: it could cap your price and if perchance someone Did reach a huge amount like that, they would see a stated value and not want to go beyond it maybe. I'd avoid, personally, mentionaing any values when choosing to auction something. An item where a definate retail price is well known is a different story then. Art, there is really no way of determining an exact value.
Jocelyn

TeAnne
07-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Amazing Painting. I wish I had the money. All your art is vibrant. Gorgeous.

JUDERM
07-17-2005, 09:14 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!

I really appreciate your feedbacks. It will help me figure out what to do in the future. Plus I am sure this will help a lot of artists with the same experience to know what to do in the future. I guess listing time is really important and the season it is being listed. I checked a couple of powersellers and currently, they have very few items listed as before. I guess it make sense not to list as much in this dry and slow season. I will just start making some paintings and stock them to list this fall. I will also list a few this summer season but just be wise on the timing. Maybe I should list them in a regular listing and a few or one FP every week. As time become close to fall I will start listing them again FP everyday if I can.

Thanks a lot everyone! Have a great summer!

Thanks, :wave:
Jude
artist

laurali
07-17-2005, 09:25 PM
My sales rate is anywhere from 10 to 80% (eBay seems to have mysterious slow pockets throughout the year, at least for me). I have a piece up now that I relisted three times...couldn't give it away. Now, it has two bidders and is up to $61. You never know.

I did learn not to end pieces on Sunday night when they were still showing new Desperate Housewives. No one was online ;-).

Laura

idahogirl
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I did learn not to end pieces on Sunday night when they were still showing new Desperate Housewives. No one was online ;-).

Laura
Good point! Will have to remember that when the season starts again

:wave:

Dee

surreal
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Good point! Will have to remember that when the season starts again

:wave:

Dee
Gosh - I don't watch too much television.
What time did it start on Sunday nights?
However, it may run on a different schedule next season.
;)

idahogirl
07-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Last season it was 9PM to 10PM on the west coast

Dee

surreal
07-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Last season it was 9PM to 10PM on the west coast

Dee
Thank you, Dee.

King Rundzap
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
This doesn't pertain to the cat painting, but I was browsing through some of your other listings and I noticed at least one without the dimensions of the painting listed. It just said "Huge" or something like that.

Give the actual dimensions, preferably in both inches and centimeters (you don't want to make it difficult for buyers either in the U.S. or other parts of the world). I wouldn't buy something without that information and a lot of other people probably wouldn't either.