PDA

View Full Version : See Through

Phish_Dead_Fan
07-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello.

i was wondering how to get my paints to be more see through, so i can see through to the color that is below. Say if i had a bas of black, and i wanted to show some highlight, and wanted to put a touch of white on it, but i didnt want the white to stand out too bad, would i mix the white with the black, or water the white down or something? can anyone help me?

bistus
07-14-2005, 02:18 PM
It depends on the color. Some colors are naturally more transparent than others. Compare alizarin crimson with cadmium red. Also, adding glazing medium can make an opaque color more transparent.

Wayne Gaudon
07-14-2005, 02:39 PM
As for your white, it's about value .. if you mix the proper value it won't stand out. As for seeing through a color it's about using transparant paint as a glaze (very thin color over an existing color).

sdkeene
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
As far as whites go, if you want transparency, use zinc white (referred to by Liquitex as "Transparent Mixing White"). Titanium white, even just a dab of it, will turn anything you mix it with opaque.

Radical Eel
07-14-2005, 04:09 PM
I put just a little color into some acrylic matte medium. For very transparent color just use the tiniest bit of color diluted in a lot of medium.