PDA

View Full Version : flax fields, and light o.p. over dark

sundiver
07-13-2005, 11:00 PM
At least I think they are flax...some pretty blue stuff, anyway, a 10-minute walk from my cottage. I went there twice today to do plein airs (with a sail in our catamaran in between). But when I tried to put the light blue over the dark greens, it looked pasty. Always the problem with oil pastels! When I got home I found a Sennelier that worked ok, and, um, well, a Terry Ludwig softie.

I'm not sure whether to smooth out all those dots; it may look like water if I do.

While I was doing the second one (backlit), a small brown rabbit kept me company the whole time.

I'll be going back there as long as those blue flowers are around, so welcome any advice as well as crits.
Thanks for looking!

CarlyHardy
07-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Wendy,
I really like the texture you've achieved in both of these. Both read as fields of flowers...no need for smoothing. Great color for the skies. And the open areas with the sky coming thru the backlit trees takes the eye into the distance for a great sunset scene. Hope you're planning to frame both of these!
carly

John B
07-14-2005, 04:36 AM
Wendy,
Agree with Carly both paintings read as blue flowers, I particularly like the top painting it feels as if you can make out individual bunches of flowers, Good job.

John

Pat Isaac
07-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Definitely reads as fields of blue flowers. the texture workds well. Absolutely love the feeling of the back lit trees.

Pat

goahead
07-14-2005, 11:28 AM
These are great!!!
I agree with what has already been sai but my fav is the first one, very very nice.

k9artisan
07-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Wendy,

You did a fabulous job on this! I imagine it was really hard to prevent the flowers from looking like water, and you have succeeded. Lovely picture.
Amber

ColorMyWorld
07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Wendy these are great! Those fields must be beautiful to see.
I wouldn’t blend the blue dots. They read nicely as a flower field.
It looks like you may be using a dark colored paper? If you think the light blue over the dark green looks pasty, would using a light colored paper help?

stonewhiteclown
07-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Wendy! I absolutely love the first painting! Please think about going big with those blue flowers ;) They are pleasure to the eye! The trees and the sky are great too.
The second one needs no introduction as the pines are all familiar :) Love adventurous colours in the sky!

sundiver
07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! :)
Ann, the matboard is green for the first and red for the second. It's not a problem putting light over that. The problem is putting light over dark o.p., something routinely done with softies but difficult with o.p.s.
Here's a photo of the fields in the general area of the plein airs: