PDA

View Full Version : Questions about colored inks

DaveTooner
01-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi,

I know colored ink isn't the most widely used medium, but I'm sure some of you here use 'em. First off, I was just wondering out of curiousity what you think the best brand of colored ink is. I'm using Winsor and Newton. I've been wanting to try some of the Dr. Martins inks as well.

Secondly, is there anything you can do to help preserve the color on a piece with non-lightfast inks? Everything I read says "keep away from light." Well, what if you want to display the original?! Surely there is something that can be done.

Thanks guys.

Dave
www.crewstoons.cjb.net

sassybird
01-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Dave, first of all let me welcome you to Wet Canvas. You will find a lot of helpful people here, and a great time too :)

The best advice I can give you is to stick with the color fast inks. I use Windsor Newton also and have never had any problems with them. I not only use them in my pens but as washes also. A few friends have pieces I did 30 yrs ago, and they have not faded from being on their walls.

kitaye
01-08-2002, 02:18 AM
I've been using FW Acrylic Inks on some of my Pen and Ink drawings. Being acrylic they are totally light fast and very bright. I don't know if you can use them in a technical pen since I use them as washes and with brushed images. The colors are pretty diverse and you get transparent all the way to opaque depending. I like the transparent colors myself.