PDA

View Full Version : tree study

chaz
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
This is about my third acrylic. This is based on an exercise from Terry Harrison's book Brush Acrylic.

9 x 12 on ungessoed 140lb strathmore series 300 watercolor paper using Blick artists acrylics.

Not especially pleased with it. have purchased some canvases and wil try painting on them instead of paper.

Artguy29
07-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I like this, Chuck. Maybe a little thicker at the bottom of the tree and some contrast in the leaves, but that's just me. You are progressing very well with acrylics. Good job!

Dave

family2dyl
07-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Way to go Chuck, your tree is looking good but I have to agree with Dave in that more contrast in the leaves might be needed. Keep up the good work though, you're doing really well.

jan409
07-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Chuck: It is a good study, I suggest canvas I have tried water color paper but canvas seems to be better, also I agree there should be some darks at the bottom of the tree,it would sit it down better. plus, there is no shadow side of the tree. I think it needs more indication of where the light source is coming from. But keep trying you will love acrylics. I am not good, but I love it. Jan

3chaway9
07-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi Chuck,
i agree your doing well with this....your branches are full of energy and movment...personally i prefer canvas...i seem to get better results.

chaz
07-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Thank you Dave, Debbie and Jan for your comments and critiques. I can see exactly what you are telling me, and I will remember them and watch for those things in my next painting.

Thanks again.

Chuck

k9artisan
07-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I think you have done a nice job here. I do find painting on paper to be a bit weird too, but it's cheaper than canvas <g>. I agree about having a little more contrast with your leaves, but the trunk looks awesome and you did a great job with the sky. Thanks for sharing!
Amber

chaz
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Caroline, Amber, thank you both of you for your comments. You're help and suggentions are vital to me. Without them I can't grow.

Thanks again

Chuck

Wayne Gaudon
07-14-2005, 06:42 AM
It's been said .. how do you find the book? Just remember, light, middle, dark, reflected light. The tree will be bigger at the base as well and recede in size as it goes upward. As well, don't forget the odd shadow on the tree from the limbs.

chaz
07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks Wayne. I found the book on Amazon.com for about I think 12 or 13 dollars US. The book was not what I was expecting. It was primarily about brush technique. He uses a variety of brushes in his technique. Some of them appear to be speciality brush that he either has made for him or he adapts. He gives them strange names like deerfoot stipler, golden leaf brush, sword, Etc. But having said that there is a great deal of of style and technique that could be adapted using the better known brushes lilke the fan, flat, round, oval, filbert etc. Especially old and frayed bristle brushes.

The book is filled with examples and some absolutely wonderful paintings and demos. I find it worth the price and a neat addition to my art library.

If you can find it in a library, it might be worth a peek.

Purchase at your own risk.

Thanks again

Chuck