PDA

View Full Version : Help with neon

garnets
07-13-2005, 04:05 PM
OK, I decided to jump in and try the black canvas. I am doing and old movie theater with a neon front. I have been trying for hours to get a glow with no luck. Any help would be appreciated before I give up. I will post pic as soon as it looks like something.
Thanks
Gene

NodakerDeb
07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
OK, I decided to jump in and try the black canvas. I am doing and old movie theater with a neon front. I have been trying for hours to get a glow with no luck. Any help would be appreciated before I give up. I will post pic as soon as it looks like something.
Thanks
Gene

Gene, contact Nick Simmons [email protected] He has done some South Beach Miami, art deco night time paintings. He has perfected neon !!

Look here for a fantastic example: http://www.nicholassimmons.com/pages/Gallery10.htm

Deb

Artguy29
07-13-2005, 05:53 PM
It would be much easier for us to help you out if you posted your painting, despite what it looks like or what stage you're at, so we can see what is giving you a problem, what you've been trying, the colors you've been using, etc. If you can, please post the painting...we're just looking to help, not to criticize. :)

Have you tried taking a break from the painting? Maybe your eyes need some rest!

Dave

timelady
07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
I was going to do what deb did. :) Find you a link to neon already painted by someone. Have a good look at the detail and see how they've layered their paint. You can't zoom in on Simmons' paintings but if you drop him an email he might be happy to email you a close-up so you can look at them. It looks like very subtle scumbling or glazing to me in that one. (it is perfectly done too!)

I've achieved subtle glow-like edges but not on black. My advice would be start from the middle. Start with thin/softly brushed areas. Slowly work over it and outwards with subsequent softly brushed layers, taking card to always brush out edges. This will move the glow outwards and the overlapping will eventually make the centermost area solid opaque colour. My other advice would be, if you're using white in any of your mixtures, to use zinc white. It's my discovery of the year for glazing. :)

The glow of the red for example is a scumbled layer over the black. It's not darkened or lightened. Looks like the red is just gently brushed to catch some of the surface texture. Hard to tell from this quality of image though of course.

Tina.

garnets
07-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I have contacted Nick, I hope he will help. I think my biggest mistake is using to much white. We will see.
Gene

NodakerDeb
07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, Nick's example on his website is a bit shy of pixels.

Scroll down on this link and you can see the actual painting. It's quite large!

http://www.nicholassimmons.com/pages/New.htm

Deb