PDA

View Full Version : How can I 'texture' a lemon or an orange in soft pastel?

snakum
01-04-2002, 10:29 AM
I'm trying to finish up two still-lifes for a little amateur show here in NC and I'm having a heckuva time texturing my lemons, limes and oranges with the tiny 'bumps' which they exhibit. I've looked thru hundreds of texts on pastels and I've still got zilch.:confused:

Can someone help?

Thich Minh Thong
(The Flying Monk)

DFGray
01-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi
I might suggest that the texture will be more pronounced where your light source hits the fruit (more contrast in light and shadow) and might need less in the other areas none in shadow

regards
Dan

raison d etre
01-05-2002, 10:27 AM
Sanake,.

I used hard pastel pencils, to do an under texture of the darks, alowing the dimples of Mi-Teintes to help, then layed the mid tones and highlights in soft pastels. Hope this helps.

ReNae

DFGray
01-05-2002, 03:49 PM
oh ya sarge
that drawing board I use is just a box with inside dimensions whatever suits me (Canson size) and 1/2 " cedar strips all round edge then duct taped at bottom edge..... the surfaces are doorskin.
regards
Dan

Johnmuir
01-31-2002, 10:44 PM
What I do is, I put some of the pastel on my finger.
Wherever the light source is hitting the fruit, I lightly rub my finger, pulling from the darker to the lighter, in single strokes.

This works especially well if the shine spot on the orange or lemon is still paper white.
But don't rub very hard!
What you're actually doing is rubbing just the surface of the paper and not getting deep into the grain of it.
It leaves a very believable glow to the fruit...jim