PDA

View Full Version : Hui with flower in her hair

Mikey
07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Oils on 24 x 18 inch canvas. The orange is actually ground, but I like it. I could use a flower, or just an earring to give a colour accent.

Any comments at this time please.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
07-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Mikey, you are a human assembly line you are. You must never kip. I really like the warm hues you choose for this. It’s a nice contrast to your cooler paintings. Good luck with it mate.

Mikey
07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Bruce, I like the warm ground to give an overall tone to a painting. This one is much brighter as I've used Magenta and Cad Yellow Golden. Actually I do try to get sleep like 7 hours if I can stay asleep long enough and have been spending too much time reading some of the more classic literature as usual, Tom Clancy in this case.

Mikey

laketrees
07-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi Mikey....love the rich colouring and unusual viewpoint.......you don't see many 3 quarter back profiles....I think I would like to see a rich tropical hibiscus in her hair....in off white with turquoise accents...just MO..... :D
cheers kim

Mikey
07-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi Kim, I want Hui and her parents to love this one. A white Hibiscus with some turquoise in the shadows sounds like a good idea. I'm still thinking about the colours.

Mikey

Anita Murphy
07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
I love the orange - keep that.
you are a human assembly line you are
Ditto!

Mikey
07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
HI Anita, thanks. I began working on Hui this morning, but the whole thing started to go pear shaped, so I've been having a break today.

Mikey

katelynalain
07-13-2005, 11:45 PM
i HATE when things go 'pear shaped'!
this one will be a joy to watch. i like the flower idea too..

Dhuot
07-13-2005, 11:53 PM
What am I doin here ?

Mikey, the divided BG will be great

Or IS great
I like :)

Mikey
07-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi Katelyn, I've got it figured. I hate doing accounts, especially as I'm not selling lots and I've put them off. It clogs me up somehow, not doing these things. I still thinking about the best colours but like the background colour as it is.

Hi Daniel. I want this painting to have that extra something, so won't rush.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
07-14-2005, 06:13 PM
The accounts could account for things going pear shaped…can you credit it. I find when things go pear shaped the best thing to do is work on a different painting for awhile.

Titian used to start a painting, then turn it to the wall and sometimes didn’t go back to it for months. And when he did go back to a painting he’d usually just do a few brushstrokes and then turn it back to the wall. But then he had the luxury of taking years to finish a painting. I wonder if he’d take as long if he was alive today.

Your colours sound good and I’m sure as always you’ll do a great job with this one Mikey. just keep sloging away and you’ll get there mate.

Mikey
07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey Bruce, I've given this one a few passes with the brush. I've been working slowly on her face, well actually less rather than slowly.

Mikey

Mikey
07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I got the opaque orange down with the same colour mix, but the flesh tones suddenly look altogether wan then. I've strengthed them up a bit now. I've still got to decide on the colour for that flower.

Mikey

Anita Murphy
07-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Mikey - your skin tones are just fab! What colours are you using? The orange background is super.

Mikey
07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi Anita, I've used Quin Magenta and Cad Yellow Golden for the background. I used my usual flesh palette, but on this ocassion think a little Pthalo Blue for the darks and a tiny touch of Cad Yellow due to its being used in the background and I needed that extra touch of strength. <amy tyhabks.

Mikey

laketrees
07-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi Mikey...the light is really soft and diffused on her face...lovely.....I think the rich orange background is perfect.....looking forward to seeing what you do with the flower....
:wave: ..kim

Mikey
07-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Ha, ha, Kim, I'm looking forward to see what I do with the flower as well. I don't think it will offer too much colour contrast. Thaaanks.

Mikey

Mikey
07-19-2005, 04:45 AM
I've got to take the flower out.

Mikey

laketrees
07-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi Mikey.....looking forward to seeing the change..
:) ..kim

LisaArt
07-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi Mikey, Fabulous work on her and the skin tones and that orange background I agree is so fitting. I also love the flower. Have a great day!

Mikey
07-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks Kim and Lisa. I just haven't been able to make that flower work wwith the whole painting. You can see it on the Portrait Forum.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
07-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Going over to portraits to seee.... I was thinking an orchid.... purple and orange love each other.... also I think you have it placed too low and far back. Usually a woman sticks the flower behind her ear unless its some bobby pin or barette.

Spyderbabe
07-21-2005, 10:11 AM
:::::puff puff pufff:::::: OK ... I ran all the way back from Portrait Forum........ this portrait is so beautiful... I think she needs the flower....hope its ok I did a digital to show what I mean. I know you'll do MUCH better flower than me:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2005/23281-Image5.jpg

Mikey
07-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Kathleen, thanks for the retouch job. I'm still working on it.

Mikey