PDA

View Full Version : If at first you don't succeed...

Paintbrush74
01-03-2002, 09:16 PM
I've decided to try it again. I've had not so stellar results in the past with Ebay, but I see that others have had good results, so I don't see why I can't also.

Any advice would be most welcome. It's really hard to come up with the right wording. I suppose it just takes time.

OH, I've tried 3 times to get that link right and still can't!!! AAHHHHhhh!!!!! Okay, let's try this:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=Lenora_D&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25

Sumafra
01-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Hi Paintbrush, I looked at your auctions and they look fine. Fire elf is my favorite. Your starting prices are very reasonable and you should see some action. Good luck.

A couple of things I noticed: in your titles, try to put words that people would search on such as original, oil on canvas, abstract, fantasy, rather than the title.

Also, I have heard that it is good to have your auctions end during the weekend, particularly Sunday night as there is more action near the end of the auction, and more people are looking during the weekend.

Anyway, good luck to you. :cat:

Paintbrush74
01-04-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the good suggestions Sumafra. Some of those words you suggested are in the description, but I suppose lots of people don't check the description option when searching. I once read that Thursday was a big surf night on Ebay. I don't know if that's true or not.

Lenora

4kids
01-05-2002, 05:40 PM
there's always some kind of debate or another going on at ebay as to 'when is the best day/time to end an auction?".
The consensus seems to be this: (with the caveat that NOTHING is for sure!)..different TYPES of items have different days/times that are best for ending auctions. It seems to rather depend on your market. For example, they say childrens clothing auctions seem to do best when ending on weekdays - reason being mom's who buy/need kids clothes are more often on-line weekdays/daytimes. Nights and weekends they are busy with their families.
For myself, having sold my art on ebay for a year, i have found IN GENERAL my best days to end auctions are Mon-fri, after 11 am central and before 3pm central. The majority of my buyers seem to be from either coast - with the west coast outweighing the east a bit - so you need to remember the time zone differences. After a while you also may see a pattern in the TYPE of buyers you have the majority of..which will give a clue as to when these types of buyers are most on-line.
best of luck to you...it takes a while to get anything figured out for ebay!

I think that once you develop a 'following', you will find somewhat of a pattern developing as to when your auctions end most successfully. For a while it will be trial and error.

ps...it does seem,for the most part, true that the majority of activity on an auction appears near the end..for me, especially in the last 1/2 hour or so. I think that is partly why ebay has numerous rules regarding the time nearing the end of an auction (for example, i believe bid retractions are not allowed in the last 2 hours of an auction..i'm not pos., but close; also, ebay has a fee refund policy should they go down for (something like) the last two hours of your auction).
I also get alot of activity in the first 24 hours.

Paintbrush74
01-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks, 4kids. Good advice.

Sumafra, I took your suggestions and changed the titles a bit. I also changed the category from paintings to self-representing artists.

CarlyHardy
01-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Good advice from everyone! The one thing I'd suggest is "ALWAYS" pay that extra quarter and use the gallery image....and be sure you check for the free icon pic at the top of your auction.

My other suggestion would be...don't just rely on ebay pics for your images. They are not the best quality. You can put your images on another site and link to them in your description. That way if ebay pics is not working, the images will still show up in your description area. Also, putting an image at the top of your description will catch the viewers attention faster!

Your starting bids are very good! Do more research with the categories and see if fantasy art fits into another one. You could list one with a double category and still get folks to see all your work when they click on the link to view your other auctions!

carly

Sumafra
01-05-2002, 09:54 PM
This is a bit unrelated to the subject, however, I notice that the link to my website in my signature is not 'hyperlink', ie not active. Everyone else's seems to be. Can anyone tell me why that is? I must be doing something wrong. Help anyone?? :confused:

4kids
01-05-2002, 10:13 PM
could it be the " (quotation marks)" before and after the url?

hairballsdotcom
01-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
Good advice from everyone! The one thing I'd suggest is "ALWAYS" pay that extra quarter and use the gallery image....and be sure you check for the free icon pic at the top of your auction.I found this statement about the icon picture at the top of the auction page...
"Title Bar Picture is a FREE option for any listing that uses eBay Picture Services."
Does anyone know how much it costs (or is it an option at all) if you're NOT using the 'ebay Picture Service'?

Sumafra
01-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Sumafra
... my signature is not 'hyperlink', ie not active. Everyone else's seems to be. Can anyone tell me why that is?

thanks Geckonia for the tip. I was finally able to figure it out and now it's working.

Sumafra
01-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by hairballsdotcom
"Title Bar Picture is a FREE option for any listing that uses eBay Picture Services."
Does anyone know how much it costs (or is it an option at all) if you're NOT using the 'ebay Picture Service'?

Hi Lori, I don't know the answer but, the first picture listed through Ebay's services is free, so maybe you should list the one picture through EBay Picture Services and that way you'll have the title bar picture for free. :cat:

Paintbrush74
01-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Well, I now have bids, folks. One person bid on two of my works. So far it's only 9.99 each, but here's praying it will go up, up, up. The person only has a feedback rating of 1, but hey, everybody has to start somewhere, and I'm grateful for the Englishman who trusted me when my rating was zero.

Paintbrush74
01-12-2002, 08:56 PM
Well, I sold all three, at lower prices than I care to admit, but I realize that I need to persevere (can't spell it). They are all sold to one person, with a feedback rating of 1, and that person has yet to answer my email. Yes, it has only been 48 hours since the auction ended and anything could have happened, but I have a strong feeling that I may have to relist. No big deal though....we'll see.

Paintbrush74
01-14-2002, 04:25 PM
To anyone reading this, in all fairness to the bidder, I must say that he contacted me today, and wants to send a money order. All is well.

hairballsdotcom
01-18-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Sumafra

Hi Lori, I don't know the answer but, the first picture listed through Ebay's services is free, so maybe you should list the one picture through EBay Picture Services and that way you'll have the title bar picture for free. :cat: Thanks for the advice -- I tried it and it works fine except that I use html to construct my auction pages and the Picture service 'freebie' is then put at the bottom -- so I end up with TWO pictures. Could use a different view, maybe a detail instead the whole picture. Either way I think it is nice to have that little thumbnail at the top of an auction page -- as long as its FREE.