PDA

View Full Version : Well, if this doesn't take the cake!

Lady Rando
07-10-2005, 03:40 PM
I was contacted via email by an individual that wanted to know if I could make a print 36x48 from a 96 dpi file. Something in the way they worded that first email and their email name raised a big red flag. Of course, I wanted to know if I was right about my suspicions so I explained to them that the print would be very poor quality and asked if they still had the original art.

Their answer to that was that they did not have the origianl art and wondered if they made an 8x10 print on matt photo paper could I do a high resolution scan from that and make the print. HA! More red flags. To that I answered:
I'm sorry but a print out of a 96 dpi would still give you a low quality print at the size you are wanting the giclee. We need to work from either the original or from a 300 dpi file that is the same size in height and width as the original art.

Are your files of your art?
They then replied:
Thanks for the help,

I wish there was a place online to buy these files.
To which I replied:
Based on your answers I can only assume you are wanting to print other artists work. If this is indeed what you are considering doing perhaps you should become familiar with copyright laws. You can not, without written permission from the artist that created the original, make prints. It is against the law.

We require that all individuals we create prints for sign a contract that states the person hiring us to make their print is the owner of the copyright. If someone signs this contact and indeed is not the owner of the copyright they will face federal charges for fraud and theft of copyright. Also, the artist will be informed and may also press charges.
Lesson is: There are people out there trying to steal your images and they do contact those of us that print giclee's. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure any images that you use on your sites and in auctions is a low enough resolution so that any prints made from them will look like poo! Also, add your copyright mark to your images. I know, it doesn't look pretty but most honest lookers know you are protecting your work and the dishonest ones have to put effort into remove your trade mark. Most don't want to work that hard.

Picassosattic
07-10-2005, 04:03 PM
WOW! Great response to this person, Tamara, and great advice.

Ruth

hillrune
07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Tamara is 72 dpi low enough?

BryAli
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
How do I change the resolution on my images? I have photoshop. Also, how do I make the copyright image appear?

andymathis
07-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi mary, yes 72 dpi is plenty for viewing images on screen.

Hi Alishia, If you haven't figured it out yet, in photoshop, click on image at the top and go down to image size. There you can see the size of the file and the dpi. Save the jpeg for the web with lots of compression too (med-high, number 6-7) the smaller the compression, the faster the file loads for viewers too. No need to save it at maximum (10) for the web, imo.

Lady Rando
07-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Also in photoshop you can do a Save for Web. It will compress the file even more without loosing much quality. I usually do this and save it at 40 or 50. Extra nice thing about this is that it will also make your images load super fast on your site and that a good thing.

I add my copyright and name using Text and then I add an outer glow to that text and emboss it. After that I reduce the text's opacity to about 50% and then flatten all the layers.