PDA

View Full Version : How about your signature?

CindyW
07-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi all,
What are your thoughts on signing paintings?
Do you put the year? 2005 or '05?
Do you put Societies you belong to? (PSA, etc)
Do you sign your full name? first name? First initial and last full name?
Do you sign only in one spot and with the same color always or do you spot the best area in the painting (left, middle, or right) and use a color that blends unobtrusively?

Just curious since I'm just figuring this out....so simple but really not so simple. :wink2:
Cindy

Bringer
07-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi,

Well...most of times I don't sign my works, only when I offer them.
From those I've offered no one will know the name because it's just a little scribble.
However, when you buy me a painting, I'll do I nice signature. Do we have a deal ? :-)

Regards,

Josť

P.S. those that I did were done with a pastel pencil or sharpen pastel stick

Khadres
07-09-2005, 04:52 PM
I have NO idea why I have such a problem with this! Every time I finish something and start to sign it I get cold feet! I just KNOW I'm gonna mess it up and ruin the whole painting or that it's gonna look stupid or whatever. I have NOT figured out a way to make a signature with soft or even hard pastels and pencils are nearly as bad, so I've opted, so far, for colored pencil in similar tones to the painting, first initial, last name, small, lower right corner....as unobtrusive as possible!

CM Neidhofer
07-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I usually use a pastel pencil, or an oil pencil with the oil pastels, for my signature. I've also read that one shouldn't date the painting. If it's a work done two, or three or however many years ago, that a potential buyer would wonder why it wasn't sold and might think it's inferior in some way and not make the purchase. I have kind of a silly reason for the signature I use. It's a combination of my first name and part of my maiden last name. I decided that if I did start to sell my work, I didn't want my ex to be able to associate himself with me....like, "Hey, I was married to her!" :eek: Like I said...silly.... :wink2:

Christine

HarvestMoon
07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I usually don't sign things at all- IF I frame them I try to remember to do this- and don't always- but put first initial and last name in print with pastel pencil- tried my signature but it did not work well.... dating it by year to me seems to date the work in a way- you know- I have had this painting for 5 years and have still not sold it.... probably my insecurity, but I look at some of my mid-eighties colored pencil and wish I had not put the year on...

CindyW
07-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmmm......yes, dating the work and it doesn't sell for a couple years could be a negative aspect, hadn't thought of that. Sometimes, the subtle psychological reasonings behind art are annoying. If you like it, you like it, REGARDLESS of when I created it .....is what I would like people to see looking at artwork, not that it mustn't be any good since it's still in the posession of the artist. Sigh!! Maybe the artist couldn't bear to part with it for years.
Thanks for these thoughts, you all!
Cindy

Paula Ford
07-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I sign PAFord with a pastel pencil in a bit darker/lighter color usually down in the right corner. It is big enough so you can definately read my name.

Paula

chewie
07-10-2005, 06:16 PM
i sign with first and middle initial (cuz hubby has same first name) and last name, done in #2 lead in a mechanical pencil. i often use sanded papers, and pastel pencil goes dull with my name (very long), as does a reg. pencil, so the mech. pencil stays pointy til the end! i go along the bottom-preferrably the right lower corner, but sometimes the left if it would suit better. i do not hide my name at all, if i sign it, i am happy enough to say who-done-it! but i also dont' blaze it across the painting either, i think that is sooo tacky! and the pencil is slighty shiney, cuts thru pastel like a charm, and makes my name, which i print clearly, easy to read. i do not date, for some of the above reasons, and if i'd ever want to enter it in a contest, some dictate the age of the paintings. again, if its good, its good, regardless when i finished it! i do keep a record for myself however, of when i produced it, on what, framed in what way. kinda fun to look thru!

Kitty Wallis
07-10-2005, 08:04 PM
I sign in pastel in a color and value close to the painting. I want the viewer to see it only if looking for it. I sign it WAllis with a date(large A intentional). But I'm considering not dating them.

Deborah Secor
07-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I sign with a #2 mechanical pencil, in some tucked away spot where you can find if you look for it, using D. Christensen Secor. I figure people will look for the signature, if they care. I use no alphabet soup, and I never date them.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
07-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Do paintings have to be dated if they are entered into a competition that specifies a certain timeline? Such as, paintings no older than 2 years?

Ruth Grinstead
07-11-2005, 04:38 AM
I use graphite pencil, my first and last name, bottom right or left (whichever seems to go best) and no date.

Ruth

Pat Isaac
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I use oil pastel pencil in a color close to where I am signing it, lower right hand corner, as I use OPs. Not blaring, but able to see if they look. I no longer date my work for the above reasons. I do include on the back of the framed piece the title, medium, and my name. I also tape one of my cards on the back.

Pat

khourianya
07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I sign mine with a #2 pencil, usually in the bottom right somewhere. I was using the date for a while, but now I just sign my first name as on my normal signature.

I do record the date of the painting for my own records, though. It is nice to see your progression of improvement as time goes by.