PDA

View Full Version : Window with a curtain in the breeze

colours_man
07-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi all,
I have not been painting much as I am working away and starved of creative time; but I have been working on this the last 3 weekends.
I think its coming on ok - what do you all think? Its a bit different to my work before.

16 x 20 inches on canvas.

I am missing the forum as well :( I dont have much internet access.

Artguy29
07-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Looking great, Nick! Just one suggestion...the light coming through the curtain should have a more dramtic effect on the lighting of the painting. Also, the shape of the curtain looks a bit odd. You might want to add some more layers to the curtain to make it stand out as well.

You've got a really nice piece here...keep up the good work! :)

Dave

Albert Wagner
07-09-2005, 12:18 PM
I love it and would consider it finished. Great work.

Bertoni
07-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Looking real good there!!! :clap: aybe extend the light more into the room???

jan409
07-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Love it as is. It is a painting I would like to hang, it is my style of art. Do more. Jan

texana6
07-09-2005, 04:03 PM
I love it's evocative quality. Good painting of the reflections on the glass panes, effective secondary counterpoint to the cross on the door to the left.

At that angle I'm not certain that much more direct light WOULD have come into the room. Are you working from a photo reference? I might have painted just a few bright highlghts on the bedding. The tops of the radiator (fins?) are not level. I might add a few crisp brush strokes to more clearly define the edge of the curtain/and or eyelet or lace detail.

If the curtain shape is awkward -- and I'm undecided that it is -- It might be the upper line diagonal line defining where direct sun light is hitting the other side of the curtain (above the cross) might need slightly more curvature to follow the curvature of the curtain's folds even though the lower portion of the curtain is straighter (due to the breeze) than the upper portion.

Boy, that suggestion probably sounds about as clear as mud.

And I would retract that suggestion if I could see a photo reference that told me otherwise ... then I would look at the shadow of the fold above that square. Should the tonal contrast of the shadow soften as the curtain becomes flatter, again due to the breeze blowing it into the room. Perhaps the darkest shadow area should be a bit lighter to suggest a less deep fold.

The question is ... is there a disconnect between the folds in the curtain above the direct sun light and the shape of the curtain IN the direct sunlight. Again, I'm not certain.

My No. 1 comment is still: This painting works because it's evocative!

Charlie's Mum
07-09-2005, 04:31 PM
I do like this painting very much!
Having said that, there are some issues with perspective which may need to be adressed - it depends how far you want to take this.
I'd like to see the sky much lighter - to balance the light part of the curtain, and the shape of light/shade divide accurately observed.
But even with these minor 'faults', this painting works well. :D

colours_man
07-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Thank you all for you responses so far, especially Texan for all your comments.
A few asked about the photo, so here it is.

I did do a watercolour sketch there, but mainly worked from this as you can see.

I shall get back with a better response when I have time to mull them over.
Thanks

Bertoni
07-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Nick:
After seeing the photo, my comment re: maybe needing more light coming in isn't relevant!!
I think the painting works well as is!!!! :clap: :)

Wayne Gaudon
07-10-2005, 08:25 AM
nice beginnings .. if you care (not everyone does) about perspective, it's off. The color seems blackish murk instead of inviting shadows.

Artguy29
07-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Now that I see the photo, I'd say it's finished. Very nice job! :)

Dave

colours_man
07-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Well I think this is it finished now. I have used some of your suggestions. I have darkened darks and made some colours more intense. One of the bars of shadow on the curtain was a bit out so I changed that. Nothing dramatic.
Oh yes, I lighened the sky as well. Put a few more lacey bits in.
Going for maximum contrast with the door frame as well.

Thanks.

jan409
07-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Very Good. Jan

D.G.K.King
07-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi Nick
A difficult subject on which you have done a good job

3chaway9
07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi Nick,
i agree with Dave about it being a difficult subject....very good finish.

texana6
07-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Looks good! Going for more contrast in areas made it much crisper. Did you take the photo? I'm going to New Orleans later this week and I hope to take some photos for inspiration!

laudesan
07-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I think your finisherd painting is awesome. Bet it looks magnificent hanging on the wall.. :clap:

colours_man
07-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Looks good! Going for more contrast in areas made it much crisper. Did you take the photo? I'm going to New Orleans later this week and I hope to take some photos for inspiration!

Yes I took it. I had a week in Greece; its ironic the only picture I have done from it so far was taken in the hotel room :). I have all these fantastic beach shots but havent used any yet.

bjcpaints
07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Nick, I like this very, very much! Better than the photo!
Barbara