PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Sheep

Nicoclaus
07-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi, here's the new one that I started, that has to be done by the 15th.
It is very much a WIP at the moment, lots to do :)
When this one is finished, I'll continue on the goose.

Deborah Secor
07-08-2005, 08:57 PM
I assume this is on Art Spectrum... and my question is, are you working on it flat? Or did you take it off the easel to photograph it?

The face of this sheep is charming! Very winsome.

Deborah

binkie
07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
You've got a good start. I also really like the face on the sheep. I look forward to seeing the completed painting.

binkie

Nicoclaus
07-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Thank you guys :)
Yes, it's on Art Spectrum Colourfix Coated Pastel Paper, how can you tell?
It's the only paper I use and yes, I'm working on it flat, well almost, I have a couple of books under the top end of the board.

eyre
07-08-2005, 11:15 PM
I like the face too. :) Is that fence in the background leaning? I can't tell.

I think you are doing a great job! Can't wait to see this further along!

CindyW
07-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Looks great! Nice markings in the face/head!
Cindy

Nicoclaus
07-12-2005, 12:41 AM
eyre: Thank you :) About the fence, is not really a fence but some kind of frame to hold the hay ;)

Bing: Thanks ;) Glad you like it.

Here's another update, worked on it quite a bit today, still not done with the sheep or any of the other parts in the painting.

binkie
07-12-2005, 07:47 AM
This is coming along very nicely. The sheep are wonderful. :clap: I'm looking forward to seeing the finished work.

binkie

Nicoclaus
07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks Binkie :) Hope to work on it some more later today

Doris Baggett
07-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Oooh, I like this. I'm attempting a lamb now and the shading is difficult since he is so white and his wool isn't very long yet. It takes alot to make him look nappy and not flat. You've done a wonderful job on these though. Maybe I shouldn't have kept him so clean! I'm going to post mine and maybe you can give me some advice.
Dottie

eyre
07-12-2005, 07:46 PM
This is looking lovely!!! That baby sheep makes me want to adopt him. :) Their little faces are so wonderful!

Piper Ballou
07-12-2005, 11:23 PM
this is turning out really nice, looking forward to seeing more posts and you work on it
piper

Nicoclaus
07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Doris Baggett: Thank you :) Yes go ahead a make him a little dirty:)
If you have some different shades of greys, don't be afraid of using them.

eyre & starjoy: Thank you guys :) Glad you like em'

Worked some more on them today and hopefully I'll have time to work on them tonight too.

eyre
07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
This piece is looking soooo good!! It is amazing at the detail!! :) One of my favorite of your works.

Nicoclaus
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Thank you so much eyre :) ;)

I worked alot on it this afternoon, I think it might be done.
The matte that's on there is not the final one, it's the backside of a beveled dark blue matte, that is too dark and won't work for it.
Should I pick light creamy color, maybe one that's in the pastel for the matte?

eyre
07-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I think it's definitely done! It is really really gorgeous. I have no idea about matting, but I'm sure you'll get lots of nice suggestions here.

Nicoclaus
07-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Thank you eyre :) Glad you like it, I did find a creamy white/yellowish matte and a nice frame for it ;)

momof6
07-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Just saw this thread for the first time. I think you did a wonderful job and I was going to suggest the creamy white/yellow matte so I'm glad to hear you went with that.

Very nicely done and that lamb is SUCH a cutie!

chewie
07-16-2005, 09:19 AM
this reminds me of some of the old dutch/flemmish works in some of my art books. really a neat handling of the pastel, and a nice job on the subjects! thanks for sharing it. i see it was 'due' a few days ago, did the client approve? (if not, you don't need them anyhow!!) i assume so, since this is so well done!

Doris Baggett
07-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I had to respond again since the finished work is truly beautiful. I think a picture is realistic when you can smell the flowers, fruit, or what ever. These really are realistic but for once I'm not eager to have that 'smell sensation'. My sheep was so white because he was bottle fed and kept inside from the cold. He isn't nearly so white now!

Dark_Shades
07-17-2005, 04:03 AM
I nearly missed the final showing, glad I didnt......... turned out lovely.... well done

Nicoclaus
07-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Thank you so much everyone for the kind words :) :wave:

chewie: You're too kind :o :) It's wasn't a client, it was a birthday gift and yes, she really loved it! :wink2:

the drover's dog
07-18-2005, 12:46 AM
This is just wonderful.

One suggestion I might make - (and I'm no authority on the technique bit but I am on sheep). The only time a ewe gets that look on her face and that cock to the head is if she's just pulled a mouthful of particularly delicious hay out of that feeder, or she's flyblown around the back end and has an unbearable itch she can't get to. (The flexed leg adds to this impression as they stamp their back legs and twitch their rear end when the flies have attacked them). Could I humbly suggest, to make this gorgeous piece perfect, that you put a couple of whisps of hay from her mouth and angled in a different direction to that in the hay rack. Then we'll know why she has that wonderful faraway look on her face.

Dale

Trilby
07-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Congratulations on a beautifully done piece.
TJ

Nicoclaus
07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
the drover's dog: Thanks, I apreciate the comments and suggestions, but I consider it finished and it has been matted and framed and sealed:)

Aztrillium: Thank you :) ;)

satchal
07-19-2005, 11:21 PM
The light matt seems to work well--maybe a light ceam with a black core, would look nice it will stop the matt at the painting.

By the way very nice job.

Ed

Nicoclaus
07-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks Ed:) I did pick/found a creamy white/yellowish matte for it.

Kristrotter
07-21-2005, 09:27 PM
OMG, is there nothing sweeter than the face of a lamb. You did a beautiful job on a very touching relationship of mother and child.