PDA

View Full Version : Please Come Draw Anyone interested in...

baquitania
01-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Hey All:

I got this idea from a writing site Mich451 told me about. On certain nights, they post a topic in chat, then for an hour they write about that topic...

Well I was thinking we could do the same thing, but with art. Specially here in the drawing forum where there is sooo much talent and style... :D

Here's what I'm getting at... Those who want in, post here and say so, then next week on a friday night abour 8pm, I'll post a topic of what we all draw... I may include a site for reference, or a single 1 time photo... then we take an hour to draw it, in any medium we like, and we post all these 1hour pieces in seperate threads with the preface in the thread title "1hr - bla bla bla", and those who want to can even meet in chat to talk about it...

An example of a topic might be: drawing your hand, your eyes from a mirror, a picture of marilyn monroe, a cadillac, the point is not to over analyze the subject, but to all doodle the same thing, and learn off each other's approaches...

Then those who want to finish their pieces in more detail can do so and even post those... The benefit of the time frame is focus, some empathetic solidarity that we are all doing it at the same exact or near exact moment in time (good energy there, couldn't hurt :D ) and it's good excersize...

I hope I get some takers, so the tentative date is the 14th, and I hope you'll come chat too... Think of this as our chance to all globally sketch "outdoors" the same subject, but bringing to it all our own individual flare and funk! So get out those bold markers, those thin delicate ones, break out the charcoal, the graphite, the mechanical pencils, the bic pens, the crayons!

See ya next week...

Bobby

PS: I purposefully didn't wanta make this an art project because those have an open end time limit, and I wanted us to experience this as an immediate whole. The time frame would be like this, 8pm topic, then 1 hr work, then posting each thread (which I will give make that day) and finally some friendly chat :) for those able (or we can comment in each others threads)

On that writing site, they ask each person to comment on everyone's piece, but I think we can hold off on that till we all get a rhythm. And hopefully this won't be a first... Please come draw!

mebucko
01-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah Bobby, I like the idea myself, anything to keep us motivated. That seems to work best for me, being pushed!:D I do think though that there might be a few people that don't have the time, and that they should be able to just sketch, if that's all they have time to do. An hour can be a long time for some subjects too, and too short for others, so I guess the thing to do is just see how the first few works out. It's a good way to find out about yourself too.
I do think though that if say this took off, it would need it's own forum real soon, this 'could' clog up (in a good way!) the drawing forum... If 30 people did it, that's alot of art and alot of comments.
Randy

RedShoes
01-03-2002, 10:32 PM
I'd like to give it a go. I need all the practice I can get! Count me in.

sherville
01-03-2002, 11:38 PM
I'll be in that!
Heck, I'm in that chat room a lot anyway, how could I miss it? :D

sgtaylor
01-04-2002, 02:14 AM
Why not? Sure.

Baby Blue Whale
01-04-2002, 04:01 AM
Sounds like fun Bobby. So, Friday the 14th at 8:00 p.m.--would that be Eastern Time? Please let me know and I'll do my darndest to be there.

Warmest,
Laura

Shelley
01-04-2002, 08:02 AM
I can really use the practice! I'm in!

Shelley

digistyle
01-04-2002, 10:12 AM
I like the idea, too. My only concern is that we might annoy some non-participants when we post our threads, pushing their posts off of the front pages before people have seen or commented on their works. I think setting up a project space could still work:

* We would still immediately see the results.
* We would be able to see all of the works on one page.
* We could go back later to see the finished works if folks decide to work the piece further.

We could still have the discussion thread in the Drawing forum, this could the same thread started with the reference image. Since it would only be a single thread, it shouldn't be a disruption to the normal flow of the forum and may encourage others to try it.

Just my two cents,

digistyle

pencils4me
01-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Hey Bobby - sounds like it might be a good idea... but Digi does bring up a good point... whatever works - I'll give it a try! :D

TJ

journey341
01-04-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm in! And I, too, like the idea of starting a single thread and we all post our pics in that one thread so we don't bump the other threads down.

Jodie

alyona100
01-04-2002, 01:00 PM
great idea, just donīt think I can force self out of bed at 2 am to do anything let alone draw!:) Will be with you all in spirit, though!:) And hopefully enjoy lots of excellent pictures, too.

animal
01-04-2002, 01:01 PM
I think I`ll be able to come. I also like the idea of starting a single thread.

midnight hag
01-04-2002, 01:29 PM
I'd like to try too. Almost bound to still be up - not called Midnight for nothing.

Jay

digistyle
01-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Just to clarify:

I didn't mean posting all of our images in a single thread (that would be a slow download for us modem users and may bring the wrath of Scott down on us:)).

My suggestion was that the thread that Bobby posts the reference image in be used a the thread where our respective images would be discussed. The actual images would be on display in the projects area.

Again, this is just a suggestion.

digistyle

maverik
01-05-2002, 11:36 PM
I might be in, depends on the subject you choose I guess, not much into cars, much prefer nature.

kitaye
01-06-2002, 01:58 PM
I like the idea for sure. Unforntunately I won't promise to be there since I may or may not be in town (my job requires a lot of travel). I will participate in topics that interest me when I am in town.

baquitania
01-07-2002, 05:48 AM
Okay here's an update on Friday... click the link below please :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28610

We will start at 10 minutes to 8pm, when I will post the topic with an image in the Cafe, Drawing Forum & WC!Gallery... so don't worry you can go to either and find it there...

Then you have till 9pm to finish your drawing, afterwards to post it, and if you wish to join us in chat... perhaps on the roof... I will put another update on wed, and friday morning also...

Bobby

quaya
01-07-2002, 07:57 AM
Hello Bobby, This sounds good to me too. I am new but have been checking out Wet Canvas for some time now. It's time I get my feet wet. I just hope I remember and I know what to do once I get there!

mebucko
01-07-2002, 09:07 AM
Groovy Bobby! But... what time zone? I think that somebody asked, I can't remember who...")
Randy

baquitania
01-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Sorry... as far as I know the timezone is Eastern Standard Time, since I am the one choosing the first topic, if we do this again, and I hope we do, the person deciding to choose, can choose whenever they like from where they live... (I'll be there!!! :D)

So again that is...

Friday Night, 8:00 pm, the 11th of January, EST
7:50pm Topic Post Time
8-9:00 pm Work Time
9:01 pm post in the main thread in the WC! Gallery
and then CHAT!!!

I will post another update as soon as Wednesday...

And I am working on getting all the timezones for you...

Bobby

jo-jo
01-07-2002, 04:42 PM
:D Can i come play too? I think i can make it! Newbie needs practice! Lots of it!!! I'm in the Rockies, so i'm "mountain"!!

kero
01-07-2002, 05:35 PM
It's a good idea! Besides, I need all the practice I can get and quick sketching it's one of the things I have problems on :)

I'll try to be here so we can play :)

ponie
01-08-2002, 08:38 AM
great idea!!!! I'd be interested! I "m quite busy, but if someone would e-mail me a reminder I'd participate!:D :D :D

ZOTMA
01-08-2002, 10:49 PM
I *Think* I can make that (hopefully)
looking forward to it, what a great idea!

Abu Haidar
01-09-2002, 02:10 AM
Setuju !! *
Count me in...

*setuju = agree

Painted Melody
01-09-2002, 03:07 AM
Bobby, I think I can make it too... I hope!!

WHere do we post our image? Under the same thread??

Jeremy

Andrew
01-09-2002, 09:58 AM
:D :D

Count me in! Barring some horrible unforeseeable circumstances, I will be there with drawing untensils in hand.

Andrew

impetuous
01-10-2002, 06:15 AM
what a fantastic idea! this will be really interesting to see all the different styles and techniques.
wont be able to make the chat though :( ...still haven't sorted out the java gremlins in my 'puter.

Gallantknight
01-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Brill !
Hopefully be with you all on
Mon 14/1/2002 @ 12.00 Midnight? GMT
..........(Could you confirm Jay...(not sunday midnight))
Also could someone post latest information on this potentially whizzo idea.... after say 13.00 GMT on Sun 13th ...If poss

christyc82
01-10-2002, 08:55 PM
if i dont have to work, and i'm around I'm up for the task...I need to practice more anyways :)

Bendaini
01-11-2002, 06:15 AM
looking forward to it... and i just joined this today :) thanks for inviting me.

MichaelRH
01-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Great idea! I hope we can set this kind of thing up again, I'll be working tonight (*grumble, grumble*) :( but I will make EVERY effort to join in when the *next* date and time is chosen. Again, Bobby...wonderful idea.

I'm in Colorado...so I will be checking and noting the time difference so I'll be up on this next time. I 'll also be looking for the posted work that results from this group. Tying in the drawings with a discussion in chat sounds great.

I remember seeing all the different examples of work posted for a drawing lesson I put together, and that was soooo much fun for me to see everyone's work.

Wishing you all lots of success with this one...keep all of us posted on the outcome...and the drawings that result.

(wish I could be there..............)
--Michael :crying:

baquitania
01-11-2002, 04:32 PM
OK Tonight's the Night!!! If you haven't heard the details by now, here they are...

Stand by at7:45 pm EST to recieve the topic for tonight in the Drawing forum... Under a thread calledFriday Night Drawing In that thread I will post 6 images, take which ever you want and save it to your hard drive for future reference, because in the morning, I will delete them (to prevent any copyright infringement)

So this is a 1 time thing... Anyway you may draw 1 or all 6, you may draw sections of the 1 you choose, this is for your benefit. Not a competition, nor an excersize in tight over detailed work, that you can do later... This is for inspiration, and for a chance to excersize your approach to a piece...

Okay so then you can work all the way up to 9:00 pm EST after which you have 20 minutes to post your finals... Please post in the same thread as the topic, UNLESS you feel you are completely done (show off) then you can make your own post.

If you do please put anFNDpreface in your thread title, so we all know that it was from this night, and we can find it easier.

THEN come CHAT... details for finding the chatroom are above at the beginning of this thread, and please note we will NOT be in the general room in the Cafe, but on the ROOF. That is a seperate room, all you have to do is click the line where it says roof on the side (if it is listing member names, then click the Room tab at the top of those names, and you will see the list of available rooms)

Okay so see you there... remember this is any medium you wish, whatever makes you comfortable, the title Drawing is my play on words due to the fact I will be giving you a draw of 6 images to choose from... I think it's gonna be fun...

Until tonight!!! :D

PS:

For those of you who cannot make it please pm me and I will send you the 6 images to choose from... just try this excersize on your own... I am pleased to say that yes... another drawing night may be given in the future (though if the members who told me need my help, I will gladly give it) ;)

Luvy
01-11-2002, 07:42 PM
I'm so ready *S* Clean brushes and a canvas board. I can't draw quickly LOL So I'm painting whatever.:evil:

quaya
01-11-2002, 09:19 PM
I still have charcoal all over my fings.. I did stop at 9.. Did I make it? first one...yuck!! I was too nervous!

mjkohler
01-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Hi, I'm interested in joining this however, I really find it hard to work out when 8:00 p.m. e.s.t. is. Any simple ways I can find out. mjk

baquitania
01-12-2002, 03:51 AM
mjkohler:

i'm told it would be the next day for you at 2pm. so if we on EST at 8pm were starting on the 11th, you should be on the 12th at 2pm... but the time for the next one will change, so i will keep you apprized...

Bobby

mjkohler
01-12-2002, 05:39 AM
:) thanking you very much, that would be really appreciated. mjk