PDA

View Full Version : ~ Coneflower in Cloisonne ~ REACTIVATED THREAD

NodakerDeb
07-07-2005, 06:13 PM
MODERATOR'S NOTE:
This thread has resurfaced from 2005. Please continue to enjoy it but keep in mind that it is not current and that the member initiating the thread may not be keeping up with current comments.

Back in April when I had my first, and probably only <gg> gallery opening, http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267688 there was a painting which sold immediately -- before I had even arrived to the place. A person was waiting there with a check. It was one of those paintings that took me about 2 hours to do, and I really only put it in the show to take up more space. It was a small (8 x 10) acrylic on Yupo. It was absolutely nothing that blew my hair back.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflower-cropped-350pix.jpg

However, I was shocked at the amount of positive response I got for it, and one person said she wanted me to paint another one just like it only in blues/purples/whites/lilacs, and BIG. She and her husband own an Optical store in town and have fitted my entire family with glasses for the last 30 years. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said they wanted me to paint something for them I would be quite wealthy by now. Of course, most people never contact me again. :) Just so happened that I had to get my Rx changed in the old specs to I went into the shop yesterday. Elaine asked how her painting was coming along... gulp... she was really serious!! I hadn't even thought about doing the painting, let alone even start on it!

So,

I have now just started <gg> a full sheet Coneflower in Cloisonne in the cool tones. I have approached this very differently than anything I've painted before. The only thing similar so far is that I sketched it out with fluid acrylic in an oiler boiler. Instead of metallic gold, I used cobalt teal. I then poured many thin coats of various phthalo blues/FUB/ and Dioxanine Purple. The ridges from the cloisonne showed through so I was able to go back in and start to bring out my 'lights' with washes of gesso. One thing I love about using acylics is that one can work on a toned canvas from dark to light. I am applying the same principle to the watercolor paper by first 'toning' it dark and working out to the lights with the acrylic watercolor.. I will also go back in and add many darks, but I wanted an overall medium value range to start with.

Here are a couple of photos. Please keep in mind that because they are in the blue/purple range the color is all off with my digi cam. This is a very preliminary stage. There is no reference photo... this posies come directly from my head. (this explains a lot... LOL!!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflw_003-500pix.jpg

A close-up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflw_001-cropped.jpg

Last night I fiddled around a bit on a scrap piece to get some feel for color saturation, granulation, etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflw_002-test.jpg

Deb

tigre255
07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
WOW....this is going to be fantastic....will be watching.;)

AnneBedford
07-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Very nice work and a fabulous amount of possibilities. Keep painting and let us see what you do, please.
Anne

Becky-Bob
07-07-2005, 06:34 PM
SUPER!! You do SUCH good work. ;)

Celeste McCall
07-07-2005, 06:40 PM
:) :) :) Hey Deb, I'm lovin' this one.....love the look of cloisonne on porcelain also....have a friend in Amarillo that does this. She uses 24k gold to outline the flowers though.

What are you using for the gold outline?

This is very interesting!!! I'm here for the duration. Waiting for the finish!!!

laudesan
07-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Deb you "do" such beautiful work !!!

CharM
07-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Wow... so you did put that swatch of my hair to good use when I sent it... lol... kidding... just kidding...

I'm already in love with this... the busy composition is right up my alley... the purples will be a beautifully rich background for the coneflowers... those centres are to die for...

I can't wait to see where you take this next...

Really glad that you're painting again, dear friend... your talent is inspirational to all of us!!!

bairam
07-07-2005, 09:30 PM
This is totally new to me. I've never seen this done before. I'll be watching and learning.

Love both of these.

NodakerDeb
07-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Golly, darn, and gee whiz... I love my WC friends. You ALL make me feel so good about my work. I look at what I do and just see BUTT, BUTT, BUTT.

Char, g/f, as you know, after my one and only gallery opening (LOL !!), I went into a major frump and couldn't paint to save my soul. My dear friend and art professor told me it was not unusual to suffer from a post traumatic stress syndrome type of situation after having such a 'high'. If that is what is was, I had a bad case of it. I still have absolutely no confidence, and pretty much expect to mess this up before it is all said and done, but I'm getting back into the saddle. Char, you also brought up the 'center's of the fleurs which is a good thing. One of the reasons I'm bringing out the 'whites' with gesso is so I can make some of them dark again. :evil: The centers being the main target. The center I have done on the scratch sheet is what I'm aiming for. I didn't want to fiddle with masking fluid, and since I have no fear of using gesso over darks I decided to just throw caution to the wind and pour the whole tham ding. I'll bring the centers back to white to put in the darker colors and yellow. I didn't want to put yellow over the blue/purple, so I had to bring it back to white. Clear as mud? :) (ps. thanks for the lock of hair... I'm getting a lot of mileage out of it :) )

Celeste, the cloisonne is Golden fluid acrylic which I put into a little squirt bottle thingy. (those who paint on glass use them). Normally, with my cloisonne look I will use the Light Gold (fine) Irridescent.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/36302-ChaminadeintheTulips-500pix-digi.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/36302-ChaminadeintheTulips-600pix-cropped.jpg

For the coneflower painting I used Cobalt Teal. My main objective was to be able to see where I wanted to paint after I had 'toned' the paper. :)

Bairam, this is the first time I have toned watercolor paper and worked backwards. It may work famously, or completely backfire. With heavy bodied acrylics I no longer work on a white canvas as I find that a toned canvas produces a much richer painting. I coat my canvases with Venetian Red or Burnt Sienna gesso. :eek:

JJ, :wave: g/f!

Deb

olliewood0702
07-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Oh Deb...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this kind of painting and you do them so well. I'll be waiting for the progress on this and watching until the finish...

Celeste McCall
07-08-2005, 12:02 AM
This is a butterfly painted on Porcelain by Dorothy from Australia

She used lusters, structure paste and real gold painted on top of the raised work. This was painted on a round plate it seems in her photo.

It's beautiful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/34228-ButterflybyDot.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/34228-butterflybydotcloseup.jpg

I LOVE the image of the dog and flowers in cloisonne. This is fabulous Deb. I can see where this would be very successful at a gallery. :)

Waiting for your next steps whenever you get some time.....don't hurry....I'll be here waiting patiently. :) :) :)

NodakerDeb
07-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Celeste, Dorothy's work is SUPERB!!! I also love cloisonne, and would covet this plate :) Thank you so much for sharing it!

I came about this cloisonne technique by accident when I was doing the Basenji (Chaminade in Cloisonne). I would like to do more of it, but it's really time consuming, and a bit too tight for my comfort zone. However, it is therapeutic because it's calming in a way.

I'm having a dickens of a time getting the color correct on this painting. It is not this blue, but more in the violet/lilac range. No matter what I do to the white balance on my camera it is not showing true to color.

Char, this is how the centers will look when I get finished. The camera doesn't pick up the shimmer of the copper. The centers are done in Diox. Purple/Dairlylide Yellow (the two allowed to mix on their own make a rock'in rich brown). I dropped the copper in for excitment. (are we having fun yet? :)) I have also started work on the lower right flower. You can see some heavier layers of <shhhh...> white. The dark part under the petals are not that dark nor that brown IRL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflw2-500pix.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflw2-cropped.jpg

So far, working on this toned paper is pretty cool.

Deb

mrs willow
07-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Deb: I have already commented on this thread over in the acrylic forum. It is (as previously stated) looking great. Thank you for sharing your journey through this process with us all
Sandy :clap: :clap:

devotedmomof7
07-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Deb: This is GREAT! Keep posting!

Cheryl

jaydiva
07-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Wow, Deb, this is going to be fantastic! It already looks superb in this early stage :clap: :clap: :clap:

I always enjoy your bright and colourful paintings. you do such beautiful and great work, count me in on your fanclub :)

Jutta

bluegenes
07-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Deb, this is sooooo cool! Are you going to leave some of them purple?

Patty

ChristopherTrigueiro
07-08-2005, 08:38 AM
WOW... Beatiful work.

Donīt stop... Itīs soul great.

sarathered
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Wow ... I've never seen this technique before, but it makes me want to try it! Truly inspiring work, and it's easy to see why you're having success with it. I definitely think you've found a niche and style with it that works well for you. I look forward to seeing the finished work, everything looks BEAUTIFUL so far. I'm sure they will be thrilled with the finished product.

mustcreate
07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
oh my this is gorgeous!!!

don't keep us waiting....finish this!!! :D

em

CharM
07-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Drooling...

CharPavlov'sDog

painterbear
07-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Deb,

Woweee! You are coming back with a BANG from your temporary hiatus! This is really looking fantastic and those flower centers are breathtaking!

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Sylvia

aquarius
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Wow Deb this is looking fantastic, was wondering how you get these whites after your first washes, but after reading your thread carefully I understood you use gesso. I love the way you experiment with these media, and with success!!! :clap: :clap:
Don't let us wait too long to see the next step... :wink2:

Carola

Strider
07-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Deb, the granulation is super-duper and the colors are sweet. This is very cool piece... :wave:

jaytee
07-08-2005, 06:47 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!! I like it lots..... as for

I'm having a dickens of a time getting the color correct on this painting. It is not this blue, but more in the violet/lilac range. No matter what I do to the white balance on my camera it is not showing true to color

dont worry........ been looking at Char's hair for a long time now on the screen so can mentally correct ;) great that you are back and doing something so exciting to watch.......Im pulling up a chair.......... whos got the chocolate???

NodakerDeb
07-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't know why, but I just can't get the color right on this painting. The first photo I took is the most accurate, and from thereon everything is just too blue. If I adjust the colors to take out the green, or add red the flowers looks pink.

This painting is going in a direction that I'm not liking, but the person who wants this painting wants a very cloisonne look so that's where it's headed.

Imagine the coloration of the first full photo. Here is where I'm at. When I get the painting finished I'll go back in and add more darks toward the center of the white flowers on the petals. The flowers that are a bit whiter up the center will also be white, the rest will be done in the pastel colors shown (smaller flowers to the left) which will be light blue and lilac. Those centers will remain the lighter colors also. Unfortunately, the variation of color in the background are not showing up :( . The background is more deep violet/purple.

I'm pulling my hair out with this camera. Either I've got a serious case of the stupids, or my digi just doesn't like these colors!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2005/36302-CC2-1.jpg

Deb

Ze Artiste
07-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm fascinated by this, Deb. Admire your creativity!
:clap: :clap:

painterbear
07-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Deb,

It is looking wonderful. I'm so sorry you are having such trouble getting a true representation of your colors. I TOTALLY understand. I couldn't get the iris painting you see in my signature line to come out true. If I got the flower to look right (which is what I settled on), the background was too dark and looked almost black instead of a deep, rich blue (which it is IRL). If I adjusted for the blue in the background, the flower looked pink instead of peach. It drove me NUTS! :mad: So I can honestly say I know what you mean.

Sylvia

nes7827
07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow Deb, I love this! The palette is terrific.... I really like how you made all those flowers different, that's hard to do. How many are you going to finish? From how it looks to me, I'd do a few more in back and call it done. It looks like you're a convert to acrylics - I remember someone saying a while back they couldn't be used as w/c! :p Nick :clap:

bluegenes
07-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Deb, this is just great!
I know what you mean about trying to get the colours right, my blues always look purple, and your purples look kinda blue.
But whatever, we can all see it's a wonderful painting, and I envy your creativity!!

Patty

NodakerDeb
07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
:wave: Sandy, I saw you over in Acrylics :wave: , and so appreciate you checking up on me. Your positive comments and kind spirit boost me more than you know.

Cheryl, I appreciate yours and your Mums! comments so much. The two of you have more talent in your little pinkies than I'd ever hope to have.

Ze Artist, thank you so much for taking a peek. ;)

Sarathered, I have only Nick Simmons to thank for 'coining' this technique. He is the one who labeled it 'cloisonne', which of course is obvious once it's pointed out :). (thanks Nick :wave: ). It's fun to do, but a bit 'tight' for my personal preference. People seem to love it though..

Carola, my dear Belgium g/f <hugs>, thank you so much for commenting. I have been SO negligent in our private correspondence, but it's not because I don't think of you. I've just got such a cluttered life. I look at my painting of the Fruit Bowl every day (it's in my kitchen <gg>), and enjoy it more and more. (Carola = Aquarius)

ChristopherT...verylongmoniker, thank you for taking a peek :)

Sylvia, you are are stalwart W/C friend. I am always humbled by how you always comment when I am so negligent in return. I never fail to look at your work, and that of many others, but I am simply horrible when it comes to making comments. I just have so much going on. I keep telling myself that when I no longer have a real job, I'm not a student, and I don't paint anymore ... then I'll have time. How do the rest of y'all do it???

Strider :wave: Thanks for popping in. I like seeing you in my threads <gg>!

Em!!! I am always honored when you take a look at my work. You are one of the fleur painter extraordinnaires. You, Char, and Uschi have raised the bar so high that is is unatainable by the likes of moi!

JT, one of my most favorite English ladies. (is it obvious that I LOVE the English <gg>), oh heck, I just love the British (and Welsh). It may have something to do with the fact that I'm Scottish, Welsh, and English, OR, it could be your sense of humoUr, and resolve, cheekiness, and love of warm beer. ;)

Patty, this digi cam of mine is about to get drop kicked across the plains. I can't capture purple to save my life. grrrr.....

Ok Nick ( :wave: ), gotta get technical now. (BTW, thanks for the accolades, but I think you are just puffing my feathers out of kindness). What my PATHETIC camera can't capture is that all of the white flowers have a different hue, tint, or whatever it's called, about them. Some are more lilac, some more blue, and the bottom left corner is more yellow. This was done by originally painting them with an undercoat of those colors and then gesso-ing on top. The upper flowers will remain more transparent, and the background colors will blend into the top colors. Yes, I'm a convert to using acrylics in a watercolor media. It's ALL YOUR FAULT, (don't even try to blame it on Valfred!), and I take no responsibility for it! I also blame you for using WHITE, splattering paint, Payne's gray, having a fully loaded squirt bottle at the ready at any given moment, 3 inch brushes, and using gesso with abandon. So there! (and, don't stick your tongue out at me... :p )

Deb

CharM
07-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Does this mean I have to change my hair colour???

Hey girl... it's really looking beautiful... I just love this busy composition... and I can't wait to see... MORE... :D

NodakerDeb
07-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Plugging away on this.

Char, no need to change your hair color -- just don't expect it to look purple in any photo I should take of you. ;) :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2005/36302-CC3.jpg

Deb

Celeste McCall
07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
LOOKING GREAT DEB!!!!

(the blues in my paintings always look too blue also - not sure why though)

Watching still. :)

Roun2it
07-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Fantastic Deb, like the rest ------------- still watching........

Sonia
07-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Haven't had chance to read the whole of this thread yet, but am logging in to keep track of it. Absolutely stunning so far - you certainly know how to stop people in their tracks!

nes7827
07-14-2005, 12:28 PM
This looks gorgeous Deb, can't wait to see how you finish it - you should definitely make giclees of this one!!

Intrigued
07-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi Deb
I joined WC in Jan of this year and am always amazed at the tremendous amount of talent on this site. I have only been painting 1 1/2 years and am self taught so I really haven't done anything that I thought anyone would want to see but I am writing for your help. Coneflower in Cloisonne is just so inspiring and I have been waiting to see the finish.......soon......right? I decided that I would try something similar and have started some iris. Not having any acrylics or gouache, i used just watercolor to acheive a stained glass look and ordered some acrylic metallic colors and a set of oiler boilers. Thankfully, I started on a scrap piece of paper because when I try to apply the thin line of acrylic I get what looks like a line of little beads. I have tried thinning and thickening the acrylic and I hold steady pressure on the container. Can you possibably give me any ideas or suggestions on how you achieved your nice thin lines of gold. I appreciate any help that anyone may give. Really looking forward to seeing your completed Coneflowers.
Thank you so much,
Vicki

Uschi
07-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Just saw this - WOWEE Deb, you are putting me into the painting mood! I just love your experimentations and how they ALWAYS turn out sooooo terriffic!!! Keeping my eyes pinned on this!!!
Uschi

NodakerDeb
07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Hello friends :wave:

I have been out of town and not in communicado. Got back about 3 days ago and was able to finish this up.

Celeste. I have totally given up trying to get the color correct on this painting. In some ways I think it is pointless to even post it because the colors are all wrong, and when I adjust the tonal values I lose all of the detail :(.

Round2it and Sonia. Thank you for taking a peek, and Sonia... your comments are too kind!

Nickers, no more giclees. My giclee contact has left the state, not to mention the process is so expensive... seeing a return on the investment doesn't happen often enough :)

Vicki, another kind person with comments that make me feel like a million bucks :). Don't be discouraged about getting a perfect bead. If you saw my cloisonne work upclose and personal you would quickly see that I do not get a perfect line. It takes a lot of practice, and you have to apply constant pressure to maintain the flow. I find these 'gutta' do-hickies work better than the oiler boiler. I found them at Michael's in the glass painting department.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2005/36302-do-hickeys.jpg

I use Golden fluid acrylics... no thinning. Practice, practice, practice :)

Uschi, g/f, I am always thrilled when one of the world's best flower painters takes a peek at my work ;). Gads, if I could paint flowers like you and Char -- I could retire!

Coneflower in Cloisonne-2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflower-Cloisonne-Blue-finished600pix.jpg

For some reason when I uploaded this to my website the darker background seems to portray a more accurate color. Still not nearly as purple as it should be, but a bit closer.

http://www.deborahs-art.com/RecentWork.htm

Thanks to all for your encouraging words and comments.

Deb

Fireman's kid
07-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Deb, I can't believe that you would ever feel a lack of confidence. Every time I open your threads I see beautiful work that is so unique and creative. And this painting is no exception! :clap: I know you are disappointed that the colors aren't true, but trust me the beauty is not lost. I am sure your customer will love it.

Well done! I hope you are firmly back in the painting groove now. :)

Stacy

Uschi
07-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Uschi, g/f, I am always thrilled when one of the world's best flower painters takes a peek at my work ;). Gads, if I could paint flowers like you and Char -- I could retire!
Deb

Well g/f let me tell you, purely due to your inspiration I started a full sheet of white daysies and let me tell you that what I have so far is totally flat in comparison to yours. Years ago, before I became old, crotchety and cynical, people used to tell me that the sun started to shine in the room when I came in. Well, each and every one of your paintings brings joy and the sunshine in!!!!

So, what an incredibly joyful and wonderful paiting you have turned out AGAIN!!!! GOOOOORGEOUUUUS!!!!
Uschi

NodakerDeb
07-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Stacy and Uschi,

I can't tell you how much your words mean to me. Can I give you two a {hug}? You have no idea how many times I just want to chuck my brushes and throw my paint against the wall. I completely lose all objectivity when it comes to my work.

Uschi, I am looking forward to seeing your full sheet. I KNOW it will be drop dead gorgeous! (I too, am old, crotchety and extremely cynical. I think we would get along fantastic :))

Deb

SusanKay
07-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Deb::clap:
I like this look very much. I have a sketch of a martigras mask that I want to do in water color. When you say that you toned the paper, and brought out lights with acrylic watercolor; can you explain that a little further.

Are you using gesso to bring in the light color?
I was planning to paint the mask on a colorful patch work background and then have the mask look sort of white porcelean. Do you think that I can get that with the cloisonne effect. I just love the bright colors of your paintings. I have done some water colors with masking fluid in my little bottles like yours, outlining and then adding color. I did it on some christmas card to get a stained glass look.

I really want to try this technique. I paint in acrylics all the time and can do it on canvas, but I really want to try it on w/c paper.

thanks for any help in advance.
susan:music:

NodakerDeb
07-28-2005, 11:38 PM
What I did :evil:

I blasted a halogen lamp on this painting, then shot it with the white balance set at 'florescent', and I got about as close as I could to the true colors. I'm also uploading a close-up, but it is very blurry. Sorry.. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflower-Cloisonne-Blue2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2005/36302-Coneflower-Cloisonne-Blue2-closeup.jpg

Deb

Sonia
07-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpialidotious (definitely doesn't look like the right spelling, but you know what I mean!). Splendifferous too!

painterbear
07-29-2005, 06:14 AM
Deb,

What a wonderful painting this has turned out to be. Innovative and beautiful. I like it better than the first one that sold so quickly. The colors really appeal to me. Your friend should be thrilled with it.

Sylvia

CharM
07-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi Deb... Your client is one lucky person... at twice the price, he/she's getting a bargain... I mean... how can you put a price on sunshine in a bottle or perpetual pretty on paper???

This is the most beautiful painting of daisies I've ever seen... Your imagination takes me to places I've never been or even considered... you are an inspiration to all of us...

Don't you EVER chuck those brushes of yours... we would be bereft...

I have given you my Mentor Point for the day and rated your thread...

jaytee
07-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Debs... for some reason this thread opened for me with the mounted pic slap bang in the middle of my screen and I actually caught my breath !!!

This is absolutely STUNNING !!!!! havent read the rest of the comments yet but had to say what my immediate reaction was.............this is original and quite, quite beautiful..........

I see Char has just given you a mentor point........ I was about to 'merit' you but it would seem I have to read the WHOLE thread first ;) I shall look forward to that :)

bluegenes
07-29-2005, 07:47 AM
You've come a long way baby!! LOL
Deb, this is just so unique and beautiful!! I just can't find the right words to describe it! :clap: :clap: :clap: So glad you shared it with us!

Side note to Uschi: You still light up a room when you walk in!! :D

Patty

Intrigued
07-29-2005, 02:08 PM
This was truly worth the wait to see it finished! It is BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you so very much for answering my questions and also taking the time to send a picture of the applicator bottles. I will post my iris picture when finished but want to thank you in advance for the inspiration to post something after just watching you guys for seven months. Your website is also a joy to look at.
Thanks Vicki

hopefulbucky
07-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Oh my gosh, Deb this is just drop dead gorgeous. Love the blue, violets, lavendars, purples and the cloissone work is wonderful. Me thinks that a tutorial would be wonderful for some of us that might light to try this. The person that commissioned this is going to be so very happy and pleased. I just have to go look at it again it is so very beautiful. Congrats. You definitely just got my merit point.

nes7827
07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Deb, FANTASTIC!!! Wow even better than anybody could have imagined, it's incredible. What a great balance of everything...I love the pattern of darks leading back there, and the variety you got in the colors of the flowers. Impossible to pick a favorite part... I think you could sell this one a hundred times- go for the prints! $$$$$ :) Nick

Becky-Bob
07-30-2005, 08:43 PM
WOW Deb!! :clap:

NodakerDeb
08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I delievered this painting yesterday to my client (seems weird to call her that since I've been 'her' client for the last 30 years. LOL!). She was thrilled beyond words. I presented it to her framed (presentation is everything :)), knowing of course that she will re-frame it. We use the same framing shop where I get my mats cut so I told her to just have them give me a call when they are finished and I'll come pick up the 'pieces' of the frame and matting when they change it out. She (her husband also) are going to hang this in their place of business (optical shop) so I should be able to get a picture of it in its new frame. She was thinking a very dark mat with gold ornate wood frame. I suggested a 'fillet' to set the mat up higher and to give it more glitz. I don't think cost is an issue with them, so I'm thinking this painting will end up looking pretty snazzy.

Thanks to each of you for your kind, and very encouraging words. Thank you JT and hopefulbucky for the merit points. Char, I think you have given me my very first ever mentor point!

Sylvia, I agree, this painting is leaps and bounds better than the first one. That first one was really just a quickie that I tried on Yupo. Putting it into the show was nothing more than a space taker-upper. :)

Nick, I can't do a giclee because my giclee lady has moved to Texas. I would have to send this original somewhere and I just didn't want to chance it. I can't get a decent photo of it to send a .jpg because of the purples, so it will have to be a one and only.

Deb

madmum
08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
How did I miss this??????

Deb, I think this is just about the most beautiful painting I have ever seen! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ruth

mustcreate
08-02-2005, 10:53 AM
yup!! it was worth the wait!!

terrific finish Deb

love your colour choices

such a happy group of blossoms you have here

em

NodakerDeb
08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I got a call from Elaine yesterday saying I just 'had' to get down to their shop to see the 'Coneflower in Cloisonne" painting all framed up and hung on the wall. I couldn't be more pleased with the mat, fillet and frame she picked out. I'm sure the 100kb allowable photo will not capture how nice it really looks IRL, but here it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/36302-Maves-Coneflower-500pix.jpg

A few more pixels if you want a looksee at my web site:

http://www.deborahs-art.com/RecentWork.htm -- (you will have to scroll down a titch)

Deb

Celeste McCall
08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
This looks terrific Deb. Hey, how much are those spectacles for sale?

Lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely painting!

Lots of clappies to you. :)

NodakerDeb
08-16-2005, 08:25 PM
This looks terrific Deb. Hey, how much are those spectacles for sale?

Celeste, you don't even want to know! This is a privately owned optical shop so you get very custom treatment. Their 'collections' are not cheap, but oh my are they gorgeous. Gary has been my 'spectacle' guy for 25 years and he currently has me in a very 'urban, uptown, and sophisticated' frame :cool: . Of course, I need lineless bi-focals, anti-glare, transition lenses, this isition, that isition, and any other isition you can think of. I think I took out a second mortgage on the house for this last pair of specs. The frames hail from Denmark, but goodness gracious... I look like a babemeister, and an artist! LOL!
Deb

CharM
08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
You are an artiste... :D Looking the part is gravy on your potatoes... :D

Your painting looks gorgeous all framed up, Deb...

NodakerDeb
08-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Thank you Char, g/f. BTW, I was kidding about the 'babemeister' thing ;). I'm old, and I know it!

Deb

Ian Bruce
08-16-2005, 09:18 PM
I really like what you are doing. Keep it up. Post it all.

toyam
08-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Wow!!

Artiste is the word !!

Bonnie R

artdreamer1
08-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Deb,

Just MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!! Love your work--cannot believe that you could ever doubt how super a painter you really are. Your paintings are sooo original and colorful and inspiring to me--I hope to (someday) paint just like you. You (and so many others on this site) really keep me going. Can't wait to see more!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Michele

nes7827
08-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Good to see it hanging up, Deb...are they going to use that as an eye test? I think I would have preferred a more contemporary frame job for that particular one, but once it's sold, you have to let it go....
It's a great painting, a lot of people could learn from it, myself included :clap: ....Nick

laudesan
08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
You are an artiste... :D Looking the part is gravy on your potatoes... :D

Your painting looks gorgeous all framed up, Deb...

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vasilkadifeli
08-17-2005, 01:42 AM
...I couldn't be more pleased with the mat, fillet and frame she picked out...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/36302-Maves-Coneflower-500pix.jpg

Deb I missed this thread but your final framed painting is fantastic... you should do more of them ;)... I like the dark mat (what color is it actually?) and the golden frame... btw what is a fillet ? is it the thin part between the mat and the painting ? if so I guess it is also in golden color but it is not so visible from here :)

bluegenes
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Looks great Deb! Proud of ya!

Patty

NodakerDeb
08-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi Vasil :wave: , Yes, the fillet is a little itty bitty wood type frame which sits between the mat and the painting. It lifts the mat up a bit from the painting. This particular fillet is very 'slight' and is gold beaded. IRL this looks beautiful framed, but like Nick, I'm more of a contemporary type person. I would have put a black mat on it, and a more linear gold fillet. Not sure what I would have done with the frame, but I'd have thought of something. The mat the client chose was a very deep purple linen mat. It's quite striking actually. No matter what mat I would have gone with... it would have been wider :)

Thanks to all for looking and commenting. I wished I liked this cloisonne stuff as much as most people do. :(

Deb
P.S. Bonnie, I saw your orange "wow". You remember :)

jaydiva
08-18-2005, 03:53 AM
This is drop-dead-beautiful!!!!
i really enjoyed this demontration of your fantastic skills, Thanks Deb!!!

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

Sonia
08-18-2005, 04:25 PM
This is definitely one to make the customers' eyes pop! I envy your bold use of colour - I shall have to splash out on some of these Golden acrylics and see if I can break away from my "pale and delicate" tendencies (just once in a while, anyway).

KarenSioson
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Deb,

This painting is very very beautiful and thank you for sharing how you made it. I'm getting goosebumps here because I see that this WIP was done 2005. And for the past year I've been struggling with a similar idea and calling it faux cloisonne. How I wish I'd discovered this area of wetcanvas then. As I'm reading through the WIP, I can't help but feel this sense of deja vu and regret that I haven't seen this earlier. I could have started using gutha applicator months earlier instead of painstakingly applying the gold outline by detail brush which took the longest time. Discovered the applicator method only a few days ago while checking out the gutta set a friend gave me.

Also just started experimenting last night with gesso after seing Nick's floral demo in the learning archives. A bit difficult to get used to, this easy lifting thing, but the color results, I likey! It says there he applied only a thin amount of gesso to avoid cracking it. I'm experimenting on doing the opposite but have no previous experience with gesso except for using it on oil canvas. I'm trying to see if deliberately applying it thick and sort of agitating the paper (crumpling it and stretching it out again) would create that crackling effect you see in porcelein / pottery. I'm after discovering various ways to introduce textures to my work this year and am inspired to try mixed media. Any experience on applying the gesso thickly on watercolor paper? One of my concerns is that it might flake off with the painted surface. :eek: I mean, later on after the painting is done and have been set aside for months.

I hope you will post more WIPS on cloisonne.

Thank you very much for showing this beauty of a painting. Made me happy just viewing it. And thanks for showing us the method.

Karen

Faafil
12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Deb, if you're still looking in or getting updates on this thread, I just have to say it's inspirational! :clap: (and hope you're still painting)

My son's girlfriend's favorite flowers are daisies, and he asked me to paint something for her and I remembered this thread... I'll be borrowing some of your gorgeous techniques and making a trip to Michael's for the glass-painting thingamabobs:thumbsup:

I recently took Nick's workshop this past October and I'm itching to get out my fluid acrylics again :D

Thank you!!!!

HarvestMoon
12-20-2010, 11:45 AM
This has been moved to watermedia, since it is acrylic painted in the watercolor manner.

virgo68
12-20-2010, 06:39 PM
WOW! I wasn't around WC back when this was painted so thanks for bumping it up! What a stunning effect, shall be coming back to re-read this one when time permits.... ;)