PDA

View Full Version : melting madness!

LA
08-07-2000, 05:21 PM
hi people!

i love using oil pastels, although i am not very good with them. they are quick, easy, portable and not too messy!
i have recently executed a painting in oil pastels on a ready prepared board and had previously read that it was an interesting effect to paint over it in white spirits.

i did this and it prodiced a really interesting effect because it melted the oil in the pastels (or something like that!)

however when i had built up the wash-like layers to the desired effect, i found that it started to come off!!!!!!!!

to try to stop this i sprayed spray fixative over the top but this didnt help..in fact it is making it worse!!

any ideas?????

LA

p.s. has anyone else tried oil pastels and white spirits??

what are your thoughts?

ALSO does anyone have any other interesting ideas for unusual combinations or mediums??id love to hear about them!

good luck!!
happy melting!
LA

arteitaliana
08-14-2000, 03:58 AM
What kind of board were you using?
I don't use oil pastels but I know that they are used with turpentine or mineral spirit.
Is it possible that the board does not have enough tooth ? It is also possible that you used too much of the solvent and the pastels were too diluted to stay attached to the support.
Hope this helps.