PDA

View Full Version : On her way

Mikey
07-07-2005, 06:54 AM
The new Chinese woman who is ready made for success.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
This is a good start. Are you using earth green for the outline? Iíll be watching your progress on this one.

Mikey
07-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks Bruce. I've got a Trans Red Oxide ground with the drawing Red Oxide and Ultramarine. But since I've just finished my latest portrait soon to go on the main OC forum a bit of Pthalo Green aand Raw Sienna has strayed in.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Red oxide was Titians favorite colour. I remember reading he used to paint on a thick layer before he started painting. The one I use is PR101 from W&N, but Iíve only used it once they way Titian did.

laketrees
07-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi Mikey...just heard the dreadful news about the bombs over there....I hope all is fine with you.....
A good beginning with this painting Mikey...
kim

Mikey
07-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Bruce, yes this is PR101 from MH. It is a truly useful pigment for portraits when mixed.

Thanks Kim. I had to rely on Bruce to tell me what had happened. I live nearly ninety miles away from London in the land of sleepy nod, so nothing much happens here relatively speaking. I'm hearing the news now.

Mikey

laketrees
07-07-2005, 08:35 AM
I live nearly ninety miles away from London in the land of sleepy nod, so nothing much happens here relatively speaking.
Hi Mikey...that's good to hear and good of Bruce to let you know...I read his comment in the cafe thread..
kim

Mikey
07-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Todays work, I may have to slow down a bit.

laketrees
07-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi Mikey
I love the colour combination and the tie in with the lips is fantastic......will you stay with these colours and intensity?
cheers kim

Mikey
07-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi Kim, the robe is an intense kingfisher blue with a Chinese design and I'll want to show that, but not at the expense of it dominating over her face. The pink lip colours are actually repeated in the robe. I'll see how the Trans Red Oxide ground works later.

Mikey

Mikey
07-08-2005, 07:42 AM
This may give a better idea of my values, although flare seems to have got the better of the top half. The room is white with Hui standing in front of a bay window. There is a red curtain to her left which will show some reflection in her cheek.

Mikey

laketrees
07-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Hi Mikey....yes I see...is that line on her left shoulder...closest to the kimino going to be painted in?....
cheers kim

Mikey
07-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Hi Kim, the Red Oxide seems to fit fairly well for the background, but I'll want to go over it with some opaque paint, so yes that drawing will be covered.

Mikey

Mikey
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
This is the best colour correction I can manage at the moment. I used an orange semi-transparent layer rather than the softwares usual controls. I had to take the photo in shadow becuae of the wet paint. The mouth needs to be lowered rather than the chin be higher. That mouth isn't quite right anyway and needs to be better to keep the likeness true.

Mikey

laketrees
07-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi Mikey....this is looking excellent......I think the position of the mouth is fine......however she seems to have a very slight double chin...but if you're after a good likeness...then you know what is best......re: drawing line on her left shoulder...I should have asked whether the blue colour was going to be filled in up to the inside line....sometimes it's hard ...typing when the written word can be interpreted differently...... :confused: :D
cheers kim

Mikey
07-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I seem to be losing this somewhere. Maybe I'd better take a break. I've adjusted the chin and put a subtle shadow in her right cheek. That cheesed expression is not what I want.

Mikey

Mikey
07-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Once again the lighting outdoors is a problem with brown brushmarks showing which ought not. That insect was having a fine time on her arm. Out, out black spot.

The hair, arms and fingers have to be finished, but even so I've been loosely putting in some of the Chinese design. I think it is better loose and less detailed. The face is a fairly similar colour to the background and to me has that coming out of nowhere appearance, but I'm not overhappy about changing the colours too much.

Any comments at tbis stage will be appreciated.

Mikey

laketrees
07-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Out, out black spot
Hi Mikey....LOL.....the things that try us......the work on the arms is good...and her face is looking good...one small thing ...her left (viewers) shoulder seems a touch high for the positioning of her arms....... :)
cheers kim

Mikey
07-12-2005, 04:36 AM
Thanks for pointing it out Kim. Her right shoulder is correct, but the left should be lower.

Mikey