PDA

View Full Version : A Good Hole -- High, Dry and Shaded

Jim Updegraff
07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Here is another reconstructed memory from 35 or 40 years ago. My chief legal clerk, a Spec Five from Tennessee, never liked going to the field. He had spent a year as a rifleman with the First Cavalry Division, had managed to get himself reassigned to a staff job and figured he ought to be exempt from ever having to sleep on the ground again. I shared his feelings and sympathized but I was his boss and if I had to go to the field so did he. So here he is shortly after dawn on a pleasant summer day someplace between Würzburg and Schweinfurt having just finished a C-Ration breakfast and feeling out of sorts and very sorry for himself.

He was a good kid and a very good clerk. I haven’t seen him or heard from him since 1970.

Oil on canvas, 20" x 24" and a long way to go.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/34977-100_0949_2.JPG

Marysa
07-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Jim, if you ever do a coffee table book with your paintings and stories, let me know. :wave:

Mary

Anita Murphy
07-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Jim, if you ever do a coffee table book with your paintings and stories, let me know

Get yourself a publisher - this is an amazing idea - I'm standing in line with Mary for a copy!