PDA

View Full Version : Wow! We won!

jackiesimmonds
07-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I have just watched the Chairman of the Olympics committee open the envelope, and announce that LONDON has won the bid for the 2012 Olympics!

OK - I am now officially in training.

Training for painting moving figures, that is. And for queueing, tho we are quite good at that over here....

Very exciting for us Brits. It was quite a moment - thousands of people in Trafalgar Square went momentarily crazy - lovely to see!

J

K Taylor-Green
07-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Congrats to London, Jackie! Bet you'll get tons of great figure paintings!

scall0way
07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I was just reading about it in the news. Congratulations to London, and here's hoping for some wonderful art opportunities. :D

Debbie C.

eyre
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Congrats to London! I just traveled to London about a month ago. It's so lovely, and I grew fond of the city! I can't wait to come back for another visit!

Khadres
07-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Congrats on the Olympics bid! The only drawback is that London will become even MORE expensive between now and then! I hope to maybe get over there one more time before I croak, so I hope it's before the Olympic prices set in!

Jackie, you should have lots of crowd painting opportunities for sure! Should be very exciting!

HarvestMoon
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
:clap: Congrads! I guess they will row up the Thames river... should be very cool. I love Trafalgar Square - the cool wrap around billboards. Should be a good time, and yes, ya'll are the masters of standing in line.... don't run over too many tourists because you drive on the wrong side of the road :D

Ruth Grinstead
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
It is great news isn't it. I haven't decided what to train for though, Jackie, so you are a couple of steps ahead of me already :D .

Perhaps I should become a builder as they are predicting a shortage with all the facilities that need to be built.

Ruth

Bringer
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Congratulations !!!
But don't forget that you WILL loose with us playing football :p

Kind regards,

José

Dark_Shades
07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
ha ha Jose

were all ready trying to plan what we will go and see :) - I could pop up there each night from work

Exciting times for us

HarvestMoon
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Jose- you mean soccer?? ha ha... we will surely win the basketball games, I am in training for online ordering- a new sport- I can surely beat everybody except perhaps Sooz and Donna....

Dark_Shades
07-06-2005, 05:46 PM
No Purples...... Jose means FOOTBALL :D

there is a diff between the two

ha ha ......

HarvestMoon
07-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Dark Shades- I know, I know was giving Jose a hard time since we are backwards.... and our football is what to you guys? I fail to remember, but boy I learned to stay out of the way when there is a big match- that's all I know about it- was in Copenhagen when there was a big game and everyone boarded up the windows! I was sprayed with all sorts of stuff before I made it back to my safe little hotel. Also, everyone else says Zed instead of Zee - makes it hard when you have a product that starts with Z...

Dark_Shades
07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
lolol Purples..... yikes that sounds a bit scary!
It was the World Cup (Football) last year whilst we were away in France... we would go to the club house each night to watch the matches - we were quite bewildered as other nationalities would sit there politely clapping when each side did something good....... um, shall we just say we educated them on how to cheer on in a football match properly lolol :rolleyes: ;) :)
Was great fun, brilliant night....... but you know what, they brought out Plastic Cups when England played :mad: .... what a cheek! :eek: :p :D Ha!

Now DO I look like a Vandal .... ha ha ..... might Monkey around a bit :evil: :D :p :angel: :cool: :)

Kitty Wallis
07-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Congrats to the UK! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This should change things around a bit over there. Keep us posted on the realities of living with the preparations.

Bringer
07-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi Purples,

Yes I mean «soccer» . I must say that I say zee and not zed, altough I've learned zed. But I do say colour :rolleyes:

Regards,

José

HarvestMoon
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Yes, well I was accused of perverting someones kids as they read a storybook- and he said Zeeebra instead of Zedbra... well hope all the preps go well, and wish I was there!!! Actually, I ALWAYS would prefer to be in London!

Merethe T
07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Congrats to you, it's exciting isn't it? :clap:

Guess it won't scare you too much if I said we'll fight you in those football matches....?! :rolleyes: :D :wink2:

Kathryn Wilson
07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Congrats to you Brits! It will be an exciting time - I love to watch the Olympics and enjoy most of the sports. I only wish the tv coverage was better on some of the equestrian events and the lesser known sports.

Paula Ford
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
That's fantastic Jackie! CONGRATULATIONS!

Paula

angecald
07-07-2005, 02:26 AM
CONGRATULATIONS to London!

jackiesimmonds
07-07-2005, 03:21 AM
Congrats to you Brits! It will be an exciting time - I love to watch the Olympics and enjoy most of the sports. I only wish the tv coverage was better on some of the equestrian events and the lesser known sports.

I agree about the lesser-known sports - I like to watch some of the more odd-ball events. We get lots of coverage of the equestrian events tho....hmm. I wonder why you don't ger them. I love to watch the Olympics on TV too, and was rather shocked when I was in the US last year in a friend's house, and we tried to watch the games on TV. I found the coverage to be most odd - they only showed what the US and Canadian teams were up to, and only showed their award ceremonies! It was very disappointing for someone NOT resident in the USA.

Over here, our TV teams cover almost every event, and we see all nationalities competing, and watch all the award ceremonies no matter who wins!!

I realise it might be difficult to cover the entire games because there are always things coinciding and a TV programme can only show one event at a time ... but having had the chance to compare the coverage, I can tell you that unless I managed not to find the right TV channels (perhaps my friend did not have all the sports channels on her package), I found the US coverage to be sadly lacking. Someone - please tell me I am wrong - I hate to think that audiences over there are only interested in US events, and yet that is how I ended up feeling!!! I am sure this isn't the case really.

HarvestMoon
07-07-2005, 04:29 AM
I always hate the American coverage of the events- they generally focus only on Americans- usually have you in tears about all the trials they had to overcome to get there (which I know are true but don't like to then cry again when they lose!). Then you find a neat sport and they cut to something else. I am used to western riding, but english riding is popular here- but just a couple of weeks ago learned what judging the horse 'under saddle' really meant. But I would truly like to see how all the countries do- it is after all an INTERNATIONAL event meant to bring the world a bit more together. Well, as they say, we are making enemies faster than we can kill them..... how sad. Now a cool event would be a tube (underground) race- ya really got to run really fast up and down stairs to get the next tube a race across London- going out ASAP. Have about 12 station changes! Wouldn't that be as much fun as lawn bowling? (oops, sorry, I guess you guys like lawn bowling)

jackiesimmonds
07-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Lol!
My dad used to do bowling - it is not a young person's sport over here, but is very popular with the seniors. Is it an Olympic event? I cannot remember seeing any coverage of that.

Well, I thought I wasn't imagining your nationalistic coverage of the games - what a shame for you guys over there. We get such wonderful coverage of everything here, it is a joy to watch.

To bring this back to painting.....I wonder if paintings of athletes, or competitors generally, would be popular. Well, I have seven years before I have to worry about that.

Kathryn Wilson
07-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I just heard about the explosions in London - hope you, Dawn and any other WC member from that area are okay. Let us know, okay????

Cable tv channels covered a lot of the sports 24 hours a day - the main channels did not, they only hit the highlights. It's almost worth buying a subscription to some of those channels to be able to watch 24 hour coverage, although they covered sports I was not interested in during the daylight hours, so anything I wanted to watch was on in the wee hours of the morning. Yawn!

HarvestMoon
07-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh my gosh- I am so sorry for you guys and the explosions- I had not heard of it at all when I posted my tube race idea- my deepest sympathies and apologies for my now very tasteless posting!

Ruth Grinstead
07-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi purples

You weren't to know, I am sure none of us would take offence.

Thankfully me and mine are safe, although my son was due to travel through one of the stations tomorrow - it has been put on hold for a few days now.

I hope no WC'ers or their families are affected by the blasts and my thoughts are with the people and families who are in someway touched.

We Brits are a resilient bunch, I just hope it doesn't generate any kneejerk reactions.

Ruth

Khadres
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
OMG...I hope you guys over there are all okay!!! How AWFUL!!! Please be careful!!!

jackiesimmonds
07-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I cannot speak for anyone else, but me and my family are fine, tho my daughter missed the blast by minutes, I reckon she was on the train in front of one of those that was hit.

What I find extraordinary about all these events - here, in Israel, in New York, in Madrid, etc etc ... is that the people who initiate these atrocities cannot see that they do their cause NO GOOD AT ALL, it is a complete waste of their time. They have no chance at all of changing the world to the way they want it to be, no matter how many deaths they cause. What they do is totally futile and totally evil. If they put their energies into dialogue, and attempted to change things in a humane way, they might stand a chance - this way their actions will only, and surely, result in their own eternal damnation, as all they do is kill and maim innocent victims.

CM Neidhofer
07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh my gosh....my thoughts and prayers to all our British Wet Canvas members, as well as to any and all involved, or nearby. Stay safe everyone.

Christine

Deborah Secor
07-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Dear Lord--I am in shock. I hadn't heard of this till now. Jackie and Ruth, I'm so relieved you and yours are all right! Jackie, what a scare to have your daughter so close. We know you Brits are resilient, as Ruth points out, but DO be careful. It just brings back 9-11 when something like this takes place.

My son is due to fly home to the US from Macedonia tomorrow morning. He has a layover in Frankfurt, and I'm sure all of Europe will have heightened security. I'm grateful he's coming home... and I want him in my arms even more now!

My prayers are with everyone!!

Deborah

Khadres
07-07-2005, 01:31 PM
You are so right, Jackie. Attacks like this just solidify the resolve of the rest of the world AGAINST what these people want. It makes no sense at all and yet they keep doing it. I just hope this is the end of it for Londoners...that city has endured so many attacks from so many sides over the years...I'm sure the city will continue on as it always has, but I hope this is the last of the carnage for a long long time.

Very glad that your daughter is safe!

Paula Ford
07-07-2005, 03:05 PM
OH MY...my thoughts and prayers are with all of you!!
Paula

Dark_Shades
07-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Hello ..... just to let you know that me and mine are all safe and well -
We live just 20 mins outside of London - some of our work colleagues live in London and cant get back home, but our company has laid on coaches and hotel rooms - Our building runs along one of the main line rail tracks into Liverpool Street and the Station itself is at the end of our Car Park - it was closed down this afternoon, as that too has a suspect package - Police cordoned off the area, so of course there are tail backs of traffic and people - One of our Supervisors is trying to drive into London to find her husband, though she knows he's safe, hes now trying to walk home. A Number of friends work in London and have no way back home, so we are trying to find out what they are doing....
Sad News: an ex co worker now working in Cyprus, emailed us to find out if we are all safe as we have part of our Head offices in the Strand in London and have to travel up to the City - informed us that she has heard her aunt has been killed

Whole heartedly agree with what has been said 'Here! Here!
Tough Breed!, been through worse, will just toughen our resolve - that the likes of these COWARDLY Terrorists and others will NEVER Win! - we will carry on as we always have on a daily basis

Merethe T
07-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Awfull news! My thoughts are with all brits, and all british WC members, hope you all are safe!

eyre
07-07-2005, 06:24 PM
My thoughts are with all in London. I was just in London about a month ago, and I am in love with it and the people.

Bringer
07-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry for the explosions, which are bad not only for England but to all of us.
We can no longer think «our country» or «their country» but «our World»
Just for sheer curiosity, my favourite foreign football team is Liverpool.
And of course that my team is the best in the world : Benfica :-)

Regards,

José

HarvestMoon
07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Yes, it truly is one world, one planet, one people, and I pray that someday everyone will realize this in their hearts, and know that any destruction to people, the planet, the animals, hurts all of us in the long run. Knee-jerk reactions to get revenge are the very worst. We all need calm and much thought as to how to best solve things like this. Years ago when I traveled a lot, the Brits were the very BEST at trying to stop terrorism. Anytime a package was abandoned at a tube stop, it was cordoned off and investigated by a bomb squad. I am sure that everyone there did their best job of trying to prevent such a disaster, but sometimes you cannot control everything possible. As to art, I have seen olympic artwork, and it is wonderful to see the determination of the atheletes. Daniel Greene did a 'subway series' (based on NY) but I always thought the London underground was something very artistic and special- and it worked so very well. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones. My love to you London, and all in it.

E-J
07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
So strange and sad to see that patch of London that I know so well (Kings X-Euston-Russell Sq) turned into the scene of such devastation. London will not be cowed into submission by whatever b*stards did this.

Khadres
07-07-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm so glad you checked in E-J and Dawn! And that you are both safe and sound. I didn't know if you worked in London or not. I sure pity all those poor people trying to get out of the city with no transport too. Our hearts go out to all the injured and the families of the dead.

Kathryn Wilson
07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Good for you Dawn, Jackie, E-J and Ruth - those horrible people need to see that life will not be disrupted, but will go on in spite of them. I am so glad all your families are safe and sound.

Dee, I am praying for a safe trip for your son.

Deborah Secor
07-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I love the spirit of the Brits! Yes, life goes on, but some days require more starch, do they not?

Thanks, Kat. I know he's safe. I'm just praying the team comes home swiftly, with no hitches. I miss him!

Jackie, I imagine you're going to want to hug your daughter rather soon, and Ruth, your son...I'd sure want to!

Man, this just brings back 9-11 all over again. :(

Deborah

Nori
07-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Dawn, Jackie, Ruth and E-J I am so glad you and your families are safe. We have some good friends who arrived in London this morning and I as I began to worry about them I immediarely added your names to my concern list.

It's funny how cyber friends and acquaintences can hold as dear a spot as friends you see often.

E-J
07-07-2005, 08:10 PM
I am very touched by the messages of WC members here who have shown such concern for those of us in the UK. I belong to quite a few online forums and the overriding sense there from members in the US seems to be "oh my god it's happened there ... could it happen here??" But the response on WetCanvas seems profoundly different. I suspect I speak for everyone in the UK when I say that I'm really grateful to you all. xx

Paula Ford
07-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Thank God you are all safe...E-J, Dawn, Jackie, Ruth, and your families.

You know, it's so strange that I can find so much to say until something like this happens, and now I can't find the words to tell you how saddened I am that this has happened to you.

Please just know we are all thinking about you and praying for your safety.
Paula

bnoonan
07-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Thank goodness all of you are well and families too! You have all been in my thoughts all day and I'm so relieved to read the strength and spirit you embody. It's so tragic and pointless - especially hearing the Brits talk on the news and discuss how strong they are.

My hats go off to you and I wish you the best in the recovery period.

Barb

rosewood
07-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I just found out about all of this tonight. I have been sick with the flu...haven't watched tv or socialized, so I didn't know.

All I can do is offer my most heartfelt sympathy and my thoughts and prayers to all of you who have been directly or indirectly affected by this tragedy. I wish you all peace and healing both physically and emotionally. Be blessed and safe...and if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. Jaycee

angecald
07-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Jackie, Ruth, Dawn and E-J, I'm so glad to hear you're all safe. It's a terrible event, and I know it will take time to deal with it emotionally even if you haven't lost immediate family members. But there's nothing like the spirit of Londoners in the face of adversity! You have all been making your ancestors proud today. The terrorists will eventually figure out what the rest of the world already knows: London never has bowed to tyrants or terrorists, and never will.

CindyW
07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
We can only take comfort in that the majority of people on earth want to live in peace and we will band together for support, however it is needed.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Cindy

jackiesimmonds
07-08-2005, 03:52 AM
I'd like to echo EJ's thoughts - thank you all for your sweet concern.

This was an awful act, and there were many injured, and who will have difficult recovery and remain traumatised for a long time. Yet, the rest of us will get on with our everyday lives, and the event will pale in our minds, which simply goes to prove that these actions are so very pointless. I visit Israel often, and I am struck always by how the vast majority of Israelis, who face this kind of event on an almost DAILY basis, just get on with their lives. It is impossible to imagine the stress of living with something like this on a daily basis. If I lived in Israel I would have no desire to get on a bus ever , frankly ...but they do partly because they have to but also because they are determined to do so .

Londonders will just get on with their lives in the same way. They aren't exactly "used to" this kind of impact on their lives and minds, but everyone has to rise above random acts of atrocity, or else the terrorists have achieved their aim.

I feel desperately sorry for those who were killed, and for their families ... but I think I feel even sorrier for those who were badly maimed. How ghastly is that.

It is horrible to think that we have, in our midst, such awful, misguided, evil people. I actually believe some people are consumed by evil. I was recently told the horrible story of an arab woman who was very badly burned, apparently in an accident at home. She was taken in to an Israeli hospital, and they looked after her for a year. Eventually, she was totally better - and yet she returned to the hospital with explosives strapped under her jelleba, determined to get to the children's ward to blow herself up and take with her as many children as she could. Thankfully, they managed to stop her in advance ... but one has to ask oneself how come she was so consumed with such evil. It makes me think that perhaps there is a force for evil in the world, and it takes over and lives within some individuals.

J

Dark_Shades
07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
I too would like to add my heartfelt thanks for the raised concerns and emails for the safety of me and mine along with my other UK Cyber buddies - your kindness and thoughts brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye

alot of us still have members of families that survived the second war, we hear their stories and see the news reels and films of that time - it instils in us what they had to endure on a daily basis - the Blitz, bombings on civillians at Major Cities and Ports - they can do it, so can we

Dark_Shades
07-08-2005, 08:38 AM
so ok back to the Olympics

I did have to laugh about the coverage of the olympics by america hee hee.... (had noticed it before)
we seem to have the reverse....... great coverage of all nationalities, but if we are doing well they seem to say,
Britain is going to get first place...(<<< so, Ok I can dream .....right?....) ....
and then pan to the struggle and fight for 3rd and 4th :rolleyes:

Khadres
07-08-2005, 08:39 AM
I cannot imagine what the Blitz must've been like! I read a story once about the men who lived in St. Paul's and spent every night on the dome watching for and putting out fires from the bombs. To have to run to the subway for shelter every night and wonder if your house was still standing must've taken a real toll, especially on the children. I had a friend who was, as a child, one of those shipped out of London to the countryside for most of the war. It's no wonder y'all are a tough breed over there! You could teach us all a lot about courage and determination. My heart goes out to the injured and the families of those lost.

Dark_Shades
07-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Oh dear, we just had an email from our Director sent out to all, that unfortunately we have a female member of Staff missing - no name has been released yet in respect to the members of her family

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2005, 02:09 PM
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Keep us updated!

HarvestMoon
07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Oh, so sorry to hear of your staff member! I was amazed actually that the toll was so relatively low compared to how many explosions and how crowded it was- but yesterday they said that EVERYONE had been gotten out. This morning I heard that there was one train that was hard to get to and there were still several people on it. I am sure it was all so horrible and confusing.

One of my British friends would always grab my arm and MOVE me past an embassy in London FAST. She said they tend to go bang a lot. I cannot imagine the tension of living where there is constant fear- I was in a S. American country when they were about to riot- for only one week I was there- the riots started just as my plane took off- but all the tension and people with machine guns had me really gasping with relief as I took off. I always felt very safe in London, and most European cities, I would never dream of wandering around a large US city by myself at night on foot.

Whether a terrorist or a criminal- I am like Jackie in that I cannot fathom why someone would want to hurt, kill, or rob from people that they do not even know and who have never done anything to hurt them. It is almost impossible to deal with issues of hate- I think in America we have come a long way since my grandfather's days- as far as a lot of racial inequality goes. Sometimes it takes many generations to see much progress made. I know you guys are brave beyond measure, but tension takes a huge toll. It will take a long time before people don't think of this when they take the underground or a bus.

I like Daniel Greene's subway pictures, and wished he had done them in London as well as NY. I truly loved the London underground- thought it was so neat and well planned- we don't even have decent train service here- just keep building more and more roads...

Please let us know if there is a relief fund or something to contribute to.....

I am sure you will do much better in the next olympics because you will have the 'home crowd' to cheer you on !!!! Are those 'action' books still in print? Of people running, etc.? would make great reference material! I am glad you got the summer olympics- just can't imagine a tabagon run through Green Park- or importing a lot of snow from your buddies in Norway...

jackiesimmonds
07-09-2005, 03:21 AM
yesterday they said that EVERYONE had been gotten out.

sorry, I was planning to leave this thread alone now, enough of bad news, but I cannot let this comment pass by as sadly this is a dreadful bit of misinformation. We still do not have full numbers. There were pictures in the newspapers today of quite a few people who are "missing" - which is another way of saying "blown to bits" or "dead under debris". There are 50 known dead, and over 700 injured, many of those critical, with terrible burns and limbs missing. There were heartbreaking stories in last night's papers, the worst was a report of a girl seen with all her limbs blown off and terrible facial burns and chest injuries. The witness thougth she was dead, and then she opened her eyes and asked for help.....this is just too ghastly for words. I dont think I will easily get rid of this mental image. Those people who were hit by bits of flying glass, and yet walked away, were the lucky ones. There are still bodies in one of the trains, which is deep underground and it is difficult to extricate the bodies. My horrible suspicion is that we will keep on hearing bad news for days, as they gradually dismantle the debris of that train. Some of those "missing" are almost certainly down there. One father apparently spoke to his daughter on her cell phone at 9.45 - she had just escaped from the Kings X train bomb, and was about to catch a bus into work. She has never been seen since. These kinds of stories are almost too much to bear, if one imagines oneself in the shoes of that father, for instance.

Londoners may not have been cowed by this - after all there are 11 million of us - but we are all touched by it. I feel nothing but contempt for the horrible, sick statement on a website which said this was a "blessed" act perpetrated by "heroic mujhadeen". This was nothing but unadulterated evil .

Paula Ford
07-09-2005, 12:49 PM
:crying: :crying: :crying: My heart is crying for you and your country Jackie. I pray everyday for all of the evil people in this world to be killed off so that we may all live in peace. Yes, killed off. I am so angry I just want them to be tortured like they have done to us. Maybe that is wrong of me to think that way, but I can't help it. It is not in my nature to hate, but I do hate these evil people.

meowmeow
07-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Such wonderful news and then such horrible news immediately following! It really spoiled the excitement over the Olympics.
WEll, I am glad to know you and your families are safe, Dawn and Jackie (although it sounds like a close call in Jackie's case!)...I agree with the sentiment that these actions ultimately do not accomplish what they set out to do. Yes, there is a lot of injustice in the world but it will not be resolved by killing innocent people.

Sandy

Deborah Secor
07-09-2005, 01:10 PM
In the Bible the Lord tells us that he will heal the brokenhearted, set free the captives, and comfort all who mourn, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; I know how painful evil is, but don't let feelings (shallow reasons for anything) be the motivation of your heart. I fear that's what those who perpetrated such evil have fallen to... Instead I think we must pray for God's righteousness, whether here or in eternity, and for his mercy on us and (here's the really hard part) on those who are evil. It's humanly impossible to love our enemies. Impossible. Only God can do that, and only he can put such love in my heart. I'm asking for that. Evil burns too easily in my heart. I pray for the peace only he can bring.

We had three teenage boys murdered in cold blood on our street six years ago. The crime goes unsolved to this day. Frequently when I pass the memorial stone set up for these young men, who had just graduated from high school and were on their way home from a party in our neighborhood when someone stopped their car and sprayed gunfire over them, I pray for righteousness and mercy for all involved. My heart breaks again, but I know God is holy and I trust him.

I'm in prayer daily for those in London who are in pain, who burn with anger, raging at what has happened--for the deep, abiding peace that can come. Shalom.

Deborah

Ruth Grinstead
07-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Thank you all for your concerns, it is amazing the way that friendships made at WC seem to shrink the world. I am now thinking about you as the coverage of hurricane Dennis hit our TV screens.

I feel very selfish at the moment as I am so relieved that my husband no longer drives a bus in London, although he is still vulnerable.

Ruth

HarvestMoon
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Ruth, that is not selfish at all- nobody wants someone they love to be at risk. As we watched the 2nd American Airlines airplane slam into the twin towers on TV that horrible morning, a good friend whose husband flies for Continental airlines said- thank God it wasn't Continental...

there will always be evil people in the world, but judging who is evil and killing them does not make us any less savage for killing in return. we need to try to send from our hearts messages of peace, healing, and love. this is extremely hard to do- I have had my share of evil done to me- real, true, evil, and being angry and fearful, wanting revenge in return kept me in meltdown mode for years. only after I learned to forgive and not try any longer to figure out WHY this stuff happened to me did I start to get better.

Dark_Shades
07-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I think the World and Society we live in today, unfortunately and sadly leaves us ALL Vunerable and open to attack from some Weirdo, Whacko, Sicko - the probability of anything happening increases with where we live/frequent/visit

Terrorists havent the convictions of their beliefs or faith - their acts are done in Cowardice!
No Balls!! - Spineless Wonders!!

Dark_Shades
07-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Im back again :)
roaming around WC forums and came across this article that someone had posted

I thought it very good and wanted to share it with you all

Re: Explosions Rock London - Work of Terrorists?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/08/o....html?th&emc=th

"If It's a Muslim Problem, It Needs a Muslim Solution
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Published: July 8, 2005
Yesterday's bombings in downtown London are profoundly disturbing. In part, that is because a bombing in our mother country and closest ally, England, is almost like a bombing in our own country. In part, it's because one assault may have involved a suicide bomber, bringing this terrible jihadist weapon into the heart of a major Western capital. That would be deeply troubling because open societies depend on trust - on trusting that the person sitting next to you on the bus or subway is not wearing dynamite.

The attacks are also deeply disturbing because when jihadist bombers take their madness into the heart of our open societies, our societies are never again quite as open. Indeed, we all just lost a little freedom yesterday.

But maybe the most important aspect of the London bombings is this: When jihadist-style bombings happen in Riyadh, that is a Muslim-Muslim problem. That is a police problem for Saudi Arabia. But when Al-Qaeda-like bombings come to the London Underground, that becomes a civilizational problem. Every Muslim living in a Western society suddenly becomes a suspect, becomes a potential walking bomb. And when that happens, it means Western countries are going to be tempted to crack down even harder on their own Muslim populations.

That, too, is deeply troubling. The more Western societies - particularly the big European societies, which have much larger Muslim populations than America - look on their own Muslims with suspicion, the more internal tensions this creates, and the more alienated their already alienated Muslim youth become. This is exactly what Osama bin Laden dreamed of with 9/11: to create a great gulf between the Muslim world and the globalizing West.

So this is a critical moment. We must do all we can to limit the civilizational fallout from this bombing. But this is not going to be easy. Why? Because unlike after 9/11, there is no obvious, easy target to retaliate against for bombings like those in London. There are no obvious terrorist headquarters and training camps in Afghanistan that we can hit with cruise missiles. The Al Qaeda threat has metastasized and become franchised. It is no longer vertical, something that we can punch in the face. It is now horizontal, flat and widely distributed, operating through the Internet and tiny cells.

Because there is no obvious target to retaliate against, and because there are not enough police to police every opening in an open society, either the Muslim world begins to really restrain, inhibit and denounce its own extremists - if it turns out that they are behind the London bombings - or the West is going to do it for them. And the West will do it in a rough, crude way - by simply shutting them out, denying them visas and making every Muslim in its midst guilty until proven innocent.

And because I think that would be a disaster, it is essential that the Muslim world wake up to the fact that it has a jihadist death cult in its midst. If it does not fight that death cult, that cancer, within its own body politic, it is going to infect Muslim-Western relations everywhere. Only the Muslim world can root out that death cult. It takes a village.

What do I mean? I mean that the greatest restraint on human behavior is never a policeman or a border guard. The greatest restraint on human behavior is what a culture and a religion deem shameful. It is what the village and its religious and political elders say is wrong or not allowed. Many people said Palestinian suicide bombing was the spontaneous reaction of frustrated Palestinian youth. But when Palestinians decided that it was in their interest to have a cease-fire with Israel, those bombings stopped cold. The village said enough was enough.

The Muslim village has been derelict in condemning the madness of jihadist attacks. When Salman Rushdie wrote a controversial novel involving the prophet Muhammad, he was sentenced to death by the leader of Iran. To this day - to this day - no major Muslim cleric or religious body has ever issued a fatwa condemning Osama bin Laden.

Some Muslim leaders have taken up this challenge. This past week in Jordan, King Abdullah II hosted an impressive conference in Amman for moderate Muslim thinkers and clerics who want to take back their faith from those who have tried to hijack it. But this has to go further and wider.

The double-decker buses of London and the subways of Paris, as well as the covered markets of Riyadh, Bali and Cairo, will never be secure as long as the Muslim village and elders do not take on, delegitimize, condemn and isolate the extremists in their midst."

Khadres
07-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Not selfish at all, Ruth! I know I'm just glad none of y'all seem to be downtown London workers on days like this! It's not that I wish ill for those who WERE there, but I'm still glad none of those I care about were amongst them! I think that is normal.

At the moment, it looks like Hurricane Dennis is dying down a little...let's keep our fingers crossed. Too bad all that rain can't swoop over the parched parts of Texas and New Mexico!

scall0way
07-09-2005, 09:41 PM
I have not been on WC for a few days, but I certainly have been following the tragic news in London. It is an awful thing to have happened, and following right on the happy news of the Olympics as well. :(

I'm so impressed with the wonderful spirit of the people of London. But certainly my thoughts and prayers are with those who lost family members, or who are seriously injured.

Debbie C.

jackiesimmonds
07-10-2005, 05:14 AM
interesting article, DS, tho I fear slightly misguided and unrealistic. The fact that the palestinian bombings have lessened is, I fear, less to do with "village mentality" as to do with the fact that the new "wall" -and all its attendant security features - makes it harder for a random bomber, and also coinciding with the building of the wall, the Israeli Defence Forces have stepped up vigilance to a huge degree.

I doubt that anything muslim leaders have to say, would make very much difference to the mind-set of those who feel that the creation of death and destruction in the hated western world is the only way . Unfortunately, these people have little time for those in authority who wish to maintain any level of peace.

having said all this, of course it would be good to see and hear Muslim leaders condemning the likes of Osama Bin Laden properly. Unfortunately, muslim states are all quite independant of each other, they have no wish to "come together", they look after themselves and their own interests, and |I suspect they probably do not wish to incur the wrath of these extremists themselves!

The village mentality idea is a nice one, but, I fear, it does not reflect the reality of the fragmented and separatist nature of muslim societies.

sadly. we live in a world where there will always be people with extraordinarily extremist ideas who believe that death, destruction and the fear this brings, is the best way to disrupt western society. We are not even talking about ignorant individuals who have been brainwashed - some of these people are highly intelligent and well educated. Somehow, somewhere along the line, their ideas have become twisted, bitter, and entrenched, and there is going to be no changing their mind-sets with fatwahs and recriminations from their "leaders". They care nothing for anyone else's ideas and rules. All we, the victims of their warped ideas, can do, is step up OUR vigilance and pray for sanity to return to the world.

Katherine T
07-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Yesterday I spent some time getting out pastel paintings I'd done in the past and realising that I'd like to post some of them in the Pastel Forum - in which I lurk quite a bit and post from time to time (with most of my contributions within WC being on the Coloured Pencil Forum).

So I came across to read about what all of you have been getting up to and came across this post.

What a week!

I live in the East End of London. I look at the Canary Wharf tower from my kitchen window - my home was rocked by the explosion which occurred there a few years back. The site of the Olympic stadium will be just over a mile east to the east of me, if I want to watch the athletics I'll be able to walk there. Aldgate - where the train was headed which was bombed after leaving Liverpool Street is just over a mile to the west of my home. On Thursday, I was driving to work in North London when all the bombs went off. Fortunately the route I use goes north and then west and I had no idea anything was happening until I reached work and heard about all the difficulties people had getting into work.

And then we had to work out what to do about getting everybody home given that all the mainline stations were closed initially, the tube system shut down, and then after the bus explosion, all the buses were abandoned wherever they were on the road until they could be checked out - and we were all advised to stay at work as this was the safest place for people to be. And the mobile phone system goes down due to overload. And you remember sitting in the emergency planning meeting where we identified that was bound to happen early. Then we had the e-mail from the Chief Executive asking everybody to curtail use of all phones and e-mails so that the systems can be used by those that need essential access. And then access to the Internet becomes very difficult as it's the only way people can find out what is going on - and what's a feasible way of getting home. And by mid afternoon, Inner North London looked like some gigantic route march as everybody started walking home or to whichever mainline station had opened up again. Hordes and hordes of people all walking - some for three and four hours. It's why some women always keep a pair of flat shoes at work.

And the way you cope, when living and working in the middle of London, is that you focus on the practical and you don't look at pictures too much and you don't identify with the individuals at all - and you remember to phone your mother when you get in as she of course assumes you were right in the middle of it - as she always does everytime a bomb goes off in London - as they have done for years. She once spent a dreadful Saturday just before Christmas, knowing that I had gone Christmas shopping and was proposing to go to Harrods to get her a Christmas pudding - and then the Harrods bomb went off. What she didn't know was that I'd gone shopping somewhere else first and the bomb went off before I could get there but because the transport systems all closed down immediately I then spent about three hours trying to get home again. Coping with near-hysterical mothers on the phone when your feet are killing you is not fun.

I got back home on Thursday afternoon and burst into tears when reading all the posts in the WC coloured pencil forum from all the people who were really anxious to find out what had happened to me - knowing as they did that I live and work in Central London - or rather the bit just outside the Circle Line.

I didn't watch the news much. I looked at some of the pictures on the BBC web site. Seeing what happened to the wall surrounding the British Medical Association - next to where the bus exploded - persuaded me not to look at any more.

Bit it looked like all that emergency planning paid off - the emergency services bit looks like it worked extremely well and I don't think people in London can ever pay too much tribute to the work that people do to make sure that any trauma is met with a prompt response, good organisation and positive results in terms of people's health and wellbeing - or as much as is possible in the context. They've been practising for "the big one" for years. It's been a long time coming.

And life goes on. Or not for some people.

And Friday was very odd. And sirens from emergency vehicles sound different now - or maybe my hearing had just become very sensitive to them.

It's not the closest I've ever been to a bomb. That was when I was working at Enbankment and the IRA decided to launch a rocket into the back garden of 10 Downing Street from a van parked in Whitehall. Now that was a loud bang.

And you don't ever get used to it. But you do keep calm and practical and learn how to cope with it all. I expect there will be more people going to work by bike in future. Just like keeping a flat pair of shoes at work is a good idea.

jackiesimmonds
07-10-2005, 07:08 AM
I was sent an email just now which contained some writing from a UK journalist which relates to my post above. I thought I would share it with you:

"We know very well what the "grievances" of the jihadists are.

The grievance of seeing unveiled women. The grievance of the existence, not of the State of Israel, but of the Jewish people. The grievance of the heresy of democracy, which impedes the imposition of sharia law. The grievance of a work of fiction written by an Indian living in London. The grievance of the existence of black African Muslim farmers, who won't abandon lands in Darfur. The grievance of the existence of homosexuals. The grievance of music, and of most representational art. The grievance of the existence of Hinduism. The grievance of East Timor's liberation from Indonesian rule. All of these have been proclaimed as a licence to kill infidels or apostates, or anyone who just gets in the way.
The grievances listed above are unappeasable, one of many reasons why the jihadists will lose.

They demand the impossible - the cessation of all life in favour of prostration before a totalitarian vision. Plainly, we cannot surrender. There is no one with whom to negotiate, let alone capitulate.

We shall track down those responsible. States that shelter them will know no peace. Communities that shelter them do not take forever to discover their mistake. And their sordid love of death is as nothing compared to our love of London, which we will defend as always, and which will survive this with ease"

HarvestMoon
07-10-2005, 12:21 PM
"And their sordid love of death is as nothing compared to our love of London, which we will defend as always, and which will survive this with ease"

Beautifully said.

Dark_Shades
07-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Katherine T, Im so glad you are safe and sound, had read members asking after you ..... I hadnt actually realised until fairly recently you were British lolol - had it in my head you were american and living in the states :D

Jackie: I honestly believe this to be true .... the only way it will Stop

Because there is no obvious target to retaliate against, and because there are not enough police to police every opening in an open society, either the Muslim world begins to really restrain, inhibit and denounce its own extremists - if it turns out that they are behind the London bombings - or the West is going to do it for them. And the West will do it in a rough, crude way - by simply shutting them out, denying them visas and making every Muslim in its midst guilty until proven innocent.

And because I think that would be a disaster, it is essential that the Muslim world wake up to the fact that it has a jihadist death cult in its midst. If it does not fight that death cult, that cancer, within its own body politic, it is going to infect Muslim-Western relations everywhere. Only the Muslim world can root out that death cult

As always, some one, some where 'Knows Something' - hopefully they are 'shamed' enough into doing something good about it

Dark_Shades
07-11-2005, 08:37 AM
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Keep us updated!

its all very Sad....... today they have released her name - she travelled on the Train to Liverpool St and then on the underground heading for our Offices in the Strand - she has not been heard or seen of since.......

she is due to be Married this September

Kathryn Wilson
07-11-2005, 09:13 AM
How very sad, Dawn. I think the hardest for the family must be not knowing or hearing of what happened to her.

The idea that we begin putting pressure on the groups and leaders of Muslims in our own communities is a good idea - we hear virtually nothing in the news of how they are handling this thing among their own people. Fear of retribution must be great. I do feel terrorists are being sheltered and hidden because of fear of harm to their families. It is time these community leaders stepped up and took responsibility for harboring them.

meowmeow
07-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Dawn, I'm so sorry! I can't imagine what the families are going through right now.

Sandy

Dark_Shades
07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, indeed its hard to think of the rollercoaster emotions they must be going through....

Despite these atrocities - London still celebrated the End of the Second World War (WW2) 60 years - and turned out in their thousands on Sunday

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2005/12116-poppy_drop_058.jpg

E-J
07-11-2005, 03:10 PM
The idea that we begin putting pressure on the groups and leaders of Muslims in our own communities is a good idea - we hear virtually nothing in the news of how they are handling this thing among their own people.

I used to think that, Kat, but thankfully it seems that the Muslim leaders in London are indeed speaking out against this terrorist act - or perhaps we are simply hearing more about what they say now that the British press is making a concerted (and welcome) effort to refer to Londoners of all races and religions in its prayers. It must be very frightening to be a Muslim Londoner and to be at once in danger of a terrorist attack AND under suspicion of being a terrorist, when you are just an ordinary citizen.

Dawn, I hope your company gets some good news of your colleague soon.

Khadres
07-11-2005, 03:23 PM
its all very Sad....... today they have released her name - she travelled on the Train to Liverpool St and then on the underground heading for our Offices in the Strand - she has not been heard or seen of since.......

she is due to be Married this September

We're all hoping and praying that your co-worker turns up safe and sound despite the odds. No one deserves to have their life cut short like that! Still, I'm very glad YOU and all our other Brit friends are safe! The world sure seems a lot smaller since the Internet came into being!

Dark_Shades
07-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Thank you all ....... I fear the odds are set against there being any good news - her name and photo are now added to the Daily's

Its very heart warming and touching to still be receiving emails from my American chat buddies and customers - received one tonight from a Customer in Memphis and said of how we are all in their thoughts and prayers and she went onto say that British Union Jack Flag is in abundance and flying proud

Some comments from the Daily News Papers:

A NATION DEFIANT: Half a million people in the Mall, Central London, yesterday refuse to be intimidated by terrorists

The Archbishop said the London terror strikes had "rekindled" Britain's passion to defend itself and its way of life from attack

Khadres
07-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Yes! The man down at the local British Home Shoppe sold out of Union Jacks the day after the attack...you see them everywhere. I want one, but all I can find right now are the little bitty ones and I want something bigger to hang outside with our American one.

scall0way
07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Gee, I posted on this thread about three days ago, yet now my post seems not to be here! Well, I just had said how sad and sickened I was about the London bombings, such a terrible tragedy on top of the Olympic excitement.

Debbie C.

Dark_Shades
07-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Im feeling rather sick ....... we've just been informed that a guy we had working with us a while ago, who left us to work in London - was on the bus that blew up - we've been told of he's injuries and they are horrendous...... we dont know at this time if he will actually survive

(I keep seeing him smiling and laughing - enjoying himself when we were all out sharing a meal not that long ago)

Kathryn Wilson
07-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Oh, my - more sadness. My heart is heavy this morning with all of the news of people they can't identify and the horrible injuries people will have to live with for the rest of their lives. The two American sisters who survived the blast on their train are here at Duke Hospital in Durham, NC and they are going to do okay, eventually. Broken bones, loss of hearing, schrapnel - the list goes on and on. :( But they have their lives and that is a good thing.

Dark_Shades
07-12-2005, 02:55 PM
some good news (if thats possible) - strong evidence now to suggest that the 4 supect bombers became their own victims and got blown up themselves!

4 less in the world to do further damage or worry about

Dark_Shades
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Ok, I just wanted to update you ..... and this will be the last..

Unfortunately our co-worker was finally named as being one of the victims to die on one of the tubes, and her funeral was last week - One of our Top Directors attended the funeral to represent us all - they have also donated £20,000.00 in a memorial fund for aspiring staff in the field that she had chosen

As for our temp who was on the bus, he is making a steady recovery now, though he will be in hospital for at least 6 months - they have hopefully managed to save he's hand, and he's leg from the knee up :( - under the circumstances he's in remarkable spirits

meowmeow
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm so sorry Dawn, although not at all surprised. Thanks for letting us know.
I'm glad to hear your other co-worker is recovering and doing well...at least as well as can be expected.
What a time this has been!

Sandy

Khadres
07-31-2005, 06:37 PM
This is so sad, Dawn! Please know that all of us world-wide feel this loss and outrage that we ALL have to live under the threat of demons intent on annihilating our way of life. I can't help but admire the British spirit, however. If they thought they would kill your spirit, they definitely missed their mark!

Dark_Shades
07-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Thank you both so much....... it really has touched not only my heart, but that of my Nation to feel the warmth and support coming from the USA, and Globally... and thanks to all the others, whom have reached out

Indeed, the whole thing brings a right big lump to my throat