PDA

View Full Version : Portrait sets - need opinions!

Merethe T
07-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi all!

I'm planning on getting a portrait set, have had several requests for commissions, so I figure I better practice portraits before I take on a commission. I need more colors, and I've considered Unison's 36 set. Would be nice to get some input before I order. I do like hard pastels for my animal portraits, Faber Castell Polychromos is my favourite. But I would like to develop a more painterly style for portraits, and I'm thinking softer pastels might work better for that? What are your favourite brand/colors for portraits?

Thanks! :)

HarvestMoon
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I am hopeless at portraits, but have seen the unison set and know unison is a really great brand. You probably would not go wrong there!

Bringer
07-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi,

What about emailing Daniel Greene and ask ? :-)

Regards,

Josť

P.S. there's even an oil painting set with his name

HarvestMoon
07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Cravia- there is a Daniel Green Unison Portrait set on Jerrys site- 36 colors:
http://jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0068018000000

dstrokes
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Daniel Greene has his own personal selection of pastels by Unison. The ad is on the back cover of June's Pastel Journal. A set of 72 for $239.95. That's the sale price.

ExpressiveAngie
07-05-2005, 09:37 PM
http://www.dakotapastels.com/soft_greatamerican.shtml#
I bought the set of 78 a coupla years ago...never regreted it

Also recommend the set of Terry Ludwigs and a few others but I wont continue :rolleyes:

Merethe T
07-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Thank you all for great tips and links, will check them out! Think I'll go for the Unison set for starters, but I've heard so much about GA's now,really would like to try them aswell.... ;) Not sure if they're very smooth thow, feel that I have more control with the harder ones. But might just be because I'm not experienced enough to loosen up the strokes...

HarvestMoon
07-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Cravia,
The GA's are extremely soft and very smooth. You can't go wrong with either set.

Merethe T
07-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Hm, what to choose, what to choose.... ;) I've decided I'll go for the Unisons now, cause I really want the dark set aswell, so I'll just order them both from Jacksons (good prices!) I really want to try both the hard and the soft GA's - I'm checking different stores every day to see if someone have them - I think I'm going to order a set of each of them too.... (Hi, my name is Merethe and I'm a pastel addict....) :)

Btw - does anyone have a lin to Daniel Greens work? I googeled him but didn't get any hits, would like to see his work...

Mike_Beeman
07-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Cravia,
The sets by Ludwig and Great American are certainly worth looking into.

khourianya
07-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Btw - does anyone have a lin to Daniel Greens work? I googeled him but didn't get any hits, would like to see his work...

This is Daniel Greene's website - I had to google Daniel E. Greene to get it.
http://www.danielgreeneartist.com/

He was also the cover artist of a recent issue of Pastel Journal.

Merethe T
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Cori - Thank you for the link - I didn't know his work, but wow - he really is a master, brilliant work!

I don't get tha Pastel Journal, but I see a lot of people here talk about it, so it might be worth subscribing? If they accept foreign subscribers that is, I'm gonna look into that aswell.