PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Oil Pastelist and WC'ist

goahead
07-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi. :wave:
I have been fumbling about in this forum for a while now, trying to learn as much as I could about oil pastels and I decided to take the plunge and but myself some sennelier oil pastels and I am very glad that I did.
These little sticks are great, so soft, so colourfull, I love them. Makes me wish that I should have bought them earlier.
I was so happy that I went down to my local art shop and picked up 6 mega huge pastels.
I didnt quite finnish this piece as it was mainly an exercise in seeing what I could or could not do with them. I used some oil paper theat i had lying around and played for a while with them. I especially like the way you can scumble with them and the way you can vary the amount of colour that you lay on by adjusting the amount of pressure you place on the pastels.
ANyway, enough of my yapping, off to read more on these little sticks, gonna have a ball with them I think.

8x10 sennelier pastels on oil paper.

CM Neidhofer
07-05-2005, 02:19 PM
I would say..."excellent" for a first attempt!! :clap:

Christine

CarlyHardy
07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi Goahead! and welcome to the OP Studio!!

I really like the start you've made with the bell pepper. Great color and good form! Looking forward to seeing how you complete this one.

I love my Sennelier's...they are my favorites!
carly

naturegirl
07-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Really beautiful first attempt! You should definitely continue with OPs -- the medium seems to agree with you! I love the three-dimensionality you were able to portray, and love the free painterly quality. Senneliers are great fun, aren't they?!

Jen

stonewhiteclown
07-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum! You did great with that pepper, I like it! If you're inclined to quickies you can post lots into weekly thread :D
What is oil paper? Is it Sennelier oil pastel paper?

ColorMyWorld
07-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Welcome.

Wow, this is great! And the use of color is absolutely luscious!

Senneliers are my favorite too.

Lori Andrews
07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Too funny, I just posted last night that I was a newbie, and I too painted some bell peppers.. Yours looks fantastic.. It looks like your using dry ones though no?? I know nothing about pastels, but I must say you've done a fine job, would like to see you do more... Will be watching.
From another newbie.. :) :wave: