PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Brands

Joenell
05-05-2000, 03:14 PM
I saw a gumbacher soft pastel and I'm planning to buy it. Is there anyone who knows or uses this brand?

4vincent
05-05-2000, 07:26 PM
I still have some Grumbacher in my pastel"arsenal"; they're not as soft as other brands, but are good for preliminary layins. I don't know if they're still being made, because you don't hear much about them.Still, they're not as hard as Yarkas or Derwent. Some of my favorites are Schminke and Sennelier and Great American; I've yet to try Unison, which are said to be very good. 4vincent

msue
05-05-2000, 09:29 PM
At a pastel demo. the artists stated that Grumbacher pastels were no longer made. She had a few favorite colors she couldn't get and hoarded all she found. Your post specifically mentioned "soft" pastels. Is this something new Grumbacher has introduced to replace the ones they discontinued?

Joenell
05-07-2000, 02:42 PM
4vincent & msue,

Thanks for responding to my quetion?
about the pastel that I'm planning to buy
I just saw it in bargain, maybe it was their old stuff.
also about the brands of soft pastels you've mentiond, (Schminke,Sennelier&Great American) none them are available in our place (as far as all the art supplies stores)

Anyway I still have some questions about the brands available here. There is a brand called Maries, which is made from China. other brands are Venus and Mungyo soft pastel,which is manufactured in square sticks. Is there anyone who uses this brands?

And lastly, does all soft pastels manufactured in round sticks? how do I know the difference between the soft and the hard when they are both in square sticks.

RyderArt
05-07-2000, 09:36 PM
Joenell,
I have seen the mentioned pastels Marie's and Mungyo. Not the Venus though. They are student grade (mostly binder...not a lot of good pigment) pastels. All are very inexpensive. Although I have not used them, I am assuming they are quite "hard" being in square sticks. That's seems to be the norm for pastels produced in squares.
You can get mail ordered supplies throught the internet..from various sites. You can also get small introductory sets at fairly reasonable prices. If you serious about pastel painting, I would advise buying the best you can afford. You will find it much easier to work with.
Sennelier, Unison and Schminke are quite expensive..but have the feel of butter...wonderful to work with. I use mostly rembrants at this time, as that is what is readily available to me here. I have a small intro set of Sennelier...and only use to highlight the finished painting. They would be great for the entire paintings...but don't have enough of them!!! I also bought a large set of Yarka's..."soft" pastels...but don't find the to be as soft as Rembrant.
With the hard pastels, you will use up the tooth of the paper quite rapidly and they aren't easy to built layers with. If the area is overworked, you can get shiny areas that will refuse to take any more color. (This is caused, I believe, from the excess of binders used)
So it really depends on what your intentions are in regards to pastel, as to what you buy.

Stephanie

[This message has been edited by RyderArt (edited May 07, 2000).]

4vincent
05-11-2000, 02:44 PM
I agree with Stephanie about Rembrandts. They're a good mid-range pastel. I have some Grumbachers in both square and round (probably older) ones. Their consistencies change from color to color, but still not bad for the money. They also come in half stick intro pkgs for landscape and portrait work for beginning pastelists. Also, for the money, Nupastels are't bad for the money as starters; you can get a 96 piece set for about fifty dollars. As I said,my arrangement varies from Rowneys, to all of the others. I even have a OLD set of pastels made by Devoe (go figure!) Can't remember where I got these. Sennelier's are nice, but so crumbly that they fall apart easily; I do like them in their half stick assortment though. Good luck in your work. 4vincent

pdavis
06-08-2000, 06:01 PM
I prefer the Grumbachers to the Rembrandts, when I can find them. I think they're softer, and I actually like the rectangular sticks. I've been hoarding them for a while, and I'm always on the lookout for other ones.

Roan
07-14-2000, 02:17 PM
Dick Blick (www.dickblick.com) has Grumbacher half sticks - 30 colors - in an intro set, portrait set and landscape set. They're .. lessee... $34.99. Good gracious.

Here:
ASW Express (www.aswexpress.com) 29.57

From what I understand, Grumbacher is no longer producing full sticks, but only half-sticks.

------------------
Mar sin leibh an-drāsda,

Roan

Arnold vd W
07-23-2000, 03:08 PM
Hi
Comment on Rowney pastels please. I'd like to hear your advice as I'm starting out on this wonderful "newfound creative side" of me.

4vincent
07-24-2000, 06:46 AM
I have some Rowney's; they're softer than the Rembrandts, but are smaller sticks. I like their feel okay, but they have different names for their colors (i.e. Poppy Red);being from England, I suppose..eh what?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

Roan
07-24-2000, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Arnold vd W:
Hi
Comment on Rowney pastels please. I'd like to hear your advice as I'm starting out on this wonderful "newfound creative side" of me.

I love Rowney and use them a lot for small, tight areas. Because they are so thin they break *very* easily tho.

They're softer than some of the others as well, but when working on soft surfaces (suede matboard, velour) I've found a few pieces of grit here and there.

I find that they are also rather expensive when you consider volumn and weight to price.

Hugs!

------------------
Mar sin leibh an-drāsda,

Roan

colinbarclay
07-25-2000, 02:37 AM
I think grumbacher is only putting out half sticks in sets now - thats what a buyer at Pearl told me anyhow ...