PDA

View Full Version : Exchange idea: Exquisite Corpse

TikiTorch
07-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I was looking through some stacks of old prints for the informal print exchange and came across a print from an Exquisite Corpse exchange that I participated in a while ago. Thought I would post it and see if there was any interest in that type of exchange here on the forum. Not printed very well but it's the only image I have from the project for some reason.

The logistics of an exchange would probably require that one person be printer for three people or something like that...

I was thinking of using unmounted linoleum as a matrix because of low cost and also the popularity of the medium but we could use something else.

If anyone is not familiar with the idea of the exquisite corpse here is a general explanation as I know it:
It started out as an exercise in creativity with words where one person would write a word and fold the paper to conceal the word and then pass to the next person to write a word and so on, finally making some sort of sentence... The original Surrealists adapted the concept to drawing and would draw on the top third of the paper leaving two points exposed to indicate where the second part of the drawing should meet the first, fold it over and pass it along, and then again to the third artist. If any of this description is incorrect feel free to chime in with corrections or additions. I'm just working from memory...

It's a nice project for printmaking because there is no way to really peek and it's great to see the final image for the first time as it comes off the press.

So if enough are interested we could have a decent exchange. Three artists for each print and every artist gets a print from each group. I would think we would need at least 15 artists to make a decent exchange. So what do you think? It may be something that we don't print until fall when folks have more free time to devote to a project like this. Please post any ideas or suggestions. If there is not enough interest we can bring it up again at a later date.

Lee

muwahaha
07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Definately interested.
It looks like from your picture that there may have been a standard set of points.
Something like print size of 9x9 with body of subject overlapping edge at from inch 3 to inch 6 along the appropriate side/s.
Then you just need to know if you are carving top,middle,bottom, or left,center,right.
You may want something standard like that for everyone in the project, so there can't be any miscomunication as might happen if too many people are left up to coordinate with each other independantly.
If it is standard for the project someone can more easily fill in as well if someone were to drop.
I also like the idea of one person printing the set. I have seen some where they are fit together after, and I feel that removes the impact of the exquisite corpse idea.
I would also suggest the pieces be signed in the block (something small) so you have a record of who all made which print.

Ivan

H2O_Baby
07-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I was looking through some stacks of old prints for the informal print exchange and came across a print from an Exquisite Corpse exchange that I participated in a while ago. Thought I would post it and see if there was any interest in that type of exchange here on the forum. Not printed very well but it's the only image I have from the project for some reason.

Lee

I'd love to be in on it Lee. What medium would you choose? Or could the EC's be mixed media? How do you decide who goes first in each group?

TikiTorch
07-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Yes we would need to agree to standard points for the images to interlock. I was thinking of a square block also but I had in mind 3" x 3" so that shipping would be inexpensive, then you could still use the center inch for the points where the images meet...but for all of the work of the project we could go with larger blocks. Good idea Ivan about the signature in the block. I hadn't thought about the extra mailing for the signatures on the prints.

H2O_Baby.. I had thought of using unmounted linoleum in order to get more printmakers involved. Mixed media might be difficult to print. Drypoint or other intaglio methods on standard zinc plate would be another option if the group wanted. I'm not sure how many group members have access to chemicals and tools for working zinc plates. What did you have in mind? Oh yeah, I guess the three in each group could decide who wants to do top, middle, etc., or left, center, right. Or a random draw...

One person printing would be best, I agree. If enough time passes before we are finished working the blocks or plates I could print them. As of yet I do not have a worthy press but that will be changing soon. Otherwise another volunteer to print would be ok with me. We'll have to see how many more take an interest. At this point we can make one complete EC print!

Diane Cutter
07-06-2005, 02:34 PM
If this is explained clearly, I would love to participate. It sounds like an interesting challenge...

Diane

muwahaha
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I agree that the 9x9 would be too large to be easy (shipping and printing a 9x27), but I think 3x3 may be a little limiting. How about a 3x6 with the join along the 6" side with the center two inches where the images meet. This would result in a total print of 6x9.

Whatever you come up with as the final project dimensions, it sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

zardoz
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
lets see if I understand this so far . each person caves a 3x6 image given a starting and finishing point get them to the printer and he /she puts the thee images together and prints an edition?

TikiTorch
07-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Ivan.. 3x6 with the center two inches sounds like a good idea.

Zardoz.. yes, you are correct. Usually each person knows if they are doing top, middle, or bottom. Images tend to be figural but any particular part doesn't need to be. Check out these links for examples. I noticed with some of these that there are additional joining points in the center so that arms(?) can be continuous from one print to another. The first link has some really beautiful etchings.. and the second has additional info. I think we could make it work with linoleum at 3 x 6, but again, we could go with intaglio if enough are interested.

http://www.paragonpress.co.uk/page%202%20chapman.htm

http://www.doddsnet.com/Tanguy/Menil_2001/Pamphlets/Corpse/Default.htm

Lee

zardoz
07-07-2005, 09:16 AM
I would be interested in trying this as long as I don't print. until I get a press and some good inks I think my printing may be retricted to monotypes for awhile

Sunfilly
07-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh I love corpses. I have been doing digital ones for years. I would be interested for sure, but can not start until later as I am moving across country in Aug. I'm not able to print but I can help with the organizing if you want.

See here some of my corpses.
Corpse One (http://anexquisitecorpse.net/cadavre-exquise/crypt/000036.shtml)
corpse two (http://anexquisitecorpse.net/cadavre-exquise/crypt/000076.shtml)
corpse three (http://anexquisitecorpse.net/cadavre-exquise/crypt/000128.shtml)

Also on EBSQ we had a group called the Digital Underwear Society we did corpses; I put this group together and organized the groups and put the corpses together at the end.
See here. We did anatomical corpse and free form corpses. click on portfolio to see the corpses.
http://www.ebsqart.com/Artists/cmd_659_profile.htm

We did the body in four sections, head upper torso lower torso and legs.

We did not work simultaneously on the sections, we started at the top then sent the second person on the list a small sliver of what we had done, from the bottom of the piece so they would have something to work off of.

That is the way I heard it worked with drawing corpses the paper would be folded, but a little part would be showing for the next artist to work off of.

We could so something similar like that, the person that does the top of the body would print their piece and cut off a small section off the bottom and e-mail to the next person, so they would have something to work off of and continue on down the line, then where everyone was finished all would send their lino blocks to the printer to be printed up.

P.S. I think lino relief prints would work out better as intaglio may be bothersome to print as the plates have to be beveled to print and will break up the corpse, or only some sides beleved which may not really look that bad, but it will take more work for sure, lino is simplier and easier to print to start out with. I'm not against doing intaglio corpses, that is one of my favorite mediums and would like to try it sometime for sure.

Sunfilly
07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=TikiTorch]
Oh yeah, I guess the three in each group could decide who wants to do top, middle, etc., or left, center, right. Or a random draw...
QUOTE]

for the order of who does what on the corpse it is best for the person who is hosting or organizing the corpse to decide on that, what I did was made sure every time a person got involved with a corpse to rotate the names so each person had a chance to do a different section each time they did a corpse. On the free form ones it was top, middle and bottom. For example Say you did the corpse in three parts, Head, full torso, legs. The first one I did I would be assigned the head, the second one I would get torso, the third one I would get the legs, that way we all would have a chance to do all parts of the body.

[QUOTE=TikiTorch]

H2O_Baby.. I had thought of using unmounted linoleum in order to get more printmakers involved. Mixed media might be difficult to print. Drypoint or other intaglio methods on standard zinc plate would be another option if the group wanted. I'm not sure how many group members have access to chemicals and tools for working zinc plates. What did you have in mind?
QUOTE]

H2O_ Baby I think mixing the mediums would be a pain for printing but if we stay with the same plates (wood, linolium, zinc, acrylic plates etc...) within a corpse it would work. It is something we need to try and work out any kinks.
I would love to try an anatomical zinc corpse. And I would love to do a free form corpse in zinc too.

TikiTorch
07-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Sunfilly,

Your EC's are quite nice. And so rich with color! Have you noticed that text shows up in digital images much more frequently than in hand-worked pictures? So many varieties of text to select from...can be quite interesting, and of course words can carry so much meaning.

You also have some good ideas about segment assignment and exchange. If a few more people show interest I will figure out how to list the project in the formal project section... perhaps by the time everyone is finished working the blocks I will be set up to print and I can do the printing, I rather enjoy the process.

Lee

LetterC
07-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I like the idea and agree, whoever organizes it, should make the decision about size.

Here's how on EC exchange I was in worked an it was interesting to receive.

We each make a complete "corpse" - 3 x 9 and mailed to the organizer, who bound them all and then cut them apart (or maybe we cut them after we received them) into 3 - 3x3 sections (head, torso, legs), then we could flip back and forth making a variety of bodies as we chose. Great fun.

C.

Printmakerguy
07-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I'd be up for it.

I agree- Size wise, the smaller the better for shipping. 3 x 6 sounds good, as it will result in a 9 x 6 image...

3 x 3 could work, although it would be somewhat limited. However, I have done some nice miniature work in Lino, it is amazing what you can get in a small block if you are determined!!

I was playing with a similar idea to propose as a project- more of a 'jigsaw' print like the BarenForum did- I think that diane posted a link to it before. This is about the same idea- Perhaps a bit simpler.

I will offer my time and press, if someone central is needed to print the images, too.

-Andrew

TikiTorch
07-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Great of you to offer your time and press Andrew. Glad you are interested. I'll be figuring out the art project system and how to list the project and then I'll just go ahead and post the project. Any suggestions about how to handle the cost/distribution of the lino and paper and also suggestions about the limits for sign-up end and project end times please post or p.m. me if you will.
Lee

Sunfilly
07-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Sunfilly,

Your EC's are quite nice. And so rich with color! Have you noticed that text shows up in digital images much more frequently than in hand-worked pictures? So many varieties of text to select from...can be quite interesting, and of course words can carry so much meaning.

You also have some good ideas about segment assignment and exchange. If a few more people show interest I will figure out how to list the project in the formal project section... perhaps by the time everyone is finished working the blocks I will be set up to print and I can do the printing, I rather enjoy the process.

Lee

Thanks Lee,
I used a mannequin to divide the anatomical corpse. See here a picture, http://www.beestudios.com/anatomical_corpse.jpg

It seems a lot of text goes into graphical ones, but most of the time I tried to avoid that, graphical people tend to use text a lot. I did do one with a bit of text, but that one never got finished on the anexquisitecorpse site, too many people flaked out, I was one of the serious ones on that site.

Of course since the next person received a bit of the picture we did not have to worry about marks of where the next person should continue, they would just follow the small sample they got. So if the first person who did the head, decided they wanted to take one of the arms and put it on the head, it was OK, because the next person on the list would get a bit of what went before and could continue. You would just have to decide on the size and break it up into how ever many parts for each corpse, then go form there. If you decide to go for 4 parts then you would want to make the height divide evenly by 4, if you do 3 parts then the height would divide evenly into 3 parts, so you may want to choose a width for 3 parts or 4 parts that would seem OK for that height. It would be too bad to constrict the height, maybe we can find a printer who has the capabilities to print a reasonable size picture. It may be long and narrow the picture, unless it is a free form corpse.

I like to follow the traditional method of doing corpses, no one knowing what it will be until the end. I really don't think any collaboration of this sort where every one knows the outcome or has seen too much, before hand is a true corpse.

The whole idea of a corpse is surprising, more like esp, or telepathy in a way, it is amazing how much you can pick up from the person before, to have a common theme, artists are known for having a highly developed sense when it comes to esp and telepathy, I think doing corpses is a good exercise in that. It is so much more proved now adays, when people who have never even met each other can find that common bond.

It has shown so much in free form corpses, there are a lot of corpses I have done with others you have not seen. It is amazing what has come from them, where the first person has put water, but know one knows and each person has put water in their section, we just all know somehow, it is amazing.

And like this one I did http://anexquisitecorpse.net/cadavre-exquise/crypt/000128.shtml

There is no way the next person knew the erotic abstract picture I had submitted, they just got a tiny piece of the botton that did not even inticate what I had done, but every one that followed, seemed to pick up on it.

H2O_Baby
07-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Great of you to offer your time and press Andrew. Glad you are interested. I'll be figuring out the art project system and how to list the project and then I'll just go ahead and post the project. Any suggestions about how to handle the cost/distribution of the lino and paper and also suggestions about the limits for sign-up end and project end times please post or p.m. me if you will.
Lee

Lee: Have you set up the project yet? I don't want to miss it!

TikiTorch
07-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Sorry about the delay. I'm still working on the logistics of the exchange. I'll post in this thread when I have the project officially listed.
Lee