PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 22 - Drawing Animals

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
07-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Basic 101: Class 22

Drawing Animals

Here at Basics 101, we are earnestly trying to cover every drawing subject possible. Someone asked me when this class was going to end and I said that the estimate projection and goal was to reach at least 40 classes. This class has moved faster then I could have imagined and congratulations for its success must go exclusively to you the participants. I have to say that I have been overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and your contributions have been amazing.

OK. Let’s talk about animals. You’ve seen them. You may have one. I have owned 8 cats, two birds, a turtle, a plethora of fish and a Shetland sheepdog. I have to say that the last one has been my favorite because he has turned into a real pal. Animals exist with us and we randomly invade each other’s space. They are furry, furless, slimy, rough, spiky and hairy (read pig for example). They are small, big, bigger, biggest (read elephant for example). Who wouldn’t love to pet a tiger or a bear. We love them but we know that they would, nothing personal, eat us or at the very least severely nip or rip us. We run from them, run to them, love them and eat them. It is a complex relationship that we have with the animal kingdom—a love/food chain, I guess.

You should not have a problem picking out an animal to draw. Did you know that there are over 12,000 plus varieties of animal in the world? I highly recommend that you grab your sketchbook and spend some quality time on your farm or with you pet or go to the zoo and check out the animals that are there. There are many many opportunities to sketch animals. Like children, they are hardly accommodating when it comes to poses so if you want to work from photographs that is certainly ok. But first, let’s simplify the animal body:

Animal Facts:

1. Without legs, neck and head, the bodies of most animals are twice as long as they are high.

2. You can divide an animal in to three basic parts: Forequarters, Belly, and Rear Quarters.

3. Carefully observe the stance of an animal—for example, Bears are pigeon toed. When a dog rids itself o waste its hind feet will splay outward.

4. Hoofed animals tend to be knock-kneed

5. You can also divide the animal head into three parts: The muzzle, the long part of the nose, and the base of the skull.

6. Animals are perfectly symmetrical. Use a centerline when constructing your animal. The head divides perfectly in the middle.

7. When drawing ears you can simplify the process by drawing an oval for the base of the ears.

8. For most animals, the eyes and the ears line up perfectly.

9. When drawing an animal in perspective—draw a cube in perspective, then draw the animal in the cube.

10. Note that animal legs are extremely pliable. They can double up and stretch out.

11. When an animal leaps, the rib cage will elongate into a stretched position.

12. Always break the animal down into basic shapes and then flesh out the rest of the animal. For example, A sphere for the head and two spheres for the body.

Below, I have several demonstrations of animal drawings. You may recognize all or some of them. I hope that these help.

Bailey 1: I think Shelties are beautiful but then again I love dogs-- period. I have worked the eyes and using a dull pencil, I have combined the direction of fur with layers of graphite glazed over the fur in small circular motions to help add texture where needed and to bring in a "approximation" of Baileys actual values.

JayD
07-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Bailey 2. This a portrait of my dog, Bailey. When this one is finished it will be used as an iron on transfer for a shirt which I will be presenting to my daughter I have to fix one of the eyes and finishing the fur markings and the right ear.

Paper: Strathmore Watercolor 140lb
Pencil Alvin 0.3mm mechanical pencil
Dog Model: Shetland Sheep Dog

JayD
07-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Cat1: this is on Stonehenge using 2B PhD Mechanical pencil. It's a C.A.T.
Right now I am laying in the tracks of the fur and establishing basic tones creating a map.
I have added the whiskers to help me in keeping the proportions correct and have continued to work on the fur.

JayD
07-05-2005, 12:04 AM
The Duck: I did this duck sketch in the weekly thread and I had several request to color him, which I had mentioned that I might do. I wanted to maintain the sketch look and not veer into a full cp drawing.

JayD
07-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Cat2: This is a cat that I found in the reference library--it is a work in progress--guidelines have to be removed and values have to be defined and redefined. I am trying to build this layer by layer so it may take some time to complete. The first 6 layers have been sprayed with three coats of fixitive. The background was used with a dull pencil so that the valleys would stand out in the paper. This is done with Monolith graphite pencils (or sticks or something like that) on Strathmore watercolor (140 pound).

JayD
07-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Class Assignment:

Draw an animal—any animal—start with a sketch, post it and then develop it into a finished piece. Remember that animals are all creatures fish and fowl, reptile and mammal. Any animal you want. Above all, have fun!

Reference Links:

If you have not been to the learning center lately you will not have noticed the scurry of activity . Each Guide and Moderator are assembling links dating back on the WC several years. It will be easier for you to locate drawing related links now by subject. Here is my contribution—What else: Animal Links!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280185

Happy Drawing!!!

Cathie Jones
07-05-2005, 12:44 AM
YIPEEEEEEE . . . :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
07-05-2005, 05:52 AM
And only 12,000 to choose from! :D

Being a dog lover-Baily is wonderful JayD-but the duck is adorable as well! :clap: :clap:

Any medium as usual?

Anita Murphy
07-05-2005, 06:19 AM
NO NO NO NO NO - did you do this just to torment me JayD?
But I will be big and brave and have a go.

Spain is seriously hot - in the nineties, great wine, food and beer! :)
Have some time today so I will have a go at drawing my sister's animals.
Hi to all of you!

JayD
07-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi present--oh, that's right you are hanging in Spain on Vacation. It's hot muggy and tropical here in North Carolina==so prehistorically tropical that I had to set dinosaur traps in my kitchen--they are partial to cheese, pretzels and a bowl of beer. What are animials but people with heart and a profound lack of dignity. If you can draw do those wonderful drawings of people then you can do an animal. Dont forget that animals are from sea, air and land--so any that you feel comfortable with.

Judi--yes--any medium but make sure there is a working drawing. :)

Mary Woodul
07-05-2005, 11:07 AM
YIPEEEEEEE . . . :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll second that, this is going to be great fun. JayD, as always your writings are a pleasure to read. Someday I'll tell you about our howler monkey that lived with us for a year. The hard part in this class is going to be which of so many we like, to choose. :D

Anita, how I envy you. Send me some "tapas". Enjoy your stay there. :wave:

Hi Judi and CJ! :wave:

cmwynn
07-05-2005, 11:22 AM
I painted a pelican for the Weekend Drawing Event this weekend that I claim looks like an elderly dachshund - do I have a place to improve or what? But I think I am most attracted to big cats, of all kinds.
Anita - surely you can find a bull there in Spain? That would be appropriate.

JayD
07-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey, connie you can post your "dachsacan" here if you want. Would love to see it!

Fireman's kid
07-05-2005, 11:27 AM
so prehistorically tropical that I had to set dinosaur traps in my kitchen--they are partial to cheese, pretzels and a bowl of beer. What are animials but people with heart and a profound lack of dignity.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2005/22284-27_laughing.gif
Thanks for the laugh JayD!

This lesson has me excited and bummed at the same time! I have been wanting to draw animals and they have been on my list of subjects to try for some months - therefore excitement. The bummed part comes because this week I am going to be busy packing for vacation and next week I will be at the shore away from computer access. (Okay, so I'm not bummed about being at the shore, sitting on the beach, watching the ocean. It's my favorite place to be! But I will miss you guys and your talented drawings.)

I doubt I will have much time for drawing this week, especially because over the weekend I met with my house commission customers and they approved my house drawing, ( :clap: ) so all art time should be put toward painting if I am going to meet my deadline of July 31st. I hope to have time to draw while on vacation but I won't be able to post until I am back.

Anyway, I'll do my best. And I agree with Mary...
The hard part in this class is going to be which of so many we like, to choose. Hi Mary! :wave: Hope the wedding plans are going smoothly. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Hi Anita! Sounds like you are enjoying Spain. Are you sketching at all? Remember how much we all loved CJ's Tahiti sketches...and I've never been to Spain. (hint, hint) :D

Hi CJ! Did you "YIPEEEE!" mean "Yipee, I love drawing animals!" or "Yipeee, I'm done subbing!"? :evil:

Looks like another great class JayD. I love the drawings of Bailey. You have caught the look of faithful companion. And that duck reminds me of the little ducklings I saw when I was sketching. It is so fluffy I want to touch it. :)

Well, I better go unpack and start doing some laundry so I have clean clothes to repack for Saturday. I'd much rather be drawing or painting!!

Fireman's kid
07-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Connie! :wave:

You snuck in while I was typing. I find it hard to believe that your pelican looks like anything other than a pelican. You forget, we've seen your work. :)

StancyMcKatt
07-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Whoo Hoo!! Animals.... One of the few things I confidnet drawing. (Not saying I'm good, just saying I don't have a fear of drawing it. ) Birds, Dogs, Fish.... Umm... Too many Choices :P LOL

Now to figuer out what to draw. :D

Cathie Jones
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2005/22284-27_laughing.gif
Hi CJ! Did you "YIPEEEE!" mean "Yipee, I love drawing animals!" or "Yipeee, I'm done subbing!"? :evil:

BOTH! I love you guys, but you really kept me hopping in the sketching lesson! My whip arm is exausted!!! :evil: And . . . I've been wanting to draw my dogs, so here's my chance. ;)

I'll be gone next week also, but hopefully will be able to check in once in a while, and definitely will have time to draw. We're going to Mammoth in the RV, and taking the dogs. I've signed up for a T-Mobile account so if it works I can check in once or twice from Starbucks to see how everybody's doing.

JayD, have you caught any dinosaurs yet?? I always thought they liked peanut butter, but maybe that's just our desert variety!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/23460-smiley_dragon.gif

mothsailor
07-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Well, I've made it to sunny California...and guess what...it's sunny!! The Stanford campus looks just as beautiful as I remember it. I got to see the fireworks going off over the Bay as the plane came in to land last night! I'm going to check out the Rodin sculpture garden soon. Whoo hooo!

So, now to get sketching some animals. Must be some exotic wildlife around here somewhere (or should I say "someplace" now I'm in the USA).

Those are great drawings, JayD!

Cathie Jones
07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
DAVE! Welcome to California! In addition to 'someplace,' don't forget to use 'kinda' and 'whatever' at the proper moments. Glad you're able to check in and will be on the lookout for wildlife (not the human type, though there's plenty of that in the bay area!!!).
:cat:

Mary Woodul
07-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Connie, I haven't seen your dachshund. I hope you post it.

Stacy, lucky you, I just love the ocean and I live so far away from it. Maybe you can sketch a crab. :evil: Just kidding, I'm trying to make you work on your vacation. :D

JayD, with heat and humidity, I wouldn't want to think of what you can catch with your trap.

As clear as crystal, I'm in the same predicament. I have all these animals sorted out and can't figure out which one I like best.

CJ, have fun you deserve a little vacation, and we want to see your sketches.

Wow, David, you and Anita are good examples of how attached we have all become to JayD's class. Hope you have a wonderful summer in Palo Alto.

JayD the drawings you posted are so good but my favorite is the cat, I love that expressìon that is so typical of them.

I guess I'll go try to at least post a sketch before Saturday catches up with me. :wave:

JayD
07-06-2005, 12:18 AM
CJ--makin dinoburgers even as we speak. Set aside some to make dino tacos for Anita and Mary. I noticed that in the Bay area, the wildlife is on roller skates.

Dave, while you are in Sunny California--dont forget to look for a giant white gloved mouse and dont forget that there are more Hellmouths in california then anywhere in the US.

idcrisis55
07-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Everyone, I went ahead and did the pdfs for classes 20, 21, and 22. Click the links below to download to your computer if you want them :D

Class 20 Caricature - http://www.atreesse.com/BD101/DrawingPDFs/Class20.pdf

Class 21 Sketching - http://www.atreesse.com/BD101/DrawingPDFs/Class21.pdf

Class 22 Animals - http://www.atreesse.com/BD101/DrawingPDFs/Class22.pdf

Haven't had time yet to read or catch up but now I do have more time :D.

Hope all of you in the U.S. had a great 4th of July and for Canadians, Canada Day!

Ann

Judi1957
07-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Ann! :wave:
It is so great to see you! Hope all has been well and glad you are back-you have been missed. :)
Thanks so much for the pdf's!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
07-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I plan to concentrate on a pelican later, will post my dachshund/pelican at that time. For now, I have big cats on my mind. About a week ago, I got the book by Norman Adams and Joe Singer, Drawing Animals. I really like their approach. They have "form sketches" for each type of animal, here the same for both lions and tigers and more. Then there are step by step drawings of some animals, for instance the tiger I did, but not the lion. Then there are other drawings in each group.
I started right away, doing some form sketches, then the lion. I noticed when I was finished that he had a much longer snout than the one in the book. This has me thinking, do animals have different variations this way, as humans do, or are all lions the same proportion in the face?
Last night I did lots more form sketches and the tiger from the step by step pictures. This morning I did the tiger head. The form sketches really helped me, maybe I can find one for a pelican, not in this book. I think of these as more than sketches but not really finished drawings.
I want to paint a tiger, but have lots of legal paperwork from my brother's estate (ugh!) to do first.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/29839-Cat_formsxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/29839-Cat_forms2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/29839-Loion_sketchxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/29839-Tigerxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/29839-Tiger_headxm.jpg

Judi1957
07-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Meow-w-w-w-w-w Connie-those look Gr-r-r-reat!

Not sure about the proportion question, though I am sure they have some Jimmy Durante types :D -like me!

idcrisis55
07-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Judi and Everyone :wave:

Your welcome on the pdfs, anytime :) . If any of you see something that you would like put in that I missed, just let me know.

Connie, enjoyed your sketches. I like how you showed the shapes within the body.

Here is the first cat I drew and posted it last year here in the Drawing & Sketching Forum. I've never corrected it based on the comments received. Hope to learn more in this class before going further with this old drawing.

Later,
Ann

Blah
07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=mlelevier] JayD, as always your writings are a pleasure to read. [QUOTE]

I second that.

And Jay....I find an extra dimension in the set of sketches/drawings of animals that you have now posted. You seem to have captured their personality or mood or whatever. Maybe it is something to do with the postures, or the tilt of their heads. Whatever it is, it is wonderful :clap:

Blah

Blah
07-06-2005, 01:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that your pelican looks like anything other than a pelican. You forget, we've seen your work. :)

Connie...I agree with Stacy, and you have reinforced that belief with all the cool "big cat" sketches that you have posted.

Blah

Blah
07-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Ann...very nice drawing for your first cat drawing :clap: When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was a reference photograph.

And thank you for the pdfs.

Blah

idcrisis55
07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks Blah, I really enjoyed drawing it. Cleo belongs to a friend of mine and I used her reference photo :)

Your welcome on the pdfs too:)

Ann

SILKNSATIN
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
JayD these are beautiful.I see you getting brave more with color. :clap: :clap:
I been working on a few animals for over 2 weeks now.Not done yet.lol

JayD
07-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Bon Bon!!

JayD
07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Connie, I love the cats and I really like the contructionist breakdowns. Very inteeresting. On the last cat, look at him in the mirror--I think you may have some kitty veerage going on there but all look GRRRRRRRRR--reat!!!!! (you have NO idea how long I have been waiting to use that! :clap: :clap:

Ann, we are on a kitty track here--wow! I like the pose and the little paw drooped over the edge. Bailey will do that--positions himself so that his little white forepaws are dropping over the couch.

I AM HOPING....AND EVERYBODY HOPE WITH ME--THAT A CERTAIN SQUIRREL WILL MAKE ITS APPEARANCE HERE REAL SOON!! :evil:

Bon--lets see one from your world--by the way, you are a featured artist over at Jayd's Anima Links!! :evil:

chaffee
07-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks JayD!
Hi folks,
Waaaaay back, when JayD was gathering things to get the 101 classes off to a start, he invited me to be a “guest lecturer” for one of his classes. I was flattered and accepted the challenge. Some of you may remember I posted a drawing of a squirrel that I was going to use as the drawing to talk about. Well, as my text was almost complete, I got a severe case of cold feet and shut the whole thing down on my end, leaving JayD and Gavin out in the cold. No disrespect was meant to anyone, it’s just that a “teaching” or “lecturing” title made me very nervous.
Anyway, with JayD’s blessing, and since you're drawing animals, I’ll post the wip drawings here now and gladly try to answer any questions when I can. Animals were my sole drawing subjects when I began drawing as a hobby in the early 90’s. Although all of the drawings were from ref pics and not real-life, they were still a ton of fun and the subject matter appealed to me.
So here is the first installment of wips for the squirrel, I’ll post the rest immediately after this one.
The ref pic can be found in the WC image library and thanks go to “mustcreate” for making the photo available.
Hope you all enjoy.
Thanks,
Tim

Done on Bristol smooth with a 2B mechanical pencil.

chaffee
07-06-2005, 06:56 PM
some more....

chaffee
07-06-2005, 06:57 PM
and finally.....

Judi1957
07-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Ann, Love the puddy tat! You have drawn him very soft! Excellent!:clap: :clap:

Hi Blah and JayD :wave:

Bon, long lost Bon!-great to have you back! :wave: :wave:

Oh, can we post past drawings for extra credit? :D

Eagles of Vancouver-this past Christmas
Snow leopard-last summer or so

Dall sheep-sketch for this Class.

Judi1957
07-06-2005, 07:06 PM
WoW Tim!
Love the squirrel! I can see why you were asked to step in here with your furry friend-he is fantastic!

cmwynn
07-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Ann - love your pussycat. Something looks funny around the right shoulder, but I don't know enough to say what - and it may be fine.
Chaffee - very inspiring to see all the darks. That is still a weakness for me. The form is so good, I can see why you would need a reference photo for such a frisky animal. Thanks for the WIP.
Judi - A snow lion? What a luxurious tail he has. Altogether an impressive drawing with all the detail, character and foreshortening. I think you could improve the eagles now, after all the experience here, though again, I can see something I don't like, but can't articulate it. I think it might need more light in the dark area, if that makes sense.

jmfletch
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow!!! You guys are setting the bar pretty high!!!

Tim - Thank you for sharing your art and your expertise!!:wave:

I am definitely going to be behind on this class as I have to get finish the portrait in the next couple of weeks. So following Judi's lead here are some animals I did during a pastel phase. :)

Joe

P.S. Judi - the cougar is on newsprint. :D

Judi1957
07-06-2005, 07:32 PM
No Joe-you just put the bar on the top rung-those are all wonderful!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Is the skull total pastel?

jmfletch
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Judi - Yes all four of them are pastel. This was before I discovered CP and of course Graphite!!! My current loves.

Now that we are talking I did some elephants in CP as a request for my sister last summer just before Charlie hit! I'll have to find them... and of course there is the deformed horse I submitted in Lesson 1!:o
Joe

sultry
07-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Hiyas everyone,
Sorry Jay I am way behind, I just finished the bear & unicorn pic, so I am going to post it here along with the first sketches. To give you an idea, the unicorn's head is only 1/3 an inch.
I plan to do a collie portrait next.
Wow its a wonderland of beautiful rendered animals here. :) :clap:
Love the Cats Connie & like how you showed it from the sketch.
Beautiful cat Ann :) so realistic.
Judi I like the eagles and is that a bobcat?
Joe you have beautiful animals in color there.
Tim spectacular squirrel WIP. :clap:

chaffee
07-06-2005, 08:26 PM
It's a cyber zoo, and a long way to go yet! Great work, guys!

Judi, Connie, Joe & Sults - -thanks for the props.

Tim

watercolorchick
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok, I told myself I would participate in the 101 classes, but this is really hard!! Honestly, I have never tried to seriously draw an animal!! But I'm in, because I know I have to get over my fear of drawing animals...and I need practice. So off i go to draw...something...

Judi1957
07-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Watercolorchick :wave: You can do it! :D

Hey All- I just noticed a post in Class 1 that was unattended and the classmember seems to have left. :(
Please do a favor, If you see a post in the older Classes-please stop in and post-I know you all know C & C pretty well or if you just post a greeting is fine too. At least it will get a bump. It was probably an isolated incident but I thought I would ask anyway.
I feel bad about this, but JayD, Sults and myself cannot always be here when the forum is moving quickly. Thanks!

SILKNSATIN
07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Wow when I posted a reply in here it only showed the first page.Hmmm mines been really messed up lately. :crying:
Connie and all of you are doing great and so fast. :clap:
Good to be able to pop in because i miss you all to. :wave:

JayD
07-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Tim is one of my favorite artists on this site-- there exists in Tim a certain tenacity coupled with extreme patience that I wish that I had present in my drawings. Coveting my neighbor's skills--you bet!!! Everyone study his fur demo carefully because this is a real show stopper and dont be afraid to ask questions.

We are all animals--we just have self awareness of our own mortality. I have alway thought that art is our own measure of attempt at imortality--a preservative placed in our hot jar of life. Pieces like his have a certain love or touch much like that of waxing your prize car or carefully protecting that precious doll collection. It's what art is all about.

Tim, Thanks!!!

Jud!--Go cat GO!!!! Love the eagles and the ram sketches are suberb--I am so amazed at how much improvement there has been in everyone here.

Sults--Unicorns count---the last two unicorns liked to stand still and admire each other, you know. They stood SO still that you would think they were stuffed. Noah thought they were hatracks and so he left them off the boat--well because hats had not yet been invented and so the demise of the unicorn.

SILKNSATIN
07-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Thought i'd post a few older pieces I did for now.If thats ok?

JayD
07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey --it works for me!! You can also see these over in jayd's animal links in the learning center! I am in love with that yellow glove, Bon. Very well executed.

Cathie Jones
07-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Bon, as far as I'm concerned, you can post anything, anywhere, anytime! It's always such a pleasure to see your work!!!

Connie, those animal 'frames' are very interesting. They go well with JayD's initial instructions. And I love the lion and tiger, but especially the tiger face.

Joe, your pastels are wonderful!

Sults, if you had posted the bear and unicorn before I missed it - just saw the initial drawing with the bear. :clap:

WCchick, you don't have to start with perfection. Do what you can, post it here, and watch for critique and suggestions - trust me, the help you get will improve your work!!!

Yes, ma'am, Ms Subbie, I will indeed assist in watching the older classes - although my forte is more in the encouragement area than critiqueing!!

Okay, I know I missed at least one person who posted, but I don't remember now - CRS gets worse all the time!!!

Think I'll print the squirrel WIP and see if I can follow it - it's beautiful!! Thanks, Tim.

chaz
07-06-2005, 10:47 PM
good evering every one. great new thread. I hope I can participate, but presently layed up with an inflammed hip and can't sit and draw. Even sitting at the pc is a bit of a chore, however I have browesed the last two pages of posts and what a great bunch of drawings. Ann, your kitty is excellent.

Tim your squirrel is just llike the one that is eating from my bird feeder -- still.

Judi a great series of drawings, The eagles are wonderful. and a great snow leapard to boot.

Sults, a bear and a unicorn. a unique mix.

Bon great birds. are they hawks or falcons?

Nice work on your images Joe. Hope your portrait goes swimmingly.

I also hope I can get back into this before the lesson ends. I hoping for a fast recovery.

In the meantime, here a few of my past efforts at animals

The first is an eraser drawing of an eagle from one of my college level drawing classes. Just smear on charcoal and start erasing. The next three are digital images drawn free hand on the computer. I hope it's ok to post them in this thread. If not delete them. it's ok.

Chuck

Mary Woodul
07-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow, class, I was away all day today and three more pages have been added to the thread and so many spectacular drawings. I wish I could comment on all of them but I just got back from supervising the final preparations for Saturday and I am so tired I'm about to fall asleep in this chair.

Hi :wave: to all of you and JayD, I promise to work on something in the morning and at least post it by evening. :wave:

artdude
07-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Well....here's one that didn't make Jay's list.... :p :evil: :cool:

Charcoal and graphite.....done from a photo I took while visiting the Calgary Zoo a few years back :D

SILKNSATIN
07-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks all.
Hi mary. :wave:
Chuck and murray these are great. :clap:
Chuck 2 are falcons and the middle one is a hawk.
Well here's one i been working off and on now for the past few weeks.
It's an odd size 16x18 done on poster board using ticonderoga colored pencils.Hoping I will have it finished this weekend.

Judi1957
07-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Morning JayD :wave:

Sults :wave: Your bear and unicorn are looking wonderful! :clap:
1/3" high unicorn head! :eek: Wow-that is a lot of detail you have packed in there....I'm still looking close! :wink2:

Hi CJ :wave:

Aww Chaz-Those are great :clap: and I hope your hip feels better soon! :)

Murray-Love the tiger! :clap:

Hi Mary! :wave: Good to see you-didn't think you would be drawing with us this week-but am glad you are-you can probably use a stress reliever.

Bon! What can be said about perfection....that you always achieve! :envy:

Mary Woodul
07-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Good Morning! :D :wave: 5:20am here so maybe I will get a chance to draw something today.

Murray, what a beautiful "cat" and I sure do like the way you combine graphite and charcoal.

Bon, you hawk is going to be outstanding as all of your work and it looks good in the Ticonderoga pencils.

Good morning JayD and Judi, see you all around a little later on. :wave:

Chuck, hope your hip feels better, I get that once in a while and I know how painful it is.

JayD
07-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Murray!!!! ACK!!! I did miss one--Murray had us scouting links at least two years back for the new links in the learning center--now there is a man with a whip!!!

Murray, it looks great--feel free to add it to the animal links list--I cant believe I missed this one...

and speaking of cats-Chaz--the lion and the cat strangely looking are my two favorites--cat number one, the lion, looks like his emerging from from a dreamscape while the second cat has this look of smugness that I really connect with (I used to own 8 cats). I also love that bird--it looks like a griffin.

Bon, that is gorgeous--your stuff is NEVER a disappointment--I guess I will have to draw you a mermaid for your mermaid thread now, eh?

Fireman's kid
07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi all. Haven't caught up on reading this thread, but wanted to post a question.

When I woke up this morning, my husband told me of the terrorist attacks in London. I know Dave is in California, but I think his family isn't joining him until later. For the life of me I can't remember what part of England he is from. I'm praying his family and those of our other WC friends are safe.

JayD, sorry to post off topic here, but thought if anyone knew where Dave was from it would be a fellow 101er.

sultry
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Wow Stacy I did not even think of that... I am not sure where Oxford is but here is a quote from Dave when we had our first Weekly Scribble Thread started...

OK, well I guess I'll introduce myself too. I've only been a member of WC for a month, and I've been drawing for a few months more. I'm 46, and have always wanted to draw, but thought (and often still think) I couldn't. This is at least partly because I was told when I was a child that I had no talent. Art "teachers" when I was young didn't seem to feel any obligation to actually teach their students anything...either you could "do art" or you couldn't! Anyway, now I'm trying again. The good thing about drawing is that even if the end product isn't what you might like it to be, the process of producing it is still enjoyable!
edited to add...
I live in Oxford, and I teach sociology at the university there. It's a lovely place to live, and I'm really lucky to be at a university that gets such clever students. They're so clever and motivated that they don't really need much teaching!

Sorry just went back and saw the added critters
Hey Bon love them I remember them & the new bird looks promising.
Chuck I like all your colorful creatures and great cat.
Murray wow I love the big cat.

Fireman's kid
07-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks Sults!

I googled Oxford and came up with this...
"Oxford lies about 57 miles (90 km) north-west of London."
I hope that means Dave's wife and Sarah are safe.

I did get a chance to read from when I was last on yesterday. So many great posts already! I love them all, but I do think the cats are taking over. :p

Sorry to not comment on each individually. I am finding it a bit hard to concentrate this morning. :( I'm waiting to hear from some friends who live outside of London. They lived near me in the States during 9/11, but moved back to England the next summer. I can't believe they are going through something like this again.

sultry
07-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I googled Oxford and came up with this...
"Oxford lies about 57 miles (90 km) north-west of London."
I hope that means Dave's wife and Sarah are safe.
I 2nd that Stacy

mothsailor
07-07-2005, 09:58 AM
It's nice of you to have been thinking of my family. In fact, my wife was on her way to London today, but her train was stopped before she got there and she was able to get home. So, she's fine, thank goodness.

I hope the same is true of my friends in London; of course it is hard to get news at the moment.

idcrisis55
07-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi Everyone, want to say first that my thoughts and prayers are with all those in London and their families. Dave, hope your family is safe and sound.

Scrolled through the drawings and everyone's work looks wonderful. Thanks too, for the comments on Cleo the cat.

Ann

Judi1957
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
It's nice of you to have been thinking of my family. In fact, my wife was on her way to London today, but her train was stopped before she got there and she was able to get home. So, she's fine, thank goodness.

I hope the same is true of my friends in London; of course it is hard to get news at the moment.

Dave - I am so happy your wife is well-though pretty shook up I imagine :(
I will pray for your friends and all the innocent victims.
Take care.

Cathie Jones
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks for checking in, Dave - we were worried about your family. Hope you can get through to your friends soon. I don't believe any of my British friends were anywhere near London today, thank goodness!!

I should have a prelim of my oldest furchild tonight. Started watching a PBS show about Louis Armstrong last night and didn't get to the squirrel, so I went straight to Toto.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/23460-dog_hopping.gif

Judi1957
07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Another 5 star Class don't you all agree?

JayD
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Dave, keep us posted on what's going on in London--the most I have seen is Bush strutting around like a rooster.

Blah
07-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Dave...I am glad that your wife and daughter are safe. Hope that is true of all your friends too.

It is terrible that even a small part of mankind thinks that this is the way to solve their problems.

Blah

Blah
07-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Tim...WOW :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you for the demo.

Judi...while the eagles and snow leopard drawings look pretty good, the sheep sketch shows how far your have come now.

Joe...your pastel sketches are lovely. I like the skull best.

Sultry...I like the way your fantasy sketch has finally turned out. The moon lurking behind the tree and the moonlight reflected on the water are lovely touches.

WcChick (thank you CJ for the abbreviation)....until just over a year ago I had never made a serious attempt to draw an animal (or bird or fish). so I sort of know how you might feel. Nothing like attempting a few sketches to get over this mental block.

Bon...I was going rapidly through this thread at work, looking at the sketches alone, and my colleague was absolutely delighted (as was I) with your sketches, particularly the dog sketch :clap:

Chuck ....sorry to hear about your hip. Hope you get over it soon. This is the first time I am seeing a full eraser drawing - pretty impressive. The digital drawings are very effective & dramatic, particularly the lion.

Murray....that is a beautiful drawing of a very majestic animal. I also like the texture on the log.

Here are my animal sketches / drawings.

The lion was a very quick pen and ink sketch done about 15 months ago for Mickey's Drawing Game. I vividly recall Jay's observation about my hooked strokes. I had not realised it until Jay pointed it out.

I think the cat was done a couple of weeks later, and was a more serious effort.

About a year ago I realised that I was not finding enough time to draw and therefore tried to teach myself to draw quicker. The horse (from Stoy's Weekly Drawing Thread) was sketched in 30 to 35 minutes.

The squirrel was sketched earlier today and is only a rough drawing. After seeing Tim's demo I realise how I ought to have drawn it.

Blah

Mary Woodul
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Again I'm falling behind on posts and drawings. I will get to work this afternoon.

Dave it is a relief to know that your wife and daughter are safe and my heart and prayers go out to your people in the UK.

Blah, your kitten is hilarious, it is just so cute. I love the lion also and of course the others but the kitten just stole my heart.

Hi everyone, sorry for not commenting but I hope to, tonight. :wave:

chaffee
07-07-2005, 05:23 PM
First, let me join the crowd and extend my thoughts and prayers to all of our fellow posters, (and all those affected) in and around London.

JayD - Wow, I am not worthy, buddy, but thank you very much for those kind words.

Bon - As always your details and colors are something I marvel at. I love birds of prey and they make fantastic drawing subjects!

CJ - Thanks, let me know if you find a sticking point!

Chuck - I've seen a few of those "reverse" drawings on the board and they've always intrigued me. Nice job on that eagle. Digi's done in PS or Illustrator?

Murray - Love the lighting on that tiger, 'specially that band on his paw.

Blah - Thanks re: the demo, hope you enjoy. I remember doing that horse last year in the drawing thread, but I think I toiled about four hours on that baby. That tiger has a real nice feel to it. The eye is fantastic, striking in its simplicity and really makes the piece for me.

I'll have to scan some of my "oldies".

Great job all!

Tim

Fireman's kid
07-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Dave, I am so glad to hear that your family is safe. I imagine it is difficult to be apart from them at a time like this.

I just received an email from my friend. She and her family are also safe. What a relief. Although she feels a bit like trouble is following them since they lived near NYC when the World Trade Centers were attacked. Can't imagine what it must be like to go through something like this a second time and honestly hope I never find out.

Blah, all of your sketches are wonderful, but like Mary something about the kitty makes him my favorite. :)

chaffee
07-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Here are a few of my relics from the closet, literally, you can see the poor Hyena's been roughed up quite a bit!

Tim

Cathie Jones
07-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Blah, you never fail to amaze and impress me with your talent!! :clap: I like the lion best - he has attitude!

Tim, thanks for posting more - your work is very inspiring.

Mary, don't worry about getting behind. You'll have time to catch up next week!

Here's Toto #1. So far I've noticed that the nose isn't straight. The face is too round, and the body is too, but you wouldn't know that unless you knew the model. Anything else? How about the eyes?

SILKNSATIN
07-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Thank you all.Cathie off to a very good start.I can tell already it's going to be beautiful. :clap:
Omy did I see a snake?teehee :clap:
This drawing is almost 2yrs old but thought i'd post it anyways.

sultry
07-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Hiyas Everyone,
Dave I hope you have heard good news about your friends & so glad your family is all right.

Blah, Oh my gosh I love the kitten also, but you did a wonderful job with the horse, I like the movement of it, the last pic is that a chipmunk? its cute and it looks like it is very curious. :) with that watermelon basket. lol Great P&I lion profile too.
Thanks for the compliment on the bear ( I have erased the bear and unicorn and lightened the grass since). Maybe that is why Judi calls me the eraser queen. lol I posted it in AP and was given a great tip on how to improve it. So I will say it is still not finished. lol

Tim I really like your colored animals, especially the last one, what is it? It reminds me of a hyiena. Darline baby seal, and such pretty colorful birds. A mallard & a robin? Oh and now if you had black on your snake too, it would be very dangerous. My dad used to tell me, black & yellow could kill a fellow.

CJ, your off to a great start on your toto wow girl have you improved soooooo much.

Great elephants Bon. :)

Hope I did not leave anyone out, if I did, I will catch you on next round.

Fireman's kid
07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Tim, I like your "relics". The baby seal is so sweet and I love the feet on the ducks.

CJ - Great start on Toto. You are right that we wouldn't notice the things you mentioned without seeing the pup. I think the round face looks sweet and lovable.

Great baby elephants Bon. And not as scary as the snakes you like so much. :D

Hi Sults! :wave: I can't believe you erased the bear and unicorn. Where is that "shaking head in disbelief" smilie? Has anyone ever told you that you might be a perfectionist?!? :cat:

No drawing for me yet this week, but next week I promise to draw some seagulls. :D

sultry
07-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Sults! :wave: I can't believe you erased the bear and unicorn. Where is that "shaking head in disbelief" smilie? Has anyone ever told you that you might be a perfectionist?!? :cat:

LOL, Believe It Stacy :) I am going to practice getting this the way I want so I can transfer to a larger and better quality paper.

Can't wait to see your seagulls gf. :)

chaz
07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
hi everybody. After a slug of Prednisone, I'm feeling better. Can get around a little. sdtarted a new project. Posted the ref and the rough sketch. will refine and begin rendering this afternoon. The ref is from the WC reference library. I wrote down the photographer and now I can't find it. will post it when I locate it.

Tim, the digis were done in PSP7, a couple of years ago. Except for the scratchboard cat, which was done in PS7. By the way. Nice closet you have there. Got more good stuff in it? Rarely see snakes here (in WC) though. nice touch

Blah, nice sketches. I do have one question, did the squirrel chew out that watermelon basket?

Cathy. TOTO looks pretty good from here.

Great "elliee fant" family there Bon.

I hope I hit everyone. If not, get you later.

mhimeswc
07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I've been busy this week entertaining my granddaughter on her first week-long sleepover at Grandma's house. We've done some arts and crafts, and other fun things like swimming and carnivals and Build-A-Bear workshop, so I haven't had a lot of time for my own drawing, but I did manage to steal a little time to draw an animal. This is Stewart, my nephew Ryan's chameleon.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/20035-StewartDrawing.jpg

Judi1957
07-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Evening all :wave:
Blah-those are fabulous-especially the lion-looks like you did him fairly quickly with great control! :clap: :clap:

CJ-Love Toto-you asked about the eyes-I think they look great-I would just keep layering the graphite on to make them coal black. He is so cute! You said he is yours?

Bon, Lovely Mom and baby! :clap:

Chaz-Glad you are feeling better and are able to get around more. Nice lope type animal(?) Look forward to seeing him develop.

Michelle-lovely days you are having-wonder how we 'did it all' at one time huh? I would punch up the darks all over...really great-I think he looks a bit camera shy-love his face! :clap:

Eraser Queen, LOL-you are going to wear that paper out. Really looks fantastic with the added background stuff. I'd say you got really good advice. :clap:

mhimeswc
07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Judi! Yeah, I know the darks need to be punched up. I just wanted to get something in here before this lesson was over, and I didn't have much time. It was also all done with a HB pencil since that was all I could get my hands on at the time. I'll probably go back into it, although I have a polar bear I'd like to do too if I find the time. I still need to do my "finished" piece for the previous lesson, as well as about 4 more whole lessons that I missed. :eek:

Michelle

chaffee
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
CJ - you're much too critical of your drawing, I think you're off to a super start!

Bon - Elephants look dandy!

Sults - great moonlit feel to this along with the serene and peaceful "grazers".
You're right; the last one is a Hyena. The birds are actually a Wood Duck and a Purple Finch. The snake is a juvenile Tree Python - he's a "squeezer" not a biter. That truism your dad taught you was actually thought up as a neat way to tell the difference between the non-poisonous Scarlet King Snake and the deadly Coral Snake who have remarkably similar markings ie., bands of red, yellow and black. The version I was taught was "red on black, good for Jack; red on yellow could kill a fellow"

Stacy - thanks! :wave:

Chuck - yeah, I've got a few more jammed in there somewhere. Great start on that,......on that,.........on that Gazelle? Springbok? Anteloupe? What is he, anyway?

Michelle - beauty of a Chameleon. Did he stay still for you as you drew?

Tim

mhimeswc
07-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Ha! Ha! No, Tim, I did the chameleon from a photo, although from what I recall, he stayed VERY still when a human was in the room, so I probably could have sketched him in person except that I am now in New Jersey and he is in California.

Michelle

chaz
07-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Tim and Judi. He's a Pronghorn. A species found only in North America. He's not a true antelope, but will do until something else comes along. Very plentiful in the west of US.

I'm drawing on Bristal, using .o5 mechanical pencils 3h, h, 2b, Berol 4h Derwit 5b and a no 2 office pencil to glaze. Probably more than you care to know

This is where I am at this time. Time to retire and hit the heating pad. By the way, the reference is from Aussiesutton. Last posted in 2002. nothing since then. Hasn't replied to my advisory message.

Mary Woodul
07-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Good evening everyone! I am so behind but I finally have everything ready for tomorrow. I will post this and then go to sleep since I don't think I will get to sleep again until Sunday evening.

Tim, you are an expert at animals but the color of the Hyena is awesome.

CJ, those little eyes are sooooooo cute, Your doing great.

Bon, it is hard to find a favorite of yours because every one is so good, but this pair of elephants tops it all, You have conveyed so much tenderness.

Sults, I agree with Stacy, you are a perfeccionist, but that is why you are so successful at everything. Hugs. :D

Chuck, hope you feel better with your shot, that should do the trick. Your antelope is looking very good.

Michelle, you are a great grandma and artist, too. :clap:

Hi, Stacy, Dave, Ann, Judi, JayD, Blah and Tim. Hope you all have a good week end and I will be back on Sunday, if I survive after trying to see that 250 people get fed. :eek:

Judi1957
07-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Mary :wave:
Hope all goes wonderfully for the wedding and have a fabulous time. Congratulations to your son and his bride! I hope they have many many happy years together. :)
Sleep well!

Cathie Jones
07-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Evenin' everyone! I have two windows open so I can try to respond . . . I'm already getting lost with so many posts!

First, I want to thank ANN for pdf'ing the lessons for us. They're now also on my web site. Jackie (djdedman) had been asking about the pdf's, so I pm'd her that they're ready. She and her hubby need as many prayers as they can get right now, there just doesn't seem to be an end to his health problems - and they're in Florida, so now on hurricane watch!

Second, you guys are being way too generous on the dog portrait. I'll probably continue this one as 'a dog' rather than as Toto - I'll post a couple of pics of him and you'll see why. I think I almost have the soulful look in his eyes, but that's about it. Judi, you can see in the photos (I think) that his eyes aren't black - they're reddish-brown, like the rest of him - kind of burnt sienna, I think. Hard to tell in the pic I'm trying to do. Anyway, I need to stop being critical that it doesn't look so much like him and get on with the drawing practice!!

Bon, I like your elephants! They look so loveable!

Sults, the unicorn and bear will be nose-to-nose when you're finished with them? What a great idea - and no matter how you change it, your style keeps shining through!

Chuck, your pronghorn is off to a great start. I didn't recognize it, either. Don't have too many things like this in the cities!! :D I love the fur coloring in the photo - will you be doing it in color?

Michelle, nice chameleon - glad you had a photo to work from! Looks like he's looking at us!!

Thank you, Tim - yes, I'm very critical of my work. I don't seem to have the patience it takes to be very good at this, but I'll keep trying.

I think that's all, except to wish Mary a happy Mother-of-the-Groom day (that's right, isn't it?). I hope it's a gorgeous day and you're able to relax and enjoy it!! See you Sunday . . . with pics I hope!

So, here's Toto The Wonderdog. We bought him at a pet shop before we knew anything about pet shops and puppy mills. He was represented, and papered, as 100% pekingese. He's obviously at least part Tibetan spaniel. Has all of the typical in-bred puppy mill health problems, but is so smart sometimes he seems almost human. (Unlike his little sister Peaches, who IS 100% pekingese, and resembles every blonde joke you've every heard. She's a sweetheart, but the poor dear doesn't have a clue!!)

#1 - A fairly good view of Toto's eyes and coloring.
#2 - The photo I was trying to do the portrait from. It'll hold . . .

mothsailor
07-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Hi everyone! Some great work being done here. I have been out drawing, but don't have any way of getting them on the computer until DW arrives with the digital camera next week!

Mary, I hope tomorrow is a wonderful day to remember for all your family and friends.

Blah
07-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Hello Gang :wave:

Mary, Tim, Stacy, Cathy, Sultry, Chuck & Judi...thank you for the nice comments.

Tim...your relics look good. I like the hyena and wood duck in particular though they are all very nice.

Bon your elephants are very cute but this is not your usual /current style of drawing, is it?

Sultry...I am amazed at the patience that you are showing with this drawing. Of course, I should have expected it seeing the amount of kindness and patience you have shown over the last few months as a super sub. Obviously that is a quality you have in abundance apart from your drawing talent.

Chuck...to answer your question, it wasn't the squirrel, it was my wife :D
Your pronghorn is coming along beautifully.

Michelle...Your chameleon is wonderful :clap: I see that we are in the same boat with regard to our asignments.

Dave...I hope your digicam gets to California soon :D

Blah

sultry
07-09-2005, 11:48 AM
First let me say, Dave I am glad your DW is meeting you soon (It can be so stressful not to be near each other in such awful times). I can hardly wait to see your Califas Animal-ezzz lol ( a lil Chicanna talk for ya).

Mary I wish you & your family the most Beautiful and Carefree Day for a Wedding & also that you capture wonderful pictures.
Please tell them Congrats from me & also, A Congratulations to You & Beto :) New Mom & Dad In Laws. :clap: You can add this, tell them to take a lil time to write down a list of reasons why they decided on being together & why. To keep it in the Wedding Album. When they grow together thru the years to add reason why they love each other.

Wow, Michelle I like the chameleon, my sister has had an iguanna for years, I never really thought of it, but he could be base for a great Dragon. If you get a chance, it would be nice if you could print off a copy of your pet and add wings to it and post it in Bon's Dragon thread, ( he could be #79) wow we almost have 100 Dragons.

CJ, Toto is soooo cute and I am glad he has a good home with you. It is sad about puppy mills. Oh and regarding your lil girl, I do know what you mean about some purebreds though, sometimes they are bred for looks and not brains. I still say, I see much improvement in your work.

Chuck I really like the Pronghorn and ty for telling us what your using. You have a great sketch and it is coming along nicely.

Judi (hee hee don't get mad for what I am going to say), I really appreciate your hard work in looking after the prior classes, Everyone please note poor Judi has overtime & has been frustrated trying to work with a new system at work that is hell for her and her co-workers. So if any of you get a chance, I just ask if you could all step in once in awhile and give your great expertise to our fellow classmates who have just started. I know, I am not here as much as before, due to our business and other things but I will try to be. I do not want to hear any of you say that you can't because you may just surprise yourself, ask CJ lol she will tell you. She did so well subbing. Also, remember that subbing has such an added bonus, you learn as you teach ( more then just when you are just a student). Jay is doing a fab job in being a teach but he also has a life and it would be a great way to thank him if you all step in sub for him once awhile.

All of you (Judi, Stacy, Mary, CJ, Blah, Tim, Chaz & whom ever else I left out), I appreciate your kind words & wonderful compliments regarding my latest wip. I can tell you already I hit another break through on rendering my strokes and seeing values. :) Just because I asked for harsh C&C. lol

By the way, I just talked to Jyvonne on the phone, she has moved and has much unpacking to do but not only that, she is going in for surgery in Aug please pray for her when you can.
She will stay in touch with all of you thru me and so what ever you want to tell her I will relay to her. I have free long distance. :)

OHH one more thing, have you guys got a chance to check out the games yet? You just have to go see what is going on in the Golden Key game lol, there is a real fight and great fairy tales along with it. click on the link in my signature to see. It will make your day. Please leave a comment, we would all love to see what you think. It will get more players interested and the ones who are playing to keep interested. :)

Ok this novel is over rofl :rolleyes:

Firstsister
07-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks JayD!
Hi folks,
Waaaaay back, when JayD was gathering things to get the 101 classes off to a start, he invited me to be a “guest lecturer” for one of his classes. I was flattered and accepted the challenge. Some of you may remember I posted a drawing of a squirrel that I was going to use as the drawing to talk about. Well, as my text was almost complete, I got a severe case of cold feet and shut the whole thing down on my end, leaving JayD and Gavin out in the cold. No disrespect was meant to anyone, it’s just that a “teaching” or “lecturing” title made me very nervous.

Tim, except for the part about the squirrel drawing, I could have written this post. I've always felt guilty and bad about never delivering a lecture and leaving Jay hanging. :( For that, Jay, I apologize.

Thank you, Tim, for opening the door for me to apologize and saying what I never could seem to say. :)

Now, back to drawings. :) I've been in a bit of a dry spell, lately - having trouble getting motivated and not really feeling like drawing. It's awful. :(

I had a little surge with Bon and Sultry's "Dragon Challenge," but even that has been put on the back burner. Sigh...

Animals have always been my most favorite subjects to draw and I have some drawings that have been done over the past couple of years and up to fairly recently. I thought I'd post a few here. Most have been posted previously in past threads, most are unfinished, LOL, and some have been tweaked and rescanned since they were originally posted. :)

Polar Bears (from National Geographic cover):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/32616-Polarbears.jpg

Lion (from past Weekly Drawing thread):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/32616-Lion.jpg

Unfinished Elephant (Bic Ballpoint Pen):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/32616-Elephant4.jpg

Firstsister
07-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Got some dogs too! :D

Taro the pug:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/32616-Tarofinish.jpg

My greyhound, Dash:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2004/32616-Dashdrawing.jpg

Yellow Lab:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2005/32616-LabWC5.jpg

:)

sultry
07-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Paula I am so happy you posted these beautiful animal renderings gf. :) I love your work as you know. :)

The way you do dogs is so magical but now I see you put majestic in your lion and such wisdom in your elephants. :)

I know what you mean about work not finished, you should see all my uncompletions gf, I have a self portrait that is hiding under my bureau with only one eye. lol
I have my poor daughters portrait that I abandoned and so many others that it is not even funny. I do plan to go back to them though.
What I have found that helps me is to do something completely different from what I am doing ( if I get a block).

Blah
07-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Paula....every single one of them is marvelous :clap: :clap: :clap: I am so glad you posted them.

Cathie...I am sorry, I realised after my last post that I had not added the comment I had in mind about your drawing of Toto. I thought it was coming along beautifully, but then you asked us to check out the eyes and comment.

When I took a closer look the highlights looked a little odd. But then, in a later post you gave us the reference photographs and the highlights in the eyes (are they from a camera flash?) seem to match the ones in your sketch, except that I now feel that the highlights on the nose are very slightly off.

Blah

Cathie Jones
07-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Paula, thank you for posting your animal drawings. The lion looks as if he could come right off the page - - fantastic!!! I love the pug, too, he's a cutie!

Blah, thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I don't believe I used a flash for Toto's photo, it was probably just the kitchen lights and/or window creating the highlights. I'll check again. It helps me to stay interested in the drawing if I can have a piece of it look finished, even if it isn't really. Know what I mean? I think that's why people like to do the eyes first.

Hi Sults! I've been doing almost everything in a spiral-bound sketch book, so the unfinished stuff is all in one place, along with the finished products. Otherwise, they'd be lost! ;)

Cathie Jones
07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Update -

I can see that he needs more definition, but I'll let him rest for a little bit. I'm a lot happier with it than I was yesterday!

Comments appreciated . . .

Judi1957
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi CJ :wave:
He is looking adorable so far. :clap:

Paula-these are wonderful! I remember the pug well!

Hi Sults, Dave and Blah!

JayD-where are you??????? :( :(

Judi1957
07-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey-this Class is definatley a 5 star Class! :clap: :clap:

Please rate the thread for JayD! :)

JayD
07-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I am using someone else's computer to send you guys a message. I am offline--got a blasted cable modem--waiting for roadrunner to bring it by so I am on my way home to meet them. right now I am coming to you live from my wife's office. Will be back shortly. You guys are doing great!!!!!

chaz
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi Guys. My gosh. I take a nap and the thread fills up. So Much to see so little time.

Paula. fantastic drawings. I expecially love the yellowlab. My two golden retrievers must like the drrawing too. They both are front paws on the desk looking. Then again perhaps it's not the yellowlab. Maybe it's the potato chips I'm eating that has their attention. You think?

CJ. The pug is comming along beautifully

Thank all of you, sults, Blah, Jayd, judy, Cj for your coments on the Pronghorn. Must finish him shortly.

By the way CJ. I was thinking of doing a Digital then an acrylic of the pronghorn. Will see how it goes

Chuck

Cathie Jones
07-09-2005, 10:30 PM
CJ. The pug is comming along beautifully
Chuck

:eek: Oh, no! And I thought I was doing so well! He's supposed to be Pekingese/Tibetan Spaniel!! :D

Oh, well - I didn't recognize the pronghorn at first, either . . . ;)

SILKNSATIN
07-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Paula wow awesome. :clap:
Cathie,sultry,michelle and chuck.Fantastic :clap: :clap:
Well finally finished 1 of 3 pieces of animals i been working on.This is only an 8x10 done with ebony pencil.It was 9x12 but grandaughter bit a corner of it.LOL

Cathie Jones
07-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Bon, you have such a great imagination and always bring something new and fresh to your drawings!! :clap: :clap:

chaz
07-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Cathie, I am so totally confused. Someone was doing a Pug. I though it as you in my mixed up state of mind. Now i have to go back and find out who that was and make amends there won't I.

Oh well, so much for a good start for the day right?

Chuck

Cathie Jones
07-10-2005, 09:50 AM
I was just kidding, Chuck - not offended. The pug pic was a completed drawing by Paula, who is a much better artist than I am!!!

And speaking of artists - - if you haven't been back to the sketching thread, go back and look at what Katherine Tyrrell has posted, and then take a walk through her web site. Amazing talent!!!! :clap: This link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3679477&postcount=650) will take you to her first post . . .

Anita Murphy
07-10-2005, 10:21 AM
WOW - some amazing animals here - I am totally stunned by the quality. Too many to comment on all of them!

I'm back and ready to start drawing animals - had a great time. I will post my sketch book sketches in the summer sketch book thread (not that I did much - too much sangria being consumed :) inhibiting my drawing ability!) Will post some photos too in the scribble thread as soon as I have them downloaded - have to show off my son who looks just amazing in his uniform (I feel a painting coming on!)

So just saying hi this post! :wave:

chaffee
07-10-2005, 11:34 AM
These are looking great!

Chuck - Pronghorn; gotcha, thanks. It's coming along nicely.

Mary - Expert??? Yikes! Far from it, but thank you very much for that, and your other comments.

CJ - I think the measure of patience can ultimately make or break a piece depending on the desired effect. Your work underscores that point. Nice!

Blah - Thank you. Years ago, I was blown away by a lion I saw that had been drawn in CP, up to that point I'd never seen anything done with a serious effort in that medium. I went out and bought a set of Crayolas, hit the library for some animal books, and proceeded to draw the Wood Duck. I was pretty excited with the result and was immediately hooked.

Paula - I'm glad it helped you out - it helped me too.
Great details on those pieces....the Elephant's trunk, fabric on the dog's hat, the expression captured on the Lab's face.....all done very well and they're great examples of your work!

Bon - I love the fact that this is so "different". Your skills, as I've stated before, are truly inspiring. This particular one's got a neat combination of textures and concept. Beauty!

Tim

Glenspey
07-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi, I usually hang out in the CP forum but thought you might like to see my drawing of one of my Rough Collie pups Roma.
Not sure of the paper, probably Arches Hot Press, mechanical pencils, 2B, HB and a little charcoal in the very darkest areas.

I've really enjoyed looking at all the animals in this thread, great work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gayle

JayD
07-10-2005, 01:38 PM
This is astounding, folks--and you have one more week of animals to go!!! Gayle, thanks for dropping by--Gayle is one of my favorites over in the cp forum--she does a lot ot collies and you all know how I feel about shelties and what are shelties but "porta-collies"!

Anyway, I will be looking at everyone's stuff later today--nice work and keep up the posting!!

phoebecat
07-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I've been lurking here for ages, but haven't worked up the courage to post. I've been drawing a lot of animals lately, so I figured this would be a great time to face my fears. I just love this forum and have had so much fun getting back into drawing and seeing people's great drawings. There are so many talented people here! I have two rhinos that I've been working on this past week and they are not finished, but I don't know if I will work on them more. I see all kinds of things I'd like to fix on them, such as the crooked horn on the one with the dark background. So, here goes. I hope this works and thanks for looking.

Anne

Cathie Jones
07-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Anne! :wave:

Welcome - I'm glad you decided to join us - that first post is always the hardest! However, you have nothing to fear from this group, we're all learning - and your rhinos are terrific. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!! :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
07-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi Anita! :wave: I hope you are having a fabulous time.

Hi Chaz-we all do mistaken identities here and there-JayD :p still can't get Joe's name straight - LOL :D

Gayle-beautiful drawing! :clap: :clap:

Annie-Nice work! Glad to have you aboard! Like CJ said-no need to be shy around us.

Hi CJ :wave: -how is the pug coming along? :wink2:

mhimeswc
07-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Whew! I had a great time with my granddaughter, and yesterday my son came to pick her up. He had his other 4 kids with him, and they stayed over. They just left a few minutes ago. I'm exhausted and the house is a wreck. Yes, he has five kids and they are expecting their 6th in January.

Needless to say I had very little time this week for drawing. I managed to dash off that chameleon in about an hour one morning while my granddaughter was eating breakfast.

I've been browsing all the animals and they are GREAT! I loved the elephants, the lion, the rhinos and that collie was super! Did I understand correctly that this lesson also will be extended for another week? I will try to get another animal or two done.

Michelle

Mary Woodul
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi everyone! I wish that could comment on everyone's drawing that are extraordinary but you all are way ahead of me and I have to go to sleep after staying up all night due to the prolonged wedding that went beautifully. Promise I will comment on your drawings tomorrow. I am posting a beetle I started this afternoon and will finish it tomorrow to try some other animal. :wave:

catchlight
07-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi there :) JayD invited me over from the CP forum to post a couple of my latest animal efforts, so here they go :)

This first one is a wolf I finished last night. All done in various brands of cp on black card stock.

catchlight
07-10-2005, 09:52 PM
This is my leopard I did the day before yesterday!

I've done quite a few animals recently, (I'm obsessed!) but you can see them all in my signature line :D

Judi1957
07-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Bon, I am sorry I missed commenting on your drawing...so here goes... :clap: :clap:

Michelle, feel like just getting a bulldozer for the mess they leave? :D

Mary! :wave: Cool beetle! Anxious to see the coloring you give him!
So glad the wedding went well! :clap: :clap: You going to show us a picture of the happy couple (Please?)

mhimeswc
07-10-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't think the bulldozer can handle it! I'm leaving it all to clean up tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Michelle

mhimeswc
07-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Wendy, I'm glad you posted them here. The wolf and leopard are terrific!

Michelle

Judi1957
07-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Wendy-those are spectacular! :clap: :clap:

So...no laughing.... First watercolor. :o I'd say 30% done I guess.
Posting after all these beautiful drawings/paintings of wonderful guests of ours seems embarassing. :o

catchlight
07-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Thankyou guys :) I think there's heaps of wonderful stuff happening in this class, so impressive to look through! Thanks for inviting me JayD :)

sultry
07-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Wow Gail, I love collies & shelties & border collies ( I used to own all 3). Your work in all your animals is so wonderful. I think you capture their soul in their eyes. Love it. :) I am in awe of your work and I think the eyes you render look so liquidy wet. Wow,

Hiyas Ann I can see you are great in contrast in your Rhinos and you should do some more animals, I like the effect you have.

Wendy, What beautiful pieces you have, like Gail your eyes & fur look so realistic and petable. Well I am not sure I would pet them, they do look very wild and untamed though. My daughter would love your wolf, she has wolf posters all over her apartment. Infact, when she was in boot camp in the Air Force, she used to march for hours and peel potatoes, for hours. She said because noone would talk to her she would find her self sometimes memorized by the bobbing heads marching in front of her or the many potatoes she would peel and then she would glance at the corner of her eye and see a wolf (but it would be always in a howling stance).
She was confused as to why she kept seeing him and told me that when they howl they seemed sad because of the lonely cry. I told her that a wolf howls at night for all kinds of reasons and some are known to be for their way of contentment, mating calls or just keeping communication with other wolves and stay in contact. I sent her this link (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/wolves/howl.html).
In a way, we believe it was a sign from our ancestors to keep her safe and also to let her know she picked the right decision to enlist. While she was in Iraq her wolf stayed with her and so reason for her apt full of wolf pics ( she will be going back next May & taking her wolf spirit with her).

Hey Judi, your doing a great job on the wc, seems like whatever medium you do, you have a hold on it. looking forward to your updates. :)

Welcome back Anita, we missed you.

Mary great start on the beatle and glad the wedding was wonderful.

Well, Jay, Judi & Mary my CD arrived from AK on cp, I will try and work with cp again, not promising any masterpieces though.

edited.....Jay, I forgot to mention, I told Jyvonne about the animal link in the Learning Ctr and that you have some of her threads there. She said to tell you, you brought tears to her eyes and thank you.

JayD
07-11-2005, 07:49 AM
She really deserves the rocognition--I just love her work, Sults-thanks for letting her know.

Hey, pm me and explain this Key thing to me--I have to be the densest guy in the universe because I don't understand it. DUH!!!!

Blah
07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi class :wave:

I had a house full of guests for the last few days & I don't have any work to show. I am therefore really glad that we can work on animals for one more week.

Cathie...Toto looks really fine now.

I used to draw from the eyes outwards, but I was "taught" to work on the overall proportions first and then move to the details. Initially I was not comfortable doing that, but I am now. Even now, when I sketch with a pen I revert to my old habit.

Bon...your eagle is very imaginatively presented :clap:

Gayle...your drawing of Roma is just fabulous :clap:

Anne...nice drawings and welcome to the thread. You already have something very important going for you - the darks that you are achieving. When I saw your thumbnails I thought they were b&w reference photographs.

Anita...welcome back.

Mary ....glad to hear that the big day was lovely and that the event went off beautifully.

The beetle-in-the-making is looking good.

Wendy....the wolf and the leopard cp portraits are outstanding :clap: Thank you for showing them to us step by step.

Judi....knowing you I think this too will turn out beautifully. In any case the main subjects are already looking good.

Sultry...what you wrote about your daughter and her wolf spirit was very touching. Next year is still far away and I hope she will not have to go to Iraq again until peace is restored there.

Blah

Cathie Jones
07-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Good morning Basicbuddies!!

Don't know if I mentioned it, but we're on vacation this week. Leaving in a little while for beautiful Mammoth Lakes. Spending a few days in the trees, and there's a jazz festival over the weekend. I'll have Internet access, but no scanner, and will probably work on sketching instead of animals.

I'll check in during the week to see what's happening . . . you guys be good!! No food fights, okay?

See ya :wave:

SILKNSATIN
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Wow fantastic everyone. :clap:
Cath love the colored pencil work. :clap:

mhimeswc
07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Have fun, CJ. My sister used to live in Mammoth Lakes.

Michelle

cmwynn
07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Great job from class members, also inspiring to see some of the guests Jay has invited. I guess we all have favorite animals. I don't have any pets, so took some photos in the garden this morning of some bug and butterflies. This is a small sketch of a butterfly done in pen and ink with watercolor.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2005/29839-Brown_butterflyxm.jpg
I have finally painted my tiger, in casein, on a gessoed panel. I want to learn how to use this paint, but it is very hard for me. I usually make much more mess than I think I will. The painting is 8" x 10", too small for as much detail as I planned.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2005/29839-Cas_tiger_step_2xm.jpg
I promised I would show my droopy pelican from last week's WDE, in watercolor. I also did a new drawing of it, a brown pelican, definitely better. This one might fly.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2005/29839-pelican_cut1xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2005/29839-Pelicanxm.jpg

Firstsister
07-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Oh my gosh, I'm so proud to be in such wonderful, talented company. :)

Everyone's work is just stunning. Really beautiful work.

Thank you Sultry, Blah, Cathie, Judi, Tim, Chuck, Bon, for your nice comments. Drawing animals has always been my first love - I'm so glad you liked them. :)

I'm enjoying this thread so much. I'm looking forward to seeing more great work from everyone. :)

Judi1957
07-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Connie! :wave:
Wow-what a beautiful butterfly-he looks so delicate with that lovely soft melon color!
Excuse my ignorance-what is "in casein, on a gessoed panel"?
I like the paintings and expecially like the penciled pelicans!
:clap: :clap:

Judi1957
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi CJ!
Have a great time!!!!
-maybe you can find a mammoth to sketch! :D

No food fights-yes Ma-we will try to keep Sults and Joe under control!

mhimeswc
07-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Nice animals, Connie. Your pelican drawing is wonderful!

Michelle

chaz
07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone.Such a long way to go to catch up, I thought I would start early. Not quite finished with the Pronghorn. Spent the weekend painting. Wish it were on a easel, unfortunately it was the patio and several picnic tables and a cement block wall. Took all weekend because had to strip off an outdoor carpet from the patio. Finished this afternoon. So not an image to post yet. But such an array of images to look and comment on so I thought I souldn’t wait until I finished to do that so here goes. I’m writing this in word so I can flip back and forth.

Bon, the raptor on a stretched hide is unique not to mention excellent.!

I took CJ advice and peeked at Katherine Tyrrel’s travel sketches. Great stuff.

Gayle, the collie is excellent. Love the charcoal darks. Great touch..

Anne. Beautiful rhino’s

Wendy, very impressed with the wolf and the leopard. Marvelous work with those colored pencils.

Judy, That watercolor is taking shape nicely. Waiting to see it when it’s done.

Connie, great drawing of the pelican. Like the tiger and butterfly too. Is the butterfly done in Casein too? OOPs, I see it's done in pen and ink and watercolor. Nice job with it.

I hope I didn’t miss anyone, but if I did wil get you next time.

Will post my Antelope tomorrow.

Chuck

SILKNSATIN
07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Thank you chuck.
Connie these are beautiful and love the butterfly. :clap:

antgeek
07-11-2005, 09:01 PM
gee, i thought this was a 'basics' class, you all are so talented! well, let me see what i can do... :wave:

JayD
07-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Antgeek, that is a strong compliment to the class--go back to the beginning and have a look at their progress--you will be astounded. Look forward to seeing your stuff!

JayD
07-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Paula, I remember these pieces--beautiful. I did the Lion myself but it cannot touch yours. I may post it later. Also the elephant the dog are my favorites of course. I am so glad you posted.

JayD
07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi, Phoebecat--great rhino--the horn does not bother me because these animals have such personality--I never knew that the ears looked like that. Now I know where Shrek got his. My only constructive comment is to go back and study the animal's wrinkles for a bit--the next time that you do an animal like this--try first IMPRESSING your lines (bear down with an instrument or scribe to creat an indentation out of where your lines will be). When you add your graphite work, you will have some really nice and realistic looking wrinkles. Try this on some scrap first. Nice work and I hope you will be showing us some more of your wonderful work.

Mary, you are drawing a BIP--bug in progess--I think that insects are the most beautiful of the creatures on this earth--there is something so basically mechanical about insects. I would like to see you do a metal verstion of this animal complete with nuts and bolts.

Wendy, thanks for posting your work. I like the class to see as many different ways of working as possible. I still have difficulty working on black myself so this is a real treat for me to see someone like yourself in action.

JayD
07-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Connie, you have a very illustrative style of painting and I am so IMPRESSED that you are working in Casein. Are you mixing the paint yourself and what is your binder if you are. How do you think it compares with something, say, like tempera. Casien is an aqueous medium made from the protein of milk. It is almost a forgotten medium. It works best when applied over a rigid base such as panel or masonite. It leaves a beautiful matte finish when used properly. If you want to go for a more impasto look you can texturize your gesso and then applying thin layers of cassein over the gesso. It does have a major advantage over watercolor in that it is correctable. You can remove or erase errors (practice this) by using a mixture of ammonia or water. You ae going to have some serious fun with this. Hmmm, I go get some of this myself...hmmmm

I like your droopy pelican very much but I see your point with your posted "pelican redeaux"! :D

antgeek
07-11-2005, 09:55 PM
found this pony in the ril, it's called a 'fell pony'. started with graphite, moved to conte for the rich black. some stuff is off, but i'm happy with the overall look and did this quickly. i don't seem to have any graphite fixative, i wonder if soft pastel fixative would work? it's hot today, and i'll wait til later to try it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2005/52085-fell-pony-sketch.jpg

JayD
07-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Try hairspray, artgeek--poor man's fixative and it smells like Winsor Newton!!! Its a good quick sketch--now a challenge for you--see if you can take this one and move it to a favorite paper an redo it as a finished piece--use any medium you prefer. I could see this in watercolor or pen and ink.

cmwynn
07-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Jay - I bought already mixed casein paints. What you say is all correct, but it is much more complicated than that. I have painted on watercolor paper, some like watercolor, some more like guaoche. It is a lot like acrylic, but with little color shift when it dries. It is water soluble when wet but dries permantly. It can be varnished or burnished. The varnish brings out the darks more, the burnishing will make the whole painting shiny. It does need a rigid surface if it is very thick at all. I want to use it more thickly, impasto, dark first, then light, just the opposite of watercolor. I have tried one total failure of painting with a knife but that intriques me. But I have to get over the mess and stickiness. Especially with the phthalo green! What a disaster that can be.

Mary Woodul
07-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi all! :wave: I will try not to get behind again after this post.

Wendy, your animals are so incredible. The cat you have on your signature line is awesome.

Judi, I can't believe that is your first wc, it is looking so good.

Antgeek, nice pony and it is very nice to see around here.

Hi, Michelle, Sults, Blah, CJ, Bon and Chuck.

JayD, do you mean turn it into mechanical beetle with all mechanical parts? Quite a challenge, but let me know what you mean and I'm all for it. :D I saw one of these open it's wings and it has the most beautiful orange color on it's body, that I have ever seen. There are so many around right now, I was afraid one would crawl up somebodies legs at the wedding. :eek: Here is my update. I'm going very slow because aside from everything else I had to do today, I also had the grandsons over. I'll post a link to the pictures of the wedding in the morning, I got some better one's today.

JayD
07-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Mary do your real live one and then do a totally mechanical version--think in terms manof each part and how all the parts work together in unison. I thought you might find this an interesting challenge.

Connie, thanks for teaching me. I spent many years working in casein and you are right there are many ways to work this wonderful medium. I used it mainly on flats as my board which is, I guess, kind of a stretched canvas.

Judi1957
07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Evening all :wave:

Nice pony antgeek.

Mary! thanks-I had to get a book on it to get this far. :eek:
Nice bug-looking great. Ohhhh Robo-bug-that would cool!

Have another WIP as I was too tired to get out the wc stuff tonite-came home and slept for a few hours. But, feeling guilty started a wolf in pencil. Jumping all over the place on him-not completing anything-think it's bedtime for me. I need to look at him fresh tomorrow.

JayD
07-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Judi, that is the look Bailey is giving me right now. He has become incredibly infested with uberfleas--frontline wont penetrate his double coat--sprays wont either--we dipped him--that dog is bulletproof--so we got a flea spray that is organic that you apply and shampoo inot the coat--he so much hates us right now.

Anyway, great wolf--leave it as it is--a beautiful sketch.

Mary Woodul
07-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Wow, Judi, I like that, it is staring.

OK JayD, sir, that sound like fun! :D

phoebecat
07-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and your comments about my rhinos. It was silly of me to be so afraid of posting. JayD, I'm looking forward to trying your suggestion of impressing the lines for the wrinkles. I did try it on a scrap paper and I liked the effect. I'm thinking of attempting an elephant, so it will serve me well there. I'm really enjoying everybody's animal drawings. They're all fantastic. I'm going to post a WIP of some prairie dogs that is at a very early stage. I have a fear of drawing fur, so the idea of drawing three furry creatures is daunting.

Anne

catchlight
07-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Thankyou all those who made the lovely comments about my work and Sultry, that is an amazing story about your daughter, wow! Wolves are very special to me too, and wild cats too :) I used to work in a wildlife park when I was a teenager and got in the cage with some jaguar babies once, it was such a thrill and I'll remember it always :D

Mary Woodul
07-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Anne these are adorable, you rendered a weightiness in there fur that gives the drawing a tender look to it.

JayD
07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Anne those are just precious. I have a groundhog wondering about under my wood carving workshop--I might see if I can snagsome photos. Its hard to catch him about though.

mhimeswc
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Here is a polar bear I did this morning with a #2 pencil.

I'm off to the pool for my laps now. I hope the water isn't as cold as this fellow usually swims in.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2005/20035-PolarDrawing.jpg

sultry
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Hey Michelle, great Polar Bear :) I like how well porportioned he is. Laps? It must be hot in NJ too, we had a record high in Ct yesterday.

Hiyas sera, that is a good sketch of a lil pony.

Judi, I really like the wolf, you have the correct shading to give depth.

Anne your critters are so cute & cuddley.

Mary, Do you know when you commented about that you worried about one of those beatles climbing up one the guests leg, I had to laugh, cuz, they really must of made an impression on you, for you to render one.

Connie your tiger and butterfly are painted in such pretty fresh colors but your pelicans have to take all. LOL, I think of the movie "Scarface" when Pacino was saying...."Pelican, Pelican, Pelican". lol

Wendy, I am glad you understood how you we feel about the wolf. Some people think were crazy. lol Funny you should mention the big cats, Becuase I have always felt close to the puma or black leopard.

Blah, I hope your right. :)

Well, thought I would show you guys an update on the piece I am working on. I also included a close up to show you how the animals heads compare to a dime. :)

Anita Murphy
07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I am so amazed by all these drawings. My total failure at animals is documented by the mounds of paper screwed into balls at my feet! I don't even know where to start with fur. I think I shall have to resort to shiny backed beetles along with Mary! I'm feeling totally pathetic about the whole class! :(

Sults - I love the unicorn! Have you read "The little white horse" by Elizabeth Goudge? It is a childrens book but appeals to all.

Michele - super polar bear.

chaz
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone. Time to post my pronghorn. However, reluctant to do same. All those other great animals are tough to follow. Michelle, Great Polor bear and Anne those litle guys are cute as the devil. I know I missed a couple of drawings though. I'll have to scan this thread later.

Here's the antelope.

Chuck

mhimeswc
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Sultry and Anita for the comments about my polar bear.

Yes, it is hot in NJ, and the water was beautiful. I swim laps in our town pool every day during the summer. It's not heated and some days it's freezing, but today was great.

Sults, I was really surprised at how small your bear drawing is. You got a lot of depth into such a small space. It's looking great.

Antgeek, I love your pony.

Anita, try a short haired animal - you can model it as if it were hairless, and then just give a slight indication of hair.

Michelle

chaz
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Got another one started (wip). This goose is being done on 140LB watercolor paper. The background and the next you see in the drawing were done using charcoal. Not so easy on watercolor paper. The background was created using soft vine charcoal and blended with a tissue. While I waited, I did a second layer of the background. It's much better than this one, but still not the best. It's raining at the moment so cant take a new photo. maybe later.

edited. Ooops, Forgot to include images.
Chuck

SILKNSATIN
07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
These are just awesome all. :clap: :clap:
Sults great improvement. :clap:
Here's a few colored pencil ones I did.

mhimeswc
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Bon, your birds are awesome!

Michelle

chaz
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Bon, Those are wonderful paintings. I don;t know how you do it. Everytime I try colored pencil the results look like Miss brooks (My third grade teacher) just finished hollering at me for coloring outside the lines.

Extraorinary drawings :) :clap:

Anita Murphy
07-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Bon - I just love the parrot!

Chuck - coloured pencil is so much more work than you expect! You feel like you will never get to the end of the layers. And I mean layers and layers and layers. I think it is the hardest medium I have ever tried! I have just learned a new trick that no-one had let me on to before. Turpenoid! It melts the wax and gives a paint like finish but leaving no stain.
I think your pronghorn is great and your goose is heading the same way.

SILKNSATIN
07-12-2005, 04:32 PM
That is true Present.I never heard of this method??
I,d get a shine anyways because I use fixative on my colored pencil art to.I'm very rough on pencils.I'm not a soft drawer.Tried a few times but it just isn't me.Yes the layers are timely and you can tire of it fast.I normally do two drawings at once when working with colored pencil.I use more then 1 brand on my drawings to.

Mary Woodul
07-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Michelle that is a beautiful polar bear.

Sults, those beetles have become a joke here at home because they were tiny three months ago and they love to crawl up on people or fall on their hair from the trees and my son Juan Carlos said "they will big by my wedding, we have to do something about them". Well they are big but apparently didn't scare anyone. :eek:

Anita, I love your avatar!

Chuck your antelope is amazing, the way you rendered the grass is so keen.

Bon, you sort all of these drawings out like poker cards :envy: , I've been working on one little beetle for three days and can't finsih it. Your drawings are just beautiful. I do notice that with colored pencil you do have to put on a lot more pressure and I think that is why it seems so difficult.

I'll try to have and update by tonight. :wave:

sultry
07-12-2005, 07:25 PM
LOL, Mary only 3 days? Gee if you could see the time I put into things (& nothing is finished yet). :rolleyes:
I will tell you one thing, I am scared to death of bugs, if one of those fell on me from a tree, I think Everyone around the world would hear my screams. Not to mention the dance I would put on. We had similar huge beatles in Vegas and they made a loud buzzing noise.

Anita, I love your avator too. :) I have not read that book, I will have to get it. I read alot of horse books when I was young though. Hey, don't be afraid of drawing animals, you can draw humans, they are very hard to draw. When in doubt of how to do it, go back to the geo shapes and edit them to fit the shape of the animal. Draw a cube and divide the cube into different geo shapes to make up the animal. Use a sphere for a head, another cube for a body, cylinders for legs and so forth. Use lines if your not sure of where to put the legs.
When I draw a horse, I sketch the lines first then the little spheres for knees and hocks. Then I go back and look at the shape and draw as best as I can to get the shape by looking at the negative space.

Bon, I love the colorful birds and you do snakes so well. That Macaw has such a vibrant red color, it is gorgeous.

Chuck, your pronghorn and goose are looking good.

Michelle, we are expecting thunder storms now. lol, & thank you for the compliement.

chaz
07-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Here is the latest on the Goose. I'm closing up shop for the night. The Goose is not responding as I would like. Everything I do makes it that much worse IMOP. Going to let it rest until morning. Night all

Chuck

JayD
07-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Anita, if you want to get the best out of your solvents (ie turpenoid)--check out Gary Greene's book on colored pencil textures, Creating Textures in Colored Pencil--this book is well worth the investment. I have a big can of turpenoid here in my office--it is not supposed to be overly toxic but excercise caution and proper ventilation or you may end up seeing elephants with tamboreens playing in the band. :D

Judi1957
07-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Everybody is doing wonderful with the animals!

Sults-Wow-putting the dime there gives you more appreciation to the size-wonderful detail! :clap:

Michelle-I love the polar bear :clap: -makes me want a coke-to cool off from this heat. Pool? :envy:

JayD-poor Baily! :( Did you snag the groundhog? Would love to see some of your woodcarvings!

Hi Anita, Going to any bullfights-that would be a great drawing!

Chuck-your pronghorn turned out great :clap: and the geese is looking good to. He'll look better to you in the morning.

Bon, You are amazing-guess you did these between loads of laundry? :clap: :clap:
Class, Bon said once she did one her masterpieces between loads of laundry---that's how fast she is!

Anita Murphy
07-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Mary and Sults - thank you for sweet comment on my avatar!

Sults - I don't know what it is about animals - but I am going to try again tomorrow. I really wanted to have a go at a giraffe - just cos I think they have the cutest faces. So tomorrow I will try the geo shapes method.

Bon - I read about the turpenoid thing with colour pencils in July's issue of Artist Magazine. I can't remember the name of the artist in question (but I know she is a wetcanvas member!!! We chatted in the Cafe once). Amazing article if you are interested.

JayD - you may end up seeing elephants with tamboreens playing in the band. - I think I may have to invest in some of that!!!! :D And thanks for the book tip. It is added to my wishlist!

Chuck - the goose is looking great!

Mary Woodul
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Sults, I just noticed I didn't comment on your drawing and I was going to tell you that I like the dream like feel you are rendering in it.

Chuck, I think your goose is very good. Why don't you like it?

Hi Judi and Anita :wave:

JayD, I don't know if this is finished but I will start on the mechanical one tomorrow. :confused:

Good night, see you all tomorrow. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2005/43096-IMG_2142.JPG

Ohh, the left front leg needs fixing. :(

Judi1957
07-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Mary! :wave:
He looks really great! :clap: :clap: I love the colors you used and the look of the brown 'shell'. Pretty wedding guest, huh?

You are right Chuck-our guests drawings are really a tough act to follow. But just think-they were where we are once. We can only get better. :)

Posting 95%, C & C welcome and appreciated.

One of these days I am going to figure out how to get a good crisp photo. :(

mothsailor
07-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Chaz, I agree with Mary; looks good to me!

Mary, that's a scary looking critter!

Judi, I like the way the eyes look up at you. Nice soft, fuzzy hair too.

Bon, those birds are amazing!

Looking forward to being able to post again soon! I'm feeling a bit left out :(

mhimeswc
07-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Your beetle looks great, Mary. He almost looks like he's wearing a tuxedo for the wedding. :)

Michelle

Mary Woodul
07-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Wow Judi, that is a beautiful and powerful wolf.

Thank you Dave, hope you can post again soon. Yes he does look scary, it took a lot of courage to take his picture. :D

Thank you Michelle, I hadn't thought of that and his shell is quite fancy. He is bright orange underneath the wiings, but who ever gets to see the orange, they are always crawling on the ground.

mhimeswc
07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Terrific wolf, Mary.

I too have trouble getting a good image up here. The scanner misses a lot, and your drawing has to be small. The camera doesn't seem to like the black & white image as much as a color one.

Michelle

mhimeswc
07-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I wanted to award merit points for some of these animals. They are such great drawings! Anyone else having trouble awarding merit points? I haven't been able to use them for at least a week. It keeps telling me that I can only award one a day - Duh!!! I know that, but I haven't since it won't let me. I give up!

Michelle

JayD
07-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Michelle, you may want to report the problem to either Gavin or Murray, the moderators and they can check into it for you. I agree, a lot of these deserve merit points.

JayD
07-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Mary, good job on Oedipus the Bug (Oedipus means club footed--but you indicated you were fixing the front leg!!!)

Now, when you do the mechanical--consider the color of the metal you want to use--is it cold steel, gold, bronze, pewter, silver etc... or do you want to do a mix--will there be jewels? Are there screws or pins which will hold this little metal bug together? Is the antennae made of wire--what kind?

Also, think in terms of segments--assemble it piece by piece as if you were a jeweler. I cant wait to see how you handle this particular challenge!!

chaz
07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks to all of you, Dave, Mary, Anita, Judi, for your gracious comments about the pronghorn and the Goose.

Mary, in answer to question about why I don’t like the drawing, it’s not so much that I don’t like the goose as it is that I don’t feel comfortable with the process I’m using to draw it. First, I don’t like the paper. It’s 140lb cold press watercolor paper. It’s the backside of a spoiled painting, and it’s covered with fingerprints. Didn’t consider that when I started. The Charcoal background is a mess. It’s too dark, uneven, and blotchy . Even when I used fixative on the background when I finished with it, it still seems to get into everything. I draw with a .05 mech pencil and the tiny point seems to get into the depressions and snag up. A regular pencil skips over the depressions, and is even worse. And everything seems to dark. Other than that, I don’t know why I’m uncomfortable with it.

Judi, your wolf is neat, and I understand why your frustration with the posting process as far as scanners and digi cameras are concerned. I guess nothing likes a graphite drawing except on the easel or the wall.

Mary your bug is great. I guess it’s a bug rather than a beetle. It looks so much like a soft shelled pesky but we call a Box Elder Bug. It’s everywhere, in everything, and clinging to everything. Makes a nice drawing though. Very intricate .

More goose posting later.

Ps/ Hope this posting makes it. Tried 3 time, but each time PC locked up. only does every time I try to post in WC. Don't know why. Had to do this in Word.

Chuck

Mary Woodul
07-13-2005, 03:20 PM
AAAKKKKKKKKK, this is a challenge, but you gave me a good idea with jewelry. :eek: :D :wave:

JayD
07-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Consider this--once you are finished you can take it to a jeweler or artisan and have it made into a beautiful orignal brooch.

mhimeswc
07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi Chuck! Whatever made you decide to do your goose drawing on cold press watercolor paper? No wonder you have been struggling! I hope you try the goose again on more suitable paper. It is a good try, and the skill is there. It would be super on good drawing paper.

Michelle

chaz
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
michelle, I was going to throw the spoiled painting away, but the back side kept saying "do something with me", so I did. As the old saying goes, "it seemed like the thing to do at the time."

anyway. It was good experience. You learn as much by learning what not to do as you do by learning what to do.

Will probably redo the goose on Bristol latter.

Thanks for commenting! By the way will finish on the 140 anyway

Chuck

Judi1957
07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Evening All :wave:

I have been so-o-o-o frustrated with the camera issue I went to the photograpy forum.

They were quiet helpful. I see some improvement in the quality of the drawing photos already, not a fabulous change, but an improvement just the same. Here's the thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3694763#post3694763) if anyone is interested. Have 3 responses so far, may get more. My biggest error seems to be being too close to the drawing with the camera.

JayD
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Everybody is looking really good here. I have something new in store for you next week. Heh...heh...heh....

Anita Murphy
07-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Good JayD - cos I failed big time at this one. *Hangs head in shame*

Mary Woodul
07-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Everybody is looking really good here. I have something new in store for you next week. Heh...heh...heh....

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm :evil:

Chuck, I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me so now I try to use smoother papers for charcoal and graphite.

Hi Judi, Anita and Michelle.

JayD, I'll start my jewelry bug in the morning with a fresh head. :D :wave:

SILKNSATIN
07-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Thank you all. :D
Chuck mary judi fantastic work. :clap:

Cathie Jones
07-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi everybody - from beautiful Mammoth Lakes, CA - where it's all trees and water in the gorgeous Sierras.

Looks like everyone (except me) is doing great with the animals. We haven't slowed down enough for much artwork here.

Here's a pic that shows how beautiful it is here, and an animal to kee in context. I'll have lots of landscapes to post in the RIL when we get back, and a dog sled that you're gonna love!!

:music: Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band; Won't you take a ride on the flying spoon . . . :music:

Did I tell you the altitude here is 8,500'? Kinda puts you in a Creedence frame of mind . . . thanks, JayD!! :D

phoebecat
07-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Mary, your bug is beautiful. You inspired me to try one of my own and now I'm hooked. I want to draw more bugs!

Michelle, I really like your polar bear. You did a great job on the fur. He looks really fuzzy.

Sultry, your bear and unicorn drawing is great. It has a moody, surreal quality to it.

Chuck, your pronghorn is great and I love the goose too.

Silknsatin, the birds and snake are beautiful. Colored pencils terrify me.

Judi, I love your wolf. He has such a kind expression on his face. The fur is great.

I'm going to post my beetle in progress.

SILKNSATIN
07-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Cathie beautiful photos.As long as you are having fun with what ever you are doing them your artwork can wait.Umm I can hear it crying out for you now.Teehee :wave:
Phoebecat nice beetle. :clap:
I posted this in another thread but figured I should put it in here to.It's a redtail hawk.Did get alittle more done on the other birf but still have a ways to go and it's a larger piece.

Anita Murphy
07-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Bon - wow - totally stunning.

Phoebecat - super bug!

Judi - you are a star! That fur is amazing!

CJ - I have failed completely at this class too. Might make myself do something this afternoon but no-one hold their breath! :D

Mary Woodul
07-14-2005, 04:16 PM
CJ, you must be having a wonderful time. Those pictures look so inviting.

Phoebe, aren't bugs nice to draw and yours is a petty nice chiny beetle. I love the you shading on it.

Bon, your hawk is so fantastic, I have no words to describe it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anita Murphy
07-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I refuse to be beaten!! Failed with fur so I thought I would take the easy way out - since when have wrinkles been the easy way??????
I grew up in Kenya, with the privilege of seeing elephants in the wild. Every year on our way for our vacation at the coast we would pass an area where the elephants roamed across the road. It was always the challenge to see who could spot them first. They were incredibly well camouflaged having mud bathed in the red mud and so blended well into the countryside.

SILKNSATIN
07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Thank you all.
Anita your elephant is fantastic. :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Awe, Anita, I love your elephant and your story. He looks so sad and tired, it is touching.

Judi1957
07-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Evening All

Hi CJ! :wave: Beautiful scene and horse----can't wait to see the dogsled! Glad you can still keep in contact with us-hope you are having a marvelous time!

Hi Chuck! :wave:

Hi Mary :wave: -can't wait to see your bug!

Phoebe-Love the bug too :clap:

Anita! Woweeeee! What fantastic texture you are getting there! :clap: :clap:
That must have been so awesome to see all that wildlife!

Bon, Love the birds-especially the first one. The highlights are supercalifragalisticexpalidocious!!!!! :clap: :clap:

ty for the compliment on the wolf :) -but i don't like his mouth and his nose is crooked-and I am not happy with the wc of the dall sheep-starting something new tonight I think.. :(

mhimeswc
07-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Bon, Wow! That hawk closeup is awesome! :clap:

Phoebecat - the beatle is terrific, and he looks like he's smiling. :)

Anita, I think wrinkles would be even harder than fur. Nice job on your elephant, although I think he could use a little more shading.

Michelle

darlingart
07-15-2005, 03:29 AM
It looks like I have returned the the drawing part of Wetcanvas at the right time - I love drawing animals, and I love looking at others animal artwork just as much and I have to say that I am really loving this thread and seeing everyones work! Hopefully I will get a chance to post a couple of my pieces before this lesson finishes! Might have to post a couple of old ones though, I have only just returned to my art after a very long break (18+months).

Michelle

Mary Woodul
07-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi Everyone! :wave: I'm working on my bug, but I can't seem to make silver shine with colored pencil.......helppppppppp!!!!! :( :wave:

SILKNSATIN
07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Thank you all.
Hi michelle :wave:
Mary use a little white in area's first then over it lightly with gray then over again with white then darken your grey area's where they are to be dark.
Thought i'd try another head shot.Scanned this one as I went along.
Decided to start out with the eyes first on this one.Now i'll have to use fixative or paper to cover that area so I don't smear.grrr

Judi1957
07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Welcome back Michelle, so glad to have you! :clap:

Hi Mary and Michelle! :wave:

Bon, Fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anita Murphy
07-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Oh WOW Bon - thank you for showing the stages! I have no idea how you do it, but you do it so well! :D

Thank you all for comments on my elephant.

Mary Woodul
07-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Judi, Anita and Bon.

Bon you owl is coming along beautifully. The eyes and those fine little whites on the face are awesome.

Thank you Bon for the tip, I will try that. :wave:

Mary Woodul
07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't know if I got the transparency or the silvery sheen. THe wings are supposed to be silver also and it doesn't look like it. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2005/43096-IMG_2143.JPG

Anita Murphy
07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Mary - you are doing great! I love the colours! Don't forget that photos/scans and different monitors play havoc with images so we will all see something slightly different and only you really know what it is like. I love the joints that you have done - they look very mechanical! I think JayD is right - you should take this and have it made into a piece of jewellery!

SILKNSATIN
07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Thank you all. :wave:
Mary wow you did a fantastic job on it and yes it looks silerish to me gf.Woohoo pat yourself on back. :clap:

mhimeswc
07-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Bon, I your owl is super, and I love those eyes! How do you get them to sparkle like that?

Mary, your mechanical/jewelry bug is fascinating. The silver looks like silver to me. Are the legs made out of gems?

Michelle (I see there are two of us again) :)

Judi1957
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Mary :wave:
Beautiful job! :clap: :clap: I think you need to have Beto get one made into a broach-the joints should be diamonds!

Hi Michelle, Bon and Anita :wave:

Well-like you Anita I didn't want JayD to give me a bad grade :eek: so I started a cp drawing. I got it from a book so I think I will not be posting this one further due to copyright. I did e-mail the artist, but haven't heard back yet. :( .
But I did fall back in love with colored pencil tonight. :)
This is a good 2 1/2 hours worth at least. Its the start of an oragutan. Not supposed to be real life-but he is so-o-o adorable and always wanted to draw him.
The origin of the word orangutan is derived from the Indonesian and Malaysian words for person (orang) and forest (hutan). Literally it means “person of the forest”. Thought that was interesting. :)

Mary Woodul
07-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Thank you Anita, Bon, Michelle and Judi.

Judi, I love the way that is coming along. It's hair looks so fluffy. The derivative of the name is interesting.

mhimeswc
07-16-2005, 12:30 AM
He's looking good, Judi, and he has such an adorable face.

Michelle

darlingart
07-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi everyone! :wave: Wow, this is a popular thread, I can't keep up:)

Bon - those eyes and feathers are unbelievably fantastic!

Mary, that bug is looking great, and I think the silver wings look great.

I finally got a chance to add some pics of the Bullmastiff I am doing at the moment, at this stage I was up to nearly 30 hours, have probably done another five hours on the other side of his face since these pics...and seem to have lost the plot a bit. Hopefully I will get some more done tonight and will be able to rescue what I have done since I took these pics.

I'd guess that I still have 10% at least to do everywhere except the eyes which are pretty much the only finished thing (except for final touch ups). The second crop is what I am thinking of using if this one ends up good enough to be framed, but I am open to any suggestions:)

Judi1957
07-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Morning.

Guess we'll have to call you darling Michelle so not to get confused with our other Michelle.
Wow-you are fantastic! Love the bullmastiff! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did a little more work and got a daylight pic.

Mary Woodul
07-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Morning! :wave:

Michelle, your bullmastiff is looking incerdible. The eyes and folds of the skin, are awsome. I would definitely frame it.

Judi, the expression in the eyes is so cute and one would really want to put a hand in that fluffy hair.

Anita Murphy
07-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Darling Michele - HOW do you do that????? I guess I am really just not cut out for animals though I really don't want to be beaten by fur. I think I am going to have to go hang out in the animal forum to see if I can pick up any tips. I thought just wrinkles were bad on the elephant but wrinkles and fur??? That is way beyond me. Super stuff!

Judi - you too seem to have this pinned down too! I am green with envy. Maybe this is what I should do today - study fur!

lullrich76
07-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am just beginning to learn to draw and I started this class in October and then haven't been online since January, so I am a bit behind. I did find the PDF's of the past weeks, so I downloaded them and plan to catch up.

I drew a swan and I really would like feedback on what I can do better and how. I feel that my drawings are flat and I would really like to know how to get them to pop.
Here is my reference image and I have attached my drawings.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2005/51061-swan_reference

mhimeswc
07-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Michelle, the wrinkles on your pup are fabulous. I can't wait to see more of him.

lullrich76, I think you have done what I usually do, and that is to quit too soon. You need darker darks, and a smoother transition from light to dark. And you might want to darken the background behind the white edges of your swan. The initial drawing is fine. Just needs more work.

Michelle

Judi1957
07-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi lullrich! :wave:
Welcome back. Wow that must have been way back in Class 1 and 2. :eek: Glad to have you back. :)

Nice line drawings. That is what you have but I see you really have attempted to shade-good work. The thing you want to do is make a greyscale bar of pencil with densities. I've attached a sample greyscale to show you an example of what it is to do for you-and that is to give you a scale of building your light to darks. Start at 'square 1' and shade ever so lightly-barely there. Then as you move to your right go over it with another layer of pencil shading. Graduating to more layers as you go-try not to have an obvious separation of values-smooth going into the next dark. It is best if you do layers instead of increasing pressure as increasing pressure breaks down the tooth of the paper and you will be limited to the darkness you achieve. Note that there is a point '0' (zero) at the beginning of the scale-these would be your lightest pencil layers-the light part of your drawing. Then a '1/2' notation-this would be the midtone values of your drawing and '1' (one) being the darkest. I did not do a complete geyscale-you want to build your layers so the values on the right are really DARK.Try the swan again. Making your outline ever so light and build your swan with nothing but values/layering.
As you are using pencil-it is very very helpful to make a greyscale of your reference to closley observe so that you are putting the correct tones/values/quantity of layers where they need to be. I made a greyscale of the swan-but your image was so small I am afraid there is a lot of distortion. If you can't make a greyscale-maybe you can post a larger referennce image (max 500 pixels wide X 600 pixels high) and we can make you a better greyscale than the one I attached.

It is recommended you do go and do the first 5 classes. Stay with us as you like but to the other Classes as well. They will be really advantagous to you. I promise.

Thanks Mary and Anita. :)

Hi Michelle :wave:

JayD
07-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Good Advice, judi--welcome back lullich76--I am glad you decided to rejoin us. I can watch swans for hours--they look like floating watering cans. There is a Victorian elegance to this creature that just appeals to me. I think you have the shape and curve down nicely. Work on your values--always values. I have problems with the Big V myself so NOW and this is just recently, I have started doing a value chart before each drawing--I am finally learning that it is very key to plan your drawing out before committing it to paper. How far are you planning on taking this one--its a very good start.

JayD
07-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Judi, nice work on the Gorilla. My daughter and I were sitting around chatting last night in my studio and we were discussing what kind of animals the people were that we knew. Jen decided that Jan was a platypus, that she (Jen) was a hyena and that I was a gorilla. I am not sure how to take that. Your gorilla is just beautiful--I dont know what has happened with you but it is like you just exploded with artfulness--you are having an amazing quality of production. Wonderful!

JayD
07-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Mary, nice work--you designed an amazing piece of jewelry--you should go down to a crafts store on a scavenger hunt and see if you can put this together. We have a place down here called Beads of a Feather but you could easily do this with beads I think and some silver wire--I would have to think about the wings...hmmmm.

Bon--thanks for the owl. I like to see more work posted in the class like this because we get to see the artist's progression to the finished piece but also because we can follow along and try to recreate the work right along with you. Beautiful as usual!

JayD
07-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Anita, the fact that you said you failed and went ahead an did a piece anyway makes you one big winner in my book. The elephant is outstanding and I love the story about kenya. Where do people who live in Kenya go for vacation--I mean they are already there! So where would they go--Lizard Lick, NC?

CJ--you caught me!! lOVE CCR!!!!!

lullrich76
07-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Michelle and Judi--Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. I will try creating a values chart and try it again. I really don't know much about drawing and have surprised myself with some of my attempts, so I will keep with it.

Jay--Thanks for the input. I got busy with buying a house and wasn't online that much, but I am trying to get back into drawing. I really want to be able to draw anything freehand. That is my goal. I don't know I will take this drawing as far as it will let me go.

Lisa :)

Cathie Jones
07-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Hi! We're home a day early - and exhausted. Everyone's work is looking so great!

Looking forward to tomorrow's new lesson (I think :rolleyes: )!

Anita Murphy
07-16-2005, 09:38 PM
JayD - if you live 400 miles up country at 8000ft above sea level - then the beach sounds pretty good for vacation in Kenya! :D

sultry
07-17-2005, 06:42 PM

CJ, nice photos, looks like you had some beautiful scenery to enjoy. Glad your back, missed ya.

Chuck your goose looks good.

Phoebe you have a good rendering of a bug there.

Anita, wow gf, you were just teasing us, that you could not draw an animal. That elephant is great. It looks like elephant hide to me. How neat to live so close to them too.

Hiyas Michelle (darline) & Welcome back. I like your work in your signature but ohhh to see such a great wip in cp of a realistic dog is wonderful.

Bon, I love the eyes of your owl, gf, they are perfect.

Mary, your bugs wow gf, you have really made cp look easy. I think your realistic bug is very convincing (it gave me chills).
I agree with Jay, you should make your designed beatle yourself. Oh for wings you could use thin, thin screen. You can find that at a Do it Yourself Hardware store.

Judi, what can I say gf, I really admire your ability to use all mediums but you are very very good with cp. This Orangutan is really looking great.

Lisa, Hi Welcome and such a pretty swan, I think Judi gave you a great tip. Don't worry, if you take the classes in sequence you will learn the gradual tones and understand how to apply them.

Jay, If you want to see the progress on my pic, you can check out here (http://www.geocities.com/simirtst/JUDITHSGALLERY3.html?1121635546906).

Judi1957
07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Sults! :wave:
Love your website-I see so many hidden images-so cool!

Hi CJ - Glad you are back! :wave:

Fireman's kid
07-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone! :wave: I'm back from vacation and had a wonderful and relaxing time. The weather was great and it was so nice to be by the ocean. I did sketch a seagull since I had promised to do one, but of course they wouldn't come close enough for long enough for me to do a "real" drawing. :rolleyes: I also sketched a little girl and a beach bucket, but that's about all the drawing I did.

One night I tried working on a drawing of a dog. I had done the outline years ago but never got back to it. What I realized is that I am stumped by fur too! (See Anita, you are not alone!) I think I will try it in charcoal first and then redo it in graphite. But it will be some time until I get back to it. My commission is due in 2 weeks so I will be painting every spare minute I get. (Back to the world of color. :D )

Everyone has posted such great animal drawing here.
Mary - your bug was great but I really love the mechanical version. You sure met that challenge head on. And I agree you should have it made into a pin.

Michelle (Darlingart) - your Bullmastiff is fantastic! I love the expression - what a cutie pie. :)

Phoebe - your beetle is very good. I like the shine on the back of the shell.

Anita - I'm glad you perserveered and did the elephant drawing. I think this is why the class is so great. We all want to keep up with our classmates and no one wants to disappoint JayD so we don't give up as easily as we might if we were working on our own.

Judi - That is one cute orangutan! I think JayD said it best...
I dont know what has happened with you but it is like you just exploded with artfulness--you are having an amazing quality of production. Wonderful!

Bon - Thanks for sharing the WIP of the owl. All of your birds are fantastic!

Chuck - congrats on sticking with the goose despite your difficulties. I've heard other people mention that they draw on watercolor paper and wondered how that could work with all of the bumps. I think after your experience I'll stick with smooth paper. Just remember, we are not experiencing your struggle so he looks better to us than he does to you. :)

CJ - Welcome back! :wave: That first picture is beautiful! Hope you had a nice vacation.

Lisa - Welcome back to 101! The one thing I noticed about your drawing is that you haven't follow the same shading as the reference picture shows. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. If you are trying to shade like the reference just remember to draw what you see not what you think you should draw. Many times the two are not the same.

Jay - tell me that your mention of next week's class didn't include an evil laugh! :eek: I'm glad I got my "I've got to paint" excuse in nice and early. :D

Speaking of which...I gotta go. :wave:

Mary Woodul
07-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Good evening everyone! We just got back from the ranch so I am behind on all of the posts but I did want to thank you all for you comments on my bug and the work everyone is doing is great.

Thank you JayD, for putting me up to the challenge, now you're getting me interested in making jewelry. Plenty of silversmiths where I live. :D :wave:

JayD
07-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Staci!! for you!--- :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am writing the class right now!

Mary--I am glad that I could contribute--You have a real knack for design--I suspected that you did and I wanted to see. Good idea that Sults had for the wings and such. :)

Sults--love the drawing's progress and am I the ONLY one who doesn't have a website!!! :D

Mary Woodul
07-17-2005, 10:53 PM
[QUOTe=

Sults--love the drawing's progress and am I the ONLY one who doesn't have a website!!! :D[/QUOTE]

I don't either, JayD.

Sults, sorry forgot to mention that, but you idea is excellent on the wings and would make it more exquisite. :D

Mary Woodul
07-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Sults, I could see why JayD was talking about a website but I finally saw the link. It looking beautiful and you have not lost the dream like feel it has. :D

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 08:08 AM
See you all in the next class - You all seriously amazed me on this one!

Stacy - glad I am not on my own when it comes to fur!

Blah
07-18-2005, 03:29 PM

I have just finished scanning about 50 posts that have been added since my last visit to the class.

Phoebecat....nice sektch; I like the way you have used the shaded background to bring out the bug's legs.

Mary....the brooch in the making is terrific.

Anita....I agree with Jay. You deserve extra credit for your elephant. Incidentally the elephant hide has come out well.

Bon....as usual terrific sketches, and thanks for the demo.

Judi...I hope the artist / photographer sends the consent soon. Your cp looks very, very promising.

Cathie and Stacy.....glad to know you had a lovely, relaxing time.

Lisa & Michelle (D)....Glad to have you with us.

Lisa...I have the same problem. It is an effort for me to get my drawings dark with a greater range of values but the results are really worth it.

Michelle (D)....wonderful drawing.

I hope I haven't left out anyone's work. If I have, it is totally unintentional.

I am attaching a graphite sketch (4B mechanical pencil) of a photograph by CRIAS from our RIL. My thanks to Crias for making this image available to us.

Blah

sultry
07-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey Blah, this deer is beautiful I really do think you have improved so much in your getting looser with your rendering. Your work is looking very realistic. :)

Judi, I hope you hear from that person too.

Jay, Its just a silly geocities website that after too many hits it shuts down for an hour. If I paid for it, it would stay open. I can help you start one up if you want to, pm me.

Mary, I can just see it now, jewerly designed by our Mary. :)
Ty Judi, Jay & Mary

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Blah - sweet Bambi!

Everyone seems to have got the hang of fur really well - think I will have to return to this.

Judi1957
07-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Blah! :wave: :wave:
Long time no see-glad you are back! :clap: :clap:
Nice deer I agree. :clap: I also like how you have her (that is Bambi-right?) in the snow and the twigs sticking up thru.

Thanks guys-no word yet. JayD had sugested I get also contact with the publisher-so I have done that too. If that doesn't work-oh well-no posting. Anyway, it'll hang in Maggie's college apartment as she has claimed it.-which is good-gives me 5 weeks to finish.

mhimeswc
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Nice job on the deer, Blah.

Michelle

chaffee
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Great job by all on the animals.
Heaps of talent aboard here!

In case any of you are interested, I scanned a few more of my earlier attempts....

chaffee
07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
oops!

chaffee
07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Don't mind that sideways bear up there, slight braincramp on my part.
The lion below was actually something I did for as a cover for a sales contest.

Thanks,
Tim

Blah
07-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Sultry, Anita, Judi and Michelle....thank you for the encouraging words.

Tim...your drawings are just awesome :clap: I like the first set more, in spite of the sideways posting :D

Blah

Troy Rochford
07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I know, I know... late entry, but somehow I missed this thread until now. :o

This is about a year old but is the most recent animal work. As for the bad crop, that was necessary in order to post the image. (Edit: I also just noticed that the posted image shows a blurred, greenish type hue... no clue what that's about, but it's not on the original!)

Judi1957
07-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Aww Troy he is adorable! :clap:
Better late than never.
Thanks for posting him!

Wonder what he ate-he's green-LOL!
Can you try to post him again?

chaz
07-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Cute doggie there Troy. Probably a bad scan on the green, But do you have a cat? Did you feed the cat with out feeding him. I mean, maybe's he's green with envy?LOL

And I think these classes go on for ever or therabouts. So there's really no such thing as late posting.

Chuck

JayD
07-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I know about bad crops guys--I drew this nude talking to a dragon and cropped off the top of the head. Bad crop but I still like the picture.

I dont thing the dog is that bad of a crop--it still looks really good.

HI TIM!! Sideways bear,eh? My wife is Danish--she has this coat of arms with a Bear in the field and on the top of the shield is a boar's head. That looks like the bear.

Hey, you two--move along to 23 and draw me some glass!!!!

Troy Rochford
07-20-2005, 10:51 PM
I know about bad crops guys--I drew this nude talking to a dragon and cropped off the top of the head. Bad crop but I still like the picture.

I dont thing the dog is that bad of a crop--it still looks really good.

HI TIM!! Sideways bear,eh? My wife is Danish--she has this coat of arms with a Bear in the field and on the top of the shield is a boar's head. That looks like the bear.

Hey, you two--move along to 23 and draw me some glass!!!!

Hey Jay I was all set to do that glass on black paper that I mentioned to you... and then I ran into the slight prob of not being able to find my freaking black paper!!!! :mad:

Have no fear, though. I'm about to spend about an hour scribbling out some sort of glass representation with trusty charcoal or graphite, and we'll just see if it is worthy of allowing other humans to see it! Stay tuned...

lullrich76
07-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Everyone's drawings are so beautiful! I have done some more work on my swan, here it is!

Lisa

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Lisa - SUPER swan! Very elegant drawing of an elegant fowl.

My wife is Danish--she has this coat of arms with a Bear in the field and on the top of the shield is a boar's head.

I'm half Danish and my coat of arms is two swans holding a ring.