PDA

View Full Version : First try at Scratchboard: Spirit of Africa

Leenashorses
07-04-2005, 04:12 PM
x-posted to Animal&Wildlife forum

Hiya :wave:

Got a bit curious about the scratchboard and my art supply store actually had a few small sheets. So I thought what the hey - Iīll give it a shot.
This is not my normal subject (horses) as I wanted some change. So I thought why not try a lion.
I like close cropped work so thatīs what I did.
This is not completely ready yet, I shall be working on the nose area some more to get the face in better balance. Also I am wondering should I color this or not.
Scratched my ear wondering what should I call this and the only thing I could think of was Spirit of Arfica. So here he is. (Size A4 - the office paper size)

Leena :)

Mary Woodul
07-04-2005, 07:59 PM
It is so realistic. The transparency you achieved in the right eye is incredible. I would also crosspost it in the drawing and sketching forum.

Sorry, I just noticed you have already crossposted it.

quirky
07-04-2005, 09:07 PM
In my very first job many many years ago, my boss used to use this stuff. He called it scraperboard and he used a scalpel to scrape into it. You really have to be able to draw well to use it succesfully I think. Obviously you draw very well. ;) If I were you I wouldn't colour it. I think let the materials you used stand for themselves. It is fantastic.

Brian Bartow
07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Leena:
Your scratchboard lion is beautiful. I showed it to my daughter and she also gave it high praise: "Dang!" I believe that is teenage for excellent.
Brian

Leenashorses
07-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Heehee - "Dang!". Good to learn teenage language :D

But really - it was so much fun. I sort of forgot time completely scraping with that scalpel (we had one in the house as hubby draws plans for houses and before AutoCAD they used to draw on transparent plastic and then with a scalpel scrape off the parts that needed changing). It was so much fun :) So far Iīve used 10 hours into this.

Leena

Penny220
07-07-2005, 08:16 AM
VERY, VERY nice! I am envious of how you rendered the eyes in scratchboard. I hope you enjoyed this medium and continue to work with it. Your first is most impressive.

Jakeally
07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Very well done .... its great :clap: :clap:

Leenashorses
07-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I had no idea how I should handle the eyes so I just did tiny nicks with the tip of the scalpel, not bigger than needlemarks. And it seemed to do the work.

But as I was warned at the animal & wildlife -forum: this is addictive! I love doing a lot of detail and you surely can acieve amazing amount of detail with scratchboard.

Oh, for those who really know about scratchboard: what is the difference between clayboard and scratchboard? Are they the same thing?

Leena :)

Penny220
07-07-2005, 12:30 PM
clayboard is white while scratchboard is black. The purpose of clayboard is that you can paint it both on top of the surface and through the scratches adding the best of both worlds. Clayboard is a popular medium but not limited to airbrushing.

yogi
09-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I know this is digging up an old thread, but I'm a new visitor to this forum and have to look at EVERYTHING while here. Just HAD to comment on this one, too. Wow! This one is actually making me interested in scratchboard, something I didn't think would really capture my interest. Absolutely gorgeous work! The eyes, as others have said, truly are incredible! I can hear him breathing even!

TheBlueBetween
09-13-2005, 12:41 PM
wow - first time's a charm - this is beautiful!

Obedec
09-13-2005, 11:32 PM
It's lovely, addicted yet? LOL
Wait until you try color on it. Or, get clayboard (the white kind) and watercolor, acrylic, ink it what ever and then scratch the details out. I have several color pieces floating around through wet canvas as well as several just black and one done on clayboard. Right now I'm working on a chicken...it's going to be my christmas card.
Karen H
Persistance Pays

valchina612
09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
WOW, this is great Leena. You will have to do more, as you have a very natural talent for it. Love it. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave: