PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble July 4 Thru 10

K Taylor-Green
07-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Good morning, all and Happy Fourth of July!! If you get a chance, stop in on this busy day! Here is where we visit and talk about ourselves, families, friends, pets, and kids. Looking forward to talking with you!

I'll stop back and check on everyone later!

Paula Ford
07-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi Kate and good morning everybody! Happy 4th of July:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's a rainy day here in Chattanooga, but it's really mild and warm. Supposed to be this way all week. It's so beautiful here, green and plush!

I haven't painted in a couple of months because there is no room in my house to set up a studio and the new job has kept me extremely busy... but this weekend I started setting up my sewing/studio room in a small bedroom that was supposed to be a guest room. Couldn't stand it any more not being able to create! Guests are just going to have to sleep on the couch :D Hopefully today I'll start sketching and/or sewing. YIPPY!!

Hope all is well with everyone!!

Happy painting and happy 4th!!

Paula

tURBOCAT
07-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Happy 4th to ALL!!

It's good to be back in the middle of a pastel project. Got sidelined by 2 big pastel fiascos and took a trip down the abstract art path for a week or so to clear the brain.

Then the past week was spent doing a photo session for a art glass catalog (for a client - you know, the day job!).

Now back where I belong - doing a classic car this time. Went to a gathering of antique cars on Friday night to get more source material.

Here's a WIP snippet of the current piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/46554-pontiac2WC.jpg

Have a great holiday. I have time to paint today - yipee!!

Johnnie

angecald
07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Happy Fourth of July to all you Americans!

We had two days of perfect weather, sunny but not too hot, and not humid. I did some plein air sketching both days, and hope to continue today although the temperature and humidity are going up. The goal is to get out every day in July.

I'm printing postcards to send to galleries, but the photo paper I bought is way too thin. I may have to go back to the store.

Paula, I know that game of spare-room roulette. :) There's nothing like a door you can close. I'm sure your guests will understand.

Johnnie, nice to see you working in pastel. That piece looks intriguing. I'll be watching for more.

Happy painting, everybody.

CM Neidhofer
07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Happy 4th everyone!

Piper Ballou
07-04-2005, 12:45 PM
I have been watching stories today of our service men and women saying hello to their families here in the states. I am humbled and very grateful for the freedom I enjoy and the sacrifice they have made so I can enjoy this freedom, their stories have really touched my heart today.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July
piper

eyre
07-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Happy 4th of July!!

It is a good day for me - I'm recovering from shingles. They were on my right arm, so I didn't do anything with pastels until last night :) It's nice to have my arm back in order! :)

Hope everyone is safe and happy today!!

(I also think this is my first posting to the weekly scumble)

K Taylor-Green
07-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Welcome eyre!! Hope we see more of you here.

No painting for me today. :( We are supposed to go to the in-laws later, but Jess is working on the pump. We have no water!! I hope this doesn't last long.

Now yesterday was something else. My nephew, Scot and his new wife Jessica
are up from Florida. They had a small ceremony on a boat a couple of monthes ago. But they came up here for their vacation, and to hold a reception and a walk through of the ceremony for family and friends.
What a party!! A huge roasted hog, tons of sides and drinks, games for kids and adults. This was all held at my sister's. She has a lovely place with lots of room. People started arriving about 2:00 in the afternoon, and some were staying the night. The ceremony was at sunset on the back deck. Directly after "You may kiss the bride" fireworks were set off. Then a huge fireworks show when it was totally dark. Big ones, like you see at professional shows. My sister said that there were enough fireworks in the basement to blow the house off the foundation!!
Luckily all went well, they were all used, and no one got hurt. It sure was a blast. There must have been 100 people there, half of whom our side of the family did not know!. I'm sure the younger set partied most of the night, but Jess and I were home by 11:30. We set up for awhile, and then the electric went off!! This is how we found out we have a leak in the pump somewhere, and brings us back to no water. Don't know why the power was down. It was off for a couple of hours.
The day has got to end better!!

khourianya
07-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, let's breakout the champagne and party hats...the school board called today and I have officially got the job. More money, better union, full benefits from day one, 3 weeks vacation to start and permanence after 6 months. I could not be happier. I don't start until mid-August, but I know it is coming up so I am quite thrilled.

Just thought I'd pop in and let you all know!

Kathryn Day
07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Hooray for you Cori!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Now, do you get time off until the new job starts, that would be great. Are you getting your new studio ready for lots of painting? Isn't it great when things work out, I am very happy for you.

CM Neidhofer
07-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Congratulations Cori!!! :clap:

Khadres
07-05-2005, 12:05 AM
YAY, CORI!!!! You deserve a better spot! Those folks you work for now don't deserve you! Woohoo!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-05-2005, 12:42 AM
HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!! A little late because I had to work today - but had a fun evening, at least for us - :) We went for hot fudge sundaes and took a walk at the lake and sat and watched some local fireworks. A saw a wonderful sight tonight and wished I could paint it - maybe I will pose in my composition thread.

Anyhooo, we were sitting on a bench at the lake and I noticed this huge tree all lit up with fireflies - it looks like Christmas lights going on and off - like jewelry for the tree. It was magical. Wonder if I could pull that off - it was awfully dark.

CONGRATS TO CORI! IT'S ABOUT TIME - :rolleyes:

See ya tomorrow.

khourianya
07-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys! :D I haven't decided if I will take a load of time off. I would certainly like to...perhaps i will take the first 2 weeks of August off and enjoy a bit of time before my big transition.

Khadres
07-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Yes, Cori, you deserve a break and could doubtless use the time to put your new house in order, as well as paint!

Kat, you simply MUST try doing that tree! I can see it in either oilies or softies on maybe some black Somerset paper? Or dark dark blue Canson....or pre-darkened Wallis...or...doesn't matter! Just be sure and do it! :D I LOVE fireflies!!!

Deborah Secor
07-05-2005, 01:08 AM
We are so blessed to live in a free country! Happy July 4th to all of you!

YAY Cori!!! I knew it would happen... glad to have that all settled!! Sounds like the best choice for you.

Good grief, Kate. Hang in there. We've been through lots of water woes, too, so I can relate! No fun... Hope it all gets resolved quickly. I hate those warm water sponge baths after about a week. We rigged up a solar shower one time. Hardly worth the effort unless you're without for a good long time. At least the water sprinkled from overhead--but no one would call that water HOT!

Hi eyre. Man, shingles are about the worst, aren't they? So glad you're over them now!

Kat--nocturnes are really fun to do, but that sounds pretty challenging to me just because it's so unusual. Do you have a photo? I remember fireflies fondly. We don't have them here... For me they're a poignant reminder of childhood summers at my Grammy's house in Iowa!

I'm painting! I realize now how infrequently I've been painting lately by comparison. I'll show you more soon...

Deborah

angecald
07-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Hooray for Cori!!! :clap: :clap: They are so lucky to get you!

Kate, your family sure knows how to throw a party! Tons of sympathy on the water situation. About five minutes of that is all anybody needs. I sure hope you can get it fixed soon.

Eyre, welcome to the scumble. I've heard shingles are really nasty. Glad they're getting better.

Kat, that sounds like a wonderful scene. You might want to check Duane Keiser's Painting-a-Day blog. He did a little oil painting of fireflies in his backyard recently, and it is magical. The date of the painting is June 16, and here's the link. www.duanekeiser.blogspot.com

K Taylor-Green
07-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeaaa, Cori! Congrats on finally getting the job of your dreams!

Well, the water is back on. The job took all day, and Jess is still very tired from working all day in the heat and humidity. But at least he could take a shower!

Dee, Can't imagine a week without water. Guess I'm spoiled by where I live.

Kat, It would be neat to see you try that night scene. It would be a real challenge to get the fireflys to read as fireflys instead of small lights.

After such a hectic weekend, I just want peace and quiet. I wonder if I will get it. :rolleyes:

Khadres
07-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Agnes, June 16 appears to be a powdered donut from my end of the net, but wow...thanks for the link to this. This guy's little daily ptgs are a real inspiration! Wish I could've found the fire flies!

scall0way
07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Paula, wise choice. A nice studio/sewing room is going to see a lot more use than a guest room!

Eyre, I'm sorry about the shingles. That sounds painful. :(

Cori, I'm happy about your job. I'll have to go back to read previous scumbles to be sure which job it was, as I can't recall right now which was which. :)

My weekend was lovely. I went to an outdoor concert and fireworks at a local park on Friday night with two friends, and Saturday night went with same two friends to a play at an open-air theater (Into The Woods, a really wonderful production) and as a bonus got to see fireworks off in the distance as well. I love fireworks.

Sunday my son and his wife and puppy came out from Manhattan to spend the holiday at her parent's house, and I took them to dinner that night, and on the 4th itself I went to my daughter-in-law's parent's house for a BBQ. It was fun and as usual they had tons of food, and lots of people there, mostly from their church. I brought a key lime pie and it was a hit. I was invited to stay for the fireworks in the evening but I had been there since 1 PM and had to get home to walk my dogs.

However, as I was on the PC last night I began to hear the booms from the fireworks in the next town, and I went outdoors and walked to the park down the street from my house, and to a small bridge crossing a stream -and from mid-bridge I had a perfect view of the fireworks, and got to watch the show from there without being subjected to the cheesy music they always play with the fireworks display. :)

And not only that, I also got to paint two pictures, both with the new Holbein oil pastels I bought myself! Two pictures and three fireworks displays, pretty good.

Debbie C.

DLJohnson
07-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi all,

Stumbled into the scumble. It's fun to read all that is going on since I am just getting to know everyone in pastels. I happened to have seen the fireflies mentioned at Duane Keiser's site so thought I'd post it for reference, I don't think he would mind. Or am I in big trouble?

Donna

khourianya
07-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Well - after much thought, i gave my notice at work today. A whole month. My last day at the college will be August 5. I will take a week and a half off to relax and paint and then I'll start the new job.

I was surprised at the reactions i got to my announcement. people kept hugging me and one of my top administrators burst into tears and said she didn't think there would be another "Cori" out there to fill my shoes. It was a really happy and a really sad day for me.

Deborah Secor
07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Nah, no problem, Donna! That is a really smashing painting. Less is MORE.

We have BIG problems with carpenter ants in our bathroom. :( Now, mind you, they aren't usually a problem here since it's so dry, but we had a leak that went unnoticed and then unfixed. The wood in the floor and wall is spongy and now a whole colony of ants has taken up residence. I couldn't believe how many ants there were in our bathroom!!! It looks like the whole shower is infested... and we may have to drill up into the floor from the garage/shop below. Hope that's all. I had ant nightmares all night long... The exterminator comes Thursday.

<sigh>

Deborah

eyre
07-05-2005, 11:53 PM
dee, I hate ants!! We have a problem with ants in the late spring every single season! And every year we have to set out ant killer! Hope you get them taken care of soon!

cori, congrats on your new job! :)

kate, glad your water is finally back on! Our hot water heater busted a few weeks ago, and it was terrible going without hot water for 2 days!!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Sheesh, that guy is making a $100 bucks a day from the looks of it - they must sell as soon as they go on the blog.

I have done one nighttime scene and won an award with it, so I might try this one - of course, I have no photos so I will have to go back and at least get the lay of the land, then go again at night to get the colors right.

Fireflies might be difficult to relate, but I've got this image in my head and can't get it out.

Diane, welcome to our little group - not to worry, we won't tell, but next time just post the link - we are all click happy anyway and I enjoyed seeing his whole site. If you go to the archives on his site, you can see all his wonderful little paintings.
--------
Deborah, that does not sound good at all. We had ants in our bathroom a few years ago and could not figure out where they were coming from. I finally discovered they were coming up and out the overflow drain in the sink. Crafty little critters.

Deborah Secor
07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
http://www.grantsmission.com/overview.htm Take a peek at this page to see a really well thought out explanation of values in the landscape. I've joined a new plein air group here in NM and this man, Michael Lewis, is a member (not a pastelist.) If you still kinda scratch your head at what value is all about, this primer will help some, I think! It's really just a discussion of his workshop, which looks good. He believes in drawing first! Too bad he's not a pastelist...

Cori, congratulations! Have some great time off!

Kat, the trees around our house have died and the ants have moved into the nearest wooden thing around, I think. Best use of available resources, you know... The woodpeckers love this place now, too. They are apparently good natural indicators of the presence of carpenter ants--as if I need another indicator.

Deborah

Khadres
07-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Yikes on the ants, Deborah! I HATE bug infestations! Thank heavens we seem to have landed in a spot where bugs are far and few between other than house flies and miller moths and the occassional wasp or two. Well, and spiders from what Mel says...she lives in the basement level and thinks one spider is a massive infestation.

Cori, I'm glad you're seeing a good resolution of your job issues. I know those people where you are now are going to miss you...maybe they should've tried harder to treat you well in the past!

Glad everyone's 4th of July weekend went well...ours was quiet and relaxing...too much food but...

Can't wait to see those fireflies, Kat! :D

scall0way
07-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Deborah,
Ugh, the thought of all those ants just gives me the creeps. <shudder>. I sure hope that gets resolved soon.

I did enjoy that article about values as well. To think that three months ago I had never even heard of the term "value" as it related to art. I'm learning more every day! Value is something I'm still struggling with with pastels. I can "see" the different values when I look at my composition, but sometimes have trouble reproducing them on paper. Well it's all learning. Tonight I have my second ever life drawing class. We'll see how it goes compared to last week. I used soft pastels last week but tonight might use OPs, if I can figure out which paper to use. :-)

Debbie C.

Piper Ballou
07-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, we have had the flu at our house, both of us sick at the same time, not a fun time at all. my daughter is getting married on the 23rd and I wanted to lose a little weight, I guess one should be careful what they wish for...feeling better today, I will check in later and reread all the posts...
piper

eyre
07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
starjoy: Feel better soon!!

Merethe T
07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi all - long time since I've been in the scumble - but I've lurked a lot! :D

So much going on with you all - happy (late) 4th of July - sounds like you've had a great time with lots of food - and yeah, fireworks is fun!! I hope I get a chance to visit USA sometime - so much to see and experience, and very nice people!

Cori - congrats on your job, I've followed your posts - glad to hear things worked out for you!

Dee - those ants sound so awfull!! Hope you get rid of them soon - and I always look forward to your threads - so much to learn from them! Hope you get a lot of painting done! ;)

Piper - hope you feel better soon!

Kat - a nighttime scene sounds intriguing - don't know much about fireflys, we don't have them here, but would love to see some in a painting... :D

Well, I'm going on my third week of vacation, and I can really feel how all the work-stress are fading, and energy is filling up! I've gotten more painting done now then I have in months - and I really enjoy having time to paint whenever I want - be it night or day (I'm very much a night person, my best time to paint when all is quiet and peaceful..) We have such wonderful weather here - sun from a clear blue sky, 25 C - not often we have such warm days - so we enjoy every minute! Went out in our boat today, to hot to sit in the sun - took some photos, had a dip in the sea and watched some friends water skiing - fun and summery day!

Too hot for our Leonberger - Kaizer - but he loves water so we take him out to swim every day - never seen a dog enjoy water so much! He's 9 months now, and have grown so much - and he's getting more friendly by the minute - wonderful breed! Our five cats are having a blast thow - love to sunbath, and bring home "gifts" for the house after ventures out in the woods...not always appreciated by their "mom", but they are oh so proud to show off their catch of the day!

My brother's visiting, he's a lot into photograpy so I introdused him to WC, he's now lurking in the photo forum and enjoy that a lot! I'm now quite sunburned, and it's good to be indoors - it's night here in Norway - my time to catch up on WC.. :wink2:

Hope you all are good!

Deborah Secor
07-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Just hoping that all those who are in the London area are accounted for here. Seems we've heard from Jackie and Ruth in the thread about the Olympics, but others have yet to show. Oh, saw E-J in the Cafe thread.

I'm praying for everyone in England right now! God bless you all.

Deborah

Paula Ford
07-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm so shocked at this terrible event. Has anybody heard from Dawn?

Piper Ballou
07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with those in England, this just rips a hole in my heart.

K Taylor-Green
07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
I too pray that everyone is safe. What a horrible thing to happen, and so remenescent
of 9/11. How does this continue to happen?

angecald
07-07-2005, 11:05 PM
I, too, will be very relieved when all our members who live in England have checked in. My deepest condolences to the victims of this event. I must say that the public reaction we've seen on the news has been very impressive and does you all proud. It will take more than a few terrorists to conquer London's spirit!

Deborah Secor
07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Argh! My son was due to arrive home today from his mission trip to Macedonia but I just received an e-mail saying he's hung up in Frankfurt for the night! They have no arrangements yet to fly home. I'm on pins and needles here! I was afraid the troubles in London might affect his travel, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with it. I had plans with his sweet girlfriend to spruce up his room today, cook a nice dinner and go to the airport together. Trying to remain flexible.... not easy. I'm going to have to keep busy today and just PRAY that he arrives home tomorrow. I don't know if it will be worth it to try to paint--then again, it might be a good thing to do. <sigh> I miss him so much! It's been 32 days. Thanks for listening to my rant...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
HUGS!!!! You know that he is safe and sound - probably just traffic backup in the air.

Khadres
07-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Awww, better that he travel safely and arrive a little late than otherwise, Deb. I imagine there are a LOT of extra security measures being taken. I'd be very thankful for that, too! He'll get there and it'll be like he hasn't been gone at all. Think of all the stories he'll have to tell!

khourianya
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh I can only imagine how nervewracking it is for you, Deborah. I'm glad to hear he's safe, though. It's already been a month? sheesh it seems like he only went yesterday (of course, to you it must feel like time had moved so slowly).

Today was the Calgary Stampede Parade. My office is on the parade route and it is amazingly loud. I am really busy today and was wearing headphones but bagpipes can cut right through...egads. This weekend is the first weekend of Stampede so i am happy to be leaving town for a few days. I just found out the mosquitos are really bad at the acreage where we are going, but I am hoping to have the freedom to take my pastels and do some plein air sketches while I'm there.

K Taylor-Green
07-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Hang in there Dee! Your baby boy will be home soon. Seems like no matter how old they get, they are still our babies. My "baby" girl will be 28 next month!

Deborah Secor
07-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Yep--and he's my only kid! <giggle> I just heard that he'll be arriving tomorrow night at 10:30. You know, we go to a church where there are some 10,000 people (no mistake, ten thousand) but when something like this occurs it becomes a tiny little community of people who care and really support you. I've already had calls and e-mail from others telling me they have it in prayer. I know that God works all things together for good...so I'm trusting Him! The flight from Frankfurt was mysteriously cancelled--no reason given. But you and I both know there was a god reason! (Oops--that was suppsed to be good, but maybe it's a God reason!)

I decided to paint. If I get a chance I'll post it as a WIP. It's trees, though, and I know that Marsha has a tree WIP going, so it may be redundant!

I found long, though lightweight sleeves and pantlegs, and plenty of bug spray kept me painting even amid the gnats, Cory! Have fun...

Deborah

khourianya
07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Good advice..thanks Deborah. I'll see what I can find amongst my limited wardrobe that will fill the bill. Now what do you have as child repellent...because my little niece and nephew will be there too (aged 4 and 2.5) I am picturing my pastels being "borrowed" as sidewalk chalk! :eek:

Khadres
07-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Good advice..thanks Deborah. I'll see what I can find amongst my limited wardrobe that will fill the bill. Now what do you have as child repellent...because my little niece and nephew will be there too (aged 4 and 2.5) I am picturing my pastels being "borrowed" as sidewalk chalk! :eek:

If there are gnats, do NOT take oil paints!!! LOL Tell ya what about the kiddies...BUY them a $5 bucket of sidewalk chalk and some cheap newsprint and let 'em have at it!

Deborah Secor
07-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Yep, I was about to say the same thing! Giant sidewalk chalk is great. Convince them that bigger is better...and they have special chalk that even I don't get to use! LOL Works like a charm. Of sourse I also try very hard to teach kidlets that pastels and paintings are to "look at only with your eyes, not your hands." I've found that once I explained that looking with our hands was okay for some things but not for others, it helps--but nothing is 100% with a 2 year old! Have fun. Little ones can be a blast.

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
You'll have a blast, Cori. My 20 month old granddaughter is here for the day, sitting on my lap as I type this, chattering up a storm. She is even understandable! For the most part. We are going to fill the wading pool in a bit, and I'll take pics. Anna is very photogenic.

scall0way
07-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Deborah, you go to a church that has 10000 people? Gracious, I can't even imagine it. That's way more than live in my whole town. I hope traveling went well (or goes well?) for your son. very confusing after the awful London news.

Kate, what fun to be with your granddaughter. Boy, I sure would love to be a grandma! But my son says he wants to finish law school and get a job first. Now how unreasonable is that? :)

Debbie C.

Mikki Petersen
07-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone! I've been running Kamp Gramma for the last couple of weeks and barely have time to comb my hair. This morning the boys are playing video games...hooray!

Cori! I'm so happy for you! I do hope this job turns out to be just what you are expecting. It sounds quite exciting.

The horror in London really wrenched my soul. How to explain to children without having them fear to go in the streets... I hope all our British friends are safe and unharmed by this tragedy.

Paula, I had the same dilemma when we moved into this small house two years ago. I started out with the second bedroom as a guest room. Couldn't bear having space set aside and unused most of the time, so we sold all the guest room furniture and turned the space into my studio. We have a 25' travel trailer that we offer as a guest house (kids love it) and we have couches and floor space for guests also. Meanwhile, I have never regretted the decision to give up a guest room.

I have been working on a painting in little snatches here and there but really cannot concentrate with all the activity around here right now. All the grandkids clear out later this week but then we leave for Seattle next Monday...ahhhh Summer...can't wait for the quiet of Winter again.

Happy painting,
Mikki

Piper Ballou
07-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi all,
TJ, Aztrillium is here visiting. We are having so much fun, talking and painting and talking more. I have sure picked her brain.
We are off to visit an old mining town now, did a painting on location yesterday....having a blast.
willl write more later
piper

Dark_Shades
07-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes, Im here, sorry to have worried anyone

We have had some glorious weather over the last few weeks, in amongst downpours lol, but they are talking about a drought... always amazes me when you think we are an Island surrounded by water lol ...
Lovely, hot and sunny today - so have spent all day outside in the garden - we are sort of restructuring and remodelling the garden after the fire last year - its coming along quite nicely - for the time being we've had to recycle some materials, so in places lol, its looking shall we say rather 'rustic' :)
Bought a couple of sun chairs, and (rather late but) bedding plants, a wonderful African Lilly, have never seen the likes before ... really big, thick stemmed, huge head that has individual flowers on it.... and a Pink Tiger Lilly that has the most wonderful smell

Mikki Petersen
07-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Dawn, so good to hear you are safe and well. As for the garden, I rather prefer a rustic look. Enjoy your nice weather. I don't know how it is in England, but over here, the weather predictions are always either for drought or flood. Just once I would like to here them say, "Well folks, this is a great year weather-wise." Kind of like the farmers are either complaining of not enough water for their crops or too much water is ruining the crops...either way the prices will be going up!

Mikki