PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread July 4 - July 10

Paula Ford
07-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Happy 4th of July and Good Morning Pastelists! Time to rise and shine to a new week of pastel sketches!!

E-J is taking some time off, so I’ll be filling in while she’s away.

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

For some inspiration please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

Here is the link for last week’s FABULOUS sketch thread...http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279042 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279042)

Paula

Ruth Grinstead
07-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Paula, it is lovely to have you here in E-J's absence.

Happy 4th of July to one and all.

I thought I would try out something different, as I had a load of Mi-Teinte cut to quarter imperial I have discovered all my pictures are the same size and only changed between portrait and landscape.

So I thought I would try smaller to start with.

So one hour and 6x4" approx on Wallis, based loosely on Happisburgh pronounced Hazeborough.

Ruth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/38452-resized_Happisburgh_Lighthouse.jpg

Paula Ford
07-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Hello Ruth and thank you!

Your little painting is wonderful...I just love lighthouses!!

Paula

scall0way
07-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi Ruth, I enjoy your sketch to. I admit I'm a sucker for lighthouses and seaside scenes. :)

Debbie C.

scall0way
07-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Paula,
Thanks for leading this thread for us now, it's one of my favorites. :clap:

Ok, Here is a picture from me. One of my passions the last couple years has been following a webcam in the next of a family of peregrine falcons in Rochester, NY, as http://birdcam.kodak.com - and watching the babies grow from eggs to fluffy white nestlings, to beautiful soaring fledglings, learning to fly and hunt. They are so beautiful that last summer I decided I wanted to do a picture of one of them, but it was such a struggle as I had no idea what I was doing, and I could *not* get the feathers at all, and that was what made me decide I really wanted to take some art lessons and get more serious about it! And ultimately that is what led me here, so I guess I can thank the falcons for being here at wetcanvas. :D

So anyway I decided that I needed to try again this year, so this is a picture I did of Esperanza, one of this year's chicks. This is done with oil pastels, and I spent about 45 minutes on it. The picture is 9x12 inches on some pale blue sanded paper I bought at Jerry's.

Debbie C.

Ruth Grinstead
07-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Thank you Paula and Debbie. Lighthouses do have a certain appeal don't they.

How great Debbie that you were brought to WC by a falcon :D . That would make an interesting picture.

You captured the falcon really well and in such a short time, well done

Ruth

Khadres
07-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Esperanza turned out really well! I'm trying a couple of birds, too, right now and they're not as easy as they look, are they?

I like the light house too! Very nicely done!

Paula Ford
07-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi Debbie,

Your bird is terrific!! You did that in 45 minutes? Amazing! Aren't they gorgeous creatures?!?!?!

Paula

Paula

ExpressiveAngie
07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Ruth your lighthouse is wonderful and fantastic job on the bird and only 45 mins!, I thought I was quick...

flower
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi the lighthouse is great and the bird too my that you all did this in such a short time
lovely work there

jerseybarb
07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Nice lighthouse and falcon!

Very quick sketches

Here's two sketches that I did on my lunch break today. They took about
5-8 minutes each. I think I will end up redoing them, especially the owl, the owl looks a little static.

Khadres
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
These are fun ones! You obviously have a "thing" for birds? Very cool!

Paula Ford
07-05-2005, 09:30 PM
LOVELY birds!! Even though the humming bird is nice and colorful, I especially love the owl...how beautiful!! There are some fantastic photos of owls in the Image Library!!

Did you sketch them from photos?

Paula

jerseybarb
07-05-2005, 09:45 PM
LOVELY birds!! Even though the humming bird is nice and colorful, I especially love the owl...how beautiful!! There are some fantastic photos of owls in the Image Library!!

Did you sketch them from photos?

Paula

Yes, they are from the reference library

ty for your comments

Ruth Grinstead
07-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Hi jerseybarb

What great sketches in such short time spells, I love the colours in the hummingbird and the owl has attitude.

Ruth

scall0way
07-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Jerseybarb,
Cute birds. I do like birds myself. :) What a good idea to think of doing some quick sketches on your lunch hour. I should try to do something like that instead of frittering my lunch hours away.

Debbie C.

Paula Ford
07-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I agree. Lunch hour is a great time to get out of the office and relax by sketching.

jerseybarb
07-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Another bird from the reference library

This took about 10 minutes on my lunch break

Paula Ford
07-08-2005, 11:58 PM
OMG this is fabulous! You are really inspiring me to take some of my pastels to work and sketch at lunch!

We have great blue herons here all over the place and they are such big, graceful birds

Paula

prestonsega
07-09-2005, 02:08 AM
I haven't painted all week or been online...summer blahs,,,but I got the urge tonight to paint wild..so here is a very sketchy still life from life. 11" x 17' wallis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/29946-beehat.jpg

Ruth Grinstead
07-09-2005, 05:11 AM
jerseybarb - a lovely heron, ours are grey and you don't see them often.

Preston - I love the colours in your still life, I hope it has kick started the creativity.

Ruth

Khadres
07-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Nice work...love herons, and Preston, your "wild side" sketch is too cool!

Paula Ford
07-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Preston, What a soft, romantic painting...lovely. Wild? What do you mean?

Paula

HarvestMoon
07-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Here is the only thing I have done this week- big pink octopus #2- hope it brightens everyone's spirits just a tad....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/57497-octopus-opt.jpg

jerseybarb
07-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Purples I really like your octopus! Its like the Beatles song, Octopus's garden

HarvestMoon
07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I came really close to putting in a yellow submarine..... at least my youngest is a huge Beatles and Paul McCartney fan and knows all the songs- I did something right as a mom ha...

Khadres
07-09-2005, 04:32 PM
LOL...I don't know how you do these so the viewer gets a sense of happiness just from looking! Love it! And those hot hot colors work perfectly for a submarine subject! Why? I haven't a clue, but they do!

Bill Foehringer
07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
A quick one hour plein air from today. I found a patch of shade set up and dove in. This is the same boggy field I painted earlier in the year. I was trying for more solidity to the dark masses in this study. I used 4 colors in the right middle-ground darks, three of them from Girault, one Unison. A couple of the trees were reflecting so much sky I could have painted them blue. 9x12 pastel on Wallis museum.

HarvestMoon
07-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Bill, truly beautiful, and the sky has very subtle colors in it- I really love this, wish I could paint this way!

scall0way
07-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow Bill, that plein air is fantastic. I admire your trees and greenery - something I'm still really struggling with.

And purples, love your octopus. It gave me such a laugh to come across!

Debbie C.

scall0way
07-09-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm post one more for the week. A friend of mine just came back from a trip to Alaska, and she sent me a link to her incredible photos of the trip, including one to Katmai Island where they hiked amid *wild brown bears*. The bears were all over, mostly on the beach.

Anyway, her photos were lovely, and some really gave me the urge to paint them, so this is a quicky I did this afternoon. I spent about 30 minutes on it. It's on sanded paper, about 9x12, done with my oilies, Holbeins and a touch of Sennelier in the white.

Debbie C.

Paula Ford
07-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Purples, Your octapus painting is soooooooooo happy!! Vibrant and wimsical...just wonderful.

Bill, LOVELY painting. Beautiful and serene and I love your colors!

Debbie, This is terrific...and only 30 minutes!

WOW, all of you are doing great!

Paula

HarvestMoon
07-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow Debbie! I have been to Alaska and it was like something straight out of National Geographic- truly spectacular and wild- and I would NEVER have the nerve to be so close to wild bears - not in this lifetime- but you did a great job on the painting- I love the clouds, and the mom bear with cubs is so cute- you did this with Oils? wow- I suspect your talent is blooming, not just an upgrade in materials!!

Khadres
07-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Nice one Bill!

jerseybarb
07-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Here is the only thing I have done this week- big pink octopus #2- hope it brightens everyone's spirits just a tad....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/57497-octopus-opt.jpg

Purples heres something to accompany your sketch

I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
In his octopus' garden in the shade

I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus' garden with me
In an octopus' garden in the shade.

We would be warm below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head on the sea bed
In an octopus' garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
because we know we can't be found
In an octopus' garden in the shade

We would shout and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)

We would be so happy you and me
No one there to tell us what to do
In an octopus' garden with you.

Ruth Grinstead
07-10-2005, 03:26 AM
purples - your pink octopus was great and really did raise a smile.

Bill - your plein air has a lovely feeling of light

Debbie - that sounds like a really interesting place. I am glad your friend took lots of photos so you could shared it with us.

Ruth

HarvestMoon
07-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Barb- thank you for the lyrics- I can print your reply out and give it to the younger kids around.... I have been tweeking the picture, and it would be fun to put out at our new childrens library section at the local library- thank you guys for the encouragement on the fun stuff! BTW I loved the crane and Preston- your loose style is simply wonderful...