PDA

View Full Version : Help Please? Mona Lisa Art Board

Brian Bartow
07-03-2005, 05:32 PM
:confused: Hello:
I picked up a few of these Mona Lisa Art Boards-they were on sale of course! They appear to be gesso covered masonite. Although the label says they can be used with watercolor, mine just beads up and wipes off. The same with oil pastels. Acrylics seem to adhere easily. Does anyone know if and how the board needs to be prepared to accept watercolor washes?
Thanks for reading this.
Brian

Mary Woodul
07-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Brian and welcome to WetCanvas and Mixed Media. I don't paint watercolor but I would imagine that it is the gessoe that makes it not adhere the WC. I would try to put acrylic paint over it or just matte white house paint, that would make it a little more porous and let it accept the WC. If that would not work, since you have already bought them I would paste some kind of watercolor paper on it with a gel medium or just crafts glue.

I hope this is of help and I am sorry that these are just suggestions, but watercolor is a medium I have never used. :(

idylbrush
07-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I think that golden makes a base medium that is intended to be used with acrylics as a watercolor effect. I have a feeling that it is also good for watercolors. You might want to check out their website.

I beleive it is called absorbent ground

idylbrush
07-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Try this link and see what you think....

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/absorb.php

It might be just the right thing.

Brian Bartow
07-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Thank you so much Mary, for the help and the welcome :)

Howard, that link was great! Thank you. Reading about that product opened up all sorts of multimedia possibilities. And, I get to purchase another art supply.:D

Brian

Mary Woodul
07-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Brian, I too a look at your website. Your prize winning pastel is stunning.

Brian Bartow
07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Thank you Mary. That is very kind of you. Your work is beautiful. I especially like "Falling Pears" and "Autumn Sunset." But my favorite has to be "Mexican Fire Barrel Cactus" - its inspiring.
Brian

Mary Woodul
07-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Thank you Brian, I'm glad you liked it. :D