PDA

View Full Version : "Contempt" Cat on Black WIP

stalksthedawn
06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi :)

Been ages since I posted a WIP here. Going to do a pretty much step-by-step of this one. 9" x 12" prismacolor on black stonehenge from one of my own ref. i ages.

Sorry about the poor quality draft. It'll get better as I go along.

catchlight
06-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Ooh I love the title and the intensity of that gaze! This is going to be great to watch :) Updates updates!!!

Weezy
06-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi Aleks!

What kind of paper is it?

And more importantly, how the heck are you? We haven't seen you much! Good to see you again.

Meisie
06-07-2005, 03:54 AM
My chair is ready...

Meisie

Katherine T
06-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Goody - I'm looking forward to this. Can you post your reference piccie?

chocolatyclaire
06-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Looking forward to this one. There seems to be a lot of work on black paper lately! Yep - can we see a ref? :)

wet
06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh goody a wip by Stalks! :clap: Is this a bobcat? wanda

piper2
06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Just pulling up my chair . . .

stalksthedawn
06-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks! It's good to be back. I actually had a semi-new painting in the AW forum but i think I forgot to post it here. Might do that today :)

Wet, it's not a bobcat, just a very angry Calico kitty lol.

Weezy, it's black Stonehenge. I've been wokring exclusivly on black for almost 2 years now. LOVE it!

I've been...okay. Been working a job that I despise and that has pretty much eradicated any self-esteem or worth I still had, thank to my boss, but my last day is this Friday so I'm feeling better. Of course I'll be unemployed after that but I'll find a way to make things work. Also been trying to go back to school to get certified to teach art but keep running into roadblocks every way I turn. Not giving up though!!

I can't attach the ref. pic form here because it's too big. I'm going to do the eyes tonight (posting from work right now but what are they going to do, fire me? bwahahahaha).

Here's a link in the library to the ref. shot. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=31416&cat=18

Weezy
06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Knowing there's no tomorrow at a job is unbelievably freeing, isn't it? Well, now you have a choice - do you tell him how unbearably insupportable he was as a boss, or take the high road?

I've done both....didn't regret either.

RobinZ
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Oh, thanks for doing this Stalks! Your cats are an inspiration!!

Rosa Weitzel
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
There is nothing worse then working at a job where they sap your self worth and energy to a point you a grease spot. I was there and stayed for so long. When I think back I would never do it again. I think I would clean houses, the lady who works for me makes 70 or 80 grand a year, she is good and most of all trusworth and on time. I figure I can do that. Your work is so good you should teach you have so much talent you would rock the art world.

Rosa

quickcat327
06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
just pulling up my chaise, raising my glass of LI iced tea, and bidding you to please continue....Kevin

BKWYRM
06-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Wow! This will be amazing!

Can you share some of what you like/dislike about working exclusively on black? How did you come to this decision? Was it a conscious one?

Katherine T
06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Just taking some time out here to raise a glass to the woman who does her own thing!

And the reference photo is pretty damn good as well! :D ('scuse language)

stalksthedawn
06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
The only thing I dislike about working on black paper is that it's difficult to do black animals on it lol. I just found that my work flows better on it. I actually have a hard time working on white now.

Okay...now on to the eyes. I ALWAYS do the eyes first to capture the life of the face. I did this in little steps and here is the order the pics go in...

1) I never use pure black. I use a combo of Indigo Blue/black for cool blacks or Tuscan Red/black for warm blacks. Since this cat is definitly "warm" I outlined the eyes in Tuscan Red and then Black and also did the pupils in the same color. I also added the whitest highlights before adding anything else.

2) Next I put in the lightest layers very lightly...Jasmine, Indigo Blue (VERY lightly), Jade Green, Yellow Chartreuse,Limepeel, Yellow Ochre and Celadon Green.

3) Next I add in the dark part of the eyes, mostly around the edges and around the pupils. For this I use Apple Green, Burnt Ochre, Olive Green, Dark Umber and touches of Indigo Blue mixing with some of the previously used colors to blend them in.

4) After that I go back to the lighter parts of the eyes using the previous light colors and adding Deco Blue and White into the mixture. I ended up using a lot of Jade Green for the light parts. I also added clolor to the corner of the eye using Greyed Lavender, Imperial Violet, French Gray 30% and Black Grape.

5) Finally, I went back over everything adding little touches with White, Terra Cotta, Yellow Ochre and Olive Green to make it look like an eye. And Voila...eyes done :D

More soon. Must clean some of my basement now.

Katherine T
06-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Wonderful!

Flame Lily
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Hello :wave: I've never commented on a thread of yours before, it's wonderful to meet you. I'm enjoying your thread so far and learning too, so I'm rating it now while I remember - thanks for sharing!

paintedhorses
06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Stalks! Great to see you here again, you have been missed :wave:

Love your work, and a detailed WIP is super-thank you!

Looking forward to more.

AND I'm glad you are getting away from that horrible work situation, been there, done that! And it got better for me, my best wishes for you as well.

Jeri

ams
06-08-2005, 08:27 PM
This is wonderful so far. I have marked the thread as well. The way you are showing your steps on the black paper is very helpful.

I look forward to watching this develop. It should be gorgeous when it is finished.

Sorry to hear you have had a bad time at your job. It sounds as if it is a good thing that you are leaving.

Anne

Weezy
06-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Aleks, its nice to see you haven't gotten stale while you were away. :wink2: Your work is so good. Its just a pleasure to see you here and contributing again. Do keep on, as a non-animal artist I am learning by leaps and bounds. :wave: :D Good to have you here again.

catchlight
06-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Wow those eyes are amazing! I'm really going to enjoy this, and rate it too while I"m at it :)

wet
06-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the detailed explaination! I have this kitty in my favorites. All that fur is just irresistible! I am glad you are getting away form that job. Been there and when you have some time away from it you will feel alot better. :wave: wanda

stalksthedawn
06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, finally have time to work on this.

After the eyes I moved on to the nose.

In the first pic I used Terra Cotta, Tuscan Red and Black to get the darkest parts and filled in the lightest parts with Greyed Lavender..

In the 2nd pic I added Deco Pink, Pink Rose, Peace and Jasmine to the light parts. I alos added Jasmine, Yellow Ochre, Goldenrod and Mineral Orange to the "orange" parts of the nose.

In the 3rd pick I kept adding shaidng to all parts of the nose with the addition of Burnt ochre and most of the previously used colors to make it look like a nose. I also added white to the lightest part.

I'm going to do the side of his face from nose to eye right now but the ref shots will be fewer. I WILL still explain colors step by step though :)

trudette
06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks , stalksthedawn, for these great lessons.
:wave: trudette

stalksthedawn
06-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Ok....how I proceed now is how I normally breka up fur. I do a number of layers, then layer a colorbless blender over it, then proceed with the more detailed strokes.

In pic #1 everything is done in very, very light layers. I started with Cream, White and Jasmine. I then added colors to the shaded and darker areas of the fur; Yellow Ochre, Goldenrod and Burnt Ochre. I then went over the entire section with colorless blender until no part of the paper remained showing.

Once this was done I moved on to details as shown in pic #2. I kept adding to the darker parts of the fur with more Goldenrod, Burnt Ochre, Terra Cotta, Burnt Sienna. I also added several more layers of Jasmine and White to the lightest parts and started running lines that look like fur along the face in the general fur direction. Most of the fur lines are done with Mineral Orange and Terra Cotta with White and Jasmine for the light ones :)

edited to add....I forgot to mention that in the white part by the mouth the colors are Greyed Lavender, Lilac and warm Gray 50% mixed with White and Cream.

FaeLynn
06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi Stalks :wave:
WOW! What great WIP's! I am also going to watch this one. I haven't done much work on black, but the ones I have done have been okay. I think you really have a handle on this! Great so far, keep it up! :p
-Fae Lynn

RobinZ
06-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I just rated this thread also, based on what I've learned so far, and the stunning pieces you always produce!!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

catchlight
06-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Wow I'm really enjoying this, with my new interest in black paper and all too! I am blown away by those eyes, I'm going to try that a little with my next animal portrait although I don't think I could get it to look like that! I'm really interested in your technique, thankyou for doing such a detailed WIP for us :)

Glenspey
06-11-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm glad you're back Alexs. Your work on black is really stunning and this is no exception.

Gayle

stalksthedawn
06-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Using the same colors listed above I kept on with the nose and mouth area. Going to move up to the under-eye next. I keep blending and touching up on all parts as I go along, even the ones thta appeared done at first. Except the eyes. Those I leave alone until the very end.

stalksthedawn
06-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Planning on getting a lot of work on this :cat: tonight :)

For the area under the eye I started out with very light layers of Cream, Pink Rose, Jasmine, Light peach, Peach, Mineral Orange and White. I then went over the whole thing with colorless blender and added Burnt Ochre, Blush Pink, Yellow Ochre, Light Umbber and Terraco Cotta to the mix.

More coming shortly.

stalksthedawn
06-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Ok..made some more progress.

In pic #1 I used all the same colors as above.

Pic #2 is what it looks like immediately after the colorless blender is applied.

For pic #3 I added Goldenrod, Pumpkin Orange, Dark Umber, Tuscan Red, Black for new colors as well as using all the old ones to add all the details. I alos added the fur at his chin with White, Greyed Lavender, french Gray 90%, French Grey 30% and Jasmine.

stalksthedawn
06-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Then I started moving up the top of the cat's head using the same basic set of colors.

RobinZ
06-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Oh, Stalks, this is fabulous!!

stalksthedawn
06-17-2005, 07:54 PM
and here's a little more with an ear added.

stalksthedawn
06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I do believe I'll finish him tonight.

I keep going with all the same colors listed previously. I also find that my strokes get looser as I get further into the fur and away from the details of the face. I'm including a close-up of the strokes from around the eye/ear area.

stalksthedawn
06-17-2005, 09:14 PM
All done. I add the whiskers and other white hairs after the first spraying of fixative.

Weezy
06-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh Aleks,,, my aunt had a cat with this attitude once. It attacked the insurance man! Guess he really didn't like the man! That, and the cat had a permanent case of kitty PMS. You really caught it! Fantastic mood capture! And I positively love the loose strokes!

BKWYRM
06-18-2005, 08:46 AM
His fur just glows!

Katherine T
06-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Very furry!

Rosa Weitzel
06-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Weezie a cat with PMS funny. Still watching, glorious color and technique.

Rosa