PDA

View Full Version : Classy Glass Class

Pages : [1] 2

Weezy
05-16-2005, 10:56 PM
This class has come about because of Her Shinyness (Wendy's) agreeing to help those of us glassily challenged individuals. I have taken some photos and will post them here in this thread for you to choose from. Wendy will add some too. We can then each start one or two and along the way post the WIPs and Wendy will suggest and help us along. I can really use this. I hope I'm not alone.

There are three rules.

1. Do something glass

2. Anybody who wants in is in

3. (As per Karen) Have fun with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00002.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00003.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00004.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00005.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00006.JPG

I will be adding a few more during the week, so if lemons in glass is not your thing, check back in a few days. This can be so much fun! Anyone for glass on black??

danna23
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey everyone....

I'm in, glass is something I've been avoiding so this is my chance to get some real help along the way. I'm not willing to do it on black, but lemons are great, I'll do one of them.

Great idea Wheezy. :clap: . I'll do picture number 5. Is there a time frame of any sort?

Time to get started... Danna

Weezy
05-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Hi Danna,

There's no time frame, just as you can get to it. Everybody is supposed to have a life besides WC! You may want to withold your choice until Wendy posts hers. She said she has some other colored glass pictures she will post. I figure if we get a good ten to choose from, there ought to be something for everybody to pick from. These were taken in a real rush tonight atop my anitque sewing machine. So no guarantees. We're just trying to find something for most who would like to try.

And Danna, I know how you feel, I've managed to dodge that bullet for quite sometime as well. Time's up! :wave: :D

catchlight
05-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Here's my contributions to the ref pics too, to give you loads to choose from. Thanks Weezy for thinking of this, I think it's going to be great fun!

From my perspective, I'm not worried about a time limit, just as long as you like, but we should check with Weezy as she's the boss!

Can't wait to get started on this! :) If anyone needs larger images, PM me and I'll email you some :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/57873-magenta_bottle.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/57873-blue_glass_on_its_side.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/57873-recycled_jar_on_glass_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/57873-wine_glasses.jpg

Sheysd1
05-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Weezy.........count me in too! Oh boy, I'm still working on doggie fur but I will give this a whirl!

Shey :D :clap:

Weezy
05-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Glad to have you aboard Shey....but just for the record ,there is no boss here. I'z a student 2!!! :D

Roses
05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm in also. Probably for several of these.

Katherine T
05-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Nice idea Weezy!

I like Wendy's photos - for me, the trick with glass is seeing the transparency and getting those reflected lights working as well as doing the shininess.

Weezy - I think yours would benefit from having the mat removed from underneath so we get a chance to see any shine or reflected light on the polished wood. Also might we have some fruit which have a shine to them? The very matt surface of the lemons seems to sort of 'kill' the shininess of the glass.

Katherine

Meisie
05-17-2005, 03:03 AM
ugh, that second pic of yours Louise is calling my name! done on black....I'm resisting though :D

Meisie

trudette
05-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Count me in. This will be a great learning expirience for me.
I would like to have a go on this one;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/57873-blue_glass_on_its_side.jpg
But were do I start ? Should I use a different underlayer ( say in red? ) for the blue glass ?

AuntBe1
05-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Ohhhhhhh! My head is spinning. I can't choose. Will someone choose for me?????
I've been working on a graphite portrait and it's taking up all of my drawing time. I think I need a break and this looks like fun, and I can get all of the help I need along the way!! :clap:
So! I'm serious!! Please, someone choose one for me and I'll have a go! After the picture is chosen I'll decide what color paper.
Thanks!!!
Belinda

Weezy
05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Katherine,

We think oppositely on this issue. I think the lemons provide a foil for the shininess of the glass. That's OK. Wendy has provided other shots and I will be posting more a little later on this week. I will put a mirror underneath (If I can find one) and get you all the gloss and shiny crap you could ever want! :evil: :D

So, if you 're charged up, go ahead and start. If not give a day or two and check out the last additions.

Belinda.....why don't you do Wendy's red bottle? It will give you a good color break from the graphite.

AuntBe1
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Weezy, did you see red and think of me? :p
Ok, the red bottle it is. Will get started tonight!! I'm excited! :clap:
Belinda

Weezy
05-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah, but Belinda you can't use red paper! Gotta be white or light gray......no cheating!!! :clap: :clap:

Karen Cardinal
05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Whoo Hoo! Cool! I'm definitely in. :D

Wendy and Weezy, I have to applaud you both on your photography skills! :clap:
I can't take a picture of anything shiny without getting a fuzzy picture. I'm impressed by you people who can get those crisp photos of glass and crystal. :D

I'm very very tempted to try one of each. I'll do a couple on black paper... I know which ones would work best already. :D

Weezy do you want us to each start our own thread with our artwork and add a link to it in this thread (like we used to do with the projects)?

Weezy
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Karen and anyone else who is interested....add your work to this thread. That way Wendy can comment and suggest without having to trek all over the forum looking for our work and we can compare those that are the same, to see the different approaches by different people. This is meant to be a real community effort. We will be each others teachers in the best way possible. I can't wait to see the first steps. Woo hoo! :wave: :wave:

catchlight
05-17-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm all excited about this! I might do one too as we go along :) Only that means I have to decide on which one to use too! It's probably going to be the most colourful thread ever! We should probably all rate this one too, it could be a really useful learning tool for the library later, it'll have every variety of glass issue in it I'm sure!

Katherine T
05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I want to participate in this one - and was wondering whether I could maxcmise my community effort by making the blue glass a big effort for Robin's thread as well (why isn't this a project?) - but I have to confess that I'm completely stumped at the moment by losing a complete day's work - just a bit distracted for now - I'll have a review come the weekend!

Weezy
05-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Katherine, it isn't a project cause yours truly didn't know how to set one up(having never done that) and it all started rather informally because of Her Shininess' glossy, glassy, sassy, stupendous, stuff and her giving nature. So here we are in a thread that'll contain it all. All the easier to put in the library should we actually ever learn anything. ( No aspersions to the teacher, Wendy). Its more a reflection (bad pun) on us. :D

I'm going to go find a mirror and some light before it goes, and see what I can come up with. Wish me luck.
:wave:

lynn1
05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm in on this..just not sure which one yet.

Anyone know of someone who wants a 'glass' painting? ;)

Weezy
05-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Ok, here's the last to choose from. Don't forget you can crop these if only a segment appeals to you. I hope you can all find something to tickle your fancy from the selections here.

Katherine I only had 12 inch square mirrors to work with. It was tricky, and this is the best I could do with a directional light source and no extra paraphernalia. (2 hands, I mean)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/46700-4Katherine3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/46700-4Katherine4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/46700-4Katherine6.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/46700-4Katherine7.jpg

and finally.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/46700-4Katherine8.jpg

I sure hope that's all glitzey enough for anybody. :D

I think I'm going to have to get a bigger mirror if I like this. :wave:

Karen Cardinal
05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Weezy these are terrific!
Excellent work! :clap:

Thank you so much... and thank you too Wanda!

Jeez... I think I'm going to be drawing glass for a year... I want to do them all. :D

Weezy
05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Y'all are just going to have to forget the light switch in there. I couldn't move it, it was attached! :D

catchlight
05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Ooh Weezy I love those!!! I might do one of your ones actually! :)

Weezy
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Have at it Your Shinyness! (She bows, scraping low to not blind her eyes from the glizt of the reflected light!)

TTFN, Louise :wave:

catchlight
05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Heheh you totally crack me up hehe :D

BKWYRM
05-17-2005, 11:07 PM
No more pictures! There are too many good ones to choose from. I can clearly that I'm going to be painting a whole buncha glass. Well, it will make a big break from stupid black dogs. Give me a little time and I'll participate as well. Thank you, Your Shinyness, and Your Photographerness! Great job!

Meisie
05-17-2005, 11:35 PM
aaaaaarrrrrghhhh I'm haunted by a glass bowl and lemons!!! :) Shall we say it will a good learning experience to go with the marbles? ;)

I'm in....

Meisie

BKWYRM
05-17-2005, 11:38 PM
As long as you haven't lost your marbles....you did say you found them, right? :wink2:

Weezy
05-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah, Meisie! Gald to have you aboard!

Now where are some of you lurkers? C'mon and give this a try. WE are all willing to give it a blind shot in the dark. Join in the fun. The worse we can do is make shelf paper, right? :wave: :D

gordoiye
05-17-2005, 11:47 PM
OMG! i thought the lemons were going to be difficult enough, then you throw all these bobbles and necklaces... and... gulp... flowers too!!

i can feel the headache already.

gord

Weezy
05-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Gord, that can't possibly be demonic laughter wafting down the hall, can it???? MUUUUUUHAHAHA!!!!(use your best Boris Karloff voice here) :evil: :D
Whoops, forgot this one.....I swear its the last!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2005/46700-4Katherine5.jpg

Meisie
05-18-2005, 02:29 AM
ooooooooooo this last pic is gorgeous too!

lol Kathy I still got 'em!! (marbles) was going to scan the final tonight, when I realised I made an obvious mistake...so got to fix that first...then I'll update the marble thread and start on the lemons :clap:

Meisie

Roses
05-18-2005, 03:13 AM
I see at least 4 I would like to try. I'll have to start one tomorrow.

Rosa Weitzel
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Here are a few pictures for you to use.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2005/13876-Wet_canvas_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2005/13876-for_wet_canvas.jpg
I hope you enjoy.

Rosa

CAULFIELD
05-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Ooooooh you guys are even tempting me. :) Can't wait to see what you all do!! :) :) :)

Nicole

Weezy
05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
So, Rosa and Nicole, are you in???

Rosa Weitzel
05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I have one that is half done would that count if I finished it? hummm I think I will since there is no time limit to this. Weezy got me thinking.
I like glass hummmmm OK OK OK I will do it
Rosa

Weezy
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Yay, Rosa!!!

CAULFIELD
05-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Boo-hoo I don't have time. :( If I do anything soon it will be those clouds I keep promising Karen. Maybe in the future. Can someone post one with glass and a figure? Maybe a person looking through a leaded window or something. Wait a minute, then I would have to do it for sure. :) Or a person drinking a martini with bright lipstick on... or...

Nicole

Karen Cardinal
05-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes! Clouds... I must see how you do those fabulous clouds Nicole! :D

Well, if you can't find a ref with glass and figures I could ask my son to take some (he's the real photographer in the family). Hmmm.... we'd have to have more than one person wouldn't we... how else could we get a story of intreage out of it? ;)

Rosa, those are wonderful pictures!
I sure hope you and Weezy have larger sizes of your pictures. I'm a terrible artist... I can't draw a picture with detail unless I have a large ref photo to work from... I gotta be able to zoom in on it on the computer. :D

frida
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Amazing photos to work from!!! I won't join you, but would love to see how you all use them... :D

brynmr
05-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Cool ref photos. :) I'm doing another portrait so I can't join either but I'll pop in occasionally. :wave:

Meisie
05-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Had some time on my hands...strike while the iron is hot...you never know how long the chance will last :wink2: !

Black Artagain...8"x6" prismas.

I get such a rush when I work on black...just LOVE it!

Meisie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2005/24673-lemons_on_black.jpg

catchlight
05-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Wow Meisie, that's incredible so far!!! And _I'm_ supposed to give _you_ advice on that? hehe. I hope you find something difficult in the glass! (just kidding) :D

brynmr
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Great start Meisie! :D

ams
05-18-2005, 07:59 PM
I am going to give the blue glass a try. I had a kitten and an apple (really) from the ril that I was going to do but I have only finished the sketch so I will put it aside for a little while and try the glass.

Anne

BKWYRM
05-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Ouch, Meisie! When my jaw hit the floor--man that hurt! :wink2: Talk to me about your lemons--they are to die for. I am seeing so much fabulous stuff on black paper. I may have to try it out. How did you get those colors so rich and scrumptious?

piper2
05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
After I finish my frog, perhaps I will try this. I've never tried glass . . . It doesn't have eyes.

Weezy, is that Kool-Aid in that goblet?

Meisie
05-18-2005, 11:18 PM
<chuckle> Your Shinyness, I have not started on the glass yet ;) You'll have LOTS to do...hang on to your chair :D

Thanks folks...let's hope it still looks promising by the time I hit the glass :rolleyes:

Kathy...just layering yellows, with some white and black grape for the darker values. The Artagain fills up really quickly....or I'm jus really impatient and then it gets all juicy and slippery and oooooooooh just so 'nice' sigh....for lack of a better word!

hmmmmm I doubt that helped you much? :o

Meisie

chatfieldstudios
05-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Meisie....this is looking great...can't wait to see it finished :)

gordoiye
05-19-2005, 12:03 AM
... haven't tried glass yet either, so i will probably jump on board here at some point - man, i've got a lot on the go.... :p

gord

Weezy
05-19-2005, 12:21 AM
:wave: No Maggie, it's not kool-aid, but its pink lemonade. I just used what I had and that's what I was drinking at the time. Sorry, but I couldn't see breaking out a bottle of wine for just one or two shots. Besides, I get potted on one glass and positively silly on two. Three and I wouldn't be able to find my bed, the floor would do.

Meisie, what is Art again paper? Does it have a sanded side like the colorfix? I cannot believe your lemons. I killed my Mi teintes and actually dug a hole trying to lay in some light values. I think I'm not using that paper again. Yours are too beautiful. Wow.

Gord, Anne and anyone else, you can jump on in whenever you want this is an open kinda thing. We know everybody has a life besides here, right? Well, don't ya? :wink2:

This is a most auspicious beginning. Wow, what a trip it is to see someone use one of your photos to do something like this. It sure is fun to watch. Thanks for taking part. I won't be able to do anything until this weekend. We are out of town tomorrow and Friday. I'm itching to start, too.

Well don't be bashful. There's got to be one or two more of you out there beginning something shiny. :wave: :D

Glenspey
05-19-2005, 01:34 AM
This looks like fun, if I get a chance I'm in. (furry glass anyone)

Meisie your lemons are wonderful, they look so.......lemony :) , seriously, you have really achieved a great depth to them, their solidity will be a great contrast to the glass.

Gayle

Meisie
05-19-2005, 03:03 AM
I'm so pleased you like my lemons :D what fun I'm having!

Ugh...way more blue shows here on the bowl than what I have in the original, but you probably get the idea? I have the blue there, but in rl it doesn't yell quite so loudly :confused: but I'll probably tone it down at a later stage.

Weezy Artagain is made by Strathmore. I bought a pad of 9"x12" It doesn't take as many layers as Stonehenge would (I have not tried black Stonehenge), but is a pretty sturdy paper.(60lb) Much smoother than Canson, but more toothy than Bristol Vellum. Not sanded no.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2005/24673-lemons_on_black2.jpg

Meisie

catchlight
05-19-2005, 03:17 AM
Wow Meisie this is going fantastic! I certainly don't have anything to advise you on there :) I love the wiggly glass bit at the top, the blue is a tad blue but that's your scan so don't worry about it. I think you've done amazingly so far, wowowow!

wet
05-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Wow Meisie! Just beautiful. Now is the trick to focus and paint what you see? I am going to try the pink bottle. I have to keep it simple cuz I have NO idea how to do this. I love the other pics but man, those would take me a year to do! Your Shinyness do you lay down the hls first? Or block in the main color and work from there?
This is going to be very interesting. ;) Wanda ,aka, *Your Dullness* :o :D

Katherine T
05-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I go away for two days and you all go shiny crazy!

Great photos Weezy and Wendy. Fabululous lemons Meisie (or even fabulous! :D)

Now, if I do glass fast on a big bit of black paper, how many ticks do I get against my 'must try.......' list?

Katherine

Meisie
05-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm itching to get going on this today..

Thanks Wendy, I think I'm going to tone that blue down, regardless.

Thanks Wanda, and yes, that is what I do, especially in the glass bits. Forget that I'm looking at glass, just put on paper y impressions/ reproductions of what I see on the screen in front of me. I enlarge it big on the screen. Makes beautiful abstracts :D

Go for it Katherine!

Meisie

Karen Cardinal
05-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Meisie this is wonderful already! I can't wait to see the next update! :D

I've got the sketch made for my first glass drawing. (I'm doing the other side of Weezy's bowl with the lemons first) I'm going to do one of Weezy's, one of Wendy's and one of Rose's pictures. No one post any more pictures now! ;)

It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get anymore black paper, so I've got an image I downloaded somewhere else that I'm going to do on black.

Hopefully I'll be able to post my underpainting at least tomorrow.

Can't wait to see what everyone else is doing! :D

Meisie
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Yay! Go Karen go!

Meisie

catchlight
05-19-2005, 05:53 PM
What a bunch of champion wee students y'all are :D

Wanda, for the pink bottle, what I'd do is put in the main colour (leaving the brightest highlights, or masking them or putting them in in indented white, however you like) and put it on pretty thickly then start adding the other colours, dark and light to it. You're going to laugh at how simple this is once you get going!

Meisie you're a marvel :D

Katherine, you can have as many ticks as you like hehe :) Well one each for big bold, black paper and glass anyway!

Karen you go girl :D

This is going to be such fun :) We're already up to the fifth page of this thread and we've only got one example so far hehe :D

gordoiye
05-19-2005, 06:18 PM
meisie, that's a great job you've done - the lemons remind me of this serving tray that we have which i'm always admiring - i'll be watching closely to see how the "blues" go...

cheers,
gord

frida
05-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Fantastic Meisie!!! :clap:

Meisie
05-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks folks...I was going to update last night, but then as you all know, WC was down, boy is that ever a shock to the system :p so here is the last scan, and then I worked more last night...and hope to, later today as well. I'll post the update tonight. 'k?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/24673-lemons_on_black3.jpg

Meisie

piper2
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Meisie, nice . . . . The one lemon in the middle (half in bowl and half out) seems a little too distorted, but I can't remember the ref. photo so it might be that way in real life too. They look so lovely and buttery though.

Meisie
05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
That poor lemon does look the worse for wear :) If you look closely you'll see several discrepancies with the original...I call it 'freedom' teehee ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/24673-lemons_in_a_dish_weezy_smaller.jpg

Meisie

Katherine T
05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Meisie - you've definitely inspired me to have a go at the black paper! So that's a big picture of glass on black paper - if I keep saying it often enough it'll get done before the end of the weekend!

Katherine

Meisie
05-20-2005, 03:31 PM
You've committed yourself now Katherine ;) We'll hold you to this one :clap:

Meisie

trudette
05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Wonderfull ,Meisie , you have done a great job !
I am going to get some black paper tomorrow and then I will have a go, too

wet
05-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Okay I made a muddy mess of the first one cuz I didn't wait for any advice. :o I am going to need to BE commited after this one. ;) Maybe I'll try the next one on black. I'll show them both when I get it done. Little slower than usual. I have four boards with *Quality Roofing and Construction Co.* laying in my garage I need to finish. :crying: Meisie that is really looking great!!

lynn1
05-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I've decided to try this photo by 'mustcreate' in the RIL.

It's been in my 'to-do' file for a while.

Is it OK? :)

catchlight
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
I think it's perfect! Can't wait to see you working on this one! You may have to fend off everyone else who wants to do it too now hehe :) Especially Karen, she seems to have a glass collection obsession :D

Meisie
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks Trudette (waiting to see yours!) and Wanda...Wanda I know you'll come back with a masterpiece! :wave:

Lynn that should be a fun one to do! Are you working on a white bg?

Meisie

lynn1
05-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Ohhh...yes..it's will be white Stonehenge. I need a much easier one to try on black. :)

gordoiye
05-20-2005, 08:47 PM
meisie, i see more "red" in the lemon ref photo - or that could just be me...

gord

Meisie
05-20-2005, 09:23 PM
hmm more red...Thanks! I'll look into that....here is the latest update. Wish I always had so much time to work on a drawing ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/24673-lemons_on_black4.jpg

Meisie

catchlight
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm stunned Meisie, that's just brilliant :) Not a lot I can tell you!

Katherine T
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Wish I always had so much time to work on a drawing ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/24673-lemons_on_black4.jpg

MeisieIf they have any more downtime, they'll end up generating an awful lot of posts of new work because of all the time we've got on our hands!

This is looking super Meisie - really, really nice!

And, I'll have you know I've 'broken my duck' on black paper. My downtime special is in Robin's thread!

catchlight
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Have to admit, I finished an entire commission yesterday and got started on a whole new one that's almost finished too thanks to the downtime. Perhaps I should request one downtime per week in order to get some work done! We'd probably crash the server good and proper afterwards though by posting all our new work :)

BKWYRM
05-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow, Luscious Lemons! I can't wait to try some of these great photos. Yeah, isn't it amazing how much artwork we can get done when there are no computers to play with.

Katherine T
05-20-2005, 10:17 PM
I've got my big piccie from Weezy so I'll be starting tomorrow.

Weezy
05-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Meisie, I don't think they looked that good in the bowl! Wow, nothing like setting the bar, is there?

I'm starting mine tomorrow evening. I'd better get hopping seeing as how Meisie is about done. It sure looks good.

Karen, which one was it you wanted a larger version of? I will send it if I can figure it out.

Lynn I ran across that one again yesterday. That should be a super one to do. Looking good.

Do we have any guys doing this? Did we get any new folks? I am losing track...no surprise, over 50 you know.

Katherine, what the heck is "breaking a duck"??

I'll check back in Sat morning to see if we've anybody else showing some work. Meisie, you put us all to shame. Good on you! :wave: :D

Meisie
05-21-2005, 02:43 AM
Your Shinyness? No comments? :eek:

Thanks for the nice comments all of you :)

Could I have feedback on the bg? I do like it very much, just not sure whether I'm nit picking some areas...so if anybody has an opinion ;) then if it's the same as mine, I'll know I'm 'right'. Make sense?

Nice to be almost done...now I can enjoy the rest of the projects appearing here. :D Can't wait! There is something fascinating about glass.

Meisie

Karen Cardinal
05-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Meisie, I love what you did with your picture! That is fabulous! :clap:
I don't see any problems with your background. I like the way you did it!

Weezy, I would love to draw either of these images if you have larger versions. Please send the largest images you can.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00006.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/46700-Lemons00005.JPG

Also Rosa, if you have larger images of either of your pictures... I'd love to draw one of yours as well! :D

You can send any of your glass/crystal ref photos to me at [email protected] Thank you so much!

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! This is so much fun! :D

Meisie
05-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks Karen...can't wait to see yours...are you working on black or white paper?

Meisie

catchlight
05-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Your Shinyness? No comments? :eek:

Thanks for the nice comments all of you :)

Could I have feedback on the bg? I do like it very much, just not sure whether I'm nit picking some areas...so if anybody has an opinion ;) then if it's the same as mine, I'll know I'm 'right'. Make sense?

Nice to be almost done...now I can enjoy the rest of the projects appearing here. :D Can't wait! There is something fascinating about glass.

Meisie

I think it's gorgeous wonderful and splendiforous! I wouldn't change a thing not background or otherwise. Boy Meisie, talk about setting the bar! I absolutely love it. I think your background sets it off wonderfully and the whole thing is brilliant, crikey you don't need my help! - you can't have my tiara though hehehehe :D

Meisie
05-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Tiara won't suit me ...it'll slip and be in the way suits you perfectly though :D

Thank you for the encouraging comments! Much appreciated...this is my second go at glass (first being the marbles) I don't really know what I'm doing yet...

Meisie

catchlight
05-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Meisie, if you have no idea what you're doing it most definitely does NOT show :)

Meisie
05-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Then I 'fooled' ya! I just drew what I saw...mostly :D And it magically appeared to my great relief...meaning the glassy bits. The bg and the lemons are not new subject matter... :)

Meisie

Katherine T
05-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Meisie - I think this is one of the nicest paintings I've seen you do - and you do nice ones.

What I particularly like about it is that extra bit of 'look at me' that you get from the balance/contrast/tension - call it what you will - between the slightly sketchy background and the more tightly rendered glass. It looks really relaxed and very well controlled at the same time - quite a feat to pull off - but one of the things I associate with somebody being an excellent artist. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

Katherine

PS Do we have a new Queen of Gleam here?

PPS Weezy - Meisie and Wendy won't have had a problem with the phrase - they know all about cricket! 'Breaking a duck' is when you get out at cricket without scoring a run - very ignominious. I've thought ignoring the fact that paper comes in this black colour as a bit the same!

marilyn h
05-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Question? How are you finding the time to do all these wonderful drawings? I am so amazed at all the wonderful glass work that is going on here. I have had no time to do any art, up until last night, for weeks. I'm jealous!!!!!

Can I ask one other question. Would it be artist rights to brighten the lemon that is so dark in the forground. It is so obvious and yet so dark and unhappy. I am sure this is a compositional matter, but just wondering if that is a problem or not. The glass and the rest of the lemons are gorgeous. The bullseye lemon dulls the rest of the "Happy little painting."

Katherine T
05-21-2005, 06:46 AM
:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi Marilyn - long time - no see. But you've got to look even if you have no time to post! I hope we see some more of your artwork again soon - I've got some nice shiny fishies coming up later today!

Katherine

marilyn h
05-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Thank you Kathrine T. Your trip has been a wonderful vacation to see. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I have been lurking a couple times a week, so I am so far behind in projects and such. It has been fun seeing what everyone is doing. Inspiration!
Looking forward to the fish!!!!

ams
05-21-2005, 07:31 AM
Meisie, your bowl of lemons is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thank goodness, I'm not trying the same ref. :evil:

Here is my blue glass so far. It is 8x10 on gray Stonehenge with Prismas. The paper is tinted just enough so I can establish my highlights in white and see where they are as I work on the rest. It isn't tinted enough to affect any of the colors. Very nice to work with. I wish I had ordered more than one sheet. :(

I have included my initial sketch and the painting so far.

Anne

Katherine T
05-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Looking good Anne - this was the other one which attracted me so I will be interested to see how you tackle it.

BKWYRM
05-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Anne, I had my eye on that one as well. Nice beginning. Paper looks yummy!

catchlight
05-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Wow Anne that's looking brilliant so far! I have no idea why any of you guys think you need me! I've had utterly nothing useful to contribute so far hehe :)

I'm willing to compromise, we could make Meisie Queen of Gleam and I shall remain Her Shinyness :) (oh and I want my tiara!) :D

Katherine T
05-21-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm willing to compromise, we could make Meisie Queen of Gleam and I shall remain Her Shinyness :) (oh and I want my tiara!) :D You're going to have draw a nice shiny sparkly one then! :D

catchlight
05-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Then I 'fooled' ya! I just drew what I saw...mostly :D And it magically appeared to my great relief...meaning the glassy bits. The bg and the lemons are not new subject matter... :)

Meisie

That's it exactly, all you do is draw exactly what you see :)

And Katherine, maybe I will! :D

joannd
05-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Okay, I'm fessing up...I've been lurking in this thread and hesitant to join. I need to stretch though, so count me in.

Mesie, your lemons are fabulous and Anne, your blue glass is coming along wonderfully..It's the one I've chosen to do first...then I hope to do one of the lemons. As for the others, they seem way too complicated for me at this time...I'm thinkin the blue glass is more complicated than it looks and I'll have almost as much trouble doing the fabric as the glass...so here goes..Here's what I have so far...The sketch doesnt show up on the paper, but it's really there..the only thing I sketched was the glass. I prefer to do most of the details in color as I go..it just seems to work better for me that way...

Oh yeah, I'm using Prismacolors on Stonehenge white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2005/24406-blueglass1.jpg

All help is appreciated!
JoAnn

BTW Anne, what colors have you used so far...I really love how yours is turning out..

ams
05-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Joanne, you are off to a good start. Just as you observed, this blue glass has a lot more complexity than I expected.

The colors I have used so far are white, cloud blue, blue slate, copenhagen blue, indigo blue and shhhhh, 20% and 50% cool grey.

I found that what worked for me was to just look for the dark and light areas, then look for the medium areas. I really have tried not to think about what I am drawing so I don't start putting in what I think should be there instead of what is there.

Anne

joannd
05-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks Anne, I printed the photo in grey scale and I think that will help me see darks and lights better. I only thought of that this morning..I've been using Ultramarine, white, non-photo blue, some Black Grape, Light Cerulean Blue, a tiny bit of Marine Green, (just to see what it would do), and yes some grays, French gray 30% and cool gray 50%. I like grays and I think they work if you use color with them.

Thanks Weezy for starting this thread. What a great idea!

JoAnn

Weezy
05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Just go tback from the CPSA meeting, and yup I joined! I'm offocial now. It was fun and we had a wide range of subjects that were shared and a wide range of abilities with a lovely demo and hands on exercise. It was fun.

JoannD, glad to see you taking part in all this fun! You will get all the help in the world her form her dual highnesses, Wendy and Meisie...I am hunting a large version of the lemons for Karen and I am prepping my board for one of these myself. Just cannot make my mind up. I hate decisions if they don't come quickly. AND I just got finished with the lemons already.

Katherine, where's yours? I'll show you mine, if you show me yours! :evil: :D

There wasn't a single piece of glass that anybody in CPSA did. I should steer them all here, ya think? :wave:

Katherine T
05-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Here's where I've got to with mine after about an hour and a half and a very dodgy scan. It's on Canson navy blue Mi Teintes. C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2005/48045-WCreflections-merger.jpg

joannd
05-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Katherine, this is going to be awesome.
JoAnn

lynn1
05-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, here's mine.

As you can see..I've been working mostly on the grapes so far.

I'm using cream and yellow as an underpainting on the light ones and 1 layer of process red under the darks.

C & C welcome here also.

lynn1
05-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I love you're loose style, Katherine.

Are you going to do all the beads? :evil:

Weezy
05-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Katherine, this piece looks made for your style. You can just allude to the beads loosely, and not draw each and every one. I think I must have had you in mind when I took that shot, the way you are taking to this one. I love the colors in the vase in this one, and I definitely see the vein of Monet-like approach that you are using in the Venice pieces come into this one as well. Carry on, we'll be waiting and cheering. And Oh yeah, I found a bigger mirror for the next time. (Are we gonna do this again????)

Karen, if you read this, I have at least 2 versions of these lemons and glass on three computers here at home and they are all the reduced versions, and unless its on my work computer, you are out of luck or I'll simply retake them. I am getting frustrated. Too darned many computers to keep track of and too many files. I will get back to you ASAP, as soon as I know for sure.

JoannD, your beginning looks good, how is it progressing?

Anne, I love the beginnings of your piece as well. I'd better get a move on tonight. Maybe I'll have something to post by tomorrow.
C y'all. :wave:
Weezy

catchlight
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Joanne - I think you've made a great start. Turning it greyscale is a great idea and really helps to see what's really there! You've got the colour great so far, remember to look for all the really teeny wee bits of other colours that are there too and you'll do brilliantly :D I'm so impressed with what everyones doing!

Weezy - aww I'm so jealous, I wish we had a CSPA here!!!

Katherine - Wow! Trust you to take on the most complex one! This is going to look so awesome in your style, I love the colours on that glass vase, I can't wait to see more!

Lynn - that's looking awesome too! I think grapes are actually quite similar in a way to glass, you've got that translucent look down for them so the glass won't be a problem.

You lot are so good! If you think I'm sharing my titles and tiara's with all of you you've got another thing coming! *giggle* :clap:

Meisie
05-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Thank for all for the nice comments...but we'll leave the tiara with wendy....it'll tarnish in my care :p
Nice to see some more items pop up here...katherine the colours in that vase are great. Turning out to be a great thread ;)

Been a looooong day...I'm tired!

Meisie

Weezy
05-22-2005, 02:05 AM
ok, SHE WHO HAS NEVER DONE GLASS BEFORE ENTERS...... Yikes. ... this is not easy.

As you can see I have several things not very good about this, primarily the photo which has a definite yellow cast for the over head incandescent light bulb. Sorry 'bout that. But its 11p.m. here and everybody is asleep but me. I do a lot of that since I've started this type of work.

I have started the whole backeground, very lightly, but its awfully hard to see in this shot. I also used my very first metallics in the background. This is a new paper for me also. It's an Arches smooth, I think that's cold press, right? I cut a sheet of it up and this is the first time I am using this support. You'd think with pencils there wouldn't be so much to learn, but between application, type of pencils and kind of paper, the variables are infinite. And I havent' even thought of trying suede paper or anything like that. I'm still trying to get the papers down as to what I like and why, and in combination with what pencils.

So this is begun with Verithins. I think old habits are hard to break. Its sorta like fat over lean in oil painting. Waxy over hard??? Does that make sense? I then segued into Prismas and Polychromos. I am really blocking in at this stage. Trying to get the glass to look like glass instead of some stiff fabric. Its hard with this shot to see all the little slivers of light, so I think I'll have to simplify them a lot.

Anyway, here's development #1. As you can see, I sort of work all over the place, not any one area too much, just all over. This is about 2.5 hours work, and its about 9x12.

OK Miss Wendy. I have a plan, but tell me what to do next.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/46700-Glass_Lemons01Red.jpg

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 02:31 AM
I have started the whole backeground, very lightly, but its awfully hard to see in this shot. I also used my very first metallics in the background. This is a new paper for me also. It's an Arches smooth, I think that's cold press, right? ..............So this is begun with Verithins. I think old habits are hard to break. Its sorta like fat over lean in oil painting. Waxy over hard??? Does that make sense? I then segued into Prismas and Polychromos. I am really blocking in at this stage. Trying to get the glass to look like glass instead of some stiff fabric. Its hard with this shot to see all the little slivers of light, so I think I'll have to simplify them a lot. Looks great to me.

If the Arches is very smooth, it's probably Hot Press rather than cold press. It's like the difference between the two sides of Canson - the smooth side is more like HP and the chicken wire side is more like Cold Press which generally has a slightly rough surface - but not as rough as 'rough'.

I think your approach makes complete sense to me - very much the way I start. And interesting you're using metallic pencils - I've also used the metallic blue for the first time in ages on the glass of mine.

Katherine

Meisie
05-22-2005, 02:42 AM
ooooooh Looking promising weezy! :clap:

Meisie

catchlight
05-22-2005, 04:01 AM
Wow Weezy great start! You're doing brilliantly :) I think keep on the way you're going, the important thing is to make the contrasts really deep, which you're doing great so far. You can get away with almost any colour so long and it's got really good strong values and you protect your whites since they're really important for the glisten of the whole thing. Just look really really closely to see what's really there, and like others have said, use a greyscale picture as well to see the values and even try working upside down to make sure you're really drawing what you're seeing. I don't think you'll have much trouble though, you're doing great! I'm really interested to see how those metallics go too!

ams
05-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Katherine, I love your start on the vase. You always manage to use such exciting colors in your work and this is no exception. I look forward to seeing how you handle all of the detail in this ref.

Lynn, the grapes are off to a good start. I'll be watching for the next post.

Weezy, I am definately getting a feeling of cut glass from yours. I love the colors you have so far and the strong value contrasts on the glass.

This is my next scan of the blue glass. I burnished the blue area some to blend the colors and make the transitions more gradual. I also worked on the stem and the base and some of the shadows.

Anne

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Lynn -nice start

Anne - that looks like it's coming along nicely - I like particularly the subtlety of the glass base.

Weezy - where's the next one, what do you mean you've been asleep?

Katherine, I love your start on the vase. You always manage to use such exciting colors in your work and this is no exception. I look forward to seeing how you handle all of the detail in this ref. Wait no longer - here's the next post!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-WCreflections-merger2.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the way the vase is turning out and even more pleased that I realised where its reflection is! :wink2: Pearls are going to be suggested rather than precise as Weezy suggested. I think I've nearly finished the background - but keep finding an excuse to go back in an add another colour! Only one small erase so far which I'm finding quite amazing - I think it's because I decided that I wasn't going to get hung up on the drawing, so haven't gridded up or anything this time - just straight eyeballing (as opposed to squintyeyed eyeballing?)

Anyway, I've still got my shades on for this one!

Weezy, next time (you can tell I'm enjoying this!), can we have one with lots and lots of nice coloured refracted light in your new mirror. Maybe within one colour group?

Katherine

Weezy
05-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Katherine, Get out of my mind! Too funny. I was driving on my way to Michael's (do I ever go to the grocery anymore? can you get CPs there? no) and the thought occured, what if I used a colored gel foil on the light? What would that do to the shadows? I can try it, but it will mean a trip to the camera shop downtown. That may take a bit.

It may be possible to do this digitally, however. But, I think it's just easier to use a light colored filter in PS to get the effect. But I will have to do the testing thing and give you the empirical knowledge rather than my logic driven hypothesis.

Anyway, this is fodder for a future project isn't it? What do you all think?

Today is Harley riding day with hubby. Tonight I will work on my glassy lemons. I swear I will be having lemonade before this is over. So while watching the last installment of Deadwood I will be working feverishly on my glass. So there will be no further post of my piece until then.

C y'all,
Louise

Weezy
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
OK Katherine, just for grins and giggles I took one of my shots from the glossy photo shoot and put a couple of red-to-transparent filters on it and this is what I got. Is this even close to the kind of thing that you were hinting at? Keep in mind that all other shots before this were straight photos with no manipulation after the fact. Not so, this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/46700-PearlsWRedREduced.jpg

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Got the old brain cells whirring then!

Yes, more so although I was really referring to just having much more space to see how objects reflected on the surface they were sitting on. The filters give really rich colour though - very interesting.

I came across a photography website that's new to me and likely to interest you (if you don't know it already) - I'll e-mail you the details.

Katherine

trudette
05-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Well here is my contribution.
But after the great posts you lot have posted so far , I am hesitant to join in .
But I will give it a try anyway. :)

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 12:55 PM
We're all learning on this one Trudette - looks like you've got a jolly good start going there.

Katherine

piper2
05-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Katherine - what a shock, that you of all people would be tempted to go back to the background and put more colors in. (insert fake shocked expression here).

Weezy - having not done glass before and therefore having absolute no value to my opinion, I think that maybe your glass would look more glassy if you made your edges sharper. It seems to me that all of the highlights and reflections in glass are very crisp-edged.

I do want to try something glassy -- I just can't thrill myself with a still life. Maybe I should get a photo of my dog Peanut holding a goblet or something. While sitting on a mirror.

lynn1
05-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Weezy...looking good...You should be able to do lemons in your sleep soon. :D

Anne...Great Job.

Katherine...I really envy your style...I can't seem to get away from 'detailing'.

trudette..keep going girl...that looks great.

Here's an update on mine. I've started on the glass now..but the grapes aren't finished yet.

In grayscale..this has very little darks...That's quite a change for me.

Comments?

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I do want to try something glassy -- I just can't thrill myself with a still life. Maybe I should get a photo of my dog Peanut holding a goblet or something. While sitting on a mirror.

Well go on then - get your still-life set up and take the photo - no time to waste! There again, you are taking your CPs into the delivery suite aren't you - lots of nice shiny things in hospitals! ;)

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Here's an update on mine. I've started on the glass now..but the grapes aren't finished yet.

In grayscale..this has very little darks...That's quite a change for me.

Comments?Glass is looking very good :clap: :clap: - and each to his or her own Lynn - we each have our own styles, and being true to how you see it is what it's all about.

piper2
05-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Well go on then - get your still-life set up and take the photo - no time to waste! There again, you are taking your CPs into the delivery suite aren't you - lots of nice shiny things in hospitals! ;)

Yes, a nice still life of a scalpal and an IV bag, entitled "Anticipation." Sounds thrilling!

Actually, I did take my sketch book into the delivery suite last time. I redid a drawing of the pain scale for the nurses. They hand you a little sheet that says, "The nurses will ask you how your pain rates on a 1 to 10 scale" and under that they have five smiley faces with the numbers under them. It starts out with a big smile, then a little smile, then no smile, then a frown, then a frown with tears. Mine had the five smiley faces and the numbers, but the first one was a really toothy smile, the second was a mild smile, then the third had sweat breaking out on their brow, and by the fifth one, their eyeballs were bulging and they were pulling out their hair. I thought it was much more useful.

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 03:15 PM
How did I know? :D :D :D Take the battery eraser with you this time - really psyches them out!

catchlight
05-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Anne - looking great so far! I think this is going to be really good :) Don't forget to look for all the other little colours too!

Katherine - I love that little vase!!! I love the whole thing really. I too wish I could manage that lovely loose look you do. It amazes me you can make that little vase look so transparent without thickly burnished colour! (okay that sounds really daft Wendy).

Weezy - gels? foils? filters? I have no idea what language you guys speak sometimes :D And I don't like shopping anywhere that doesn't sell CP's either!

Trudette - that's looking great so far, don't feel embarassed or worried at all, everyone's facing the same issues and yours looks really good so dive on in and enjoy yourself!

Lynn - I'm loving it so far! You've got a great translucent look to the grapes and the glass is coming along beautifully. This is going to be a lot of fun to watch!

Maggie - as wonderful as your naming ability is, I'm starting to think we should crown you Queen of Comedy instead! You never fail to make me laugh :) I can just imagine the nurses faces when they saw your newly drawn pain scale hehe :) Perhaps you could do one with a nurse holding a syringe and entitle it "give me drugs NOW!!!!" and one for your husband entitled "You are NEVER going to touch me EVER EVER again!!!".

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I think this might be the final post - if only because I'm having a terrible time with the scanner on this one.
C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-WCreflections-merger3.jpg

If somebody knows the colour recipe for pearls I'd like to know what it is - I went too bluey purple on mine (or rather Louise's! ;) )

Katherine

ams
05-22-2005, 07:07 PM
trudette You are off to a beautiful start. Don't feel funny posting. Every one of us starts at the beginning. We are all on a journey of discovery. Enjoy the journey and don't worry about where you are. Just have fun. You are off to a great start on this.

lynn I am starting to see the sparkle of the glass. Keep going and it will appear. :D

Katherine I love how colorful your painting is. I also love the sparkle and reflections in the vase. Beautiful.

I think this is the final post of mine (unless someone sees something). Wendy, I did add some colors but I wanted to keep all of the colors cool so I was careful what I added. I am surprised at how it came out since I didn't have a clue what I was doing! Thanks for the class.

Anne

rosebard
05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Weezy, and all the others subies.

That is a great thread. Lovely works already on the way.

piper2
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
I think the nurses were more scared than amused, Wendy.

And Katherine and Anne, I don't remember the references exactly, but I'm going to be the whip cracker here and say that there must have been some darker values in them. They both look beautiful but both look undone to me. Anne, the much lighter stem on yours bothers me a little. And Katherine, your plate looks like it needs some anchoring with a shadow or something.

I am quite opinionated tonight, watch out all subscribed threads!

Weezy
05-22-2005, 10:20 PM
OK, I'm back and you should see the pictures I got of wildflowers gone nuts! Whole fields and meadows of them!

Back to work as Maggie has her whip out. (didn't I tell you not to get that thing out? That's how you got that way!!! :evil: :evil: )

First off, I am posting a picture taken in natural light so you can see that the bloody thing is not that yellow. It's white paper for crying out loud!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/46700-Glass_Lemons02Reduced.jpgThat was the first iteration, which you all have seen and I agree the crispness is hard to maintain.

Here's the second installment. I worked a bit more on it. This paper is giving me fits. It feels like its filing awfully fast. Is it just me? Don't know yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/46700-Glass_Lemons03Reduced.JPG

Well I got out my alcohol. (Bet you all thought I meant my MARGARITA!) Just thought I'd try it instead of solvent and see if there was a difference. I used Q-tips to blend the background in. I like it better than before the alcohol, and some of the tooth has re-appeared. It makes the bowl of lemons pop more. Now I can concentrate on the bowl. UGH! Glass....who thought of this darned thread anyway?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/46700-Glass_Lemons04Reduced.jpg

I agree with Maggie that I need to keep my edges crisp. Drat. Any other comments? :wave:

Weezy
05-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I didn't want to get sidetracked on my posting, now I'll comment on the others I have seen posted.

Maggie's possible right with Katherine's needing a tad more shadow. But watch that value K, cause its singing and you don't want to lose that. I positively LOVE this piece. Very nice.

Trudette, You are doing beautifully. Some of us are over-achievers. The other edge to that is when we fail, we fail spectacularly. I always feel like that commercial they used to do of the Wide World of Sports in the states where this poor man attempts a ski jump, and at the end of his spectacular fall, maybe had one or two bones not broken in his entire body. Just do you piece the best you can. I think it's lovely. I like your piece and I just wish more people would post theirs. I bet there are lurkers out there who could post some beauties as well. But they are taking the easy way out. We will learn what we do not know. It's an opportunity not taken in thier case.

Anne, yours is doing very well and I can't wait to see more, is it really finished?...

Lynn, you are doing great too! I think I'd like to see the darks pumped up some too. But the grapes look so good.

Bard, join in....you can't learn as much on the sidelines.

JoannD, where is your post? Have I missed it? I hope not. You are doingvery well. The elipses on that glass are not easy to do. But you have a good beginning from what I saw.

Rosa, where's yours??? You said you were joining in! We're gonna hold you to it! :wink2:

Didn't Gord say he might do this one? Where is that man???

Meisie, did you post a final, final?? I love what you did with that bowl.

Golly what a variety, and everyone's is a really good example of their style. And this exercise shows just how much we all vary. Keep going everyone....I love what you all are doing.

Gotta go back and draw some durned glass.....mutter, mumble, sneer......

catchlight
05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Katherine yours is soooo nice, you know, I'd be enchanted by a picture that just included that jar! I think it's just so good! All the others have given their advice about anchoring it and that would look good too I think, the reflection is just sooo intense in that photo anyways. I think you're mighty brave taking that one on hehe. When I first saw it I thought "crikey, noooo way I'd try that one" should have known it'd be the one you picked!

Bard- c'mon join us! You know you wanna!

Anne I think it's fantastic, you've done great! I know it's a bit of a weird glass anyway with that pale stem and colourful body but I love how you've handled it. If it were mine I'd probably punch up the values a little and burnish it BUT that's because I have a very heavy handed style, I like the lightness and softness of yours. It makes the glass look very gently laid amongst the folds of fabric and mine would look very firmly planted hehe! I really do like it as it is or if you decide to do more, either way I think you've got the glass thing sussed :)

Maggie - I ain't telling you nothin' in case you come after me with that durned whip! Poor nurses, they should get danger money looking after you! ;)

Weezy - I really like the difference that solvent made! You're right, it crisps up the edges and makes the glass pop a lot more. I really like how you've got that little distorted wavy line up near the top of the bowl and the crystal cuts you've got on each side look great. Just keep that up for the middle and you'll be fine. I think it's the dramatic contrast in tone that crisps up the cuts and good sharp edges. I really like it so far, you're doing great. Perhaps we shall dub thee Queen of Lemons....or Lady of Pucker perhaps :D

Meisie
05-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Not quite a final final from me, no....I'm going to try to warm it up a tad with some orange, and increase the highlights if I can, I might have to spray to be able to add more, the Artagain doesn't take many layers.

oooo the other glass goodies are coming along....ummm glassy? :p :clap:

:D Meisie

joannd
05-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Katherine, Anne, Weezy, Trudette and Lynn, (hope I didnt miss anyone) you guys are just blowing me away with this. Weezy, what's not to like? yours is awesome. Mine is not doing well. I'm trying to decide whether to try to get all the color off this one or just start another. Maybe pay more attention to the drawing this time. Yeah, the elipses are driving me nuts. I'm not sure this is salvagable.
JoAnn

Weezy
05-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Actually Joann, this could be a derivative kind of thing if you pushed the drawing to be a little less literally descriptive. I'm thinking in a Van Gogh kind of style. It would definitely be unique and might be quite wonderful. So push it in the other direction and see what you get? It's a thought, and it would be an intensely personal translation of that photo. I'd add some fauve colors rather than literal color depiction. Push it. Break out. Make decisions you wouldn't ordinarily make. Make youself do something very different and not safe. That is one option.

I think that if you are not satisfied with the drawing, go ahead and trace the picture. This exercise is not meant to be an exercise in drawing elipses. It's 'how do I do glass', right? So give yourself permission to make this exercise easier than you are making it. Or use a grid if that sets easier on your mind. In any case do not let the problems you first ran into sidetrack you to that degree that it takes the wind out of your sails.

Or, you could do both approaches and tell us what you learned in the end. I keep saying its the journey, and it truly is. Do don't allow this piece of paper to be a limit on you. C'mon Joann, show us another post!

bsnowden
05-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Is this class open to beginner coloured pencils users? This sounds like a real challenge and a good way to get my feet wet. When does it start?

Bernice

joannd
05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Okay, here is my entry before taking some color off..I think the mistake I made was in putting too much color in. I cant seem to get any depth in the bowl part of the glass. Louise, I DID trace the glass part, but very lightly because I dont like to see the lines and if I erase, I get those impressed lines that are so hard to deal with. It actually looks better this morning after a good night's sleep, maybe I'll stick with it...Like they say, it's only paper. And maybe I will add some more colors and not try to make it exactly like the photo..Thanks, Louise, for giving me the freedom (sometimes I need permission to do that.)

All suggestions are welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/24406-blueglass2.jpg

JoAnn

lynn1
05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks Katherine, Wendy, Anne, Weezy and JoAnne for your comments on my drawing.

Katherine..I do see a few places where you could go a bit darker.

I'm having the same problem...mine has very few dark 'darks' but then green grapes are not very dark.

Anne...yours turned out beautifully very fragile, soft looking. :clap: :clap:

Weezy...Your lemons are looking great. I love all the different colors you're using in the reflections.

JoAnne..I think you did go a bit too dark and lost some of your Hg's. Have you tried lifting with tape?

Bernice...Sure it's open to everyone any time. Hop on in. ;)

I'll have an update pretty soon. :)

piper2
05-23-2005, 11:13 AM
JoAnne, if I were you I would be tempted to try either burnishing or solvent to smooth up the glass a bit. Burnishing would take away your tooth, but solvent can be a little unpredictable in my experience. I just think you'd probably be a bit more pleased if you disguised the pencil marks a wee bit -- though as we can see from Katherine's, that can add to the piece.

Weezy
05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Bernice, go check page 1. One of the rules is, anyone who wants in, is in. The last and most important one is have fun with it. So c'mon and join. We are always happy to get newer people join in.

We are all learning. Nobody knows it all here. (except maybe Her Shinyness (Wendy) and Meisie (Gal of Glam and Gloss)) These 2 know how to do glass. The rest of us are all learning. :wave:

Oh yeah, and there is no dunce cap in this class! We are all too classy (not to mention glassy) for that! :D

trudette
05-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Well, here 's an update .
Pffjew...........this is hard to do ..........
But never mind , I keep on trying.
It's great to see how everybody sort of does it differently .
C%S are very wellcome.
trudette

Weezy
05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Joann,
I think after looking at your piece again, that the problem I see is the loss of the white areas. I do not know if they are retrievable at this stage. I think I would try to remove some pigment and see how far down to the paper I could go in search of the white highlight.

Also I wonder if your paper might not be a bit too rough to get that smooth edge that glass requires.

Let us know how that pigment removal fares, and what your resolution is. That's why this thread has value. Every body is learning. :D :wave:

AuntBe1
05-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi All, Your paintings all look wonderful, I'm especially impressed with those lemons. I can only stay for a sec. I hurt my neck on thursday and by about 3 on Friday I couldn't take the pain anymore and went home from work. Been in bed on a heating pad. I had to come back to work today so I thought I'd check in on this thread. I'm not ducking out of the glass exercise, :p I still want to do it, it just may be a while before I heal and can get back to drawing again. :crying: :crying:
Ok gotta get off the computer. Will check in tomorrow if possible so that I can see all of those beautiful SHINY, GLITTERY pieces of artwork!!!!
Go Team!!! :D
Belinda

lynn1
05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
trudette..yours is looking very nice.

Here's an update on mine. I'm not liking the foreground..yet. :(

Meisie
05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Lynn you're getting there...you've put lots of detail in, as you build the values, it'll come together.

Meisie

trudette
05-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Lynn I love your grapes , lovely shades of green , looking forward to your next stage.
I feel very temted to do something with grapes, I have some nice pictures of them in my computer waiting to be tackeld.
trudette

Katherine T
05-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I was working late and gave myself a short break and had a quick peek at what you were all up to and looked at this thread. And then had a look at my last post and gosh was it dull compared to IRL! Just goes to show how much our monitor screens affect what we see.

Katherine

ams
05-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Joanne You may not be able to lighten a large area. I would suggest you try to get just some small highlights fairly light and lighten the inner part of the bowl a little under the folded napkin to make it look as if you can dimly see the fold through the glass.

trudette Wow, you really have made a lot of progress. I really like how this is looking. You have captured the transparency and the shine. I agree, this turned out to be really hard. I picked it because I thought it might be one of the easier ones. Hah! Did I get a surprise!

lynn The glass is coming along great. I love how you can see the grapes through it, distorted by the shape of the glass. Good job.

I am going to take another look at mine tonight and compare it to the ref on the monitor. I think when I print out my reference photos, I lose some of the contrast. I'll post again if I decide to work on it some more.

Anne

ceebeenet
05-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi, I'm new to the colored pencil forum.

I think I'd like to give it a try, I've never tried glass before, actually, I've always drew animals and portraits.

I'm a little bit intimidated, you guys are so talented!

catchlight
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Joanne panic not! You are actually only doing this in precisely the same way as I do :) If you have a look at my glass bottles thread you'll see what I mean. There's no problem at all with going just as dark as you like, that doesn't ruin the transparency of the glass. It does help to preserve your whites BUT all is not lost. If you can erase enough to put a good white highlight in the odd place that will be fine, if you can't, try dabbing a little acrylic paint there. NOW, what you need to do to take it to the next step is make it even thicker by burnishing in order to get a good smooth finish. Then use much darker darks for the dark bits and then put a good thick white wash over for the glossier bits, adding any little extra bits of other colour that you see fit. It's a simple way of doing it but works well. Even if you burnish, you'll probably only need another layer of dark and light so you should be able to maintain enough tooth for that.

The other option is to leave the burnishing for a bit yet until you've established your darks a bit more. Either way, you're doing great, don't panic :)

Bernice - you're totally welcome to join in, there's no time limit so go for it! :)

Lynn - wow, totally love it, you're doing great!

Trudette - I love how your's is going too:)

Katherine - yours looks wonderful even if it's duller than the original, and if THATs dull then the original must be fantabulous :D

Ceebeenet - Don't be intimidated, we're all buddies here :D You'll do great, everyone has to start somewhere and we're all learning something as we go along. The more the merrier! Plus if you have difficulties, it gives us a chance to work together to solve them and everyone gets to learn something. If everyone does it perfect, we'll never learn a thing!

ams
05-23-2005, 07:41 PM
I pulled the ref up on the screen and the difference was pretty dramatic. I had missed a lot of the darks in the printing of the ref.

I worked from the screen version and added some darks. I feel it is much better. Thanks Maggie for the comment on the values. I have suspected before that the print outs didn't include the full value range but I didn't expect to find this much difference. In the future, I will do a final check against the screen before I call it done.

Anne

joannd
05-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Anne, your glass is fantastic..I LOVE it! and thanks for the suggestion. It seems much better now...Thanks also your shinyness for your suggestions. It's not great, but it's a lot better I think.

Ceebeenet, welcome to the forum. jump right in on this..it's a learning experience and boy am I learning!

Here's my latest scan..I also have trouble with fabric (as if you couldnt tell)..I'm not stopping though. Thanks everyone who encouraged me not to trash it. I'm just happy it resembles a glass.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2005/24406-blueglass3.jpg

JoAnn

Weezy
05-27-2005, 12:36 PM
This is the next to the last iteration of my glass piece. I like the way the table mat lays. I actuall did more form modulation in the bowl by adding in some shadows so the bowl turns better, but you can't see it in this shot. I think I got the glass thing going on, and its awfully colorful. But I did enjoy this project.

I am enjoying wathcing everybody else's progress even more though. We are all learning so much by doing this! I am rating this one because of the learning that's gone on and the community involvement. Way to go everybody!

OH its soooooooooooo good to be back. :clap: :clap: :clap:

joannd
05-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Boy it sure IS good to be back! Louise, your glass is amazingly gorgeous! I LOVE it!.

lynn1
05-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Hope this upload works.

Here's my finished project.

C & C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2005/50786-web.jpg

Weezy
05-27-2005, 02:06 PM
thanks JoAnn!

Lynn, its gorgeous!

joannd
05-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Lynn,
I dont think it did. I dont see an image.
JoAnn

frida
05-27-2005, 02:16 PM
I see yours, Louise, which is wonderful!!! :clap: I don't see Lynn's image, though. What's the secret to upload right now? :confused:

piper2
05-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Weezy and Lynn -- nice. Lynn, it's true about the print-outs . . . I guess it's my fault because I don't want to waste the ink and print them out on the absolute best quality, but definitely I lose a lot of the darker values and detail that way. I did my last piece in front of the computer instead and got a great result and a backache for my efforts.

lynn1
05-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I posted the first one with the image uploader. I'll do this one as an attachment.

I'm having problems seeing some images too. Let's hope it's just temporary. ;)

I see Weezy's as a thumbnail and I shouldn't. I have thumbs turned off.

lynn1
05-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks Weezy...I love your lemons. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Weezy
05-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Thank you very much. I am going to have to cut the mat myself, cause as usual, it's not standard size. Dolt.

You'd think by now I'd have figured that out....but no. This one is rather square in form. So that means custom mat and frame...... and $$$$.

But I want thank you all for the pointers along the way. Its my first glass piece, and as much fun as it was I am sure it won't be my last. It's really good to stretch and grow, and a little unsettling too. But that is a good thing.

Thanks your Shininess! :D

C'mon now the rest of you! Let's see those posts! :wave:

joannd
05-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh Lynn! I love this piece..I've seen it done before, and yours tops all! What a great job.

I'll be back later with my latest effort. I re-did the blue glass and am now working on the lemons..This has been a lot of fun and I'm learning so much!
JoAnn :)

lynn1
05-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Maggie...Sorry I missed thanking you in my last post.

JoAnne...what a sweet thing to say. :o Thank you.

frida
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
You are doing wonderful work Lynn!!! :clap: You have improved your technique ten-fold and have shown an incredible amount of patience with the subjects you choose... Your dedication is certainly bringing in great results!

ams
05-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Lynn, I love the job you did on this. I like how I see the green through the glass.

Weezy, this came out great. I like how the lemons are distorted in the bowl.

Anne

catchlight
05-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Wow you lot are fabulous! Everything (that I"m able to actually see at the moment doh) looks fantastic :) Don't know what any of you needed me for!

Katherine T
05-28-2005, 06:36 AM
I'm rating this thread because of the level of learning which has been going on in this thread. So many people doing something they thought was maybe a little too difficult and finding out that not only could they do it but that produce really good work!

Well done to all the current participants - any more for any more?

Katherine

dcee
05-28-2005, 06:03 PM
My 1st 'original'-HELP!

Hi to All :wave: Glad you're back on line.

I'm a newbie to WC! and to art. Just started last fall. I'm learning CP thru books and kits. This is the first time I've ever tried to do anything on my own.

I picked the red bottle because I'm trying for contrast. I am also attempting to learn watercolor and submitted my 1st ptg to WC! for C&C. Got good reviews but I found out that I HAVE NO VALUES! :crying: :evil: Since then I've been looking at everything thru my digi camera black & white setting. Amazing! All my old CP stuff is pretty, and pretty washed out. So I'm going for BOLD!

This image doesn't look anything like real life. It's MUCH gaudier. I used neons for the first time as underlays. I'm thinking carnival glass so I'm not trying to make the bottle magenta like the ref. Only have a half dozen layers so far. Using Prismas on Stonehenge. The big problema is the shadows--the most important part. The shadow's in two parts. Are they composed of the same colors? In the photo ref one part looks green and the darker part looks maroon/black. Should I make the entire side of the bottle as dark as the shadow?

Thanks in advance for any C&C. I really need it.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/58271-bot3_1_5_1.jpg

joannd
05-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Diane, It seems to me that you're accomplishing your goal here. It is a very good start. Welcome to the CP forum...You'll get a lot of help here..Glad you joined us..and thanks for sharing this with us.
JoAnn

Katherine T
05-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Welcome Dianne - it would be help if we could see your reference - can you post it?

dcee
05-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Sorry about that Katherine. Here it is............http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/58271-57873-magenta_bottle.jpg

Katherine T
05-28-2005, 07:03 PM
If anything the side of the bottle is darker than the shadow - which is sort of what I would expect. You need to keep the reds you're using in all the shadow areas to ensure you tie the whole image together. You'll find if you start to use a dark green on top of the red shadow that it will go towards a dark greeny red black. Just start very slowly and lightly and keep putting it at some distance to you so you can keep checking values.

At this stage it's really helpful to have a greyscale of the photo and a greyscale of where you're up to with the painting and compare the two to see where your values are correct and where you need to do some more work - and then check again as you're getting towards the end. You'll be surprised at how much more work you have to do on values than you think you do - it's a perennial problem which most of us suffer from ! I think all colour pencil painters must be born optimists! :D

Katherine

Meisie
05-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Nice work here! weezy like you bowl :clap: :clap: :clap: (and the lemons too :D)

Good start Dianne....and welcome...

Lynn! nice job on a ref/work that looks really hard to me! :clap:

I'm sure I've forgotten some folks, but I'm short on time and flying.....

Meisie

Asher
05-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the CP forum, Diane. You've gotten off to a great start and now you need to continue building up layers and values. Katherine's given you excellent advice.

Sanford

Weezy
05-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Nice to see you here Diane. I'm glad you found this thread.

Your work is lovely, and you and the others are right. It needs a bit of value push. Keep builidng those darks and it will read 'glass' far more effectively. you have found a real helpful group and we will haunt you now till its done....
We're awfully good at that. Her Shininess (Wendy) told me that I needed to keep my whites crisp to have the subject read as glass. I found that difficult if not darn near impossible. I think you need to keep your highlights crisp as well. Otherwise you are progressing nicely.

Welcome to the group! :wave: :D

catchlight
05-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi Dianne and welcome! I agree with everything everyone else has said :) Katherine and Weezy both gave you wonderful advice as always :D I like what you've done with the ref shot too, almost didn't recognise it! I like the idea of going for something really bold to break into using really strong values. I think you're doing great :) Like Weezy said, don't forget your highlights, they've very very important to create a really good shine in the same way as having a catchlight in an eye makes all the difference to making it appear glassy, it's the same with anything shiny :)

Keep going and show us more! :)

lynn1
05-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments on my glass and thanks for starting the project.

It was fun to do. ;)

Rosa Weitzel
05-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Here is one I've been working on for a while, did it in watercolor and won a ribbon on it. Took the picture in Alaska while waiting for the kids to arrive so we could go on a cruise. Total fun memory but I cant find the ref picture will look for it.

lynn1
05-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Very nice, Rosa..Congratulations on the ribbon.

wet
05-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Okay here is my TWO pathetic attempts. You can't see it but I am soooo pouting. The second one isn't done but stumped on where to go from here. :( Is there such a thing a furry glass? :wink2: I totally forgot to do the shadow! I just realize it seeing it on my monitor. :o

Weezy
05-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Wanda, there must be furry glass cause I know there are furry teeth in the morning from having raised kids.....yuck.

The only thign I see is that there needs to be a bit mre hard edges to your highlights. try lifting to get to sem hard whites. If you've lost them, maybe soembody else would have an idea before resorting to the old white acrylic paint trick. The values read really well on both , though.

What does Her Shininess say?

Gotta go pack......

wet
05-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Weezy I will have to use paint to get the hls. My power eraser whouldn't even work. Oh and I am not worthy of Her Shinynesss' consideration. (I wish we had a *hangs her head in shame* smiley.)

Asher
05-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Wanda - you've got nothing to hang your head for. They both look great on my monitor! Having to use a bit of white paint is no big sin.

Rosa - beautiful job and congratulations on the ribbon!

No fair, Weezy - I just had a late breakfast! :D

Sanford

wet
05-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Sanford. After trying to do these I stumbled acrossed a quote and thought it was very fitting. So I made it my signature. :D

Katherine T
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM
That's one of the best quotes I've seen in the signature banners ! :D

Asher
05-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Love it - that's a great quote, Wanda!

Sanford

wet
05-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks Katherine and Sanford. As soon as I read it I just laughed out loud. Even finger painting is better than a blank white sheet of paper. :D

Rosa Weitzel
05-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Wanda love the quote and the glass, you can allways put in the shadow.
I like them.

Rosa

catchlight
05-30-2005, 01:23 AM
LOL Wanda, I'm not sure I'm worthy of commenting, I think you did a great job! I really do. A bit of acrylic for the highlights and you're set. You do the most fantastic eyes on your furry critters, so just think of it as a very big eye! It's not too late for the shadows after all.

Honestly, I think you did really truly very well!

I love that signature too!

AuntBe1
05-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi All! Great job on the glass! I like the new setup on the forum. The only thing that I don't like is that when I click on the thumbnail, it doesn't open in a new window like it used to, but that just may be something that I need to change on my computer.
I can only work on mine a few minutes at a time because of my neck injury, but it's been hard to put it down once I start. I've learned a lot so far and am amazed at all of the different colors it takes to do this! Not much done but will plug away at it until it's done. Here goes!
Belinda

ams
05-30-2005, 01:08 PM
You are off to a great start Belinda.

I know what you mean about the number of colors. I picked the blue glass because I thought it would be the simplest one to do since I had never tried glass before and was I surprised!

The setting to open a new window for the thumbnails is set on WC. It has been reported in the "problems" thread. In the meantime, if you RIGHT click on the thumbnail and select "Open in a new window" you will get what you want. I accidentally closed WC several times before I read about this work around.

Keep going on the glass. Hope your neck feels better.

Anne

Meisie
05-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Looking good Belinda, I know you're persistance will pay off.

Meisie

BKWYRM
05-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Your bottle is terrific so far. Must be because you're no stranger to red! ;)

Asher
05-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Wonderful start, Belinda! Everyone's seems to have gotten the glass bug.

Sanford

Katherine T
05-30-2005, 06:36 PM
This is looking really good - keep it up!

wet
05-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh Belinda this is looking great! I wish I could look over your shoulder while I was doing mine. :wave: wanda

catchlight
05-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Wow Belinda that's going so great! It's incredible the colour you can find in these isn't it? Hehe, I really have no idea what any of you thought you needed me for! :D Belinda you are truly the queen of red :D

joannd
05-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Belinda, this is going to be amazing..My compliments to all the artists in this thread. You guys are blowing me away with these. I've started the lemons in crystal and here's what I've got so far. I know I've a long way to go, but I'm just happy it looks like cut crystal. I think it's much better than my blue glass. here goes..Oh, and it's on MiTientes white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2005/24406-lemonsinglass2cropped.jpg

All suggestions welcome

JoAnn

Katherine T
05-31-2005, 03:55 AM
Lemons looking very good - well done Joann. However the highlights in the crystal aren't reading so well on my screen. Do you have a battery eraser and an erasing shield? I think you might want to go back in to the crystal and lift some tiny bits out to get back to some of the highlights. One of the things I learned from this project is creating highlights on coloured paper is a whole lot easier than preserving highlights on white paper. :rolleyes:

Is everybody remembering to rate this thread?

joannd
05-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks Katherine, I've worked a bit more on this since I posted it last night. Yes, I do have a battery eraser and erasing shield. I will try lifting highlights using that. I completely forgot about the erasing shields, (duh...theyre' right there on the tray I use!). I'm just beginning to experiment with the colored papers..It does seem easier to create hightlights on it rather than lift off or save whites on white paper. I'll post my update later.

Yes, I'm rating this thread..This is very valuable to me...

Thanks Weezy for starting this (even though I know you're gone until Wednesday.)
JoAnn

bsnowden
05-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone,
Just got back on line last night and wanted to show my start. I haven't done too much on the background or glass yet. I need to know how to darken my lemons without going black. Any other suggestions welcome.

Bernice

trudette
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
I wish I 'd chosen another reference picture , this blue glass is doing my head in . :o LOL

joannd
05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Trudette, your blue glass is fabulous! I think all you need to do is darken some of the cloth and go from there. If my blue glass had turned out nearly as good as yours, I'd be bustin my buttons!

Here is my second attempt at the blue glass.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2005/24406-secondblueglass.jpg

Bernice, Your lemons look great to me so far. Great start. I darkened my lemons first with a light layer of lilac, then more yellow, then as it got darker, I used Parma Violet, then more yellow, then tuscan red and grass green at the very darkest. I'm not sure if I'll add more darks to the shadows or not. I'll decide that after I finish the highlights like Katherine suggested. That's just what I did, maybe it will help. You have to be careful though using purples and yellows together or it gets too brown.

JoAnn

siberart
05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Wow, I just saw this one. Great photos and I am jumping right in.

That is about $100 worth of lemons in that bowl!!! I usually have to get an estimate before I an buy any up here.

AuntBe1
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Anne, Thanks for the tip on opening the thumbnails in a new window. I missed being able to do that. I also accidentally closed WC several times. :rolleyes: (Hey! new smilies!) I hope my neck feels better too! I'm used to staying busy and I'm getting very irritated with not being able to do anything for almost 2 weeks. Going for x-rays in about an hour.
Thanks Meisie, Katherine, and JoAnn!!
Kathy, Thank you and yup! I do love red!
Sanford, Thanks, I've really been wanting to try glass, and now thanks to Weezy I am. It's nice to branch out and try something other than portraits.
Wanda, Thanks so much! Just as I wish I could look over your shoulder when you paint your beautiful cats!!!
Her Shinyness Wendy, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Queen of Red, hmmm I like that! :evil: :D
I'm going to go back and look at all of the glass paintings as soon as I can. Can't sit very long. Gotta get up and move around a bit. Hopefully, I'll post an update before too long. (Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't mess it up.)
Belinda

ams
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Bernice, JoAnn's advice sounds good. The purples are the complements of yellows so that's what you need to use for the shadows.

trudette, your blue glass came out great. I did this one as well and it was MUCH more challenging than I expected it to be but I sure learned a lot!

JoAnn, the blue glass looks better this time. I have a comment on the light going through the glass and landing on the white cloth. If you look at the reference you will see a round blue pattern to the left of the glass that is formed by the light going through the glass. It might add to the transparent feel if you include those light patterns.

Anne

joannd
05-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks Anne. I agree with you about the transparency of the glass. I think I'll do it one more time (third time's a charm right?), maybe I can actually get it right...
JoAnn

trudette
05-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks Anne. I agree with you about the transparency of the glass. I think I'll do it one more time (third time's a charm right?), maybe I can actually get it right...
JoAnn

Sure you'll get it right. Try marking the light spots first.

ams
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
JoAnn,

JoAnn

If you're going to try it again, look into the blue glass itself as well. Look at how you can see the fold in the cloth through the glass but not very clearly. The shadow of the fold follows right into the glass but it is less defined. This will give you the transparent feel. Look for light and dark patterns in the glass also. Also make sure the highlights are a bright white.

Anne

bsnowden
05-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Joanne and Anne and all,
Thanks for the colour tips for the lemons. Here they are a little further along. I also added a light brown for warmth. Plus, a little more done on the glass (left side not done). I think I'm straying from the original colours. What do you think?

Bernice

joannd
05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
I LIKE it! I think it's coming along great. Your crystal looks really good. I think your colors are fine...they dont have to be exactly like the picture. They look like lemons and your light source looks consistent to me.

Thanks Anne, I plan to be much more careful about the details if I do the blue glass again. I have such a hard time "seeing" details. It's one of the reasons I like CP and challenged myself to do this glass project. I'm going to practice, practice, practice until I do get it right.
JoAnn

Katherine T
05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Joanne and Anne and all,
Thanks for the colour tips for the lemons. Here they are a little further along. I also added a light brown for warmth. Plus, a little more done on the glass (left side not done). I think I'm straying from the original colours. What do you think?

BerniceI think this looks perfectly lovely and very promising. Your glass looks particularly good - bit more work to do on the lemons but it's coming along nicely. Just keep going - you;re very much on the right track. Have a look at Meisie's and Weezy's lemons again if you get stuck.

And congratulations everyone - and thanks to Weezy for starting this - we now have a five star thread! :clap::clap::clap:

catchlight
05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
A great start Bernice! I really like the simple and soft treatment you've given the glass, really nice :)

catchlight
05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Joann, I love your lemons and bowl, like katherine said, I think a few highlights would make all the difference but you've done great! (ps - what the heck is a battery eraser? How does one obtain one of these fabulous sounding beasties? and what is an erasing shield? - I can't help but feel I'm missing out on a lot here in the wopwops of the world)

And Trudette, that's a very very impressive glass! Well done!

Belinda - not at all sure if there's much I can tell you, you're doing fabulous!

Woohoo 5 star thread :D

bsnowden
05-31-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Everyone,
This is as close to being finished as it will ever be because the paper is getting thin in places and won't take any more pencil, let alone erasing. I used pastel paper, which I liked because it was quite smooth, yet had a little tooth. I'm going to try a smoother surface next time. I am pleased with the sketch overall, since glass and coloured pencil is not my usual thing. I've learned quite a lot from this study, mostly about how not to do things. Lol! But I had fun folks! And now I will do another. Something a little easier this time! (thumbnail is kind of pale but the larger size is pretty close).

Bernice

joannd
05-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Bernice,
Very nice finish! I especially like the crystal and the highlights right on the lemons. What kind of pastel paper did you use?

Your Shinyness, here is a picture of my battery-operated eraser and an erasing shield. You can usually find them in office supply stores.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2005/24406-eraserandshield.jpg

JoAnn

Katherine T
06-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Good graphic arts stores will also tend to have them. It seems to depend on whether your art store tends to serve mainly a community of 'hobby' artists or people who earn their living from graphic art.

Also - do people have / use a set of French curves (http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/f/f0317300.html)? I keep looking at them and wondering whether to buy a set.

Karen Cardinal
06-01-2005, 03:01 AM
Good golly! Everyone has such impressive works here! I'm totally astounded by everyone. Fantastic job people! :clap:

Ok... can I admit that I find it easier to make sparkling hightlights using white paper? Just keep a "dot" of white free of color then use a white pencil to "drag" the white into the color around it. Also remember to put in your dark darks too. That makes your whites look brighter.
... and a touch of cloud blue around the highlight makes it look more realistic. ;)

Hmmmmm... I think I've said these things before. ;)
I don't think you guys need any advice from me though. You are doing fantastic! :D

Katherine, I wouldn't get the curves unless you do a lot of design work or have a specific purpose for them. I used mine exactly once and finally ended up giving them to my mother-in-law. She does interior design and uses them quite a bit.

Katherine T
06-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Katherine, I wouldn't get the curves unless you do a lot of design work or have a specific purpose for them. I used mine exactly once and finally ended up giving them to my mother-in-law. She does interior design and uses them quite a bit.That was sort of the conclusion I'd come to - I think unless I'm starting a tea cup series in the near future I'll leave them sitting in the store.

catchlight
06-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Bernice well done :) You've done it in such a nice soft style but still keeping the crispness of the glass, lovely :)

Joann thankyou for that! I want one! I've never seen them anywhere here before but I'm going to ring round a of the more obscure places tomorrow to try and find one. Can they do very fine erasings? I would love something for erasing fine hairs in graphite. Either way I definitely want one!

bsnowden
06-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks Joann And Wendy and All
I think the paper I used was Canson (I've had it for a long time so I can't be sure). It was a pale grey so it was hard to get the highlights. Grey is great for pastel though. I started with white first and worked from there. I should have planned the highlights a little better. I'm so used to acrylic where you can dab them in at the end. I am looking at the drawing in the morning light and can see that my edges aren't as crisp as I'd like them. Guess you need a really sharp pencil. Don't have a mechanical one yet nor a willing body to do the work for me so I have to sharpen as I go (which is not always easy when you're deep into a drawing, LOL). Something about this drawing cries for me to do it as an acrylic painting. Mua-ha-ha. I must resist. I will conquer this coloured pencil business yet!

Bernice :)

trudette
06-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I made some pictures of a glass of water and a apple Yesterday.
I don't know whether it's allright if I place them in this thread . ( if not I 'll move it to another thread)
The glass has six corners and because of the water in it, a real challange to me.
Anyone who wants to have a go on this one , feel free.
I can sent a bigger reference photo if needed.

Asher
06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Katherine - I also have a set of French Curves; left over from my previous life doing product design. Now, they just gather dust. They're an expensive luxury - money's better spent on another set of colored pencils. :D

Sanford

wet
06-01-2005, 10:07 AM
These are all so impressive! I am glad this thread is rated, very valuable stuff. Karen what you said about leaving the white and feathering it out then adding blue.....that is exactly how I do animal eyes. :confused: So why such a hard time with a bottle? Hmmm maybe just the size or maybe because there is no pupil! :D Maybe I will try the blue one and add a pupil. :evil:
Thanks Belinda, and any time just don't start calling me *cat women.* :wave: :wink2: :D
What does a french curve look like?

joannd
06-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Wendy, with the battery eraser you can very carefully "sharpen" the eraser with an emery board to make it into a point and erase even finer lines. Just hold it next to the emery board or fine sand paper and turn it on letting it rub against the rough or fine side. Just have to be careful to stop when it's what you want. .(does that make sense?) You can also erase with the edge part of the eraser stick for finer lines. I'm still experimenting with it too even though I've had it for a long time.

Okay, here's my final of the lemons and crystal. At least I think it's finished. What do you guys think? Does it need more highlights or shadows?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2005/24406-lemonsinglassfinal.jpg
JoAnn

evansd
06-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I love the pictures that are being produced here,all of them are great.

I thought i would join in if thats okay, i call it "Saphire & Steel".

I need some help with the saphire your shinyness,i have attached two pictures of the saphire(really a pendant off of a wind chime) and i'm not sure which one too go with,the first has more aqua in it the second more sort of blue and purples,their actually the same pendant in different light.
I'm going to try and put some light reflection on the bg somewhere as well.

Cheers,Dave. :wave:

trudette
06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=joannd]

Okay, here's my final of the lemons and crystal. At least I think it's finished. What do you guys think? Does it need more highlights or shadows?

You've done a teriffic job , so far.
I suppose it could do with a bit more light/dark management. And it might be your scan or my computer but the lemons look rather orange to me.

joannd
06-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks Trudette, now that you mention it, they do look a little orange in real life, but not quite as orange as in the scan. I think I will do a little more light/dark management too. It doesnt look quite as bright in real life as it does on the scan.

JoAnn

frida
06-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Can they do very fine erasings? I would love something for erasing fine hairs in graphite. Either way I definitely want one!
A battery eraser will not erase a fine line! Apart from that, I think they are worth many times their weight in gold... I have a Sakura, which I ordered from DickBlick at 35% discount. I have also bought one for less than $10, and it does the job, but is not so nice to handle as the Sakura.

To erase thin lines I definitely recommend Frisket film. It may be considered expensive, but my package is lasting me a few years. You place a piece on top on the area without pressing, and run an old pen (that has no ink) along the line you want to free of pigment. Unlike Scotch tape, that can be deadly because it removes everything it touches, even without putting pressure on it, the frisket just removes what you have pressed on with a tool.

Another narrow tool can be an embossing tool. For different size areas I use a wooden clay modeling tool, or one I made out of a bamboo chopstick. I use frisket to clean edges, or correct slips of the hand, sometimes I just rub over it with the CP I have in my hand... I always keep a piece attached to my drawing board!

evansd
06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Here's an update on Saphire & Steel,i just went ahead and don't really know what i'm doing or know where the lght source is coming form but i'm enjoying it and i think it's turning out quite well.

lynn1
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's an update on Saphire & Steel,i just went ahead and don't really know what i'm doing or know where the lght source is coming form but i'm enjoying it and i think it's turning out quite well.

Looking good...Try using a layer of white under the facets you want really light.

The sparkle is what you're trying to capture..Don't make all the blues so close in hue.

Does that make sense? ;)

catchlight
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Trudette, there's not problem at all with trying other pictures or posting them here! If it's glassy or shiny this is the place to go! And I like what you've done so far!

French curves - phwoar sounds sexy :D

Joann - whether you're finished with your lemons or not pretty much depends on your style and what you're looking for. It looks great to me, perhaps I'd punch up the values a bit more but I think it's fine as is as well :) See glass isn't that bad at all!

Dave - I think this is going to be great! I think the sapphire you chose looks just fine (sorry I was sleeping when you posted your question hehe). Just remember to keep in some nice bright highlights and keep it smooth, like you're doing. The best tip is just forget that you're looking at a sapphire. With the steel, remember to think of reflections in it from the surroundings and don't let it get too dark. Although shiny things do have very dark parts, the majority of the object is usually very light or even white in the case of chrome. A lot of bright highlight with reflections of the things around it in it, distorted depending on the shape of the object. This is going to be a really interesting peice and I love the title too, I LOVED the Sapphire and Steel TV program when I was a kid :D

Frida and Joann thankyou for the advice on the battery erasers and for the advice on erasing fine lines, that's so helpful! I really like the friskit idea Frida. I've not been able to find any of that here but I do have a cunning plan for using the same principle on what we do have :)

This thread is so interesting and so much to learn for everyone! I'm actually about to start working on a very detailed cut crystal glass but it's in graphite, so I guess this won't be the place to put it. Perhaps I better try a coloured version :)

joannd
06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
This is looking really good Dave. Glad you're joining in. I cant wait to see the next installment.
JoAnn

evansd
06-02-2005, 05:41 AM
lynn1,
thanks for the advice,i dont know whether i am pushing too hard on the CP or maybe going over an area too much because i am using white under the light areas,but all the blues do look very similar dont they.

catchlight,
Saphire & Steel,i remember that wasnt Joanna Lumley in it,thanks for the tips on steel and chrome, i find this quite hard to do,i'm looking into the saphire and trying to see where the lights and darks are and i find myself being distracted by all the different shapes and light moving around,i'm doing this from the penant hanging next to the drawing and even if you change your body level it looks different form every angle.

Heres a glass i tried in graphite awhile ago, does it make every one feel dizzy.

joannd,
thanks i'm enjoying this thread and not from a far like normally.

Here is a little update.

Cheers Dave. :wave: :wave:

catchlight
06-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Yes it was Joanna Lumley! I just loved it :) It scared the *beep* out of me because I was only a little kid but I couldn't stop watching it all the same :)

I think this is going really really well Dave, honestly. I like your steel alot, it looks fine as is I think. I also think your sapphire is great too. I think you've got enough variation in it because I can see a sparkle :) Maybe a tiny white highlight or two if you wanted to. I like the style of the whole thing and it looks great to me. All I'd add to any of it as I said would be the odd bright highlight. LOoooovely :) I like your graphite too, hehe you're right, am going cross eyed! :D

BKWYRM
06-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Whoa, Dave, I wasn't wearing my glasses when I looked at your graphite piece! Wow, now I think my eyes are crossed for the rest of the day. The sapphire colors are just scrumptious--can't wait to see more.

joannd
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Beautiful update Dave! I like the graphite too, just can't look at it too long (brain is already scrambled).
JoAnn

Weezy
06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Wow! I think I need to leave more often! You are all doing great things. Dave your stuff is wonderful, sparkly and quirky and JoAnn, yours is soft and glowing, just like your personality. You have gotten the lemons down just right. This is just amazing stuff.

I cannot remember who said that there was about a hundred dollars of lemons in that bowl. Wow! What a bring-me-down-to-earth that was. We tend to take regional things for granted, because that's what we have always had. My lemon tree over-produces and lemons are cheaper than water some times of the year. It made me think and appreciate what I had. Thanks.

As lovely as everyone's work is, the thing that is most special to me about this thread is the sense of community. How very uplifting this thread has been to me. Thanks to all who have participated. And if there is someone who would yet like to take part, please do. This sparkly thread has brought out sparkle junkies from all their closets! Too much fun! And the learning has been in abundance, as were the lemons. I'm glad everybody has had a good time with this. :clap: :clap: :wave:

joannd
06-02-2005, 11:28 AM
YAYYYY!!! She's back!!! Welcome home Weezy..We HAVE been busy havent we? Thanks for the compliment on my lemons and thanks for helping me stretch.
JoAnn

AuntBe1
06-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Here's another update. At this rate, I'll be finished sometime in July :p
Belinda

joannd
06-02-2005, 11:57 PM
It will be worth it Belinda..This is wonderful!
JoAnn

Weezy
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Belinda, those purple deeper hues are just juicy! This is sooooooooo nice so far. Don't keep us on tenterhooks.....post again soon. :wave:

Meisie
06-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Looking good Belinda!

Meisie

bsnowden
06-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Everyone,
I've been watching the thread grow and grow and grow. It's getting harder to find the finished images to drool over. Is there some place where we could post them all together for a little gallery show? Maybe it's too early for a glass showcase but it would b e nice.

Bernice

trudette
06-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Here's another update. At this rate, I'll be finished sometime in July :p
Belinda

Looking good , very realistic.
I am surprised by the way you work , you sort of finishing bit by bit instead of working over the whole image.
How do you manage your lights and darks if you do it this way?
:wave: trudette