PDA

View Full Version : Shady Lake--4 color sketches on location

Deborah Secor
07-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I got to go out with the Plein Air New Mexico group and paint at shady Lakes today,and boy did I have fun! These are my usual color sketches.

This one is on Wallis, 12x18:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/23609-ShadyLake1.jpg

This one is on beige La Carte, also 12x18:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/23609-ShadyLake_2.jpg

This one is about 8x8" on Wallis:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/23609-ShadyLake_3.jpg

And last is this one, on medium gray Sansfix, 23x4.5":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/23609-ShadyLake_4.jpg

Remember, I don't think of these as finished paintings, although occasionally one will make the cut. Usually I combine them with my photos to paint finished work in the studio.

Can you tell how gorgeous it was out there? :D (Though these are reading a little contrasty--oh well!) I love summer!

Deborah

Piper Ballou
07-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I think of all these, I really like the first one the best...think it is the reflection off the water that pulls me right into the painting.....and what a wonderful spot to paint
piper

momof6
07-02-2005, 10:55 PM
I tried to post earlier but had technical difficulty! So what I said was I like them all, my favourites are the first and panorama, and I really really want to do plein air one of these days! These are gorgeous Deborah!!

Khadres
07-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Love all of these! This does NOT look like Albuquerque! We don't have anything that looks remotely like this around here...I'd be out there every day if we did!

Ruth Grinstead
07-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi Deborah

You certainly made good use of your day of Plein Air. I love them all, but I think my fav is probably the letterbox format number 4 as it gives me more of a feel for the place you were at.

Ruth

Diane Cutter
07-03-2005, 06:59 AM
I love the horizontal piece. Where exactly is Shady Lakes?

Diane

Bringer
07-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi,

These are all great. My favorites are the first and the last.
I wish there were plein air lessons here.

Regards

Josť

Pinecone Conniff
07-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Looks like you and Shady Lake became one that day! :clap:
I love the different sizes & papers & compositions! Every one a treasure of Shady Lake! :)
Annette

Kathryn Wilson
07-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Hoooowee, look at you go! I looks like you had a great day - my fav is the last, but I am a fan of panoramic views. Your colors are wonderful!

ponting
07-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Wow!!!.. what a place....what a style.....everything about this post is exciting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

K Taylor-Green
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Wow, Deborah! All exciting. My favorite is the third one, also. I think, because it appeals to the way I paint. A cropping, a tighter slice out of life, the way I paint my animals. If this makes sense.

Nori
07-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Deborah, Your reflections are magical. I have a great fondness for slightly unfinished pictures that let you fill in some of the details in your imagination. The fun you had painting them shines.

Deborah Secor
07-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Thank you--it was a fresh, fun day. Glad you like the sketches... Um, Shady Lakes is along the Rio Grande, up in Bernalillio, north of metro Albuquerque. The lakes evoke memories of Monet. I heard more than one person murmer something about him... :) They're so cool and sweet compared to our dust and dry! Water is a cheap thrill in the desert!

Deborah

tURBOCAT
07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
These are wonderful!

I think there is magic because of the truly deep colors you have used for contrast - it makes them so rich. Could not begin to pick a favorite!!

Johnnie

Artistammy
07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I love these. Yours look so much more rich than my plein air was. Do you use softer pastels from the start? I didn't use sanded paper either but Canson. And I used mostly Grumbacher & Rembrandt....didn't get to a layer of softer like I had hoped. Yours looks rich & vibrant.
Tammy

Deborah Secor
07-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks... :)

Yep, Tammy, I use the softies--GA, Schmincke, Ludwig--a lot right from the start, then seem to lay in some of the Giraults. (I used to use the Rembrandts but not any more. Too hard.) I usually do a very quick, intuitive sketch on the already-toned paper using charcoal, just to nail in some of the big geographic spots, then smack into the color! Canson wouldn't give me enough tooth to create the depth of color and contrast I want/need/like.

Deborah

Artistammy
07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks, I will try some sanded paper next time & skip the hard pastels.
Tammy

Dark_Shades
07-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Dee these are absolutely gorgeous, and Im hard pushed to pick a favourite..... the colours are so lush (thats in the good sense of the word) ...... beautiful, your work has really turned on some.... and shows alot of growth and confidence.... love it..
Beautiful colours....
Gorgeous Greens ...... .... care to share some colours....... these are the sort of greens Id like to work with, but all I have are dull or luminous :P :P

Will put these in my favourites of yours