PDA

View Full Version : Bad News .....

Dark_Shades
07-02-2005, 07:05 AM
remember this little guy .....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/12116-CrackedUp.jpg

.... it appears he grew wings and flew ....... went AWOL and is currently flying around the USA .....

Ive had to refund the Sale, and now have to fill in claim forms....... which can take up to 3 months (for them to process), I always send my artwork with Insurance..... but also I have to PROVE the value of the item ........ not sure HOW I am to do that

:confused:

has anyone any ideas.... for now or for the future ...... how do you prove your arts value?

Khadres
07-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Why wouldn't the invoice or bill of sale FOR the piece be enough? Maybe showing invoices for other paintings of similar value? Seems to me if you sold it for a given amount and had to refund that much, that should prove what it was worth!

Dark_Shades
07-02-2005, 08:27 AM
um, well I Sold it for alot less than the Value I had Insured for lol..
...... so I guess Ive shot myself in the foot here.....

Can always prove the Selling Price, but not the Value of the worth

.... so I guess its Worth is only the Selling Price.....

hmmm something to Ponder over here I think

meowmeow
07-02-2005, 09:18 AM
:( That's a shame, Dawn.

If I see him flying around I'll let you know!

Sandy

Bringer
07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi,

Well, if you did an insurance, then activate it (is this the way one says it? ).
The forms that you're talking about are insurance forms or post office ?
When you talk about insurance you mean an insurance made at the post offices or with an insurance company ?
I can tell you I'm having a problem with some pastels I sent on the 6th. They were sent through USPS and about 3 days ago got a call from UPS here in Portugal saying I would have to pay 40 Euro plus VAT. Of course I refused it. Now I'll have to wait for it to go back to USA to see what happened. Then I'll be refunded or it will be re-shipped.
Maybe next time you'll have to include a return airplane ticket within the price of your works so you can deliver them :-)

Regards,

Josť

P.S. didn't they give you a tracking number ?
If you have a paper with a code, try going to the US posts site and use it.
http://www.usps.com

rosewood
07-02-2005, 11:24 AM
That is such a shame. I am so sorry. He is such a gorgeous little guy, too! I see the dilema about price and value...I guess it is something you don't really think about until you're faced with a situation like this.

If you ever find him, let us know. :crying:

K Taylor-Green
07-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Dawn, My hubby says that the receipt they give you for the price of the insurance is your proof of value. Did they give you a receipt for that?
As an artist creating a painting, only you can set the value of the painting. It's not like buying a gift for someone, and shipping it.
I hate that this happened, and good luck!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Dawn, did you check in the Internet Sales forum? They might have some help for you there.

You might try using a duck call - :)

HarvestMoon
07-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Dawn, that is so awful! That is absolutely the most adorable duck I have seen. I used to send things a lot by US mail, and they were items that I did not have the invoice for- so I used the bill of sale as proof of the value- I rarely (like once) had something totally lost. Last Christmas I sent my mother-in-law a Christmas present by mail, and we finally alerted our local post office, her local post office, and after 2 MONTHS the package (which was not insured and I had no receipt for) showed up. So there is always hope he will find his way to the destination. On this side of the water, we can get these little green tracking numbers with scanner codes on them for US mail- it is not nearly as good of a system as, say UPS, but it is inexpensive and does help a bit. Was your picture unframed? If so, it may have been sucked UNDER a conveyer belt on their package router- I have had packages of beads in bubble wrap do that- and be found with rubber marks on it and crushed the next time they service the thing or look under it.

Dark_Shades
07-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Hello All

thanks for all your kind concerns and comments....... I always send my works by Royal Mail International Signed For and mark for Insurance upto £250.00
The Receipt always gives a reference number for tracking, but heres the stupid part, as its going overseas, it can only be tracked here until it leaves our shores, which is always the following day :p
When I phoned for help regarding the matter (all automated - push this button, push that) the voice stated that international items should be received within 21 days from sending, if not then presume its Lost!!!!

This item was sent on the 14th May :crying:

Reading through the claim form, it states that I have to provide written evidence of Market Value (that I can not do :crying: - only the Bill of Sale)

But it does raise the question how do we get proof of the value of our work

...... I will post in the Business forum and see if they have any ideas......
Ill let you guys know how I get on with the claim, but would imagine it will only be the selling price along with postage :p

Strangely enough the last few have sent overseas lately have taken rather a long time to get to their destinations..... had to send another today, (making me nervous), but I tried Royal Mail Air Sure, it is a bit more expensive, but supposed to receive priority handling

I wonder if in future on the Bill of Sale if the Value was written on there it would suffice?

Kitty Wallis
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM
I would try showing them receipts for paintings sold for the value you place on this piece that are similar in size.

Khadres
07-02-2005, 03:13 PM
I can see their point of view on the value being what you actually sold it for...it's as if I send a tablecloth to Aunt Maud...original full list price was $100, but I got it on sale for $50. The Post Office isn't going to give me $100 for it if that's not what I paid. They'll likely tell you that you valued the painting at the lesser price or you wouldn't have sold it at that price. Does that make sense? Now, if you were GIVING the painting to someone as a gift, things would REALLY get sticky and you'd have to do as Kitty suggested, I guess. There are so many ins and outs to this sort of thing, it really makes things complicated for selling through the mails. When you get this resolved, please let us know how it turned out! Poor duckie!

Dark_Shades
07-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Thank you both........
lol I suppose this could be brought back to UNDER Selling / Under VALUING works

Lesson learned here for me for sure - and something I will look into more

though Sooz the idea surely of the Insurance would be that you could replace the item, you would be doubley out of pocket having paid out the insurance premium too.... but I understand your point
Hope Aunt Maud is happy with her gift lol

But heres a thought.......... Home Insurance, presumably we all keep our Art Work there or perhaps a Studio - BUT what would happen (God forbid, a fire, flood etc) ..... how would be go on with a Claim there - wouldnt have no Bill of Sale ..... whose to say the Value/Worth

scall0way
07-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Gosh, what an adorable duck. That is so sad. I hope it turns up eventually. I once shipped something overseas and it took *ten weeks* to arrive. That's one darn slow boat to China. (of course if the insurance is already settled I guess that could get sticky too).

But is is a shame to see something like that lost, after all your hard work. My neighbors two houses down just had their house catch on fire a couple weeks ago, and while they are all safe they lost every single thing they owned. There are lots of things I'd hate to lose, but especially all the art work I've worked on (not that much since I'm just a newbie artist! But still...)

Debbie C.

Diyart
07-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Hello
when I used to send artwork to the U.S. from Germany I always used registered
post or a courier service. The invoiced value was always insured. Of course the
postage costs more,but it`s better to have a proof for delivery.
In the very rare case of loss the buyer could get aproof that I had send it and I got the proof that he hasn`t collected it.
Martin

HarvestMoon
07-04-2005, 05:14 PM
That duck just may be sitting somewhere in customs- had that happen shipping to Italy once....

Dark_Shades
07-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi All

thank you ...... Purples, I wondered that too...... but wouldn't they contact the addressee and inform them or something?

I know my chat buddy in Texas sent me a Christmas Parcel .. Priority Mail .... somehow it slipped through the net, and took two months to get to me

I wish I could afford to send the USPS or Fed EX.... but that is soooooo expensive here

Deborah Secor
07-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Dawn, ask the gallery representing your work to provide an invoice with the selling prices of similar sized paintings... Or have a previous client or two provide a letter stating that he or she bought the work in a similar size and the same medium for the amount it's worth. Make copies of receipts you have given others for work that the same size and price--that should prove the worth! All you need is a paper trail that agrees.

Deborah