PDA

View Full Version : acrylics

royceswant
01-02-2002, 04:51 PM
:confused: I would like to thank all for the helpfull reply to my last post and at the risk of sounding really dumb, ask another question. I was looking at some art magazines at the local art suppliers and noticed that a lot of the paintings had 'giclee' listed with the credits. This is new to me, can anyone explain?-My computer is registered in Royce Swant but my name is Carol. Thanks again.

llis
01-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Carol, Don't worry that you will ask a dumb question. I've already done that so it can't be done again. *smile*

Giclee (zee clay) is a term used to describe a print made with inks from an original work of art. Most of the time Iris printers are used and a spray of ink creates the image on paper, canvas, or cloth.... or most of the time canvas-paper. It is supposed to be archival ink with a life span of about 100 years and is said to rival the original. I've seen these and I can tell the difference. I'm sure you can too.

By the way, Welcome to WetCanvas! Enjoy.

Michael2
01-02-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by llis
It is supposed to be archival ink with a life span of about 100 years and is said to rival the original. I've seen these and I can tell the difference. I'm sure you can too.

I look for brushstrokes. The absence of them usually gives it away.

Also, the 1287/3500 at the bottom also gives it away.

That Robert Kincade guy sue is making a lot of money selling his giclees. I think they are garbage, personally. At least the $50 oil paintings you see at some places (I imagine a huge studio in China where they mass produce those things and the "artists" get paid $2/hr) are original works of craftsmanship.

Keith Russell
01-13-2002, 09:04 PM
Greetings:

It's Thomas Kinkade, and I know he also sells 'traditional' lithographic prints of his works. (I'm not sure about giclees of Kinkade paintings.)

He does not sell his originals.

As for giclees, they do have a 'dot' pattern, though it's much less noticeable than that of lithographic prints.

(Although, I've always been able to see the dot patterns in giclees with the unaided eye, and I've seen some lithos where you'd be hard-pressed to 'spot the dot' even with a 12x loupe.)

Keith.