PDA

View Full Version : .. fat over lean

Wayne Gaudon
01-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Still trying to grasp this rule.

I blocked in a painting with mostly titanium white & ultramrine blue and alizarin crimson .. feather underlay of an eagle's white head and chest. I used the paint as is with no damar varnish or mediums.

How long must I wait before I can start to apply the glazing that will lay the feathering detail in using layer upon layer.

Do I have to wait a long long time as it supposedly takes up to 6 months for a painting to dry or can I start once it befomes surface dry???

New to oil so I am lost!

judithdagostino
01-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Well, the titanium will dry slowly. What happens is that the skin (surface) of the paint dries before the middle...causing a possible bubble if you put something on top of it - something that dries faster than the middle. It is pretty simple but the 6 month rule is something that I think bends depending on where you live (climate). I live in a very dry climate so it doesn't take as long. It also depends on how thick you applied the paint. So, it really comes with practice as to how long you should let something dry. I would say, if you live in a moist climate, give it 3 months. You may want to try alkyd paint which dries faster the next time and it is similar to oil paint. If the layers of titanium are not too thick I wouldn't worry too much. I don't know if this helps but good luck.

Wayne Gaudon
01-02-2002, 06:35 PM
that's a starter .. the paint is relatively thin so I guess it shouldn't take too long. Thank you.

vallarta
01-02-2002, 07:18 PM
The paint needs to dry so that the glaze does not amalgamate with the underpainting and become muddy. Usually, I find that you can glaze after 10 days without a problem.

I used to rush it and glaze as soon as it was dry to the touch and I found that the glaze "melted" into the underpainting. Now I paint 5+ paintings at all times and so in about 10 days or 2 weeks a painting is ready for glazing.

If you use Liquin or the special mix I make....you will find that the drying time lessens and you can usually glaze in 5 days. I suggest you make a test board and put on your undercoat colors in about the same amount as in your painting. Then try glazing and see if you get a transparent glaze or a muddy semi-opague glaze. This is an art form and you have to just learn what works for you....depending on the materials you use, the thickness of the paint, the temperature and humidity where the painting is ...etc.

vallarta

Wayne Gaudon
01-02-2002, 08:24 PM
thank you .. two weeks won't kill me .. I don't think.

Scott Methvin
01-02-2002, 08:40 PM
If want to speed things up considerably, use lead white, instead of titanium. Dry to the touch the next day. (Home-made) If you buy flake in the store, it will still be much faster than the titanium.

Egg tempera is another fast drying underpaint technique. (Hours, not days.) And historically safe.

Most folks use tupentine and thin out the paint. No white, just the canvas.

Try the lead, you'll throw away the zinc and the titanium:)

Wayne Gaudon
01-03-2002, 08:27 AM
.. thanks Scott, I'm using Water Soluible as the turps cause me grief and my options at the moment are limited. The last landscapes I have done, I have used Liquitex Acrylics as the base rough in and then put oils over them.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong on this but I have read that it is quite alright to do that. I know you can't put acrylics over oils as oils need to breath but acrylics don't.

Have requested a catalog from some online store so hopefully when I get it, I can have access to different paints from different manfacturers and that should give me more options than my local Currie store which just carries Artisan and that brand in itself is really limited.

Later,

vallarta
01-07-2002, 04:00 PM
It's fine to put oil over acrylics...especially glazes..do it all the time.
\
vallarta