PDA

View Full Version : Moon Surface

RonReekers
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Hello,

I've been away from Wetcanvas for quite some time and wanted to re-introduce myself by submitting an monotype. Printmaking is a great love of mine.

All your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Printmakerguy
06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I've been away from Wetcanvas for quite some time and wanted to re-introduce myself by submitting an monotype.
Great way to jump back in! I love this!

Tell us more- Size, method... The effect is really interesting.

-Andrew

zardoz
06-29-2005, 08:52 AM
welcome back , this is really intriguing . like Andrew said details ?

RonReekers
06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the interest.

It's on Arches printmaking paper, tan in color; 22" X 32" in size. Standard monotype retractive technique; that is to say, I inked up a Plexiglas plate with a large brayer and began removing the ink by using rags, Q-Tips, sharp sticks and whatever else I can find that might give me some interesting textures.

What I enjoy most is the lost of complete control and the element of chance when printing. It's also quick and can give surprising results. I'm in a very experimental mode right now so this technique is very exciting for me.

Diane Cutter
06-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Ron... This is a stunning piece. I like the size, it must be very imposing in real life...

We are so glad to have you 'back'... I love monotypes, for the very reasons you mention, so am looking forward to any work you wish to share...

Diane

H2O_Baby
06-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey Ron. Nice to meet you. The print looks like it has lots of visual texture Ron. I'd love to see the BIG MOON full size.

I like printmaking for the same reasons, well, I prefer to say that you never know what will happen - of course the unexpected can go both ways (and does in my case more than I desire)!

janemoth
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM
It reminds me of Galileo's sepia moon drawings, done directly from the telescope: http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/moon/images/galmoon.html
In Strange World of the Moon, published in 1959, the author draws his own images, saying that those with a classical love of observation can enjoy making their own moon images. It would be fun to make antique-type maps with cartouches and cross-hatching using information from NASA. Maybe it could be a group swap project someday.