PDA

View Full Version : Any tips and techniques on charcoals?

MossyCur
06-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I have a pack of charcoal pencils and whenever I try my hardest at making a charcoal artwork it turns out like scribbles and really sloppy sketches. I also need tips and techniques on making different kinds of textures, such as fur, in charcoal. Any kind of help is appreciated though.

Pars
06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Mossy Cur - I can't really help with techniques but would suggest you post in the Pencil (Drawing Forum) and I bet lots of the members will have some good ideas.

I usually use graphite, ink and watercolour pencils myself. I have a few books that give some pointers. You might want to check out a few in the library or in a large bookstore to see how they suggest making texture. I know I saw a few that looked promising. One I recall was called, "Sketching School" and it had some good charcoal exercises.

And charcoal can get messy, so you might put a sheet of clean paper near your work (and across the sheet) to avoid those spotches that often occur.

Good luck and probably someone will come along in Mixed Media and have an A-1 idea! :D

Mary Woodul
06-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Mossy, welcome to WetCanvas and Mixed Media. The best place to find information and tips about charcoal would be in the drawing and sketching forum. This is the link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19