View Full Version : Weekly Scumble June 27 Thru July 3

K Taylor-Green
06-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Good morning everyone! Welcome to our weekly chat thread. This is where we get together and talk about our lives, kids, jobs, pets, ups and downs. So, stop in and visit!

Still on baby watch for that last grandchild. Chris's dr. is planning an induction if she doesn't deliver by Wed. I know Chris is miserable.

Our Guild show went extremely well. We had something over 300 paintings in this show, up from 217 last year. Best in Show went to Cecile Baird, author of
Painting Light with Colored Pencil by North Light Book Club. She is such a talented CP artist. I don't do as much CP as I used to, hardly any, really, since discovering Pastels, but I bought her book and had her sign it, just because I know her!!
I was very happy with the ribbons I won, and there is always next year!

Nothing exciting on the home front, so will check back later to see if any of you are having an exciting day!

06-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Congratulations on your wins, Kate. It must be a wonderful feeling to have done so well!

Deborah - I read in last week's thread about your mom. I hope she is doing better.

Well - this was the weekend of the big move. Two households in one day - craziness. Because I work with the girl whose house we were moving into, we decided to share the cost of the van and double our manpower in one fell swoop. We started the day on Saturday, bright and early at the duplex. Loading up thier stuff didn't take very long because they had given away the bulk of their furniture and had just a few large pieces and some boxes. Then, once the last of their stuff was in transit, cam and I headed over to our place to get a head start loading our zillion boxes into my dad's trailer. Had that sucker packed to the gills, we did.

By the time we headed back over to the duplex with a full trailer, it was lunchtime so we ordered pizza and unloaded the trailer while we were waiting on delivery. With 3 box dollys the work went fast (the 9 people helping didn't hurt either). Then we ate Pizza and headed back over to the townhouse to load the furniture. My coworker's mother in law took a pretty bad tumble on our hill, so we lost one helper, but really we weren't bad off with 8 helper bees.

Amazingly enough, we got all of the big stuff moved within the 8 hour time frame that we had the truck. Fortunately wee still had my dad's trailer after, so we could get the last of it over in the evening and on Sunday.

Now we are just in the process of cleaning the old place (and tryingt o find time to unpack the new. We have internet there...but our computers are our last priority at the moment (work clothes are at the top of the list right now - you have no idea how hard it was getting ready for work today when I couldn't find clothes and all that was accessible was the grungey jeans I wore all weekend).

Anyway - there is a mini-update on my busy weekend. This week will be a bit insane, but I am looking forward to the long weekend to rest and relax! :D

06-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi, Kate. Sounds like the show was a great experience for you. It's good you're having a short breather between babies, but I guess you will all be thankful (especially Chris) when this one has arrived safe and sound.

Cori, so you're moved! :clap: :clap: :clap: Just reading about your day makes me want to lie down with an icepack on my head. :D I hope your ankle didn't give you too much grief. Whenever I've moved, I've made a vow, "Never Again!", but just like with childbirth, the memory of the pain fades.

I've been busy toting boxes myself in a much smaller way. We have a room which functioned as an office when my husband was working and my daughter was in school. It was stuffed to the gills with books, old computer monitors, and whatever junk didn't fit elsewhere in the house. It hasn't been painted in ten years. Last year I kicked the junk back a few feet and made a space to use as a studio, which I loved, but since my husband's illness I don't like to shut myself away where I might not hear him if he needs help, so I've moved back down to the dining room.

Meanwhile, my daughter's bedroom needs a serious makeover - I'm talking new drywall, new flooring, new windows - so we decided to move her into the office to give us free access to her room. Of course, we started this in the middle of a heat wave, but we got a lot of gruntwork done the first week and are now ready to paint. Would you believe, the local paint store doesn't have the colour we want? They decided to cut down on the number of colours to save space! So we have to wait until we can go to town.

So, it's a pity, but I'll just have to sit here and sip lemonade and play with my pastels.

06-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm a newbie here at wetcanvas, and to art in general, but I just wanted to say how much I've been enjoying reading these weekly scumble posts. It makes me feel like I know you all. :)

Debbie C.

06-27-2005, 04:14 PM
And welcome to the Scumble,too, Debbie!

Cori, so glad you got that move behind you! Now you can hopefully take your time unpacking and organizing in the new place. I HATE the final cleaning of the old place...I'm always sick of the place by then and could care less! LOL I, too, always say "Never Again!"...and no, I don't FORGET the pain, but sometimes we have no choice. We've been in this house for right at 20 years now, tho, and I don't EVEN want to think what it's gonna take to clear it all out and move! I might just hang out here til I croak and let somebody else have all the fun! :evil:

06-27-2005, 05:07 PM
:wave: We made it to the mountains! But without...you're not going to believe this...without our suitcase of clothes! :o lol The van was so full it's hard to think we didn't have it. I left it in the bedroom for the hubbie to heft out. He thought it was by the door & didn't realize he didn't put it in with all the rest. :rolleyes: Fortunately, we had shirts elsewhere so we're just missing pants, pj's, robes....
It's beautiful here & I've started working on my saguaro painting. Hard to fit in painting with fixing 3 meals a day. Haven't got to leftovers yet. ;) I may go on a photography/sketch trip tomorrow.
Deborah, I hope your Mom keeps doing better. Chest pains are always worrisome.
Cori, good luck with unpacking.
Sandy, I hope you're resting up from that heated show.

K Taylor-Green
06-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Welcome Debbie! Glad you could join us. Now, you'll have to tell us all about you.You are ahead of us.

Well, so much for no excitement. My son-in-law took my car to get the AC recharged. On the way back, it died, in mid flight so to speak. So hubby went to take a look. Had to tow it to the shop. Turns out it has to do with the timing chain. Should be done tomorrow.
Then I had to take Jess, my hubby, to the ER!!!! Last weekend he had a small accident with a young horse and a horse trailer. I guess it has been getting steadly more painful. Couldn't get him in to see our Doc til July 21st! Can you believe that??!! Anyway, turns out it is badly bruised, no tears or breaks. They gave him pain meds and a steroid anti inflammatory. He will be fine.

We are finally getting some rain. :clap: :clap: It is storming here.

06-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Welcome Debbie! Make yourself comfortable and tell us a bit about yourself...and post a painting or two when you feel ready.

Cori, I am so glad you have finally moved. I know how much work it is, but it's sort of fun work...in a way.

Kate it does sound like you have had more than you share of excitement lately...although most of it has been good. I hope hubby feels better soon.

Agnes, you sound busy! Moving stuff around and cleaning and painting a room...when you are done there...have I got a job for you! :D

You trip sounds wonderful, TAmmy...except for the lack of clothing! :D WEll, it sounds like you are managing...and let someone else do some cooking so you have some vacation/painting time! :D

I am cooled off well...in fact it is downright chilly right now! It wasn't supposed to be but it's fine with me for now.

I went to the portrait group this morning and painted someone's daughter! :D WEll, grown daughter. The elderly person from the place who was supposed to sit for us just had chemotherapy and is not feeling well. :( Anyhow, not a great painting but I know it is good for me to work from life figures like that. And it's always good to paint with friends.

I hope the weather is good enough to paint outdoors sometime this week but it is looking like rain off and on. We'll see...they don't always get it right.

You all have a good week!


Piper Ballou
06-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Happy Monday everyone

Deborah- I am so happy to hear your mother is doing better, that is good news

kate- We just found out that we are on baby watch too...but not until March, my daughter has been so sick and a co-worker mentioned to her that she might have morning sickness so she took the test, and yep....has a doctor's appointment next week, poor girl, she is really sick

Cori- you did not mention Abner, just wondering how he is fairing his new digs...

Anges-you know, we will need before and after pictures of your daughter's room

Debbie- Welcome....this is such a nice place to be.

Tammy- that is too funny, sorry....might mean you get new clothes??? or if you were like me, just wear them the entire vacation ( I sometimes stay home and do that and my daughter gets so mad, but I say I am on vacation and she howls at me) don't worry, it is only for a couple of days

well, I am taking my second class of the summer...a week long affair, already going nuts, this is a math class, so this will be the last week you hear me whine.....ok maybe not

have a good one

06-28-2005, 02:28 AM
lol...Abner doesn't quite "get" his new yard. He just sits at the gate and whines to be let out. I am hoping that as we clean it up and landscape a bit, he will understand that he can play there.

The other animals are faring well. The sugar glider cage broke on the way over, but we seem to have gotten it fixed again.

I keep forgetting the rabbit food at the other house so she has been happy to be getting nothing but hay blocks so far.

Bayond that, the cleaning is pretty much done at the old place and we hand over the keys tomorrow night and can finally concentrate on getting unpacked.

Oh - and I may have exciting news on the job front tomorrow. Just giving you all a little something to look forward to..a mystery as it were. I've been dying to share it for 2 weeks now, but I can't post it publically quite yet. Tomorrow I should be able to.

K Taylor-Green
06-28-2005, 12:53 PM
CONGRATULATIONS PIPER!! Is this your first?
Cori, sounds exciting. I sure don't envy you the moving.
Sandy, Hi! A heat wave the weekend, and a cool spell now? Wierd.

06-28-2005, 01:21 PM
OK, I'll bite! Cori's gettin' that fancy new job she wanted FINALLY!?!?!?!!!??? hopehopehope...anyway Abner will soon discover he has his own personal yard and be happy as a clam, don't worry.

Congrats on the grandbaby, Piper...all good luck to you and your daughter!

06-28-2005, 02:26 PM
It would be a bad career move for me to post publically before everything is set in stone. It's a weird awkward situation at the moment.

I will, however, say that I had an interview this morning for my current position which will make it permanent if I am awarded my own job back. (It's a union thing) but my news is MUCH BIGGER! :evil:

Deborah Secor
06-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Haven't I posted here yet? Hmmm, guess I was just about the last one last week.

Things are getting better with my mom--and thanks for all your support. I hope at 93 I'm as healthy as she is, considering. She's not a worrier, which is a great trait.

Okay--wow--lots going on here...

Cori, there's nothing better than moving into a new place (except that it entails moving out of the old, which is a lotta work!) Can't wait to hear your news... <tap, tap, tap--drumming nails in anticipation>

Yikes, Agnes, that sounds like a lot of moving and improving. Wish I had your energy. Unfortuately I just sit and sip the lemonade! Hope it goes well for you.

Glad you're here with us here, Debbie! We all know each other pretty well, so join right in. :)

Tammy, that sounds like something I'd do! LOL We went off and left the back door, not only unlocked, but wide open the other day. We were gona all day. I asked if he'd done it and he asked if I had, and neither of us listened. *mental note: LISTEN to the answer.

Kate, your life is never dull, is it? Hope hubby improves quickly. Oh, and now rain too! YAY!!!

Piper--a grandbaby? Whoo hoo! Hope your daughter gets over the morning sickness soon. Hey, looking forward to hearing about the next class, too.

Sandy, you're doing so much, painting with the portrait group, working on location. No wonder your work is growing by leaps and bounds! Hope it stays cool but not rainy for you.

I'm painting for the book today. Wish I was more inspired. One good thing, my drawing for painters class has come together. I'm just doing a four week Saturday class here at the house, but I'm ending up with a few newbies and getting reacquainted with some of my former students too. Guess I need to offer more Saturday classes now and then.

Off to paint..........


06-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Wow! I missed that about Piper's grandbaby...too much going on here . COngratulations.

I won't say a word about Cori to jinx things....shhhhhhhhhh......

DEborah, I am so glad to hear your mother is doing better. They are amazing aren't they...these elderly parents of ours. They just keep on ticking. Of course I know it is still tough for them. We had supper with my parents on Sunday night. WE each drove 45 minutes to a restaurant midway. I mean my mother had carotid surgery just a little over a month ago! Whew! SHe will be 90 in August. I know she is not thrilled with how she feels at this point and in many ways wishes she were not still ticking....but she also seems to enjoy life more than she lets on. She is so interested in her 2 great-grandchildren and also in my son's new lady friend. As long as she has positive things going on she manages.

Well, the weather has been strange the last ocuple of days. They keep predicting things that don't happen. Yesterday was supposed to be cold, then they changed it to very warm. In the end it was pretty chilly. Today was supposed to be foggy in the morning then rainy and about 70 or so. Instead the sun has been out for several hours and it is darn warm out there...almost 80! I picked up a couple of plants to pot and one to put into the garden...I got the stuff into the planters but picked upt he shovel to dig a little hole for the beautiful reddish lily to add to the yellow ones (for color when I get around to painting them :D)....but decided rapidly it was too hot. I was dripping and too irritable to bother. I left it sitting in the pot in the garden. It still looks good. Maybe I can get hubby to do it when he comes up! :D
And we are supposed to get some rain tonight. Strange...but really typical New England weather...if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes!


edited because I don't seem to be able to type!

Piper Ballou
06-28-2005, 07:44 PM
My daughter said not to tell anyone about the baby, because she is not very far along, this is her first, my second grandbaby-oldest daughter has a two year old. I told her that I would only tell my closest friends and they could keep a secret....she just rolled her eyes at me....

The math class is driving me crazy...I will admit it is way over my head, mostly taking it because I needed recertification hours for my teacher's license and it pays 250, and need that for my trip to my other daughter's wedding in Michigan so I am enduring this, keep drawing and doodling in my notebook...so coming up with good ideas to paint.
okay, that is my whinning for today...glad to hear everyone is doing so well....

ps...Cori- when are you going to post your news? wishing the best for you

06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
It's frustrating because I have been wanting to tell you guys for 2 weeks now and it is now just resting on a phone call to say that everything is in place. That call didn't come in today. :( My fingers are crossed for tomorrow.

In the meantime, I am typing the whole story up so I won't miss any details. It's a gooder.

Deborah Secor
06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Cori--can you tell us yet???? Not that I'm impatient or anything... HA!

It's just that my computer is going in to have it's guts rearranged tomorrow! I may be out of touch for a couple of days, or longer... We don't plan to wipe the hard drive, but it might happen. You know how long that can take! All that reinstalling. Right now we suspect the modem may have gotten corrupted. I can't stay online long--which is why my posts have been so short! Very trying. grrrrrrrrrgh! (Somebady e-mail me Cori's news if I'm not here to hear it! LOL)

See ya!


06-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Cori, I hope things are going as you had hoped. I know you have been wanting something special for a long time....fingers and toes are crossed for you!!!

WE are having incredible rain and thunder and lightening. An hour ago I was at the computer when lightening came in across the wall!!!! I was totally freaked out! I called hubby and he had me unplug everything. THings seem to have settled fown for the moment but I don't think it is done for the night.
I hate being here alone with all this lightening...and I am supposed to take my grandson to some big SUmmer REading Program kickoff shindig...I hate to let him down but frankly, I'm not sure I want to go out in this.


06-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow, Sandy! Hope you had your rubber soled shoes on! I love thunderstorms but that's carrying it a bit too far even for me! Be careful!

Cori, I'm dying to know what's going on too...

K Taylor-Green
06-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Cori Getting impatient, now!!

Sandy, That's two close calls. Do those things come in threes? Hmmmm??

Well, Babywatch 2005 is officially over. Brooke Emily arrived at 5:05 this evening. She weighs 9lbs. 3ozs., and is 20 inches long. Mother and daughter are both fine. Hopefully, the rest of the babies around here will have 4 legs and tails! Three in one season is just too much excitement!

06-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Congrats on the new grand daugther, Kate! I agree...you need a bit of a break! You're gonna go broke on birthday presents every year, if nothing else!

06-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm going to post this update before I may end up off-line again, then I'll go read up on what everyone's been doing.
I went on a photographic trip yesterday to Chimayo ( left ~8AM). I think I photographed 6 different churches on the route. I got alot of good ones. The clouds had come over in the afternoon & I thought I wouldn't get good ones on the way back but the Lord let the sun shine out when it was time for a photograph. There was one photo of some blue gates that I didn't quite get the right angle & light of. I love them & hope to go back & get a better one before we go home.
In Chimayo, I made myself paint the Sanctuario plein air. I sketched it myself :D & then used hard pastels on Canson. I painted about 21/2 hrs til I heard thunder. I hadn't quite finished the trees but the light had changed. It turned out pretty good.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2005/3341-SanctuariopaintingWC.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2005/3341-Sanctuariopleinair6-05.jpg
I met another couple of artists & it was fun to talk to them.
My allergies had my left eye & nose running all day. I was exhausted when I got home at 5:30 but pleased at what I'd accomplished.
Today I downloaded all the photos from my camera to the computer. Then I've worked some on the saguaro painting. I'm having a hard time getting on-line. Everytime I get some time, he's off-line to do something to his disk or something. We're still having disc trouble....probably going to need a new one. :(

06-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Yep...had my sneakers on! :D I was really freaked out for a while, but I'm fine now.
In the end it cleared up and I took Jacob to the reading program festivities. Had to sit on the gymnasium floor for an hour! Ah! The things we do for grandkids! It was actually a good program...a couple doing a combination mime/illusion/juggling routine. Very well done, not too loud. And at the end they did a very clever bit where they had the Chariot's of Fire score playing and they did a pantomime slow motion race, with lots of pushing and shoving of each other to get ahead.... Jake sat and laughed...and then turned to me and said it was funny but the music didn't really go with it! :D Well, I guess if you are 9 1/2 you wouldn't get that connection.

And...congratulations...again... Kate! WOnderful news. So, is that it, or are you expecting some more of the 4 legged variety? Frankly, you have had so many new arrivals on the way I have lost track! :D


06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Kate, congratulations on Brooke Emily. That's a lovely name. I know you're glad all the mothers are safely delivered.

Cori, I hope your news comes in soon. It must be even harder for you than for us.

K Taylor-Green
06-30-2005, 12:07 AM
LOL Sooz, what if I have to go back towork? :eek: Horrors!

Sandy, This is the last one, I hope...........for awhile. I think they are all done, except Megan. Owen was her first.
Course, hubby's nephew and wife are expecting triplets . But that isn't my worry. :D

06-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Yep - I am getting anxious myself...I called them today and they said they should have an answer to me by tomorrow, hopefully. The mystery IS worth it...you guys might just squeal for me when you finally get to read it :D

06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Welcome Debbie! Glad you could join us. Now, you'll have to tell us all about you.You are ahead of us.

LOL, I guess I can introduce myself. That seems only fair since I've been reading about you all for a few weeks now.

I'm a new artist (just recently started taking lessons, after not doing much beyong doodling on my paper in meetings at work. Last lessons before that were in 8th grade art class). I'm a single mom with a grown son of 26 who is attending law school in New York City, and who celebrates his 4th wedding anniversary today. He married young!

I live alone (no other people that is, :D ) but have 2 dogs and 3 cats. I just lost my third dog to cancer two weeks ago and I still miss him. My house is small and my art "studio" is my dining room table. Just last night I started taking my first "real" art class, a life drawing class at the local art museum. It was hugely intimidating. Before that all I'd done was take "beginning drawing" at the local adult school twice. But all the great stuff I've read here at wetcanvas helped me feel not too freaked out about it. So thanks to all you great folks here. I appreciate it. :clap:

Debbie C.

06-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Well, Cori, forgive me but I've GOT to uncross my fingers and toes for an hour or so here because the circulation is gone from 'em and they're turning blue from waiting! I'll re-cross after a short break! Do NOT answer the phone til I've re-crossed, k???

06-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, that's better Debbie! Now we are getting to know you.
First I would like to say how sorry I am about your dog. I know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially one who is not that old and sick. WE lost one of our cats over a year ago and I still miss him...it is easier now but I still get sad.

Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff getting back into your art, especially coming here! :D REally, we will encourage and help you out. And the life drawing class is super. That is one of the best things to be doing. YEs, it can feel intimidating, but trust me...no one there means to be intimidating. There are usually all levels there but somehow when we are just starting out it seems like all we see are the people who are "better"....but ;you will getr more comfortable over time and you will see your work improve. Be sure to keep all your work and date it so later you can look back and see the progress.
Keep it up and good luck!


K Taylor-Green
06-30-2005, 06:36 PM
So sorry about your dog, Debbie. It will be a year next month since I lost my beloved
Lexie, and I still miss her. She was a shepherd wolf mix, only 6 yrs old. If it weren't for the antics of her half wolf son, Raven..........well let's just say that he has a way of keeping me out of depression, usually by keeping me aggravated!! Just ask the rest of the group. Course, it's been too hot for even him to get up to his usual shanannigans.

I haven't been to a life drawing class in several years. The closest one is a 40 minute drive away. A wonderful way to hone accuracy in your drawing. And drawing is the building block of a great painting.

06-30-2005, 06:41 PM
We are trying to get our van fixed after killing a poor deer at high speed- was supposed to be done today, but they had the wrong parts and have to order from Germany- after a week they find this out. Well, it had to be done since parts kept falling off of the poor thing.... kids and pets are keeping us really busy. I am working on pastel, but also trying to learn watercolor, so I won't get 'pastel burn out'. The goats, dogs, donkeys, kids, and cats are not behaving well- which is typical. I am still trying to figure out how to get rich quick and pay off the art supplies....

Deborah Secor
07-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Whoo hoo! I've been fussin with my computer e-mail all afternoon and was totally frustrated--but I just fixed it! YAY! The thing is running well except for that... so I guess it was worth it to have my neighbor tweak it. Now I have to go through the laborious task of cleaning out my files. I've really overloaded it with photos. Hey--I'm an artist--I like images!

I was cleaning off some animal photos and found a whole file of my old Lab, George. I know what you mean, Kate and Debbie, I still miss him! Such a sweetheart...

Purples, yikes--a deer at high speed is no joke! We swerved to avoid hitting a cow one time and rolled out car. No one was hurt, but it was a miracle, I think.

Okay, after all these hours on the 'puter I'm gonna give the fingers and the neck a rest!


K Taylor-Green
07-02-2005, 11:39 AM
What were we talking about yesterday? I don't remember. Talk about senility!!

07-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Don't worry, Kate...I can't recall either! At least with luck there WAS nothing all that important lost? Biggest news from here is that it's HOT!

K Taylor-Green
07-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey, we've cooled down a little. Had some rain and now yardwork is easier to do, which is what I'm supposed to be doing right now!

07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
We had about an inch of rain the other day...so far, we're doing pretty good on not having to water too much. It's really not that hot here...but I'm a big baby about heat anymore...anything over 80 and I'm whining about it! And those who still live down in the 100+ zones are just gluttons for punishment! Been there, did that years ago and promised myself never to do it again if at ALLLLL possible.

07-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Don't worry, Kate...I can't recall either! At least with luck there WAS nothing all that important lost? Biggest news from here is that it's HOT!

lol so i should just say that I posted my news then.... :evil:

07-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Our computer disc trouble has kept me from being online much. Our son is coming today with a new disc. :clap:
It's been beautiful weather here...70's & sunny. I've been having lots of time to paint. :) It's about to get more hectic here with the addition of in-laws, son, & puppy but it will be fun.
Kori, are you ever going to get an answer?
Deborah, I'm glad you're computer is doing better. I still miss our 1st schnauzer too- she was such a cuddler.
Purples, I"m glad you're all right...those deer can be big.
Sooz, I live where it's hot but I don't go outside much. :wink2:
I found out Artisan's does have Wallis in Taos. :clap: I think I'll go to Taos Tues. I'll be drooling - I don't get much chance to go to a real art store. I'll probably have to get at least a couple of pastels. :evil: I hope to get some good painting photos too but it's going to be alot hotter there.
Have a good day!

07-02-2005, 04:07 PM
lol so i should just say that I posted my news then.

:D WEll, I just figured since you hadn't posted that the news asn't good...and I didn't want to keep pestering.
But....obviously the news was good.
so.....tell us already!

WEather is beautiful here too!


07-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Okay - here's the news..to this point...

You probably all remember a couple of months ago when I had an interview with the Calgary Public School board. It was for an internal communications position that would involve me doing intranet work etc. Anyway - I did not get the job. A couple, or three, weeks ago, the department manager contacted me when I was at home sick. He said that the man they had hired had gone back to his old job with the city (apparently the city had asked him to come back and told him to name his price). So the position was open once again and the manager had asked the HR department if he could offer it to the Runner up for that competition - ME!

I told him I was still quite interested and he said he would like me to come by and discuss the position a bit more fully - see what I would actually be doing. After I got back from Edmonton, I went over to see him and he explained how the job had changed slightly and I would be the internal communications specialist and web authour for the IT department. It's a really good opportunity and it doesn't start until August 2nd. He offered me the job but there was the condition that they had to do a reference check before it could be official. I tentatively accepted based on his condition and went on my way. He said they would call me monday to confirm the offer after the reference check was successful.

Here is where the story takes a bit of a twist. My contract at the college expired June 30 and there was a competition to make the position permanent on July 1. I had applied for this competition and on Monday, they called me to set up an interview for Tuesday - so I set it for 10:45am. The call from the school board didn't come on Monday, but I was hopeful it would come before my interview on Tuesday. That way I could just cancel the interview, explain the situation and then take the month of july off (I have some savings and a lot of Vacation pay coming to me). The call didn't come Tuesday either...so i had the interview...and they started to call my references.

By Wednesday, I was pretty sure I was getting an ulcer, because I still hadn't heard and I had a feeling the call offering me the job at the college was going to come. Late Wednesday it did...but I didn't return it right away (trying to buy myself some time). I called the manager at the school board to see what the delay was and he said that their HR dept was apparently having trouble reaching a couple of my references (not a surprise - most of them are in education and it is summer holiday time right now). he said that if they couldn't reach them by Thurs morning, they would call me for alternate contact info.

Thursday, I was in a workshop most of the day so had an excuse to not call back...still buying time. But my boss came down to call me out of the workshop and tell me to call HR as soon as possible.

At noon Thursday, having still not heard from the school board, I had to accept the permanent position with the college. I didn't get a call from the school board HR deot at all, and now it is the long weekend. I will probably hear on Monday or tuesday, I figure.

So now you all can see why i couldn't post this publicly last week. I really, really wanted to. It is still kinda sticky, but at least I know I have a job if the school board falls through. I doubt they will, but I am a sucker for security.

Piper Ballou
07-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Cori- What great news. If I followed your story correctly, you have the job at the college for sure but you might be offered a job with the Calgary Public School board.

So, do you have another decision to make if you get offered the 2nd job or is that a given?

I do wish you the best.....and congratulations....and speaking for myself, I had figured you secert was about a job...you just killed us with the waiting ;)


07-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Yep - was re-awarded my own job at the college (don't even get me started on how insulting that was - to have to reapply and reinterview for a job I've been doing for 14 months). The Job at the school board has been offered and tenetaively accepted by me..we just have to finish the technicalities of the reference check and a police clearance.

Taking the school board job is a given...it's $5000 more a year and is in my actual field. My current job is more of a support peon and they keep taking more and more design and programming tasks away from me.

I'm pretty excited, but this week has been extrememly stressful.

Deborah Secor
07-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Yikes, Cori, I got heartburn just READING that... no wonder you couldn't talk about it! I'm praying you will be offered the new job pronto, you'll be able to say YES to it, and have the rest of the month off!!!


07-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Well congrats either way....and here's hoping you get the one you want!


07-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Ditto Sandy for me! Let us know when to break out the party hats and champagne!

07-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Cori. Too bad these things have to be so nerve wracking. Either way, you're a winner!

K Taylor-Green
07-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Good luck, Cori. Hope you get the job you want!!

07-03-2005, 05:30 PM
What gorgeous weather we are finally getting her in Maine. ANd...ta-da...it is supposed to last through tomorrow, July 4, when I have another show. Hmmmm...I'm almost nervous at the prospect of having a show when it is in the 70s and sunny....I don't know if I have ever had that kind of weather. It is usually either pouring, drizzling or 99 degrees in the shade! :D At least if I am just sitting there I won't be too uncomfortable!

We took one of my artist friends and her husband out on the boat today...it was just beautiful! White fluffy clouds, pretty blue sky, seas not too rough...just wonderful. They had not ever been out there and she was so excited to see the views she has painted from "the other side!....we both took lots of photos.
Here is one of Wood Island Light, off Biddeford Pool.

I hope you all are enjoying the holiday weekend assuming it't your holiday! if not...just enjoy the weekend!)


07-03-2005, 07:27 PM
slowly but surely I am getting things back to normal. The house is now looking less like stacked up boxes and a bit more like a home should look. We even have a guest room now (and one that is looking remarkably like a hotel I might add :D) and my studio is HUGE!!! Cam and I have decided to split the large area in the basement for our respective studios and then we will enclose his half in a couple of months (sooner if the sound of his x-box doesn't start getting quieter :evil: ). Just my half is over 3 times larger than my old studio so i am pretty excited...except I am short on storage at the moment so will probably have to buy another shelving unit. Within a week i should be painting again. And I hope to have studio pictures to post at that time and maybe even some digital manips of how it will look once I am done renovating.

Haven't been able to recover my lost hard drive with all of my art stuff on it :( Iam still hopeful, though, that we will give it a shake and it will suddenly start working again (even if only for just long enough to burn the contents to disk).

Oh - and i guess I should add that I have this month's piece by piece project up and going and it is a photo this month. So if you are a bit landscape challenged and want to join us - feel free to drop on over. there are still plenty of spots available.