PDA

View Full Version : Tile

Tony Perrotta
01-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi everybody, I have 2 boxes of 12x12 ceramic tiles. Can I use them for block printing, they are slightly textured which might add to the design. I don't need them anymore so I can just throw them out when done, Whadaya think.

Tony

sassybird
01-01-2002, 09:56 PM
If the surface is too slick it won't stick well unless you do a dry point that picks up the ink. Try using a whistlers needle to hand etch on the tile and see what happens. Check out that site on the Inuit Printmaking. They print off stones, but more like relieve printing than lithography. They rub the back of the paper with a wooden spoon or a japanese baren. I have only browsed the site, but it looks interesting. I am always looking for new ways to print, so please post what ever you do so I can see the results.

Tony Perrotta
01-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi Sas, I think I mean mono print.I don't know what I mean... I can put the paint on the tile and transfer it to paper right. You have to remember I know nothing about this, please explain in a way I can understand.

Thanks Tony

timelady
01-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Yes, these sound perfect for monoprinting. I did post a lesson on monoprinting by hand if you want to read it for starters. I use glass or perspex for monoprinting because you need a non-absorbant surface. You could get some interesting results by painting on a set of 4 or something then taking a print! :) With neat gaps between the tiles.

The hardest part will probably be keeping everything still. Use blu-tac or something (that stuff you use to hang posters on walls) on the bottom of the tiles to "fix" them in place on the table while you work. Then tape down your paper on the side so it doesn't shift when you take the print.

Tina.

Tony Perrotta
01-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Yeah Thanks TimeLady, Thats what I meant. Your idea about grouping them together is great. I have a bunch of them so I'll be able to do alot.

Thanks Tony

sassybird
01-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Timelady is giving some excellent advice. Please post some of your results when you finish one. I would like to see how it comes out.

Tony Perrotta
01-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I wish I could post, I have to get a scanner soon, I can't take it any more.

Tony

sassybird
01-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Tony, do you have access to a digital camera? One you could at least borrow for an afternoon ever so often? That is how I do all my postings now. My scanner doesn't work with windows xp, and we only bought the scanner last year at this time.

Tony Perrotta
01-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi Sas, No I don't really have access to a dig cam. I tried a regular cam. when I first joined WC, had the pic's put on disc and it was horrible. Hopefully I get a scanner within the next mo. As you know I've been out of work since June so I have to buy more important things right now.BUT SOON SOON.

Thanks tony

sassybird
01-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Tony, I will be patient and wait:) I understand having priorities for those little little $$ that come in. We still haven't got the bill for co-pay on my surgery, and I am like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs waiting for it to come:(