PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried to shrink-wrap a pastel painting?

aspiring artist
05-04-2000, 11:48 AM
Has anyone tried to shrink-wrap a pastel painting TEMPORARILY? I have an opportunity to sell pastel paintings in a show that has a "starving artist" bin~~~nothing over $50. Art must be matted and shrink-wrapped. Do you think a pastel will suffer much under those circumstances? If anyone can share thoughts on this, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks!

RyderArt
05-05-2000, 01:27 AM
AA,
I have not tried shrink wrapping pastels. I would think with all the static electricity in the wrap...it would have a tendancy to pull pastel off the paper. I would certainly do a test piece...layer on pastels like you would for a normal painting...and then shrink wrap...and see what happens.
If it works great....but I would be cautious.
My other concern would be the handling in the bin....people jostling it around alot...not sure it would hold up.

Stephanie

4vincent
05-05-2000, 07:00 PM
I've seen pastels shrink-wrapped, and have did a little of it myself. Things I used to consider were to make a kind of "shadow box" with a thick foam core "mat" to protect the work, keeping it farther from the plastic, and to do the work on a rigid support with a lot of tooth to hold the pastel. (before wrapping, I would try to dislodge the loose pastel from the support by rapping on the backside) 4vincent

aspiring artist
05-06-2000, 05:52 PM
Thank you, Stephanie RyderArt and 4vincent! Your suggestions were very helpful and I will certainly use them. I appreciate your advice!

Rod
05-06-2000, 08:23 PM
I've seen watercolours shrink wrapped with the mask. But the tend to get buckled as the shrink wrap pulls them in. A rigid frame would be the answer, thick enough to hold the shrink off the pastel and also strong to prevent buckling, but of course this would put the cost up,
Rod

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rod/)