PDA

View Full Version : Gryphon - a friend's grandson

*Violet*
06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-22-2005/46454_GryphonWIP1sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-22-2005/46454_GryphonWIP2sm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Gryphon - a friend's grandson
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8in x 10in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Portrait #2 for me ... a WIP but that forum wouldn't let me upload ... 8v( ....this time it's a small portrait , as i only had small canvases and wanted to get started ... it's 8"x10" and a composition of two photos with a little help from power point and microsoft photo editor ... again i stole the outline to save time and get to the painting part .... honest ... i *will*, i *will* draw from scratch again one day ... but for now i'm practicing the mixing and application of paint that i'm new at ...

any and all advice or comments about anything and everything will be much appreciated ... 8v)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
all feedback will be appreciated ...

dcorc
06-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Looking good - smaller portraits give you greater challenges, as getting placements and shapes exactly right is more critical at the smaller size - for learning purposes, bigger is actually easier.

Face and hands are looking good.

- not convinced about the background, though - makes it look like he's a hologram being projected by some sort of fiendish Martian technology! :D

Waiting to see what you're going to do with the shirt.

As this is a painting in development, I'm moving it into the WIP subforum :)

Dave

laketrees
06-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Great work on the face ...arm...and....hand.........the background colour seems overpowering......the yellow in particular.......does not seem to enhance his skin tones....whereas the lighter green near his elbow does.....you have captured his expression really well....
cheers kim

Rodney
06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Great job Voilet!!
not sure about that bump on his right fore arm? you have capurted the joy of this child for sure. That must be some really good stuff in that bag.
Rodney

*Violet*
06-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Dave - thank you for moving it to WIP where it should be ... don't know why i couldn't upload there thanks for the *Looking good* ... and yes i found out that smaller portraits are a greater challenge ... i'm gonna go shopping for larger canvases today !! .. glad u think the face and hands are looking good ... was worried about the hand bing largish ... about the background ... what should i do now? ... wait til dry and do what? ... i'm a newbie and backgrounds were always my nemisis even in sketches in yesteryear ... the shirt is a white one i gave my friend and will leave it white and see if i can make it convincing ...

Kim - thx for the compliments ... the background trouble me too ... bummer about the yellow not enhancing his skin tones .... i'd hope yellow would be good as my friend has a yellow room i thought she might hang it in if she liked it should i just stretch lighter green to him?

Rodney - i think i addressed the bump on his right fore arm ... tell me if i didn't ... thx for thinking i capurted the joy of this child for sure ...

i tried to upload another pic of it but it won't let me ... says it's invlid ... 8v((( :( :crying: :confused:

*Violet*
06-30-2005, 05:21 PM
here are the two last (?) of this portrait ... making the images less that 15KB to see if they'll upload ... let me know how i'm doing !! ... 8v) ... many thx ...

they won't upload !! ... says they're invalid still ... any suggestions anyone? ... i've been able to upload before ....