PDA

View Full Version : subject of attachment

mjkohler
01-01-2002, 06:36 AM
:D hi happy new year. this picture has also been posted in the critique forum. I am concerned about the right hand side of the picture. The hand and what looks like an enormouse wine glass.

If the wine glass thingy is roned down I am hoping that the hand will be okay in size.

Is this looking sort of old fashioned in its treatment. If so any changes to suggest. mjk

ThinkSeeDraw
01-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Move the girl in closer to the scarecrow or extend the scarecrows body. The wine glass smaller, of course, but, depending on how you want the mood, change how the glass is being held. It looks a little forceful right now with the grip of the glass.
Are those teeth down at the left? Is this like a still life? I think that all the figures should work together, The wine glass doesn't seem to go with the picture. Unless it is serving a purpose i don't see, i am not sure that it should be there at all.
Just my opinion though ;)

mjkohler
01-01-2002, 01:26 PM
hi strawberrie thanks for your reply. yes the wine glass definetely goes. I think that that came through a little because of new year. hand grip will be loosened and/or changed today.

I can under stand scarecrow or girl but I wasn't seeing both. I'll look good today.

One of the thinkgs that I will be doing is putting some bulk into her body in places so that it doesn't look like a cardboard cutout. mjk

mame
01-01-2002, 01:49 PM
maybe changing your paradigm. Maybe not subject matter but values, temperature, line/mass problem solving in order here.

forground/middle ground/background, edges, on and on.

mjkohler
01-01-2002, 04:53 PM
:) does paradigm mean all that!!! mjk:)

mame
01-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Oh, boy. didn't mean to come across as insulting. Just that what's bothering you might be something else. Might not be the glass at all. Just a different way of thinking about things - everything has something to do with everything else. Amen.

mjkohler
01-01-2002, 06:15 PM
:D mame I was incredibly not insulted. I found what you said really stimulating. I am still very new to art and find that your type of experience is very enriching. I also find words that I've never heard of before to be full of wonderful new possibilities. mjk:D

mame
01-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Well, alright then. Carry on........:D

mjkohler
01-01-2002, 08:30 PM
:) if you are sure that is okay. mjk:D

mame
01-01-2002, 08:38 PM
well, that you ask Auntie Mame's permission first is, of course, understood. Go in peace my child. Make more paintings!

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 12:27 AM
here is an updated version Aunty mame. mjk:D

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 12:30 AM
:o :o :D

sdfpipsd
01-02-2002, 12:53 AM
It seems as if you either have too much woman or too little woman. I get the sense that it is a pure abstract image being forced into the shape of a person -or- that it is a painting of a woman that has become too undifferentiated in its painterly-ness to speak clearly. Either way the subject is quite a lot of woman! ;)

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 01:07 AM
okay. I am trying to create an abstraction.

for it to work I believe that there needs to be some solidity to her form.

Perhaps I have created too much solidity.

Or perhaps she needs a breast reduction op. :D mjk

sdfpipsd
01-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by mjkohler
okay. I am trying to create an abstraction.

An abstraction in what sense?

P.S. Your jpeg's are a bit large for people coming in on dial-up connections. If you have Adobe Image Ready you should be able to get very good results at under 120k or so. Perhaps you could try saving the jpegs at about 50% (medium) quality initially and if they clip too much gradually work your way up steps of less compression.

AmyH
01-02-2002, 01:48 AM
look some (more) at dekooning (sp), and go for the reduction. right now those breasts command everything.

personal gripe: I have never been a fan of melding semi abstract with total abstraction in this manner. its like people who have half really short hair and half long...no offense but is not carried off well in most cases, who knows maybe you will pull it off :)

amy

sdfpipsd
01-02-2002, 02:10 AM
This is a work by Alex Kanevsky. It may be a little hard to tell from a little jpeg but this painitng is one big hectic controlled mess. It functions simulataneously as an abstract and as nude, but like those pictures that could be two silhouetted faces or a white vase depending on how you look at them, you can only really view it one way at a time. This approach is one of the more exceedingly difficult styles of painiting and this man has the skills that kills.

nikau
01-02-2002, 02:47 AM
Melinda, as I said in our earlier conversation, your art is going from strenght to strenght. Hope to see you in the Gallery soon! Regards Nikau!!

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 02:55 AM
:) Hi Amy and sdfpipsd (and Hi Nikau I was thinking of coming over your way on Friday). I really do appreciate your feed back on this.

I have given her a little breast reduction. And kept her old ones as well!!! (I cater for all tastes:D )

Unfortunately this is pretty much my style:eek:

I do appreciate your sending me that picture sdfpipsd yes it did look pretty conventional when viewing it on my screen but I will look the artist up and see what I can find on him. mjk:)

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 03:02 AM
:) hi me again sdfpipsd, I just saw your post on the image size. thanks I'll keep that in mind next time. mjk

AmyH
01-02-2002, 03:38 AM
think its better. hope i didnt offend with my comments. I understand about it being your thing.

something about the pull of the breasts still has an uncomfortable feel to me. fear of things to come in my own life? lol

while I understand sdf's post, I see you leaning to a noisier side of figurative abstaction than this particular Kanevsky.

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 05:15 AM
:) Amy, I appreciate any and all comments. It helps me look more objectively at what I am trying to acheive.

I have reduced the right breast a little more and tried a slightly different approach with the hair. It is a little stylized for my satisfaction and has more of a poster feel than a painting to me. however I have finished it to my satisfaction.

Long breasts like that develop when someone has carried a lot of weight then losses it. :)

After posting this picture I will post the picture that I painted it from. mjk

mjkohler
01-02-2002, 05:18 AM
this was the subject which I developed the painting from.