PDA

View Full Version : Duck....

laketrees
06-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Just received an entry form for the Dobell Drawing Prize...(prize money....$20,000.00).....due end of July....so that gives me about a month... thought I would try something different...(to my usual portraits).....here is the photo reference...taken by my son at Taronga Zoo....(has won a few awards for him.... :evil: )...so thought this could make a good drawing.....looking at 2 metres x 1 metre approx..(6' x 4')....on cartridge paper....not sure of medium yet...could be pen and ink or pastels or coloured pencil....any ideas or suggestions welcome.... :) :)
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2005/54304-DUCK.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2005/54304-BW_DUCK.JPG

vhere
06-22-2005, 06:00 AM
great photograph and reflections - a great challenge

I'd want to crop some of the top part but see more of the water and reflections, the most interesting aspect. Either a portrait or square format.

Colours will be wonderful and vivid and do keep those lost edges of pale trees against bright light

that's my initial thoughts :)

Vivien

Mikey
06-22-2005, 06:28 AM
Hi Kim, I can't help much at all here, but admire you for taking these things on. Success is for those who go for it.

Mikey

laketrees
06-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi Vivien..and Mikey....thanks for the advice....this is really experimental for me... :eek: as I don't do landscapes normally....have a big roll of paper and pastel pencils...have looked at cropping......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2005/54304-DUCK.JPG

and might try this...
cheers kim

LisaArt
06-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Oh Kim, Catching up on WC....My parents have left today.
Have to say this look like quite an interesting project. I love this idea and the new crop. You will do a great job! Anxious to see it develop into a Kim Masterpiece!
I can see why Alex has won awards with this photo. Bravo.

laketrees
06-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi there....Lisa.......so....great ....to see you... :clap: hope your time with your parents was enjoyable...I bet the time went quickly while they were there...and it must be hard saying goodbye....... :( especially when they live so far away....
looks like rain here and very cold so will probably work on this drawing at the weekend....this could end up abstract ... :evil:
cheers kim

LisaArt
06-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Hey Kim, abstract...sounds good...real good :) Have a great weekend!

Gilberte
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
That is a super photo and Oh My Goodness what a beautiful place.
Have a go at it Kim, your style, your personality ... it will work !

Spyderbabe
06-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Kim! LOVE the photo..... what a talanted photographer!!
When I look at it I think it lends itself to a treatment of watercolor background with pen and ink drawing on top.... that way you can catch the water-y effect , lush darks and jungle-y colors and still have a line drawing of all those leaves and feathers and intricate twigs....... this will be a fun one for sure.

laketrees
06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Gilberte...sort of skirting around this one at present ....trying to get motivated....(maybe I'm just a portrait painter at heart....... :( :)
Hi Kathleen....you are right about the water colour....but I've never really used watercolour...love seeing others watercolours....but seem to avoid it....maybe I could try watercolour pencil....the ink sounds good too...I really think you and Gilberte would be better at this ..... :evil: :evil:
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
06-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Kim, wishing you luck on this one. Wonderful reflections in that water. Will be very interested to see how you tackle this.

laketrees
06-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi Anita.... :wave: ...have put this on hold until I finish the turban drawing...this one might be a holiday job.... :evil:...have a nice weekend..... :)
cheers kim