PDA

View Full Version : Artworks Software

binkie
06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Has anyone actually tried the Artworks Software advertised here on WC? I've been looking at it and it was also briefly mentioned in another thread.

binkie

HarvestMoon
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Is that the one with the kind of wierd looking beings on it? To me the people's faces, hands, etc. look more alien than human...

Shari
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
I think the software looks good, I talked to the guy in Canada but unfortunately he doesn't have the software for a Mac and I am about to make the switch from PC to Mac, finally! I particularly think the software would be good for me, because I am not a great drawer and it's not my favorite part of painting, I usually can't wait to get to the Color! I would be interested to hear from anyone who is using it.

Shari

binkie
06-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Purples, the software is very nicely done. No weird beings.

Shari, Think I'm going to order it and give it a try. Will let you know what I think.

binkie

*Marina*
06-22-2005, 06:01 PM
I am interested in buying it as well. Will wait though until we are back from our holiday. Will be interested to know what you think about it.

Marina

Khadres
06-22-2005, 07:07 PM
I have it but haven't played around with it that much yet. I know 1mpete (Mikki) has it too and was raving about it. It doesn't do any drawing for you, but has all sort of grids you can use and helps analyze color, etc. Apparently, I should be getting the new version as an upgrade soon, so I'll take a closer look at it and get back to you.

binkie
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
I ordered it this afternoon. Will be receiving it in about 10 business days. Will also let you all know.

binkie

HarvestMoon
06-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I have (somewhere on a dead computer) photoshop, which I always found difficult, and Image ready, which according to my free 30 day download of photoshop now comes with image ready (great for sizing, color correcting, optimising and cropping pics especially for the internet. They have a great grid system, BUT you have to take it into photoshop to print it- it still has the grid- then you print it and there seems to be no way to print the picture WITH the grid. Also, I can't seem to find the option to turn the picture in B&W easily. Which of you guys use photoshop and have you tried these things? I was looking for the artworks site, and found 2 things by that name that were obviously not the software. Anyone have the url?

*Marina*
06-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi purples,
Here is the internet site: http://www.artelligentmedia.com/artworksb1.html. I am afraid I can't help you with photoshop.

Marina

HarvestMoon
06-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Thank you Marina!

Khadres
06-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I have (somewhere on a dead computer) photoshop, which I always found difficult, and Image ready, which according to my free 30 day download of photoshop now comes with image ready (great for sizing, color correcting, optimising and cropping pics especially for the internet. They have a great grid system, BUT you have to take it into photoshop to print it- it still has the grid- then you print it and there seems to be no way to print the picture WITH the grid. Also, I can't seem to find the option to turn the picture in B&W easily. Which of you guys use photoshop and have you tried these things? I was looking for the artworks site, and found 2 things by that name that were obviously not the software. Anyone have the url?

First, the URL should be visible in the side panel when you come into the forum...it's one of the WC sponsors. Just click on their ad.

As for the grid thing in Photoshop, I've never found that feature before so can't answer to that...I wish it WOULD print a gridded image, tho and if anyone knows how to make it do that, share the info, okay?!

As for turning an image into grey scale (shades of black and white), that's easy...just click on IMAGE then Greyscale...lol. You were likely looking for something that said black and white... Just be sure to save your file under a new name or you'll lose your color version forever!

HarvestMoon
06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
here is the one I keep looking at:
http://www.cloudstars.com/
with the alien looking beings... sorta like George W.

Khadres
06-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh, that stuff's just way too creepy for me! I can't stand stuff like that...it's too surreal and scary for my tastes. I also don't care for the little baby on the Quizno's commercial whose mouth moves and talks like an adult. He really IS alien!

Here's the link to the stuff I have:
http://www.artelligentmedia.com/

HarvestMoon
06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Binkie- this isn't the one that I saw the ad for- where you start with blocks then go to humanoid type shapes.... the Artworks software looks pretty nice!

HarvestMoon
06-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Aha! I found the alien software (which may be pretty good but their ad looks pretty wierd)
http://www.cloudstars.com/

binkie
06-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Purples,

Just saw your question. Looks like you found the answer. It is the one for which Sooz above listed the link. Here the link again: http://www.artelligentmedia.com

binkie

HarvestMoon
06-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Sooz, if you have the Imageready part of photoshop- that is the best part- and the new version (I downloaded the trial) allows you to put a grid- used to ask for pixels or distance, now it logically askes for how many lines across and down. However, imageready is super wonderful for preparing pictures to publish to the internet. In fact I never noticed until I was playing with it that you can't print from it- but when I take the picture into photoshop, the grid is still there- and it will print, but it will not print the grid! You can get around it by copying it and pasting into something like paintshop, but that means 3 pieces of software for one thing!

Would like to hear from the Artworks users if your software can do this and turn it into B&W

meowmeow
06-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I have the original program, Color Notes...that's the one Mikki has as well. I really like it. I know I don't use it to its full advantage, but the grid thing is terrific. You can set it for a regular grid or for one with the golden mean. And yes, you can print it with the grid...usually setit up with the golden mean thing to make sure my composition is somewhat correct...and if there is any architecture or anything complicated I will print it out with the grid. And yes, you can make it black and white...it does lots of helpful things with value.
And...what I am super impressed ahout...I got the original version a while back and they are automatically mailing the upgrade to anyone who has that, free of charge. You can't beat that! It looks like some of the upgrades will be very helpful.
I recommend it.....definitely!

Sandy

Shari
06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
I wish they would come out with a version for Mac, because I am about to switch from a PC to a Mac but they are not going to have that available. I called and talked to them, and they said since more people use PC's, there wouldn't be a Mac version. Too bad.

Shari

binkie
06-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks Sandy, I am really looking forward to receiving my copy and putting it to use.

binkie

binkie
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
My software arrived today. I've loaded it and played with it a little. I know I'm going to really like it! Haven't learned how to do everything but I think this will be a very helpful tool.

binkie

SweetBabyJ
07-08-2005, 08:17 PM
You can grid with PhotoShop or PaintShop- but only using what is called a "plug-in". This is a script someone's written specifically to work with PS or PSP- Google around for PS/PSP plug-ins and you'll probably find one. Alternately, post in the DigiForum and see if someone has one they'll send to you.

Discworldjunkie
07-16-2005, 08:29 AM
The blocks to humanoid is basic drawing. It might not be the technique for everyone but it is useful. You can download the best drawing instructional materials EVER made www.saveloomis.org by Andrew Loomis. The stuff about proportion and highlight, midtone and shadow and perspective and all that rocks!! The tomes are old, but the knowledge is still useful.

:)