PDA

View Full Version : Pastels and Safety

mozart
01-07-2000, 09:25 PM
Having allergies and asthma, I have been reading in the art magazines more info on the hazards of breathing the pastel dust. I mainly use hard and medium soft varieties and try not to disperse them in the air. IS there still a risk for me? I would rather not use them if there is danger of worsoning my condition.

Debbie

Rod
01-07-2000, 09:37 PM
Hi,
Can't say for sure,main hazard is when artists blow off the excess pastel after blending and cause a cloud of dust. Tapping the board while upright with a tray to catch the pastel dust is best.
Rod.

bruin70
01-08-2000, 12:29 AM
get an air purifier

anita Stewart
01-09-2000, 01:14 AM
It wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor.They are doing more and more research on toxins and how they affect you..

sandyartist
02-26-2000, 03:27 PM
Mozart...the air-purifier is a good idea..do you know what you are allergic to? I dust is a factor, try wearing a pollen mask..lots of people do that, also use 2" wide masking tape..out like a shelf..at the bottom of your pastel paper in an upright position..this traps falling dust and holds it from migrating into your studio air and surfaces..then just toss it when you are finished..cheap and works really well.

crispycritter2008
02-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Re: air-purifier.. a teacher recently definitely recommended this for indoor studio work. Also, I just saw in a woodworking catalog an air filtration system, good as low as one micron. I suppose if it works for woodworkers, it must work well for artists and pastel dust.

Rusla
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
As an asthmatic, I found it caused me more problems with the pastel dust. However, the new Pan Pastels I don't even wear a mask when working with them. The sticks I have had to wear a mask with.

Randi-Lee