PDA

View Full Version : Jackie's a star

ann.bun
06-18-2005, 06:45 PM
I've just got back from a class at the Irish Pastel Society. Jackie gave it. She talked for an hour or so last night, and then we painted still life all day today. She was absolutely great! She gave everyone, and there were 25 of us, a really good lesson each and a critique at the end. I learnt a lot. Everyone thought she was great.
Only problem is that I'm off in our boat for 6 weeks on Monday and wont get a chance to practice what she preached. Pastels are too messy for a small boat. The only time you get to paint in a boat is when something needs to be fixed and you have to wait for a man to come.

Bringer
06-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi,

well....where's a drill there's a hole....:-)

Regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
06-19-2005, 11:36 AM
How lucky you are. I would love the opportunity to attend a talk by Jackie!!
Hopefully all that great info won't have faded away before you get back! Happy sailing!

HarvestMoon
06-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Well, we knew Jackie was a star... and I always wanted to go to Ireland...

jackiesimmonds
06-19-2005, 01:32 PM
thanks so much for this Anne ... actally, the students were the stars, all so enthusiastic and ready to try just about anything! JUST what a tutor needs. It was very rewarding.

J

Sherry Richardson
06-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Actually, Jackie is teaching a 3 day class in the Seattle area NEXT June through LaConner Art Workshops, and I just sent in my deposit. Mikki might attend, and I'm trying to persuade a couple of others to make the trip. If you'd like to fly up and need help with arrangements, let me know.

Sherry

ann.bun
06-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, I would totally reccommend her courses. She hit the spot with a mixed bag of people, from relative beginners like me, to some accomplished artists.
Some things, amongst many, she said that I hope I will remember are
Do thumbnail sketches first.
Look for echoing patterns in your pictures, curves, circles etc.
Put dark against light.
When you pick out your colours choose 3 related colours of one tone, don't just plonk down one blue, choose 3 blues of the same value.
I'm sure you all know this. I knew it in my head but not my heart, so to speak. She made it all come alive.
Everyone, from the novices to the real artists, was singing her praises.
I'm off to the boat tomorrow. No more baths, only a dribbly shower. :wave:
Ann

binkie
06-19-2005, 10:35 PM
There's no doubt that Jackie is a star! She sure is in my book!!! Do you have the info. on the workshop? I would love to attend if it can be arranged.

Sherry Richardson
06-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Gwen,

The dates are June 16-18, 2006. Here's the link: http://www.laconnerartworkshops.com/schedule2006.htm

Robyn at Dakota Art Pastels / LaConner Art Workshops hasn't posted the price yet, but I don't expect that it will be out of line with workshops held in 2005. If there are enough Wetcanvas people at the workshop, I was thinking I would plan an artist's reception, or at the very least we could all go out to dinner as a group. Anyone who would like to join in, please pm me.

Sherry

jackiesimmonds
06-20-2005, 06:27 PM
yes, everyone DO come! It will be such fun to have a classfull of WC-ers!

However please let me disabuse yuo of any thoughts that I have all the answers and am a "star". I am just a hard-working tutor, who tries to talk sense about painting basics rather than resort to patting people on the back just to encourage them.

Am now off to go look to see what Robyn has said.....

J

binkie
06-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Jackie,

You are a great teacher and have been so much help to me personally. Your explanations are clear and concise. Have to admit that my art teacher does not explain things nearly as well. My only concern about attending a workshop is that I really am just a fledging wanna-be, a determined one, and I'd hate to waste your time.

binkie

Sherry Richardson
06-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Gwen,

I don't want to answer for Jackie, but my experience with workshops (or even when I took art classes in college) has been that every class had a range of students, unless it specifically stated that it was an advanced class (and I don't think this one is.) Unlike regular classes in high school where you had to wait for everyone to catch up, in a workshop, there is usually a presentation and then everyone works on his or her own. The instructor visits each person for roughly the same amount of time. The conventional wisdom is that no one does their best work at a workshop, and my two bits is that enthusiasm and a desire to stretch yourself and try new things is much more important than having a broad depth of knowledge.

So....my vote is that you sign right up. (And that you sit next to me, 'cause I go to learn and have fun!)

Sherry

binkie
06-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks Sherry, I do want to learn. I will seriously look into it since I'd love to take a workshop from Jackie.

binkie