PDA

View Full Version : Strawbs, SP over OP

E-J
06-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Hope the Soft Pastel Studio is the right place for this one.

I started this a year ago, using an image from the Ref Library, and worked it up to a point of near-completion in oil pastels. I then abandoned it because I couldn't face trying to depict the highlights on the strawberry dimples :) Finally went back to it this evening and worked over the OPs with Nupastels, so most of what you see now is in fact soft (hard) pastel. I still need to define a few of the little black seeds and will post again when I've added them. I really wanted to get this posted up tonight, though - it's been an irritating presence in my painting room for the past year!!

It's 9x12" on Art Spectrum Colourfix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2005/13865-strawbs.jpg

This is one of those paintings which inexplicably looks much better on screen than in real life, so perhaps it's one to make prints from rather than a keeper in itself.

billiam
06-17-2005, 06:43 PM
beautifully done, reminds me i have some in the refrigator to eat. your looks better than mine. bill

Bringer
06-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I like your painting and you know that I cannot paint as well as you but you are not going to take bad what I'm going to say.
Of course that strawberries can have different tones, but yours remind me of tomatoes. I know this sounds awfull, but thats what reminds me :-)
I do think that it's difficult to paint strawberries especialy with all that irregularity on the surface.
You should PM Rose Bags, she made this wonderfull strawberries painting and I'm sure she'll be glad to help you.
Nonetheless a good work.

Regards,

José

Khadres
06-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Well, of course, strawberries can be just about any shade of red depending on their ripeness and where they're grown. This is fantastic in that you actually got the soft pastels to work so well over the oil pastels...must've worked well because the ops had set up really good first? Interesting exercise and very well done!

*Marina*
06-18-2005, 05:00 PM
I like your painting. To me they really look like strawberries. Must be extremely difficult to get all those seeds (if that is the right word) drawn properly. I think you managed that quite well. I like the result.

Marina

Pinecone Conniff
06-18-2005, 06:06 PM
To me the star of the show is not the strawberries...but the wonderful reflections of the bowl!! :clap:
Annette

prestonsega
06-18-2005, 11:53 PM
- it's been an irritating presence in my painting room for the past year!!................This is one of those paintings which inexplicably looks much better on screen than in real life, .

What a good feeling to get an annoying unfinshed work completed and out the door (or in the pile).......I, too have noticed that some pics, mostly softies, look better on screen, but the oil pastels more often appear not as good on screen as they are in real life.

E-J
06-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Thank you for your comments! José, thanks for your suggestions ... but I'm rather glad you were the only one who saw tomatoes :)

Final pic. I figured 'less is more' and put in only the seeds which show up most on the reference photo. The strawberry at top left still needs a quick tweak, then I'll add this one to my website!

I suspect that really soft pastels might work even better over OPs than the harder ones. Have to try that sometime.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2005/13865-strawbs.jpg

Susan Borgas
06-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Yum, pass the cream please! Lovely work E-J :clap: :clap:

Bringer
06-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi again,

But you added the seeds to make them less «tomatoes» :-)

Kind regards,

José

RUNEMASTER
06-20-2005, 10:29 AM
nice work.

sweetapplez
06-20-2005, 02:19 PM
E-J, Lovely work. The seeds made all the difference. I like the reflections too. Didn't know you could use softies over oils.

meowmeow
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
They look delicious....just plump and juicy...and very strawberry like! Nice dish too.

Sandy

t-sue
06-21-2005, 12:25 AM
The berries are great and the metal is too!!!! And softies over oilies? Cool! Well done!!!!