PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Styles

amanda
11-15-1999, 12:11 AM
Last week I did a pastel painting which I though turned out pretty good. I have been doing lessons at a local gallery with watercolour mainly. Anyway, when I showed the artist my work, his first opinion was that it was a great piece of work, later he referred to it as too tight. I was wondering if this would be just because he is a watercolour artist and tends to be really loose with his style. I tend to paint that way when I paint in watercolour (mainly because he is the one who taught me!) but when I paint pastel, I just love to be fairly presice and accurate. I do get rid of some hard edges to soften the piece but not really loosen up like in watercolour. Anyway, it just bothered me that since he doesnt do pastels, he would say that. What do you think?

bruin70
11-15-1999, 10:11 PM
his comments were subjective. do what's comfortable for you.

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

anita Stewart
11-19-1999, 10:10 PM
Good advice.It's important to always push yourself beyond what you think you are capable of..I keep comparing painting to singing..What makes a good song vs a great song ? I think that is one of the reasons work like GranMa Moses' became popular,even though it was rejected at first: too flat, too childish..on and on went the comments,critisisms as she continued to receive recognition..
I firmly believe the artistic achievements can be accomplished with a great variety of tools.It's the experience and practice that make the difference..The medium is only a tool.I'm relearning thsi one myself..Doing a pen and ink of someone's house..Boy do I miss my freedom to use free flowing lines..Does anyone know of an easier way to get this black ink out of the paper??what a pain when you make a mistake..I've been using an emory board on Bristol board..I refuse to use Liquid Paper,even if Michael Nesmith's mom invented it..I think all that monkeying around drove her to inventing help with paper work!!!!!!( sorry about the Cheeze)

bruin70
11-20-1999, 02:43 AM
"A painting that "looks" tight, does not have that mature professional look."

sandi,,,have you ever seen aaron shikler's work?

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 11-20-99).]