PDA

View Full Version : Pen sketches of Sara

Irina
12-30-2001, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I am trying my hand at drawing, mostly graphite but I happened to have a liner for drawing and writing at hand and used it for a change. I don't really know if it qualifies like a pen :o .
So here come sketches of Sara. It was a little hard as Sara is black :) . Experience with a pen (?) was actullay fun.

Is there something special one should keep in mind when using pen for drawing as opposed to using a graphite pencil?

Thanks in advance,

Irina

Wyobud
12-30-2001, 07:40 PM
Hi Irina........A nice job on your sketches of Sara. It shows confidence and a good sense of modeling and light source.

I've found that there isn't that much difference in the two drawing media. Mainly the pencil is correctable and the pen is not. One thing you will learn with the pen is the many varieties of points available. It will really will give you an appreciation for the value of the simple line.

Keep up the good work

BUD

RuthT
12-30-2001, 10:09 PM
Lovely sketches Irina.

I like the way your drawing suggests muscle formation in the middle one.

NorahT
12-30-2001, 10:22 PM
Nice sketches, especially the middle one - you managed the black colour well. Give Sara a pat for me :)

dnip24
12-30-2001, 11:30 PM
cool picture Irina, good job!

Irina
12-31-2001, 04:16 AM
Thanks everyone for watchin and commenting!
You've encouraged me to try more. :)

Sara is the one on my shoulder in the tinyhead pic and now trying to tap on the keyboard. ;)

In the upper sketch she is supposed to be washing herself, her head going forward and backward, reaching all the way to the tail. Was not easy to capture that movement. It was also difficult to make her fur look soft, it looks like wires on these sketches. :o

BUD, I will pay more attention to the variety of points. Never seen any pens in those art supply shops at all, may be because was never actully looking for one :)

The fact that the pen is not correctible actually shows to be good for me: when with graphite pencil backed up by the eraser, I tend to end up with a lot of lines I don't need and have to erase, so it's a lot of erasing.

Ruth, thank you. She likes that sketch, too. ;)

Nora, thansk she asked me to pat you back. ;)

dnip24, thanks!

Have a very "drawy" New Year!

IrinA

sassybird
12-31-2001, 02:47 PM
Irina, you can achieve that soft look by using more solid blacks with white as the high lights. That is something I have worked hard at doing myself over the years. You are right, it isn't easy.

I hope to see more of your work here. It is so nice to have living models around even if they don't always want to cooperate.....lol Give that kitty a pat for me too:)

Ginette
12-31-2001, 05:16 PM
I like the appoach of the shapes and body position being the focus, rather than cat details.

Very good.

Ginette

Irina
01-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Sassybird, thanks for the advice, I will practise some more and hope to get better at that. Promise to give Sara a pat from you. :)

Ginette, thanks for commenting! You are right, I focused on the body position rather than details (besides, I am not that good at details yet ;) )

Happy drawing!

IrinA

els
01-02-2002, 06:15 AM
Irina, these are really good...

I think BUD said everything.

Eamon

woodsyl
01-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Irina,

I really like the sketches of your black cat. You have certainly captured the poses that they often like to strike. You have inspired me to try the same thing with my cat.

I have tried the watercolour project (Rod's), and have completed everything so far, except colouring in the cat. Doing the sketches may help me get up my nerve to finish the watercolour.

Good job, and I hope to see more!

Happy New Year,
Sylvie

Irina
01-08-2002, 03:01 AM
Sylvie, thanks for you kind words. Sometimes I rack my brain over the subject for my sketching/ drawing and forget I have two beautiful cats that are perfect for this purpose (also because I like watching them move around or just being still).

Looking forward to see your watercolor cat. :)

IrinA

Flattwo
01-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Hi Irina

I am a lover of pen and ink, you have got the middle sketch spot on, well done, keep up the good work.

I have a black and white Cat and have never thought of drawing her, one for the future.

Regards

Flattwo